Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DAY OFF  (Read 26159 times)

Ben

Re: THE DAY OFF
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2008, 07:59:15 AM »

And we've moved to Page 3

Ben

« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2008, 08:00:14 AM »

Are you working for the Mouse today?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2008, 08:01:44 AM »

Good morning, DR Ben! Are you thinking about a Princeton junket in the near future?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2008, 08:01:47 AM »

* * * * *  Vibes and Hugs and Virtual Hand-Holdings to DR Vixmom!  * * * * *
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2008, 08:01:59 AM »

More vibes for DR Vixmom. Good news on one count at least!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ben

« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2008, 08:02:16 AM »

If I auditioned I might have to sing that old standby Happy Birthday or something similar. I haven't auditioned for 17 years and it's been a few more since I auditioned for a musical.

Jennifer

« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2008, 08:03:38 AM »

Tonight on tv for me:

Ghost Whisperer
Life (the episode that was on wed)
Lipstick Jungle

Also, Top Chef starts on wed (nov 12).  And in an usual turn of events the Food Network (canada) will be broadcasting it starting the same night. Yeah!

Ben

« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2008, 08:03:57 AM »

Good morning, DR Ben! Are you thinking about a Princeton junket in the near future?

I'll have to look at the calendar. Our Saturdays for November are taken but perhaps Sunday the 16th or the 23rd.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2008, 08:13:10 AM »

Back to the Friday Media Check...

I'm still working my way through Gilels' Beethoven piano sonata cycle, and I'm still hearing many new and insightful things in his interpretations.

James Taylor - "Covers"
John Adams - "Hallelujah Junction: A Nonesuch Retrospective"
David Benoit - "Jazz for Peanuts"
Jennifer Hudson - "Jennifer Hudson"

And as a sort of "preview":
Kristin Chenoweth - "A Lovely Way To Spend Christmas"
Aretha Franklin - "This Christmas"
:)
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2008, 08:13:17 AM »

TOD:

DVR:
last night's THE OFFICE
last night's SURVIVOR
last night's LIFE ON MARS

DVD:
A documentary on a 1930s/40s Bollywood actress.

CD:
Soundtrack of the 1980s Bollywood films DISCO DANCER, STAR, and DANCE, DANCE.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 08:15:49 AM by MBarnum »

Ben

« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2008, 08:14:29 AM »

Is that Jazz for Peanuts as in the comic strip or inexpensive jazz

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2008, 08:16:18 AM »

P.S. You know Michael Pizzi!

Yes!  We finally reconnected a few weeks ago after almost 22 years! :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2008, 08:16:44 AM »

Very distressed to read this morning that Fox will be moving BONES to Thursday night at 8 in January once AMERICAN IDOL comes back on the air. HOUSE will move to Mondays at 8.

Argh! :(
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2008, 08:17:34 AM »

And now I'm headed downstairs to clean up so I can go out on my usual Friday errands.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2008, 08:18:16 AM »

Are you working for the Mouse today?

Nope. I'm working for Jacob Sterling today. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2008, 08:19:45 AM »

VIBES TO VIXMOM~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2008, 08:21:01 AM »

Is that Jazz for Peanuts as in the comic strip or inexpensive jazz

A little bit of both. It's another collection of Charlie Brown/Vince Guaraldi tunes by David Benoit and friends, and the album was on sale too. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2008, 08:21:49 AM »

Having a computer that won't eject CDs has made my life with Frank Loesser hell.  I've come across two spots in Act One Scene One where notes have been changed in the vocal score from the full score and I can't get enough sound from the stereo without offending the neighbors to figure out what the original band is playing. Wjereas, if I had my iTunes working and earphones, perhaps I could hear it (G-flat or A-flat in the divisi celli under the cashier's opening dialogue).

I did find one major discrepancy between the score and the parts when Cleo sings "and one Canadian dime": in the score the strings get off the chord and the brass and reeds sustain it, but in the parts the strings hold the chord as well.  On the OBC its only the winds and brass; you can hear the celli play the pizzicato downbeat and there are no violins holding the chord.  Hmmm . . .
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2008, 08:22:46 AM »

I'll have to look at the calendar. Our Saturdays for November are taken but perhaps Sunday the 16th or the 23rd.

I would be good for either date.

singdaw

« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2008, 08:27:44 AM »

I'd be surprisingly good for you...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2008, 08:28:45 AM »

Good morning, good day, how are you this beautiful day?  I am up, the sky is blue, and I am sitting here like so much fish.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2008, 08:30:31 AM »

In Ya Dreams!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2008, 08:32:07 AM »

A couple of years ago, I had to deal with Rita Gam on a book she'd written, and I mentioned it to a colleague at the Drama Book Shop, and he said "Rita Gam is always dressed for a date."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2008, 08:33:48 AM »

I don't understand the surprise that Obama voters would vote in favor of Proposition 8. Obama is against gay marriage so why would it be a surprise that many of his supporters are as well?

From Wikipedia:

"Equality for All was the lead organization opposed to Proposition 8.[72] They also ran the NoOnProp8.com campaign.[73] The nonpartisan League of Women Voters of California opposes Proposition 8 because "no person or group should suffer legal, economic or administrative discrimination."[74]

Republican California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger stated that although he opposed and twice vetoed legislative bills that would recognize same sex marriage in California, he respects and will uphold the court's ruling and opposes the initiative and other attempts to amend the state's constitution.[75][76] While a Democratic presidential nominee and U.S. Senator, Barack Obama stated that he personally considers marriage to be between a man and woman,[77] and supports civil unions that confer comparable rights rather than gay marriage,[78] he stated that he opposed the proposition and other attempts to amend the federal and state constitutions.[79][80] Democratic vice-presidential candidate Joseph Biden opposed the proposition.[81] The U.S. House Speaker, California Representative (8th District), Nancy Pelosi[82] along with twenty other members of the 53 member California congressional delegation and both of California's U.S. senators, Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer, voiced their opposition to Proposition 8,[83] as did the Lieutenant Governor, State Controller, 42 of 80 members of the state assembly, 20 of the 40 state senators and the mayors of San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego: Gavin Newsom, Antonio Villaraigosa, and Jerry Sanders respectively.[84][85][86][87]

San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom speaks at an Anti-Proposition 8 Rally at Sproul Plaza.All ten of the state's largest newspapers editorialized against Proposition 8: the Los Angeles Times,[88] the San Francisco Chronicle,[89] the San Diego Union-Tribune,[90] The Orange County Register,[91] The Sacramento Bee,[92] the San Jose Mercury News,[93] the Contra Costa Times,[94] The Press-Enterprise (Riverside-San Bernardino),[95] The Fresno Bee,[96] and the Daily News (Los Angeles).[97] Other papers to have editorialized in opposition include The New York Times,[98] La Opinión (Los Angeles), [99] and The Bakersfield Californian.[100]

A coalition of Silicon Valley executives urged a 'No' vote on Proposition 8.[101] Google officially opposed Proposition 8 "as an issue of equality."[102] Apple Inc. also opposed Proposition 8 as a "fundamental" civil rights issue, and donated $100,000 to the No on 8 campaign.[103][104] Biotech leaders warned of potential damage to the state's $73 billion industry, citing Massachusetts as a top competitor for employees.[105]

All six Episcopal diocesan bishops in California jointly issued a statement opposing Proposition 8 on September 10, 2008.[106] Southern California's largest collection of rabbis, the Board of Rabbis of Southern California, voted to oppose Proposition 8.[107] Other Jewish groups who opposed Proposition 8 include Jewish Mosaic,[108] the American Jewish Committee, Progressive Jewish Alliance, National Council of Jewish Women, and the Anti-Defamation League.[56][109]

The Los Angeles Unified School District Board of Education voted unanimously for a resolution to oppose Proposition 8.[110] The California Teachers Association donated one million dollars to fight Proposition 8.[111] Chancellor Robert Birgeneau of UC Berkeley urged a vote against the measure, citing the "likely" threat to California's academic competitiveness if Proposition 8 is passed.[112]

In general the entertainment industry was opposed to Proposition 8.[113]"
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 08:50:50 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2008, 08:34:14 AM »

For the DeepDiscountDVD sale I will be getting

THE LITTLE RASCALS 80 episode set

the entire run of M SQUAD

MBarnum

« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2008, 08:36:16 AM »

Rita Gam was just a guest on THE NAME'S THE SAME the other night.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2008, 08:37:19 AM »

For the DeepDiscountDVD sale I will be getting

THE LITTLE RASCALS 80 episode set

You're gonna LOVE this set.  I've been relishing it for a week. 

So far, I've been pretty impressed with the quality, even though some of the shorts show the ravages of time.  All have been watchable and IMMENSELY entertaining!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ben

« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2008, 08:38:22 AM »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2008, 08:41:27 AM »

And just because.......

Lada Edmund Jr.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2008, 08:43:26 AM »

DR elmore - Do you still have a CD stuck in your drive?  Have you tried the paper clip trick yet? Or the "emergency eject" procedure. --Just do a search on apple.com's Help/Support pages.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up