Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: NO SHILLY-SHALLYING  (Read 43173 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
NO SHILLY-SHALLYING
« on: January 03, 2009, 12:21:17 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes did not shilly-shally, and now it is time for you to post until the shilly-shallying cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: NO SHILLY-SHALLYING
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 12:22:03 AM »

And the word of the day is: YEGG!

singdaw

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 03:19:13 AM »

DR FJL may or may not be a yutz, but he is most definitely not a yegg.      :)

And congratulations to him on the prominence of his parody in the blogosphere!!

singdaw

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 03:20:45 AM »

I'm taking my cue from DR Cillaliz and getting my house in order:  the dog is going in for his quarterly grooming today, and the car for its regular tune-up.   All it takes is money!  :(

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 04:39:27 AM »

Hah!  I am awaiting my copy of the AUNTIE MAME/ROME ADVENTURE score.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 04:42:34 AM »

DR DRUXY - Please let Ms McBain know that we are very happy that her movie PARRISH is being released on DVD on January 27th, and that her role as the sew-fisty-kated Daphne Dutton in SURFSIDE 6 will always be appreciated.

The image of her in opening credits, sitting in a big fancy convertible and waving to us is burned in my memory!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 04:43:34 AM »

There were very few teachers I did not like.

But I think my favorites were Mr Ruddick, my fifth grade teacher who used to play records for us, and was very good at history and English.

singdaw

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 04:44:39 AM »

I am being offered no more hunks on my Facebook page.

I am now being offered Port-A-Poo for Dogs.

singdaw

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 04:47:22 AM »

TOD:

Mr. Ed Ferris from fifth grade. He inspired us.  From High School, Frank Slack [English] and Lewis Cisto [music, drama].  I have had occasional letter exchanges with the latter two, though I have not seen them in person [no longer in the area].

I think teachers are the unsung heroes of America!

singdaw

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 05:04:31 AM »

To the trained eye, shally-shillying is noticeably different from shilly-shallying.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 05:10:12 AM »

Alas Mr Ruddick is not listed in White Pages or anyplace else....so I do not know if he is still on this mortal coil.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 05:17:21 AM »

I think Mr Hawk got a dove at the bird feeder yesterday.  Lots of grey feathers on the ground.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 05:50:57 AM »

And The Song Of The Day Is:

THE POLICEMAN'S SONG

(WHEN A FELON'S NOT ENGAGED IN HIS EMPLOYMENT)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 06:00:46 AM »

Nice song......

Oh well....I am off to work.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 06:09:50 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I managed to get up early enough to put out the recyclabes. -Someone had to do it. I guess I could hear/sense the truck heading up the street.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 06:13:33 AM »

In the meantime, I've been listening to WNYC. I had forgotten just how much NPR programming I used to listen to on a regular basis. 
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 06:15:05 AM »

Or something like that.  Guess I should start brewing some coffee.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 06:24:24 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

5th Grade: Mrs. Wallace - I could tell she loved to teach, wanted to teach and really cared about her students, hoping only for the best for everyone.

High School: Mrs. Kammerer and Mr. Johnson (who passed away a few months ago) - My English teachers, and, most likely the ones responsible for my creative curiosity. Words could be fun, and not just required.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 06:41:53 AM »

I just read the TV guide for this coming week and found out something great (for me). The W network (women's network) will be airing THE CLOSER starting this friday. It's season 3. But that is where i left off. We have not had any station showing it since then. Very happy about this!

FJL

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2009, 06:49:42 AM »

Oh darn, a new NEw Year's resolution will be to try to read the notes BEFORE moving to the new day's postings.

FJL

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2009, 06:53:23 AM »

singdaw - I saw that you "subscribed" to my videos on youtube - thanks so much!

FJL

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2009, 07:01:26 AM »

Jose - Was that your first time visiting Jim's office?  (You'd probably know better about these things, but even though the building is  unassuming from the outside, the office is really a great space inside that immediately inspires confidence in the company.  Gives confidence to visitors that, as I think the saying goes, they'll be tasteful and not wasteful )

Laura

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2009, 07:17:01 AM »

Question:

Does anyone have suggestions of songs to be sung in a drag show?
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2009, 07:19:43 AM »

DR DRUXY - Please let Ms McBain know that we are very happy that her movie PARRISH is being released on DVD on January 27th, and that her role as the sew-fisty-kated Daphne Dutton in SURFSIDE 6 will always be appreciated.

The image of her in opening credits, sitting in a big fancy convertible and waving to us is burned in my memory!

When I talk to Diane, I will definitely do that.  Unfortunately, she is no longer on the Internet and she lives about 2 hours outside of Los Angeles in a mountain community where she is, quite possibly, currently snowbound.
You can dream…or you can do.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2009, 07:23:45 AM »

My favourite teacher was Norman Yonce, my senior English and Creative Writing Teacher. It was his first year at my high school and many of us established a special bond with him, because of his dynamic and unusual and inspiring teaching methods. We all thought he was 'the coolest". He did more to prepare me for college than any other teacher I had.  He also introduced me to William Goldman's writing by giving me copies of TEMPLE OF GOLD & YOUR TURN TO CURTSY, MY TURN TO BOW.  I've absolutely stayed in touch with him over the years.  He used to come down to see my plays in college, he's visited me in LA, we exchange email.  The last time I saw him was in October at our 40th high school reunion.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2009, 07:27:42 AM »

Good morning, all! I owe DR MBarnum an apology but I offer it only half-heartedly since the the word "picturize" is not in my Oxford English Dictionary and I refuse to accept it as a word any more than I accept this common occurrence of making up new verbs from old nouns: "deplaning" or "detraining," and now from the land of haute cuisine we have a new definition for the word "plating."

So, enough of my archaisms. I'm off to the post office and then a full day of Act One edits. My goal is to finish Act One by Monday. Tonight I'm seeing a movie with my drummer friend Chris. Tomorrow I have a date with goddaughter Charlotte.

Teachers: I had many teachers I admired and dearly loved, but I find the older I got, the worse the teachers did as well: out of all the instructors I had in college, nearly all of them were lousy with the exceptions listed below:

Grade school: Betty Fay, fourth grade teacher
Junior High: Valda Wilkerson, music
                   "Mousey" Matson, algebra (I cannot remember her real first name; Helen, praps?)
High school: Helen Weinberger, music
                   Elen Easton, English
College:   Robert Kane, Latin
              Max Welborn, World History
              Stanford Luce, French
              Homer Abegglen, Theatre history

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2009, 07:28:17 AM »

BK's notes about Otto Preminger reminded me of my former publicity client, the late Hugo Montenegro.  He did a score for one of Preminger's films (HURRY SUNDOWN?).

Hugo told me that, as we all know, Otto could be a rough task master, but that he knew what he was talking about.

When Hugo had presented his first version of the score to Preminger, Otto's reaction was "This is s**t!"

He then proceeded to explain to Hugo how to write a proper score and Montenegro went back and tried again.  Otto was happier the 2nd time around.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2009, 07:32:25 AM »

My mother's nickname in her 20s was Shally, a diminutive of her maiden name Shallenberger.

I've had a lot of great teachers, including a couple of semi-famous ones.  In college on the writing side I had Robert Mezey, who was a pretty famous poet in his day, and his good friend Robert Bly, who of course became quite famous a few years after I knew him.  (Mezey used to have a roach clip permanently affixed to his belt, I remember--LOL).  On the music side, Vladimir Ussachevsky, Billy Taylor, Jacques Loussier, Roy (and Katherine) Harris and Joe Henderson were all fantastic.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2009, 07:34:30 AM »

BK's notes about Otto Preminger reminded me of my former publicity client, the late Hugo Montenegro.  He did a score for one of Preminger's films (HURRY SUNDOWN?).

Hugo told me that, as we all know, Otto could be a rough task master, but that he knew what he was talking about.

When Hugo had presented his first version of the score to Preminger, Otto's reaction was "This is s**t!"

He then proceeded to explain to Hugo how to write a proper score and Montenegro went back and tried again.  Otto was happier the 2nd time around.

Doesn't Hugo have a son?  IIRC, I exchanged several emails with him somewhere along the line via a listserve for those of us who love instrumental pop covers (of course, Hugo's huge hit was his rendition of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2009, 07:38:36 AM »

My favorite teacher was Mrs. Patricia Borgstrom, my Drama Teacher during my senior year at Seattle's Garfield High School.

If it hadn't been for her, I might never have gone into show business.

Her predecessor, who I also liked, the late Joseph Steele-Shaw, almost never cast me in his shows.  He had his favorites.

But, when Mrs. B took over the class, she was very encouraging and she even gave me the lead in the Senior Play.  It was A SLIGHT CASE OF MURDER and I played Remy Marko, the role that Edward G. Robinson did in the movie.

I still keep in touch with her.  We exchange e-mails and talk perhaps once a year.  I saw her about 4 years ago when I was back in Seattle for my 45th high school reunion.  I gave a talk at the University of Washington Drama Dept.  She came, and we had lunch together after that.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Up