Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: THERE IS A CURIOUS PARADOX  (Read 36583 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: THERE IS A CURIOUS PARADOX
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2008, 07:16:57 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - Clay Aiken: MERRY CHIRSTMAS WITH LOVE

DVD - THE TUDORS (disc 4)
          REAR WINDOW (Hitchcock Legacy Collection)
         THE LAST EMPEROR (Blu-ray)

DVR - P.S. I LOVE YOU (HBO-HD)
         DISTURBIA (HBO-HD)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2008, 07:17:10 AM »

Page Three Dance!!!

singdaw

« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2008, 07:18:51 AM »

Wow, DR Miss Karen...  that's fantastic!   CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

Did you wear a puce toga to the graduation ceremony?

Matt H.

« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2008, 07:19:32 AM »

I didn't sleep well last night either. It was too warm, and even though I threw off a good deal of the covers, I was still either too hot or too cold.

Matt H.

« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2008, 07:20:50 AM »

On TV Tonight!™

CBS - GHOST WHISPERER, NUMB3RS
NBC - HOLIDAY SONGS, DATELINE
ABC - reality show reruns, 20/20
FOX - game shows

Matt H.

« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2008, 07:21:38 AM »

Looking forward to finishing the last disc of THE TUDORS and then having the rest of the day for myself. Should be a fun evening.

Miss Karen

« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2008, 07:21:40 AM »

RP ~ You're gonna have to speak English -- no com-pren-day "Thrbt-bt-bt -- does that translate to "I put Granny Minnie Mae's prized lampshade on my head, danced on the dinner table, breaking the heirloom gravy bowl, while singing in F flat about Aunt Darla Sue's nose job"?

Miss Karen

« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2008, 07:23:23 AM »

Thank you, DR RickShaw! Yes, and matching pumps and purse in your honor!

Miss Karen

« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2008, 07:29:18 AM »

Gotta scram -- a house to finish cleaning and decorating and some errands to attend to before our beloved Boo-Key arrives home for the holidays later tonight (he's flying in on Horizon -- which now has direct flights from LAX to our little airport)

singdaw

« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2008, 07:39:36 AM »

OK.  It sounds like an awful lot of work to me - heck, it was an awful lot of work just to re-type it! - but here it is, the recipe for Amy's Bread Monkey Cake:

singdaw

« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2008, 07:41:21 AM »

Amy’s Bread Monkey Cake

Yield: one 9-inch double-layer cake
Equipment: two 9 x 2-inch round cake pans

This is the Amy’s Bread version of a Hummingbird Cake.  We called it a Monkey Cake because we “monkeyed around” with the ingredients proportions and because monkeys love bananas.  We know it sounds crazy, but that really is how we came up with the name.  This very moist, very dense cake is rich with the fruity sweetness of bananas and pineapple.  Toasty chunks of pecan add a nice counterpoint to the soft texture of this cake.  Topped with Cream Cheese Icing, it’s one of Amy’s personal favorites.

INGREDIENTS:

2 ¾ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tsp. Kosher salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 ¾ cups sugar
1 ¼ cups canola oil
3 large eggs
1 ½ tsps. vanilla extract
2 cups bananas: ripe, mashed, with chunks remaining
1 cup crushed pineapple, with juice
1 cup pecans, toasted & coarsely chopped

1 recipe Cream Cheese Icing [ see recipe ]

[1]  Preheat oven to 350 F.  Grease the cake pans.  Line the bottoms with rounds of baking parchment then dust them lightly with flour.  Shake out the excess.  Or use Baker’s Joy baking spray that contains both oil and flour, so you don’t have to flour the pan.  With Baker’s Joy, put the parchment liner in AFTER you spray the pan.

[2]  In the bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, combine the flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon and stir briefly on medium-low speed, to distribute the ingredients.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla until they are well combined.  Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix on medium-low speed, just until all the flour has been moistened.  This should take less than 20 seconds.

[3]  Add the bananas and pineapple and stir briefly, 20 seconds, on low speed to distribute them evenly.  Then add the pecans and mix again on low speed until just combined, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.  Do not overmix this batter or your cake will be tough.

[4]  Divide the batter equally between the two prepared cake pans.  Weighing the batter into the pans is the most accurate way to do this.  This ensures that both layers will be uniform in size and will finish baking at the same time.  You’ll have approximately 945.0 g/33.3 oz. of batter per pan.  The pans should be about half full.  Place the pans on the center rack in the preheated oven.  Bake them for 35 to 38 minutes, or until the cake is almost ready to pull away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out with a few moist crumbs.  The cakes should be uniformly dark golden brown.  Rotate the layers carefully from front to back after 20 minutes for even baking.

[5]  Cool the pans on a rack for 10 minutes, then invert them onto a wire rack that has been sprayed with cooking spray and lift off the pans.  To prevent cracking, carefully right each layer so the top side is up and the parchment-lined bottom is down.  Cool them completely on the rack.  Before frosting, be sure to remove the parchment from the bottom of each layer.  While the cake layers are cooling, prepare the Cream Cheese Icing.  Keep the icing refrigerated until you are ready to use it.

TO ASSEMBLE THE CAKE:

[6]  Place one layer, top side down, on a flat serving plate.  Cut several 4-inch wide strips of parchment or waxed paper to slide under the edge of the layer to keep the plate clean.  Using a thin metal spatula, spread the top of this cake round with a ½ inch thick layer of frosting, leaving a ¼ inch unfrosted border around the edge.  Place the second layer, top side up, on the first, aligning the layers evenly.  Spread a generous layer of frosting around the sides of the cake, rotating the plate as you work so you’re not reaching around the cake to frost the other side.  Try not to let any loose crumbs get caught in the frosting.  Let the frosting extend about ¼ inch above the top of the cake.

[7]  Starting in the center of the cake, cover the top with a generous layer of frosting, taking it all the way to the edge and merging it with the frosting on the sides.  Try to use a forward-moving circular motion, not a back-and-forth motion, to avoid lifting the top skin of the cake.  Rotate the plate as necessary.  Use the spatula or a spoon to make decorative swirls.  Slide the pieces of paper out from under the edge of the cake and discard them.  Store the cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator, but allow it to sit at room temperature for about an hour before serving.

*Notes:

Be sure to use ripe bananas for maximum flavor and moisture, and leave them a little chunky when you mash them.

Use crushed pineapple packed in juice, not syrup, and include the juice along with the pineapple when weighing or measuring it.

This cake can be mixed easily by hand if you don’t have an electric mixer.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 07:46:02 AM by singdaw »

singdaw

« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2008, 07:42:41 AM »

Amy’s Bread Cream Cheese Icing

Yield: enough to top a 12 x 17-inch sheet cake, or fill and finish one 9-inch two-layer cake

This Cream Cheese Icing is in a class by itself.  The reason it’s so special is because it’s made with poured fondant instead of confectioner’s sugar.  The fondant gives this icing a smooth, fluffy, very spreadable texture, a silky feel in the mouth, excellent flavor [because the cooked sugar doesn’t mask the flavor of the cream cheese and butter the way that confectioner’s sugar does], and  more stability at room temperature.  It’s the most delicious and foolproof cream cheese icing recipe we’ve ever made.  Our customers love it, and so do we.

INGREDIENTS:

5/8 cup unsalted butter, directly from the refrigerator
¾ cup poured fondant [ see recipe ], at room temperature
3 1/2 eight-oz. packages of cream cheese, directly from the refrigerator

[1]  Cut the butter into 1-inch chunks and put them in the mixing bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment.  Mix on medium speed until the butter is malleable and spreads on the sides of the bowl, 2 to 3 minutes.  Add the fondant all at once, in three or four lumps, and continue mixing on medium to medium-high speed until the mixture is completely smooth, 2 to 3 more minutes, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.  There should be no visible lumps of fondant remaining.

[2]  Cut each package of cream cheese into four chunks.  Add them gradually in three additions and continue mixing at medium speed until the icing is completely smooth and has a thick, fluffy texture similar to that of thick whipped cream, 5 to 6 minutes, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.  There should be no lumps of cream cheese visible.

[3]  The frosting can be used immediately or stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.  If it seems too stiff to spread, let it soften slightly at room temperature and stir it again to create a texture that will spread easily on the cake.

*Notes:

An electric stand mixer with a paddle attachment is required to make this icing.  The cold, heavy ingredients and the lengthy mixing time do not lend themselves readily to mixers that use standard beater attachments.

The butter and cream cheese in this recipe should be used cold directly from the refrigerator.  Only the poured fondant should be at room temperature.

Cakes finished with this icing should be kept refrigerated until 30 minutes to an hour before serving time.  Be sure to cover the cake once the icing has set, or the icing will develop an off-flavor form absorbing the aromas of other foods in the refrigerator.

The finished cake can sit out for 2 to 3 hours if the room isn’t extremely warm, but leftovers should be stored in the refrigerator.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 07:46:29 AM by singdaw »

singdaw

« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2008, 07:44:14 AM »

Amy’s Bread Food Processor Poured Fondant

Yield: about 650 g/32.9 oz.

At the bakery, we used poured fondant as one of the key ingredients in our Sweet Pink Buttercream Frosting and our Cream Cheese Icing.  This one unique ingredient is responsible for elevating these two fairly common frostings to a higher level of quality.

Poured fondant is concentrated cooked sugar syrup that has been cooled and kneaded vigorously so the sugar re-crystalizes, creating a heavy, doughy consistency.  Stored in an airtight container, it can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.  When melted to a more liquid state and/or thinned slightly with citrus juice or syrup, it can be used to glaze petits fours, cookies, and cakes.  At the bakery, we use it to make the glaze for our Lime Cornmeal Cookies.

Making fondant from scratch using traditional techniques requires a lot of time and labor and is hardly worth the effort, especially if you use it only infrequently and in small amounts.  Even at the bakery it’s much easier and more efficient for us to purchase large plastic tubs of ready-made fondant from our wholesale supplier.  If you want to purchase fondant, you will have to go to a store that specializes in cake decorating supplies, or call a friendly local bakery and ask if you can buy a small amount from them.  Be sure to ask for “poured” fondant, not “rolled” fondant.

If you have a food processor and an accurately calibrated digital kitchen thermometer, making your own fondant can be a simple, fairly painless process.  The recipe here first appeared in Helen Fletcher’s book The New Pastry Cook, which is now out of print.  Helen, whose bakery Truffes, in St. Louis, Missouri, sells amazingly beautiful pastries, has generously given us permission to use her recipe here.

INGREDIENTS:

2 ½ cups sugar
½ cup water
¼ cup light corn syrup

[1]  In a medium-size heavy saucepan, bring the sugar, water, and corn syrup to a boil, stirring constantly.  As soon as it boils, stop stirring.  Cook the syrup to a temperature of 238 F [soft ball stage].  Immediately pour the hot syrup into a food processor fitted with a steel blade.  Wash the thermometer well and put back into the syrup.  Let the syrup cool undisturbed to 140 F, about 25 to 30 minutes.

[2]  Remove the thermometer and turn the food processor on to process the syrup continuously until it converts from a glassy syrup to an opaque paste, 2 to 3 minutes.  Pour it into a heatproof container, cover it loosely, and let it cool.  When it has cooled completely, seal the container and store the fondant at room temperature for 24 hours before using it.  It can be stored like this for up to 6 days, and in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.

*Notes:

Plan on making this recipe at least 2 days before you want to use it.  It can be stored at room temperature for 5 to 6 days before it has to be refrigerated.

Correct temperatures are very important in this process, so be sure you calibrate your thermometer, or at least know how far off the mark it is, so you can judge when the proper temperature has been reached.  In a pan of boiling water, the thermometer should register 212 F.

Once the sugar has come to a boil, stop stirring it to prevent premature re-crystalization.
Be sure to wash the thermometer thoroughly each time you take it out of the boiling syrup and before you reinsert it into the syrup, to avoid premature re-crystalization of the sugar.

If the fondant has been stored in the refrigerator, let it come to room temperature before using it to make frosting.

It helps to handle the fondant with slightly moistened hands.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 08:09:52 AM by singdaw »

Matt H.

« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2008, 07:55:14 AM »

Heading down now to get cleaned up for my usual Friday errands.

WBBL.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2008, 07:58:50 AM »

DR Druxy, both of my grandmothers collected antique glass as does my mother.  She's taught me a lot about it.  I am also very familiar with sad feelings when a family piece is accidentially broken, including times when I was the culprit and not the cat.   There are many pieces that can't be replaced or repaired but with a lamp, you can often find a replacement for the shade.  It will still be a family lamp, it's just had an extreme makeover!

I hope your wife finds her shade on the sites I sent. If not, there are lots of sites out there.  I've gotten dishes from discontinued sets through Replacements.com, but I think they just do dishes.  Good luck!

My wife says "Thank you" and that she "will keep her chin up". 

She says will also kick the cat when she sees her. [No, she won't.]
You can dream…or you can do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2008, 08:02:55 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I have a Photo Credit!: http://tinyurl.com/myfoodtvtour
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2008, 08:04:02 AM »

*And that link should lead you to another link to the rest of my pics from the Food Network Studio Tour that I took yesterday morning.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2008, 08:04:53 AM »

OH!

And they just cancelled my afternoon audition session due to the inclement weather.  And, best of all, I still get to bill for the three hours! :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2008, 08:05:31 AM »

And, yes, it is snowing again in New York City.  Alas, all the forecasts are calling for it turn into a major sleet and rain and ice event as the day and evening wears on.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2008, 08:06:33 AM »

As a public service I am showing you the completely immobile woman eater and the two men in charge of it so that all women on HHW will be aware that THIS COULD HAPPEN TO YOU!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edBLhIS1MMM

THE WOMAN EATER music was pretty cool!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2008, 08:06:35 AM »

bk - Have you tried uninstalling AOL, then reinstalling it?  You simply could have a corrupted copy of the program.  And I do mean "simply".  -Just like your "billing/canceling" issue last night.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2008, 08:07:39 AM »

DR singdaw - Thanks for all of that typing!

*Now I don't have scan the recipe from the book using OCR.  ;)

Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2008, 08:08:02 AM »

That's really cool, DR JoseSPiano!!  :)  CONGRATULATIONS!

MBarnum

« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2008, 08:10:44 AM »

I think I still pay for AOL, also. Spoo!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2008, 08:10:56 AM »

As for the Friday Media Check...

During my all-night de-cluttering fest, I pulled out some "old friends" that I haven't listened to in a while:

Bach - Cello Suites - Mstislav Rostropovich, cello.
Into The Woods - Original Broadway Cast
Les Misèrables - Original Broadway Cast... Since I could not find my Original London Cast.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2008, 08:11:38 AM »

I think I still pay for AOL, also. Spoo!

Well, if you're connecting to AOL via an ISP, just go to Keyword: Billing, scroll down to Payment Plan...
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2008, 08:12:02 AM »

Odd thing is, when I had dial up I never had AOL problems at all...when I finally got high speed internet through Comcast I (semi) often have AOL problems.

Go figure.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2008, 08:12:17 AM »

That's really cool, DR JoseSPiano!!  :)  CONGRATULATIONS!

Thanks, DR singdaw.  It is!

*It's nice to know that Twitter can be used for good.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2008, 08:12:37 AM »

I think I will check that out DR Jose...although I want to double check on what I would be losing if I do so.

Much of my "sorted" (not sordid) e-mail is stored on-line rather then on my computer. I don't want to lose all of that.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2008, 08:13:38 AM »

DVDs for the weekend?

I still haven't watched THE DUCHESSS or TRAITOR.

Also, when I was at Costco yesterday, I picked up a 5-movie WHV box set for $16.99: Frank Sinatra, The Golden Years.

It's got a "dog" in it (i.e. MARRIAGE ON THE ROCKS), but also SOME CAME RUNNING, THE TENDER TRAP and THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM.

I remember seeing NONE BUT THE BRAVE when it came out, but I don't really recall much about it, except...

Kevin Thomas of  the Los Angeles Times gave Tommy Sands (Sinatra's son-in-law at the time) such a bad review that Sands went down to the paper and punched him out.
You can dream…or you can do.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up