Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HEAVY LIFTING  (Read 21817 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
HEAVY LIFTING
« on: June 14, 2004, 12:00:17 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes have lifted you heavily, and now it is time for you to post all the livelong day and night.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 12:00:27 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:HEAVY LIFTING
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 12:17:21 AM »

"Opposite your Smile" from "The Card"
"In One Of Weaker Moments" from "Budgie"
"No-One To Call Me Victoria" from "I and Albert"
"Only Heaven Knows" from "Only Heaven Knows"
"I'll See You Again" from "Bitter Sweet"
"The Day After Tomorrow" from "Blitz"
"Some Of Us Belong To The Stars" from "Billy"
"The Good Old Bad Old Days" from "The Good Old Bad Old Days".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 12:19:31 AM »

Congratulations
[/b]

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]
ANN
[/b][/size][/move]

On Your Ascendancy to Godhood!
[/b]

(in case anyone wasn't paying attention to the last of yesterday's notes)

« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 12:20:58 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 12:20:11 AM »

I had a very cool "god dance" pic...but it won't let me post it...hmm..let me try again

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 12:22:44 AM »

Here goes nothing...

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 12:23:34 AM »

slightly out of focus, but it'll do! :D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 12:24:37 AM by Ann »

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 12:28:34 AM »

Another few favourites:
"We'll Gather Lilacs" from "Perchance To Dream"
"Our Language Of Love" from "Irma La Douce"
and "I Know Now" from "Robert And Elizabeth"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004, 12:29:48 AM »

DR Ann. No problem. Takes a while to get the focus right in this rarified atmosphere.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2004, 12:32:14 AM »

Welcome eight GUESTS.

I also adore I Know Now, and Our Language of Love.  I adore most of Irma la Douce.  I'm basically speaking of musicals that never played the States, so we don't get things like Oliver and stuff.  I also am very very fond of many songs in Passion Flower Hotel.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2004, 12:37:46 AM »

"Poor Wandring One," "I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major-General," and "When a Felon's Not Engaged in His Employment," from The Pirates of Penzance

"Three Little Maids from School Are We," and "The Sun Whose Rays are All Ablaze," from The Mikado.

(I really should know more G&S, but I've never gotten around to learning their shows the way I ought.  I've a fleeting familiarity with Pinafore and Patience, no pun intended re Pinafore, but I don't know them well enough to single out specific songs.  As for The Mikado, I stage managed a production during my college days, one of the best pleasures I had during those years.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2004, 12:42:10 AM »

...I'm basically speaking of musicals that never played the States...

Oh!  Uh...hmmmm...Now you're going to have to excuse my illiteracy.  *hangs head in grave shame, dogs lick hand in sympathy, or else they want snackies*

Tomovoz

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2004, 12:50:36 AM »

I'm rather fond of "The Good Companions" too. "It's Always Darkest Just Before the Dawn".
I'll may well remember more later.
"Windy City" has some songs I really like also. "I Can Talk To You" is one.
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2004, 01:22:15 AM »

Welcome, DR Ann.  So nice of you to join us up here.  Isn't the view wonderful?

:D

-Now I'm going to bed.... grrr...
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2004, 06:10:59 AM »

Two from Lionel Bart's Blitz:

"Far Away," and "The Day After Tomorrow."

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2004, 06:12:34 AM »

DR Ann,

Congrats on your elevation.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2004, 06:26:55 AM »

If we mean non-US shows that eventually played here I'd say anything from IRMA LA DOUCE (especially "A Prison Cell") and all of AMOUR (I can't spell the French title).

For shows that never played the colonies except for stock or dinner theatre, I enjoy THE FRONT PAGE (especially the opening number), BAR MITZPHA BOY ("This Time Tomorrow" and BILLY ("Some of Us Belong to the Stars).
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2004, 06:38:25 AM »

CONGRATULATIONS, GODDESS ANN!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2004, 06:42:54 AM »

Non familiar enough with shows that haven't played the US to answer today's TOD.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2004, 06:43:30 AM »

There isn't too much I can say about today's topic. One song that fits the bill  and  I'm very fond of is "I'll Never Fall in Love Again"  (Greenwell & Wildeblood) from THE CROOKED MILE.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2004, 06:46:36 AM »

Finished the Noel Coward diaries this morning. Disappointed that they ended three years before his death. Not that I wanted a sad catalogue of physical ailments as he slowly walked into the sunset, but I thought there might be a description of him receiving a special Tony Award and the hoopla around that. And he accepts a knighthood right at the end, but no description of the ceremony, etc.

Still, I enjoyed the book enormously, and it made me investigate his musicals which he was describing in the diary more closely.  Next is the Moss Hart biography DAZZLER.

Jason

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2004, 06:59:21 AM »

I'm with Matt. I don't know enough shows that haven't played the States in some way, shape or form to contribute to the topic of the day. Musicals that are set in foreign countries...? Sure! Foreign shows that have played the U.S....? Of course! Otherwise...? Umm....

Now, can someone tell me why it took an hour to get to work today? I don't understand it.

Today someone called asking for THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS. I explained to him that there is no stage adaptation of that movie. Then he asked for A CHORUS LINE and I explained to him that we don't have that show, but that we carry such classics as THE MUSIC MAN, WEST SIDE STORY, ANNIE, LITTLE SHOP and more. He said he was looking for something along the lines of THERE'S NO BUSINESS..., and I suggested the revue BLAME IT ON THE MOVIES. He asked me if it had a plot and I said no, explaining to him that it was a revue of movie musicals. He then asked if the script indicated when to change sets and costumes. I said, no...that's up to the director. Then I suggested SINGING IN THE RAIN, which is a classic movie musical that actually has a stage adaptation--exactly what he was apparently looking for. He repeated the title back to me and then asked, "Does THAT have a plot?" And this man is a teacher...

MBarnum

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2004, 07:26:11 AM »

I agree BK that HIGH AND LOW is a fantastic movie! And playing Toshiro Mifune's lovely wife is pretty Kyoko Kagawa just fresh from her lead role in MOTHRA!

Hmmm, I guess I don't want to pay $30.00 for that Criterion release if it isn't all it should be. Guess I will have to wait to see it again.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2004, 08:04:35 AM »

DR Jose, I know exactly why you're having trouble with your DVDs. In running your DVD player through your VCR, the DVD player thinks you're trying to copy the copy-protected DVDs and is cycling light levels to discourage you from copying. The DVDs that don't cycle brightness like that are the ones that aren't copy protected.

When I got my first laserdisc player eons ago, my TV did not have any jacks on the back to plug it in, but I was able to plug it into my VCR and run it through that just as you're trying to do with your DVD player. The difference is that laserdiscs are not copy protected and commercial DVDs are. That's exactly why you're having trouble.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2004, 08:09:56 AM »

DR Jason, what a horror story! But the ignorance of some "educated" people can still amaze me.

An ex- of mine who loves to do theater has very little practical knowledge of shows, roles, songs unless it's a show he's already done. So, if you say A CHORUS LINE to him, he'd probably ask "Are there any male roles in that? Is there a part in it for me." He doesn't even know the most basic shows like HELLO DOLLY or THE MUSIC MAN, even though there are movie versions of them out there. So, when a local group announced it was doing ANYTHING GOES recently , I get the inevitable call, "Is there anything in that show for me?"

MBarnum

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2004, 08:31:11 AM »

By the way...happy birthday to Mr. Cal Bolder (a.k.a. E. C. Craver)...in celebration you might like to purchase his book The Last Reunion...it is quite good and very thrilling and it is available at Amazon.com!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2004, 08:54:56 AM »

If you don't know foreign musicals (this includes other countries besides the UK), then you may use foreign musicals that did get to the US.  

MBarnum

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2004, 09:11:43 AM »

OH, I almost forgot to welcom DR Ann to the heavens! It happend under the darkeness of night and so I wasn't around to celebrate!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2004, 09:11:56 AM »

[move=UP,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
YOU HAVE ASCENDED TO YOUR RIGHTFUL PLACE IN THE HEAVENS, ANN!  WELCOME!!
[/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2004, 09:16:11 AM »

JRand53, how did rehearsal on the new play go? Or have you gone yet! Do you got those lines memorized!!!!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2004, 09:18:40 AM »

And one for Mahler!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up