Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: EYE ON THE SPARROW  (Read 24176 times)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
Re:EYE ON THE SPARROW
« Reply #210 on: May 26, 2007, 06:53:06 PM »

This was at the arboretum about 60 miles away, where all the butterflies are free. Some of the other photos were from a captive butterfly exhibit (now closed) at the nearby botanical garden.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #211 on: May 26, 2007, 06:55:03 PM »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #212 on: May 26, 2007, 06:57:39 PM »

Now for the bad/puzzling news...

I just got back from the 7:00 showing of "Private Property ("Nue propriété).  When I left the theatre, I figured it had to be at least 9:30... It was only 8:40... :-\

The cast was headed by the always amazing Isabelle Huppert, and she shared most of the screen time with real life twins (and rather cute too!) Jérémie and Yannick Renier playing her twin sons.  This happened.  Then that happened.  Then we watched them fight.  Then we watched them watch TV.  It was one of those very measured and "simple" movies where we observe people's lives.  Joachim Lafosse was the director, and for what it was, it was good.  Alas, I found most of it a bit tedious, drawn out, and a little too artsy (plain) for it's own good.

When the movie finished, I heard many people asking their companions, "What was that?"  I was asking the same thing, just to myself, in my head.  Once I returned to street level - the cinemas at Lincoln Square are underground - I went back to the display ad for the movie which featured the somewhat glowing NY Times review.  I just had to read it to see if there was anything I had missed.  Well... Other people who had just seen the movie were doing the same thing.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #213 on: May 26, 2007, 06:58:28 PM »

Saturday evening greetings!  We are back from DN (dear niece) Lauren's high school graduation, which took place without incident.  My theory is that the perps of the threat got what they were after - front page coverage.

There is now great music in our house.  DH Richard received his packet of sheet music and a rehearsal CD for the Miami University Men's Glee Club 100th Anniversary Concert in which he will sing on June 16.  He's playing the CD on his computer and singing the bass part.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Tomovoz

« Reply #214 on: May 26, 2007, 06:59:10 PM »

Thank you to DRs Elmore, François and Michael Shayne for their comments re my "Camelot" posts.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #215 on: May 26, 2007, 06:59:51 PM »

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #216 on: May 26, 2007, 07:00:05 PM »

Ginny

« Reply #217 on: May 26, 2007, 07:00:44 PM »

DR DearReaderLaura - how sweet of your kids to buy you a new dishwasher!  And thanks for today's lovely nature photos.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #218 on: May 26, 2007, 07:01:30 PM »

There now, that should help with the posting numbers.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #219 on: May 26, 2007, 07:01:46 PM »

Dontcha think?

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #220 on: May 26, 2007, 07:03:04 PM »

Yes, I have the swellest kids in the world.

I have to say, though, that I am pretty discouraged lately having to have shoddy work redone. I paid for good work in the first place; having to redo it later is upsetting.

Danise

« Reply #221 on: May 26, 2007, 07:03:28 PM »

DR Danise - Be sure to give the dogs extras from the gang here at HHW for being such good doggies while you were away.  And for being such good doggies upon your return.  :)

Oh, they are.  Rest assured, they are.   ;) :D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ginny

« Reply #222 on: May 26, 2007, 07:08:58 PM »

DR Danise - sounds like you've had a restful day.  Just what you've needed.  Now, how about a steak dinner?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #223 on: May 26, 2007, 07:14:42 PM »

And now for the wonderful news...

I started off my movie going day with "Once"...

SEE THIS MOVIE!!!!

What a beautiful movie. A somewhat simple story: boy meets girl.  But they both have music in common. The beauty of music.  The power of music.  The Love of music. And even the pain of music.

And the music!  The movie is a "musical", but all the songs are sung - and played(!) - by the two leads, Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová (who happen to be real-life singer-songwriters). The movie is set in Ireland, but the music is not Irish.  It's definitely pop, in a moody sort of sense.  Very hard to define, describe, but I loved it.  And found myself moved to tears a couple of times throughout the movie.

The movie takes place over the span of just over a week or so.  The guy meets the girl and they turn out to complement each other musically.  Their first "love scene" stunned me - in a good way: he starts playing one of his songs on the guitar and singing, then she joins in on the piano and harmony. Passionate and intense.  And, again, beautiful.

All the songs are sung completely through, and they are sung by the characters.  No fancy editing, no fancy special effects.  Just the actors, their voices and the songs. -Needless to say, I went out right after the movie and bought the soundtrack.

I really do recommend this movie.  I will admit that the music may not be to everyone's liking, but it really does tell the story.  And I would share more of the story, but I don't want to give away anything either.  However, the description over at the IMDB provides a good summary:

A modern-day musical about a busker and an immigrant and their eventful week, as they write, rehearse and record songs that tell their love story.

So, if "Once" happens to make it to your city.. Go!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #224 on: May 26, 2007, 07:23:29 PM »

I will probably watch The Good German this evening, even though I hear it's utter trash.

<nod>
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #225 on: May 26, 2007, 07:31:11 PM »

Greetings, all!

Boy, am I tired!  But it was a good day.  Got lots done.

DR JoseSPiano - what's your schedule like tomorrow?  I have to do church in the AM, but could possibly get in for a while in the afternoon.  It would have to be limited, as I've got to get back home to let the dog out.  But we could work out something!  Looks like I'll be back in NJ on Monday for more unpacking... Let me know what you think.   :)

Ginny

« Reply #226 on: May 26, 2007, 07:33:08 PM »

Wow, DR Jose, that's quite an endorsement from you for Once!  I'll watch for it in Cincinnati or Dayton.

BTW, the niece who graduated today is the one we took, with your help, to see Wicked last year.  One of her classmates quoted "Because I knew you...I have been changed for good" in her speech.

FJL

« Reply #227 on: May 26, 2007, 07:33:21 PM »

Anybody want to join me to see XANADU at the Helen Hayes for free tomorrow afternoon at 3? I have an extra ticket (sixth row center; not sure if being that close is a plus or a minus in this case)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #228 on: May 26, 2007, 07:34:12 PM »

Oh... And in between movies, I ended up supping with DR Jason.  And we had a nice window seat at Renaissance Diner with a nice view of the passers-by.  Yes, the Fleet is in!  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #229 on: May 26, 2007, 07:36:34 PM »

Anybody want to join me to see XANADU at the Helen Hayes for free tomorrow afternoon at 3? I have an extra ticket (sixth row center; not sure if being that close is a plus or a minus in this case)

OOHH!!!!!!  ME!  ME!  ME!!

-Unless, DR singdaw would like the ticket.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #230 on: May 26, 2007, 07:37:27 PM »

Greetings, all!

Boy, am I tired!  But it was a good day.  Got lots done.

DR JoseSPiano - what's your schedule like tomorrow?  I have to do church in the AM, but could possibly get in for a while in the afternoon.  It would have to be limited, as I've got to get back home to let the dog out.  But we could work out something!  Looks like I'll be back in NJ on Monday for more unpacking... Let me know what you think.   :)

See above post by DR FJL, and my response. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #231 on: May 26, 2007, 07:39:17 PM »

DR JoseSPiano -

Perhaps YOU go see Xanadu, and we meet afterward for dinner?

singdaw

« Reply #232 on: May 26, 2007, 07:39:37 PM »

Perhaps DR FJL would like to join us?

FJL

« Reply #233 on: May 26, 2007, 07:40:19 PM »

Not that we're fighting over you, Jose :) -  but you could lunch with singdaw and stull get to the show by 3.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #234 on: May 26, 2007, 07:40:59 PM »

Wow, DR Jose, that's quite an endorsement from you for Once!  I'll watch for it in Cincinnati or Dayton.

BTW, the niece who graduated today is the one we took, with your help, to see Wicked last year.  One of her classmates quoted "Because I knew you...I have been changed for good" in her speech.

I do have one "warning"... The Irish accents are pretty thick, and at first almost unintelligible - to my ears at least.  However, things do become much "clearer" after the opening minutes of the movie.  *And the female lead is actually a Czech actress who is speaking English with a hint of an Irish brogue.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #235 on: May 26, 2007, 07:41:27 PM »

Or you could see the show and then dine with singdaw. :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #236 on: May 26, 2007, 07:41:46 PM »

DR JoseSPiano -

Perhaps YOU go see Xanadu, and we meet afterward for dinner?

What time will you need to leave the city?  I don't want you getting stuck in traffic.  Or would you be training in?
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #237 on: May 26, 2007, 07:42:36 PM »

I gather XANADU is a fairly short show, under 2 hours.

Ginny

« Reply #238 on: May 26, 2007, 07:43:32 PM »

I do have one "warning"... The Irish accents are pretty thick, and at first almost unintelligible - to my ears at least.  However, things do become much "clearer" after the opening minutes of the movie.  *And the female lead is actually a Czech actress who is speaking English with a hint of an Irish brogue.

Maybe we'll wait for the DVD and use the closed-captioning.  DH Richard and I have become very dependent on that, even for English-language films.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #239 on: May 26, 2007, 07:43:41 PM »

Not that we're fighting over you, Jose :) -  but you could lunch with singdaw and stull get to the show by 3.  

And just what is DR elmore up to tomorrow night?
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up