Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: NO SHILLY-SHALLYING  (Read 43071 times)

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
Re: NO SHILLY-SHALLYING
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2009, 07:41:13 AM »

BK's notes about Otto Preminger reminded me of my former publicity client, the late Hugo Montenegro.  He did a score for one of Preminger's films (HURRY SUNDOWN?).

Hugo told me that, as we all know, Otto could be a rough task master, but that he knew what he was talking about.

When Hugo had presented his first version of the score to Preminger, Otto's reaction was "This is s**t!"

He then proceeded to explain to Hugo how to write a proper score and Montenegro went back and tried again.  Otto was happier the 2nd time around.

Doesn't Hugo have a son?  IIRC, I exchanged several emails with him somewhere along the line via a listserve for those of us who love instrumental pop covers (of course, Hugo's huge hit was his rendition of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly).

He may have had a son, but I represented Hugo back in the mid-1960s.  I don't think I ever met his family. 
You can dream…or you can do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2009, 07:48:27 AM »

Good morning!

Not as cold as I was expecting, but it's overcast/gray because of incoming rain. Highs in the 50s today and tomorrow, but looks like I'll be inside this weekend.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2009, 07:55:02 AM »

And the word of the day is: YEGG!

And congratulations to him on the prominence of his parody in the blogosphere!!

I suspect a parody of your prominence would also be a hit.

der Brucer

..not to mention the parody on your protuberance
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2009, 07:58:05 AM »

My favorite teacher was W. O. McKeown, my high school chemistry teacher. I adored his style of teaching. He was very intelligent, very erudite, and ran his classroom in such an organized fashion that I molded my teaching style on him. Years later, I did get the chance to tell him how much his teaching meant to me and how I emulated his teaching style in my classroom. He blushed when I told him that, but he was nice enough to compliment me as a serious-minded, dedicated student that made teaching a pleasure for him.

Other greats:

fifth grade: Miss Margaret Ferguson

high school: Mrs. Matrell Plyler (10th English)
                    Mrs. Kitty Jackson (Trig, Algebra IV/Pre Calculus)
                    Miss Hannah Duncan (Latin II, French I)
                    Mrs. Louise Williams (U.S. History)

college: Dr. Marcus Glover (Spanish I, Spanish II)
             Dr. Neal Prater (Shakespeare, English Lit.)
             Dr. Alton King (Modern Novel, World Lit, Modern Poetry, Advanced Grammar)

The only college professors I really turned onto were those who engaged the class in discussion of assignments. Those who merely came into the room and lectured for an hour were not favorites.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 08:00:58 AM by Matt H. »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2009, 07:59:58 AM »

Good Morning, once again!

Finally out of bed.  I've made coffee and breakfast, and I'm currently sitting at the kitchen/dining room eating and drinking, and listening to WYNC via the interweb.

A good Saturday morning.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2009, 08:03:43 AM »

Today is another day off, so I'll spend the afternoon with Alfred Hitchcock, finishing THE 39 STEPS and then watching another of his films. Maybe ROPE, LIFEBOAT, or SHADOW OF A DOUBT, none of which I've watched lately.

Tonight will likely be JUMPER on HBO-HD. Hayden Christensen is a poor actor, but the premise sounds mildly appealing, so I'll likely give it a try.

FJL

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2009, 08:05:09 AM »

Druxy - Did you know Hugo Montenegro when he was working on VIVA MAX?  (the movie that was based on Jim Lehrer's novel about a general - Peter Ustinov - trying to recapture the Alamo)

Totally one of my favorite undervalued movies, with a score/theme that deserved to be more famous than it turned out to be

Ginny

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2009, 08:05:10 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  It's cold and sunny here in SW Ohio and we're having a quiet day at home.  Richard is writing his sermon for tomorrow and I'm getting ready for an afternoon visit from our DN (dear niece) Lauren and maybe her mom & dad.  Lauren's is the only wrapped present still under our Christmas tree and I can't wait to see how she likes what's inside.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Kerry

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2009, 08:12:30 AM »

Hah!  I am awaiting my copy of the AUNTIE MAME/ROME ADVENTURE score.

Is this on a CD?  I adore Bronislau Kaper's score to "Auntie Mame."  I don't remember much about the score to "Rome Adventure"--- oh wait, did that have "Al Di La" in it?  It had one those "Al Di La" type songs in it that were so popular in. 

Besides liking and knowing so many of the sets in "Rome Adventure" from other movies,  my favorite is still seeing the River City Madison Public Library as the American Bookstore in the Piazza Navona.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 09:05:01 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2009, 08:13:29 AM »

Topic of the Day - Part Deux

College: My piano/Life teacher, Dr. Sonia K. Vlahcevic.  I haven't seen her in a year - maybe even two. I'm hoping that when I head down to Richmond next week, that I'll be able to catch up with her.  She taught me to "wonk" and "ping" with the rest and the best of them.

And even though I only worked alongside him (but never took one of his classes), I learned so much from Gary Hopper.  He was - and still is - a professor in the Theatre Department.  We worked on three shows together, and each one somehow managed to be more fulfilling than the previous one.  His approach to Directing, Teaching and Process is directly responsible for how I work with and treat Actors.  Just as there is "no such thing as small parts, just small actors", there is no such thing as a "small amount of encouragement": sometimes a single word or action can lead to something so much bigger and brighter... For both parties. -His wife, Elizabeth, who recently retired as head of the Costuming Program, was and still is a great teacher, cheerleader and friend.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2009, 08:14:38 AM »

DR FJL - Yes, I have been to Jim's office before.  And, yes, it is a great space.
Make Your Own Luck.

Kerry

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2009, 08:14:55 AM »

I am being offered no more hunks on my Facebook page.

I am now being offered Port-A-Poo for Dogs.

I'm getting ads for "singles services," which I assume has something to do with dating or classifieds.  But you never know.
I like boat races.

Laura

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2009, 08:17:54 AM »

I have nothing to say. At this time.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2009, 08:25:02 AM »

I'm up, I'm up, and awaiting the arrival of she of the Evil Eye.  It looks only a little foggy out and at least the sky is blue.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2009, 08:25:48 AM »

Kerry, yes, Auntie Mame has been released on CD by Film Score Monthly.  It's available at Screen Archives Entertainment.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2009, 08:33:14 AM »

Druxy - Did you know Hugo Montenegro when he was working on VIVA MAX?  (the movie that was based on Jim Lehrer's novel about a general - Peter Ustinov - trying to recapture the Alamo)

Totally one of my favorite undervalued movies, with a score/theme that deserved to be more famous than it turned out to be

I remember the movie.  Thought it was very funny.

I don't recall Hugo doing the movie while he was with me.  Remember, this was over 40 years ago.

I do remember going out to Anahiem to see a gig he did with Eddy Arnold and Billy DeWolfe.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2009, 08:36:09 AM »

Hello, kidz.

Saw DOUBT last night... okay, I don't understand the hoopla. 'Overwrought' was my general impression. I don't think Shanly was the right director.

Best teacher - hmmm... I guess that would be my ballet master - Nico Charisse - I met him when I was about 5, I think, and was with him into my teens. He 'got' me on a deep level - once told my parents I was a cross between Edith Piaf and Genghis Kahn.
PennyO

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2009, 08:37:49 AM »

Heading downstairs now to check the mail and get lunch started.

WBBL.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2009, 08:37:51 AM »

Coffee!!!!
PennyO

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2009, 08:38:28 AM »

I wrote about Doubt a few days ago, but I don't think PennyO reads the notes :)

I agree about Shanley's direction, which doesn't really help the film.  I did like the actors, but while I liked the piece a lot more than I did when I saw the bad production with Linda Hunt, I still don't get why it won a Pulitzer Prize and I still don't think it's great.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2009, 08:44:00 AM »

Hello, kidz.

Saw DOUBT last night... okay, I don't understand the hoopla. 'Overwrought' was my general impression. I don't think Shanly was the right director.

Best teacher - hmmm... I guess that would be my ballet master - Nico Charisse - I met him when I was about 5, I think, and was with him into my teens. He 'got' me on a deep level - once told my parents I was a cross between Edith Piaf and Genghis Kahn.

Good Morning, Penny!

So...

I'm not on the "Doubt" bandwagon either, and just like you, I think it would have been better served by someone other than Shanley at the helm.  *Btw, I'm still trying to figure out exactly what variation of a dulcimer/zither was being played in the opening sequence.  Any thoughts?

So... "Edith Piaf and Genghis Kahn" - WOW! Now that's quite the combo platter!  So, would that be like "a baguette served with kefir" or more akin to "escargot and mutton"?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2009, 08:45:07 AM »

Coffee!!!!

Me too!

I just took Irving Berlin's words to heart and just poured myself another cup. -Oh, and I just remembered that we still have some apple pie in the fridge.   Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2009, 08:47:21 AM »

a cross between Edith Piaf and Genghis Kahn.

;D

singdaw

« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2009, 08:47:55 AM »

I have nothing to say. At this time.

You want we should give you something to talk about?    :)

singdaw

« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2009, 08:51:07 AM »

I'm sure that DR dB would be more than happy to oblige...      :P

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2009, 08:54:15 AM »

Does anyone have suggestions of songs to be sung in a drag show?

Mai Oui!

What kind of "drag"?

Male female impersonator
Male camp drag
Female male impersonators
Funny only?
Serious?

der Brucer

One of the funniest, yet touching, drag numbers I ever saw was an eighty-year old drag queen singing "No Time At All" from Pippin

Then there are the drag-queen anthems:

I Am What I am from La Cage and What Makes A Man (Lyrics by Charles Aznavour)

A man in a simple blue suit or a tux (with a chiffon scarf as a prop) can bring down the house with My Way

There is the obvious;

It's Raining Men
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 08:56:00 AM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »

Hello, kidz.

Good Morning, Penny!

So...

I'm not on the "Doubt" bandwagon either, and just like you, I think it would have been better served by someone other than Shanley at the helm.  *Btw, I'm still trying to figure out exactly what variation of a dulcimer/zither was being played in the opening sequence.  Any thoughts?

So... "Edith Piaf and Genghis Kahn" - WOW! Now that's quite the combo platter!  So, would that be like "a baguette served with kefir" or more akin to "escargot and mutton"?

Well, I liked DOUBT.

So, there!

:P

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2009, 08:55:04 AM »

So... The question of the day is: To Van Gogh or not to Van Gogh?

The exhibit closes on Monday.  MoMA is having a special Members Only viewing tonight after the museum proper closes, but that will most likely be a mad house - as DR singdaw and I discovered last time.  So... Hmm... Maybe I should ask my monkey? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »

FJL, congratulations on the parody.  I loved it.  One question, that bowl of caviar looks a little strange.  Isn't it actually a bowl of blackberries?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Laura

« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2009, 08:57:10 AM »

It's a young man doing a drag show.
Thanks, I will forward the suggestions and will be open to more.

My goodness, what the internet has done to my life!
"That's a lotta hamsters."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Up