Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PUNDITS QUERY  (Read 21995 times)

td

• td
Re:THE PUNDITS QUERY
« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2004, 08:01:39 PM »

Chat is open but no one is home.  Come in if you like.  If not, we'll do a mid-week chat when some people are not being errant and truant.

I've been in chat; and i've had a full plate all week, but this weekend was the MONSTER BASH in Butler, PA. . .and despite rumors to the contrary, I was on good behavior:

here are the pictures to prove it:
http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v305/minx_the_dog/

That's a fellow countryman of Tomovoz sitting using my computer earlier today. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2004, 08:02:29 PM »

And, might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  Bitch-slapping aplenty shortly if we don't get some frenzy goin' on.

td

• td
« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2004, 08:05:30 PM »

I'd do a page four dance, but, my feet are killing me!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2004, 08:08:54 PM »

If they're doing Alias for young girls, they should probably cast that star of 30 Going on 13
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

td

• td
« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2004, 08:09:30 PM »

And, might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  Bitch-slapping aplenty shortly if we don't get some frenzy goin' on.

If you go to the link in my message, you might see some Bitches who might need to be slapped.   ;)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2004, 08:10:46 PM »

My first run on jury duty, I was empaneled twice.  At the time, it was mandatory to serve out the two weeks.  If a trial ended before the two weeks were over, the jurists were sent back to the pool.  Thus, I served once as an alternate (a theft case), and once on a civil case on the actual jury.

Civil cases are not fun.  It isn't only necessary to determine whether nor not someone is guilty, but what the damages should be.  In this case, a woman had been at a night club with her girlfriends when a fight broke out between two men at the club.  She got caught in the fight, and was injured.  However, the club's management did not get any information on the men, and just ejected them.  The only people she could sue were the club's management.

On the other hand, she had been led down a merry path by her lawyer, who sent her away from her original medical treatment to doctors unqualified for the kind of injury she sustained.  We, the jury, found the club neglegent, but also found her neglegent of her own physical well-being by not continuing with the original care.  All right, we were pissed off at her lawyer.  Which made us cut down the damages.

Like I say, not a fun case.  She really shouldn't have been punished for her lawyer's actions.  But he was the one doing her as much damage as the duo roughhousing in the nightclub, and far more intentionally.

I really don't like civil cases.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2004, 08:18:22 PM »

Second jury run.  Downtown Los Angeles.  I was first assigned to LA County Criminal.  Not assigned to any cases, but there was a need for jurors over at LA County Civil after a few days.  Changed courthouses.  No one wanted me on their panels.  Hey, a few days later I was sent over to Traffic Court.  Yep, traffic court.  That's where the drunks who think they can get their tickets overturned call for juries.

We found the drunk guilty.  (Danged if the fellow hadn't tried to blame everything on his wife.  Sweetheart of a guy.)

I haven't been on a jury since.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2004, 08:21:23 PM »

Being a woman without a country, I don't have to serve on juries.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2004, 08:22:49 PM »

My biggest problem with being on a jury is that der Brucer wants to know everything that's happening...while it's happening.  I, on the other hand, don't care to discuss a case while it's taking place.  After all, it is I who am on the jury, and who must make the decisions.  I think I am adult enough to do so without outside interference.

Der Brucer and I don't argue over a lot of things, but jury duty is never a good time for us.  It's a good thing I've never been on a big case, because the lack of communication would have killed him.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #99 on: June 27, 2004, 08:24:18 PM »

Being a woman without a country, I don't have to serve on juries.
So it is YOU Tom Hanks' performance in The Terminal is based upon!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2004, 08:31:33 PM »

My posting frenzy continues...

We are, obviously, back from the grandlad's birthday party.  First, what I brought to be served at the party went over very well.  The Tollhouse cookies were appreciated by young and old alike.  (The Grandmother of the grandlad apparently had liked what I'd made the first time; interesting how that hadn't been reported.)

Also, the potato salad went over quite well.  Yes, they liked the salad that was nothing but boiled and diced potatoes and hard-boiled eggs (chopped), mixed together with mayo.  

No one made any comment on my having laid a single sprig of parsley (fresh from our garden) atop the salad.  They just scooped up servings from around the parsley sprig.

On the way back home, der Brucer told me he'd found the salad "insipid."  And he was quite right.  Fortunately, I'd armed myself with a bottle of Tobasco, to make my own cooking palatable.

Panni

« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2004, 08:31:59 PM »

So it is YOU Tom Hanks' performance in The Terminal is based upon!

True.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2004, 08:38:29 PM »

A word should be said about the other food that was served at the party.

The London Broil was very well done.  Not burnt to a crisp, but certainly not medium rare.

The hamburgers were also very well done.  I'm glad mine had a slice of cheese on top; I like things that have flavor.

There was a quiche, that was actually quite good, with big ham chunks and broccoli.  Most of the guests weren't really sure of what the dish was supposed to be.

There was a dish of scalloped potatoes, sort of au gratin.  Well, it had been put under a broiler, and the top layer of cheese had melted.  Other than that, it tasted of potatoes that had been covered with milk, and then put in the oven to bake.  My salad was butch in comparison.

The ultimate dish served was a "pretzel salad."  Yes, a "pretzel salad."  Der Brucer was brave enough.  It is made of a layer of crushed pretzels, topped with a layer of cream cheese, which is then topped by a layer of strawberry preserves of some sort.  The ladies at the party thought it was wonderful.

MBarnum

« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2004, 08:39:01 PM »

Great pictures BK and TD! Bk, are you blushing in that picture of Tiffany and her, um, twin bobbies? I do believe you are.

No picture of Kim Richards?? Did you see her?? I must know!

I was E and T this evening, ashamedly so, as I was involved in another Bollywood film. It was a fairly fun one. SAJAN was the title and it started out as a frothy romantic comedy and turned into a murder mystery with 3 people confessing to the crime! I smell a cover-up!

It starred Asha Parekh, who is fast becoming one of my favorIte 1960s Indian actresses ( she was so cute in LOVE IN TOKYO).

« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 08:39:53 PM by MBarnum »

td

• td
« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2004, 08:41:06 PM »

Notice how MBarnum doesn't ask if I am blushing!

Panni

« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2004, 08:41:53 PM »

I am not a cat person. But the white cat who lives in the yard has decided that I'm to be her owner. I've been here since November... and for months she was stand-offish. Would run off when I came by. But things have changed, Dear Readers. She now runs up to me and meows whenever I step outside my little guest house. She rolls over in front of me as I walk, purrs, makes strange noises below my window at night. When I go out in the morning I find white hairs all over my front doormat -- so she's been sleeping there. True I feed her and have been scratching behind her ears. (She looks so pathetically lonely sleeping on the chaise by the pool.) Shouldn't have done that. (The scratching.) When I come inside after touching her and Wonderdog smells cat on me, he gives me guilt inducing looks. What is one to do?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 08:45:09 PM by Panni »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2004, 08:45:09 PM »

Want to get rid of the cat?  Play Cats - she'll bolt right out of there.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2004, 08:47:10 PM »

What wonderful pictures!  Thanks MR BK!

Marilyn Chambers AND Tiffany!  Now that's a show!

Maybe because you are in LA and you are just as likely to see a celebrity like yourself or Angela Cartwright or even Marilyn Chambers at Dorr's Market as you are at a the Beverly Garland Motel....well okay, Marilyn at the motel....but maybe that's why attendance is not as great as it might be in the hinterlands out hyar in the countreeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2004, 08:48:38 PM »

Oh I don't know, DREMILY, I think "I Slipped on a Banana on the Champ DelEsseye" (sp) will be hard to top!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #109 on: June 27, 2004, 08:48:43 PM »

Der Brucer and I were particularly thrilled with some of the family members at the party.  None had any interest in introducing themselves to us.  Neither did his daughter or son-in-law make the effort.  There was an enclave of six that sat at one table, as far away from everything as they could get, who couldn't even lift a finger to help with watching the kids at the party, or with anything else.  Nice.

On the other hand, the day care giver who recently gave birth to yet another child of her own, and her layabout husband, were there with their entire brood.  Well, there was food involved, and they need help feeding that many kids (at last count, six).  Apparently, the eldest boy is not the husband's child, but the mother's by a first marriage.  His father was killed in an accident of some sort, and he receives a nice sum per month as compensation.  Well, his mother and step-father get the money.  They spend it all on whatever they want, from gold chains for him to tanning salons for her.  None of it has been saved for the son, for when he becomes of age.  And of course, at the age of eightteen the money stops coming in.

The kids were all...well, kids are kids.  They argue, they push, they play and have fun and are completely unfeeling and totally feeling for each other.

A time was had by all.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #110 on: June 27, 2004, 08:49:14 PM »

Silent version of Last Days of Pompeii is coming on TCM!

Panni

« Reply #111 on: June 27, 2004, 08:51:41 PM »

Want to get rid of the cat?  Play Cats - she'll bolt right out of there.

You could have played a Cats selection for the lovely Ms. Tiffany...
Mammaries.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #112 on: June 27, 2004, 08:52:40 PM »

Driving back home with der Brucer from the party, we spotted a surprising number of fireflies.  I like them.  They are tiny, but magical.

Firefly Night would make a great title for a story.  But I have no idea what the story is, as yet.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #113 on: June 27, 2004, 08:56:23 PM »

Good news, DR MBarnum and others. Tonight was NOT the last night of Matt Battaglia's presence on QUEER AS FOLK. He was featured prominently in the previews for next week. Very happy about that.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #114 on: June 27, 2004, 08:57:56 PM »

Mammaries
Peeking out in the moonlight
In the quiet and dull night
Oh so thrilling to see
If my mammaries
Are globes that show what happiness is
Just remember:
Triple D!

8)

Matt H.

« Reply #115 on: June 27, 2004, 08:59:33 PM »

As I said earlier, I've never served on a real jury, but DR S. Woody, aren't you instructed not to discuss the case and jury deliberations with anyone outside the jury room? That's what they say on TV law shows.

Matt H.

« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2004, 09:01:03 PM »

Rather than putting in a new DVD, I continued watching GONE WITH THE WIND tonight before my other programs came on. The transfer is still wonderfully clear, deeply saturated, and a pleasure to watch.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #117 on: June 27, 2004, 09:02:08 PM »

As I said earlier, I've never served on a real jury, but DR S. Woody, aren't you instructed not to discuss the case and jury deliberations with anyone outside the jury room? That's what they say on TV law shows.
Absolutely.  That doesn't stop der Brucer from pressing with questions.  And press he does!

It's frustrating, because we normally enjoy talking with each other.  And he doesn't like taking no for an answer.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #118 on: June 27, 2004, 09:02:56 PM »

I'm frenzied out for the moment.  I'll be back later.

Matt H.

« Reply #119 on: June 27, 2004, 09:21:43 PM »

Driving back home with der Brucer from the party, we spotted a surprising number of fireflies.  I like them.  They are tiny, but magical.

Firefly Night would make a great title for a story.  But I have no idea what the story is, as yet.

Joss Whedon (of BUFFY and ANGEL fame) had a series on Fox called FIREFLY two seasons ago. Fox only let it run half a season, but Whedon got the go-ahead to do a feature film version of the show. I think it's going to be called SERENDIPITY.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up