Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: A NEW DO  (Read 94828 times)

td

• td
Re:A NEW DO
« Reply #300 on: August 18, 2007, 07:07:02 PM »

I just re-watched the Technicolor documentary on the ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD dvd; now I'm in the mood for something truly COLORFUL. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #301 on: August 18, 2007, 07:24:50 PM »

Jane, we drove north through town this morning, so the kids got to see the park, but they were so anxious to get home to the dogs they didn't want to stop at all (there was great gnashing of teeth when Betsy and I insisted we do a few "pit stops").

"Taming of the Shrew" was enjoyable, if a bit long for two kids (2 hours, 40 minutes).  Petruccio sang "Where is the life that once I led" (though not to the Porter tune), an in-joke that I evidently was the only one getting (it's so embarrassing when you're the only one laughing in an audience of a thousand or so).  There was some modernist schtick that bugged me, but overall it was a fine production.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #302 on: August 18, 2007, 07:28:05 PM »

I don't know if this was previously posted, but I am going to post it again - because I can.

A New York man retired.  He wanted to use his retirement money wisely, so it would last, and decided to buy a home and a few acres in Portugal.  The modest farmhouse had been vacant for 15 years; the owner and wife both had died, and there were no heirs.

The house was sold to pay taxes.  There had been several lookers, but the large barn had steel doors, and they had been welded shut.

Nobody wanted to go to the extra expense to see what was in the barn, and it wasn't complimentary to the property anyway... so, nobody made an offer on the place.

The NY guy bought it at just over half of the property's worth; moved in, and set about to tear in to the barn. curiosity was killing him.  So, he and his wife bought a generator and a couple of grinders... and cut thru the welds.

What was in the barn?

Go to; www.intuh.net/barnfinds/afa70.htm and start wishing you had bought the place.  Click on the index for a fast download.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #303 on: August 18, 2007, 07:40:39 PM »

JMK-Thanks for the report.  I bet the dogs were thrilled to see you.

Off to watch PAN'S LABYRINTH.

'night.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #304 on: August 18, 2007, 07:55:22 PM »

That SOUND OF MUSIC preview that was posted earlier today reminded me of a dream I had last night that I wanted to ask edi about.

In the dream, I watched a TV-movie that was really well done.  A young man was badgered and harassed unfairly as a new student at a private university.  A week later (in my dream) the movie was shown again, and I encouraged everyone I knew to watch it.  However, when the film was shown the second time, it had been re-edited, and the young innocent was the nearest thing around to the devil; and everything the others did to him was out of self-preservation.

What I wondered was whether or not it would be possible to take all the same original footage, and make two entirely different movies out of it through editing?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Tomovoz

« Reply #305 on: August 18, 2007, 08:03:39 PM »

Thanks for the Barn contents DR TCB
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 08:17:04 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #306 on: August 18, 2007, 08:21:07 PM »

Are we STILL on page nine?  

We were but we aren't now.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #307 on: August 18, 2007, 08:21:50 PM »

Will we never get to page ten?

Yes and then some.

Matt H.

« Reply #308 on: August 18, 2007, 08:23:38 PM »

Matt H.

« Reply #309 on: August 18, 2007, 08:27:12 PM »

I spent the entire evening watching the first quarter of the season of UGLY BETTY. It remains a sweet, charming, funny, bitchy lark of a show. More than ever, I find Justin, the nephew, steals every scene he's in. He is adorable.

I didn't remember that Christopher Gorham's accountant character was introduced in a very early episode about expense accounts and there weere no sparks with Betty at all. A couple of episodes later when he returned, wow!

Matt H.

« Reply #310 on: August 18, 2007, 08:29:53 PM »

On the first disc in the set, the pilot has a running commentary with the director of the pilot along with the head writer and one of the producers. Lots of fun facts during their lively give-and-take. The pilot was shot in NYC, of course, but when it was picked up for a series, the filming was moved to Hollywood, so the Brooklyn shots on Betty's street are now CGI. Very obvious in the later episodes to notice it once they let the cat out of the bag.

Matt H.

« Reply #311 on: August 18, 2007, 08:31:23 PM »

I only got about halfway through the Halloween episode (Betty dressed as a butterfly trying to find a watch Daniel misplaced at one of his lady friend's apartments.), but my favorite episode so far is the one where Justin was taken to MODE for a day to observe for a school report (only it was a lie so he could go to his "dream place.")

Cason

• The time is nigh!
« Reply #312 on: August 18, 2007, 08:33:41 PM »

Back from my evening in the pit of ACL.  It was a blast to see the show from a very different, very unique perspective.

Plus, I got a chance to watch my new Broadway crush perform again.  I mean, she's no Heather, but there is a special place in my heart for Krysta Rodriguez.
Art touches people in ways that words can't and my goal in life is to touch as many people as possible.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #313 on: August 18, 2007, 08:41:18 PM »

Hi DR Boo-key... glad you had fun at ACL.  I watched the show with dear Jose when I was there a few months ago, and damn, it was still just as emotional for me in so many parts of the show!
I hope your stay in the big city continues to be good for you, and you have lots of adventures and fun!

Cason

• The time is nigh!
« Reply #314 on: August 18, 2007, 08:44:38 PM »

Hi DR Boo-key... glad you had fun at ACL.  I watched the show with dear Jose when I was there a few months ago, and damn, it was still just as emotional for me in so many parts of the show!
I hope your stay in the big city continues to be good for you, and you have lots of adventures and fun!

Why thank you sir!  Last night watching the show in the theater was definitely one of those great experiences - lots of goosebump moments, and seeing as I am here on this trip with two shows, ACL was the perfect Broadway show to see right now in my life.
Art touches people in ways that words can't and my goal in life is to touch as many people as possible.

MusicGuy

« Reply #315 on: August 18, 2007, 08:45:02 PM »

And it was a very hot HOT day here today, and I ended up going to a fund-raiser for about 2 hours (that I really wanted to support) but it was an outside patio party.... in Phoenix....at 5:30 PM .....outside....104 degrees....and did I say, OUTSIDE ???

Argh......now I'm home, and cooling down and it's going to be a very early evening for me.

Ta ta for now lovelies.    :)

Cason

• The time is nigh!
« Reply #316 on: August 18, 2007, 08:46:13 PM »

And then to be down in a Broadway pit made for a very exciting and amusing evening.
After which we hopped over to DR Jason's turf at Avenue Q and went up on stage and inspected the very odd ghost light...

MusicGuy

« Reply #317 on: August 18, 2007, 08:47:54 PM »

Why thank you sir!  Last night watching the show in the theater was definitely one of those great experiences - lots of goosebump moments, and seeing as I am here on this trip with two shows, ACL was the perfect Broadway show to see right now in my life.

Yes, a very appropriate parallel for you to see.  I'm always really choked up by the line (very early on) of "....who am I anyway? Am I my resume?"

Oh, and I forgot to send you a "pat on your po-po."  It will have to be delivered by one of the hainsies there!   ;)

MusicGuy

« Reply #318 on: August 18, 2007, 08:50:13 PM »

and now, off to a few things and then beddy bye !

Matt H.

« Reply #319 on: August 18, 2007, 08:52:20 PM »

For performers, A CHORUS LINE has a very special resonance. Yes, folks from all walks of life can identify with its themes, but for performers, it's pretty magical, I think.

Matt H.

« Reply #320 on: August 18, 2007, 08:54:43 PM »

I'm not sure I'll get to HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 2 tomorrow either. I'd love to finish with the UGLY BETTY box set by the end of the weekend.

Matt H.

« Reply #321 on: August 18, 2007, 08:56:26 PM »

Guess I'll head downstairs to bed myself.

Good night!

MBarnum

« Reply #322 on: August 18, 2007, 08:57:55 PM »

Just finished doing a lovely telephone interview with a lovely actress by the name of Jewell Lain, star of SUICIDE BATTALION (1957) and CRASH LANDING (1958). What a wonderful chat we had!!! She is starting up her career again, but is having that trouble that all actresses of a certain age have...finding parts for older women.

She had lost touch with various people she enjoyed back during her career and it turned out that she (as I mentioned last week) had worked with my friend Laurie Mitchell in 1955 in the play THE FIFTH SEASON at the Carthay Theater. I put them in touch with each other and they had a very nice lunch and visit this week.

Now I am going to try and locate Marsha Hunt's contact info. They worked in a play also and, in fact, Jewell was married in Marsha's back yard.

MBarnum

« Reply #323 on: August 18, 2007, 08:59:03 PM »

And next time I go to LA (which will be sooner rather then later, I am hoping) I shall take Laurie and Jewell out to lunch which I so look forward to.

td

• td
« Reply #324 on: August 18, 2007, 09:24:51 PM »

DR TCB - that barnyard link was incredible!  Thank you so much!

I popped in another Elvis movie tonight, one that I hadn't seen before:
LIVE A LITTLE, LOVE A LITTLE, which was diverting.  Rudy Vallee and Don Porter provided good support, as did Dick Sargent.  Leading lady Michele Carey was weird, both acting and character wise.  Albert the Dog was fun.
But, I didn't know until I read the back of the dvd box, that this was where on of my favorite Elvis songs originated: "A Little Less Conversation."
Actually for a later Elvis movie, there really weren't a lot of songs, but there was a lot of peek-a-boo would-be nudity, including a delicious shower scene.   ;D

td

• td
« Reply #325 on: August 18, 2007, 09:30:44 PM »

Anybody up for getting to Page Twelve?

Cillaliz

« Reply #326 on: August 18, 2007, 09:33:01 PM »

Good evening all. Long day...I'll post about it later.   I left a message for DR jhvw who is apparently off playing out of town this weekend.  I let him  know about all the wonderful birthday messages here.  

I passed the birthday greetings on to his DB David.  He said "Wow, those people don't even know me and they are telling me happy birthday. Tell them thanks"    Thanks.

Cillaliz

« Reply #327 on: August 18, 2007, 09:34:51 PM »

The wedding was inside..we've had over 5 inches of rain. Too much for an outdoor wedding.  Anyway, it was friends etc, but was after being there over 4 hours, they hadn't even gotten to the cake yet.  Mom and Dad and I cut out early to eat birthday cake with David and his family.  It was a good evening.

Since I got up at 5:00 AM, I am most sleepy and am goning to bed.

François

« Reply #328 on: August 18, 2007, 09:35:57 PM »

Bof! Vraiment? Je sais pas! Est-ce tellement nécessaire? Il me semble qu'il y a d'autres "urgences"...... (Mais qu'est-ce qu'il dit?!)

François

« Reply #329 on: August 18, 2007, 09:38:01 PM »

Voilà-t-y pas que "Wow!" se dit aussi dans la langue de Molière, mais cela devient "Waouh!"

On n'arrête pas le progrés, dites-donc!

(Mais qu'est-ce qu'il dit donc?)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19   Go Up