Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: LIFE WITHOUT AOL  (Read 36995 times)

Jennifer

Re: LIFE WITHOUT AOL
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2008, 06:09:29 AM »

And basically she has a ton, including a lot for my niece!

I also want to make fudge (i'm going to attempt maple and white chocolate). Although i need to check with my niece first and find out if it's okay if i make them without her and just bring her the fudge (she wanted to make it).

Jennifer

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2008, 06:10:00 AM »

I got the most beautiful new menorah, which i used last night!  My niece got a new dreidel menorah too!

Jennifer

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2008, 06:11:54 AM »

We also have Chanukah cookies to make (new cookie cutters). But we ran out of time. And my niece is going out of town. So i'm not sure if we will make them this wed. Or maybe if she comes back on sunday. Or she won't know the difference if we make them a few days late!

They spent a week studying Chaukah at her daycare. So half the kids think they are Jewish.  My niece came up to me the other day and declared "auntie you're jewish and me i'm half jewish". So cute!

Jennifer

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2008, 06:12:33 AM »

Vibes for DR Elmore. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Congrats to DR Craig and DF ArnoldBrockman!

Jennifer

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2008, 06:13:17 AM »

DR Jane have you ever thought of getting a snow blower!  I mean if Keith has to shovel the road it could really help!

singdaw

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2008, 06:14:08 AM »

***VIBES OF COMFORT & RECOVERY***
to DR elmore3003!!!!

Jennifer

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2008, 06:14:29 AM »

My niece got a Strawberry Shortcake cookbook for Chanukah. And i was amazed. IT was like a real cookbook. It had like a hundred amazing recipes in it. I wanted to make some!

I got a Martha Stewart how to clean your house book. Is that a hint? :)

Laura

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2008, 06:15:00 AM »

Aww. Feel better soon, DR Elmore!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2008, 06:15:46 AM »

I got a Martha Stewart how to clean your house book. Is that a hint? :)

LOL!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

MBarnum

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2008, 06:19:32 AM »

Congratulations to the Brockmans!

MBarnum

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2008, 06:19:57 AM »

Hope you feel better soon vibes to DR Elmore!

Jennifer

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2008, 06:23:15 AM »

Feel better vibes to DR Vixmom!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MBarnum

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2008, 06:23:45 AM »

Electricity went out about 4:30 pm here yesterday. My mom had called to tell me she was in the dark, and then about 15 minutes later mine went out.

I braved the snow and ice and drove over to the old folks home and picked up mom and we went to IHOPS (as they still had electricity). When I drove mom back home her lights were back on.

Upon my arrival to my home my electricity was still off. I grabbed the flashlight, crawled into bed, read a bit, and then went to sleep around 8:30.

Now all is back to normal.

MBarnum

« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2008, 06:24:15 AM »

Mega vibes to DR Vixmom!

Jennifer

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2008, 06:24:33 AM »

BK, re: your car accident. I don't think anyone here is trying to be offensive.  It's just that the laws often protect the guilty. I'm sure most of us feel like it was not your fault.  But that doesn't always matter.  Anyhow good luck. And thank goodness nobody was hurt.

Jennifer

« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2008, 06:26:30 AM »

My aunt emailed a recipe for meatballs she wants me to make for Xmas eve. So i printed it last night. aND now today she's changed to a different recipe!

The only good part is that they are very similar (on allrecipes.com). The first one was waikiki meatballs and now it's lana's sweet and sour meatballs>

The other good part is the only ingredient that is different is one i was not at all thrilled about. The first one had saltine crackers. This one has bread crumbs!

Michael

« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2008, 06:35:08 AM »

TOD

BEST Films
The Dark Knight
Mama Mia
Rachel Getting Married
Wall E
Iron Man

Mongol (from 2007 but I just saw it)

Not the best or the worst
Leatherheads
The Mummy 3
Get Smart
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Quantum of Solace

Bad

Indiana Jones etc
Prince Caspian

Worst
Speed Racer(Tried to watch on DVD)
Love Guru (Tried to watch on DVD)
Beverly Hills Chihuahua (Saw this one in the theaters)
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2008, 06:39:00 AM »

...I got a Martha Stewart how to clean your house book. Is that a hint? :)
More of an indictment.

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Kerry

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2008, 06:42:15 AM »

Maybe there will be a miracle, and the AOL will burn for 8 days and give us light!
I like boat races.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2008, 06:44:16 AM »

The only two films I can remember seeing on the big screen this year have been Indiana Jones and the Crystal Anti-Aging Cream Jar (*yawn*) and Wall*E (there is hope for us yet!).

Der Brucer is sure to claim that I saw a lot more films this year, but he saw a bunch of 'em with the grandlads and I did not go, either because I was working or because I was worn out from working (or because I was sick and tired of the self-centeredness of the older grandlad, which is extreme).
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2008, 06:45:06 AM »

When BK finally asks us what books we've read over the past year, I'll have more to say.

Kerry

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2008, 06:45:31 AM »

Crap! Somedays my unfamiliarity with a PCdrives me mad.

Good morning, all! I am officially sick so keep them vibes coming! Last night I went to bed around 6:30, with chills, runny nose, horrible sinus pains, and general discomfort. I slept fitfully, got up around 8, showered, ate, and now I doubt I'll wander far from Randy's sofa or my bed.

I hate this!

More to follow.

This is is your time (along with Vixmom's and a few others) for things to get better.   I has spoken!
I like boat races.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2008, 07:25:31 AM »

I remember when AOL regularly used to send start up discs to people to get them to sign up.  I got several before I even got a computer.

My first ISP was a dial up called FreeWeb.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2008, 07:25:32 AM »

Congratulations to the Brockmans on the engagement of DS Craig.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2008, 07:26:23 AM »

I saw a few of the movies on DR MS's list.....but on DVD. 

I liked WALL-E and THE DARK KNIGHT.

I also just bought READ THEN BURN because I liked to preview I saw last summer when I saw MAMMA MIA!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2008, 07:27:55 AM »

HEALTH VIBES TO DR VIXMOM!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ginny

« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2008, 07:31:28 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  Yesterday was a busy day, with 2 church services, lunch and Christmas errands in between, and present-wrapping until almost 11pm.  Rob and Mary Linda will be so surprised to find presents under the tree and the stockings filled.  There was nothing when they left for Cincinnati Friday afternoon.  They're due back here sometime today - she danced her final 2 Nutcracker performances of the season yesterday with the Kentucky Ballet Theatre in Lexington.

Congratulations to the Brockman family on their Craig's engagement!

Congratulations to the Lassner family on their Craig's marriage!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2008, 07:32:37 AM »

Feel better vibes to DR Elmore - sorry you have the Ohio crud.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2008, 07:33:31 AM »

VHS - R.I.P

LATIMES

VHS era is winding down
The last big supplier of the tapes is ditching the format, ending the long fade-out of a product that ushered in the home theater.

By Geoff Boucher
December 22, 2008

Pop culture is finally hitting the eject button on the VHS tape, the once ubiquitous home video format that will finish this month as a creaky ghost of Christmas past.

After three decades of steady if unspectacular service, the spinning wheels of the home entertainment stalwart are slowing to a halt at retail outlets. On a crisp Friday morning in October, the final truckload of VHS tapes rolled out of a Palm Harbor, Fla., warehouse run by Ryan J. Kugler, the last major supplier of the tapes.

"It's dead, this is it, this is the last Christmas, without a doubt," said Kugler, 34, a Burbank businessman. "I was the last one buying VHS and the last one selling it, and I'm done. Anything left in warehouse we'll just give away or throw away."

With some things, though, even Kugler the great salvager can't find a buyer no matter how low he goes. He took a loss on 50,000 copies of "Yo-Yo Man," a Smothers Brothers instructional video for the stringed toy. ("I'm not sure what I was thinking on that one," Kugler said.) And then there is that stash of VHS tapes that couldn't even earn a spot on the last shipment out of his warehouse: a few thousand copies of "The Man With the Screaming Brain," a 2005 horror movie about a mad scientist, a Bulgarian tycoon, a cab driver and some cranial misadventures. ("That one," Kugler said, "will be buried with us.")

The majority of his firm's business today is with big box retailers including Target, Wal-Mart, K-Mart and Sears, where the company sets up displays of its discounted DVDs, such as "Superman Returns" and "Proof of Life," which are often priced at $10 or less. Plenty of customers see that price as an invitation to build up their DVD collections.

But Kugler, with a sly smile, offered a warning to consumers thinking of putting up shelving to handle their burgeoning libraries.

"The DVD will be obsolete in three or four years, no doubt about it. Everything will be Blu-ray," Kugler said, anticipating the next resident at his pop culture retirement home. "The days of the DVD are numbered. And that is good news for me."

der Brucer

The Days of DVD are numbered?

I doubt that. 

At the very least it will co-exist alongside of Blu-Ray.

If the studios are stupid enough to stop supporting DVD, they are liable to find the biggest public revolt since the Boston Tea Party.

People are tired of having to constantly upgrade their perfectly good copies of STAR WARS, THE GODFATHER, CASABLANCA and all the other 1000s of catalog titles.
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2008, 07:39:56 AM »

I really haven't seen that many films this year that are worth remembering.  Among the ones I liked are:

FROST/NIXON
THE READER
IN BRUGES
BURN AFTER READING
GHOST TOWN
MAMMA MIA!
KUNG FU PANDA
CHANGLING

The only one (that I remember) that I didn't like was:

THE DARK KNIGHT

You can dream…or you can do.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Up