Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DAY OF THE STUMBLE-THROUGH  (Read 3845 times)

ChasSmith

Re: THE DAY OF THE STUMBLE-THROUGH
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2014, 12:31:00 PM »

I've been in various aspects of a Getting Rid Of mode for the past few years, and while standing around watching the A/C get repaired this morning, I was looking around and finding LOTS of sh stuff in the basement that's going to be outta here within the week.  It's amazing, the comparatively simple stuff we put off sometimes because we just don't want to think about it.  And it can be hard to get started.  Well, I got started mentally today, and I look forward to regaining some square and cubic feet.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2014, 12:32:37 PM »

I've been in various aspects of a Getting Rid Of mode for the past few years, and while standing around watching the A/C get repaired this morning, I was looking around and finding LOTS of sh stuff in the basement that's going to be outta here within the week.  It's amazing, the comparatively simple stuff we put off sometimes because we just don't want to think about it.  And it can be hard to get started.  Well, I got started mentally today, and I look forward to regaining some square and cubic feet.

Pruning vibes to you!

ChasSmith

« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2014, 12:33:56 PM »

Chas, do you feel that everyone wants your money? I'm quite familiar with that one.

Oh yes, times like this usually bring up that feeling.  And it always seems that things run in groups, so that as soon as the second or third thing goes wrong, it somehow opens you up to the big bad universe and other things rush in to join the party.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2014, 12:33:59 PM »

I find that it really helps to be in the mood to toss.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2014, 12:36:25 PM »

Chas, do you feel that everyone wants your money? I'm quite familiar with that one.

Oh yes, times like this usually bring up that feeling.  And it always seems that things run in groups, so that as soon as the second or third thing goes wrong, it somehow opens you up to the big bad universe and other things rush in to join the party.

JRand may have a explanation for that. One of the planets decides that our money needs to be redistributed and BAM! Car repair! Dental work! You name it.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2014, 12:39:40 PM »

I need to get a few more things done today.

TTFN.

Ginny

« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2014, 12:51:06 PM »

JRand may have a explanation for that. One of the planets decides that our money needs to be redistributed and BAM! Car repair! Dental work! You name it.

Home improvements!

Actually, we're very grateful to Rob and Mary Linda for the incentive to do lots of things around here that we should have done a long time ago.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2014, 12:57:46 PM »

I went to the eye doctor at Costco. Afterward, I went through the store and found in the DVD section about eight Criterion Collection titles. Msot were priced at $19.99, which was was you get at Barnes and Noble during the sale. The Criterion version of "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" was actually cheaper. he only other title I remember was "The Lady Vanishes."
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2014, 01:05:11 PM »

In more pleasant news, I've been reacquainting myself with the beauty that is FINIAN'S RAINBOW, by way of the three Broadway cast albums.

I'm very upset with myself for not having seen the revival.  The album is pure magic, ranking with some of the greatest in terms of capturing Broadway musical magic.  Mr. Berman's conducting, as at Encores!, is to die for.  It doesn't hurt that the music and lyrics themselves don't exactly suck, either.

I don't know the extent of DR Elmore's contributions, but I can take an educated guess at a couple of things.  I took out the battered old vocal score that I probably hadn't looked at in three decades.  While it's woefully simplistic in its piano reduction and notation, it's still a pleasure to have. 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 01:20:34 PM by ChasSmith »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2014, 01:19:52 PM »

In more pleasant news, I've been reacquainting myself with the beauty that is FINIAN'S RAINBOW, by way of the three Broadway cast albums.

I'm very upset with myself for not having seen the revival.  The album is pure magic, ranking with some of the greatest in terms of capturing Broadway musical magic.  Mr. Berman's conducting, as at Encores!, is to die for.  It doesn't hurt that the music and lyrics themselves don't exactly suck, either.

I don't know the extent of DR Elmore's contributions, but I can take an educated guess at a couple of things.  I took out the battered old vocal score that I probably hadn't looked at in three decades.  While it's woefully simplistic in its piano reduction and notation, it's still a pleasure to have. 

Any differences in the published vocal score and the recording are most likely my orchestrations: 6 bars here, 10 bars there.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2014, 01:29:56 PM »

Good morning, all.

First day of Autumn!

No, that's not right.  But it is indeed only 60 degrees at present, and feels like that, even if it is warming to 80 degrees today.

60‽

It is a cool 85 degrees here.  So far we only have the air on in our bedroom.  By tomorrow we will turn it on for the rest of the house.

Jane

« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2014, 01:32:22 PM »

Good morning.

Today would have been my mother's 95th birthday. At my church, celebrating 90th birthdays is a big thing, since most people don't make it to 100.

My mother didn't make it to 90. She passed away at 84. But I held a celebration on her 90th, anyway.

Her 90th birthday was on a Sunday. I placed pink flowers on the worship table. After the morning prayer was concluded, our pianist accompanied me on "His Eye is on the Sparrow," her favorite hymn. Our wonderful Elmore wrote a very beautiful special arrangement just for this occasion.  Thank you again, Elmore.

This is a nice tribute to your mother's memory.

ChasSmith

« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2014, 01:34:35 PM »

And in still other lovely news, what I just took out of the mailbox goes to show that IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2014, 01:35:36 PM »

Good morning.

Today would have been my mother's 95th birthday. At my church, celebrating 90th birthdays is a big thing, since most people don't make it to 100.

My mother didn't make it to 90. She passed away at 84. But I held a celebration on her 90th, anyway.

Her 90th birthday was on a Sunday. I placed pink flowers on the worship table. After the morning prayer was concluded, our pianist accompanied me on "His Eye is on the Sparrow," her favorite hymn. Our wonderful Elmore wrote a very beautiful special arrangement just for this occasion.  Thank you again, Elmore.

Happy Birthday to your mother, Laura!  Sounds like it was a lovely tribute to her. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2014, 01:35:50 PM »

George -- and any other Stephen Flaherty fans out there -- have you heard of this show, In Your Arms? I'd love to see it. The cast sounds great. And the video was intriguing.

http://playbill.com/news/article/193131-Tony-Winning-Broadway-Talent-Flock-to-Dance-Musical-In-Your-Arms-Beginning-Tonight

I hadn't heard about this...thanks for sharing, John!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2014, 01:36:00 PM »

TOD

There's Mel, There's Woody and There's You

Starring Jason Graae

That would be good!  Guy Haines could be his understudy!

;)

George

« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2014, 01:36:31 PM »

Well, the fun never ends.

Car dealer just called me --

Oh wait, maybe I didn't say the car was at the dealer's today for three things that need repair or adjustment.  The big thing was the driver's door latch where the fault was found in the security system, a replacement job taking a few hours.

Anyhoo...  they were to have everything done this afternoon, but they just called me with "good news and bad news":  they've got the door half taken apart and found something ridiculously broken in the window system.  What will put it right is a $50 part.  The bad news:  the part's in New Jersey and they won't have it till Tuesday.   (They're closed on Mondays, so that's actually the next working day.)

So, they want to keep the car till then and complete the repair.  Why?  Because putting that $50 part in won't add anything to the labor cost while they've got the thing opened up.  If they put it back together and I take the car today and bring it back, that job will cost me more like $300.  They could provide me with a loaner, but the timing on its availability is so tight that I found a friend with a car I can use between now and then.

Did I mention how the fun never ends?

~~~Car Vibes for ChasSmith!!~~~

George

« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2014, 01:36:47 PM »

And speaking of dental work, I just got a bill for $178!  WTF??  I've never had to pay before...it's always been covered by my dental insurance.  They didn't do anything special the last time (at the beginning of May), so why do I have to pay?  I'll make a call on Monday, for sure!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2014, 01:42:40 PM »

I gotta tell you.

Jane

« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2014, 01:49:05 PM »

DR Chas, good news your AC was fixed.  Good luck it wasn't too pricey.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 01:51:25 PM by Jane »

Jane

« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2014, 01:52:14 PM »

Nice pics DR Ben.  With the drought I wonder if our wild blackberries will be decent.   

Jane

« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2014, 01:57:51 PM »

Fireworks - filmed from inside:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9KZ3jgbbmI#t=75

That was beautiful.  Keith's cousin has a drone.  I will have to send this to him.

Jane

« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2014, 01:58:51 PM »

There was a big fireworks show not too far from house, and it was quite pleasant to watch some of it form my front porch.  Luckily the noise (which was loud enough to rattle the windows and walls) does not bother Sugar at all.  Same with thunderstorms-- so we are both very lucky that is not a problem.  There have only been a couple of times during storms when a thunder clap was so loud that she got upset-- and we both jumped under the covers for those.

Sugar is such a good girl.

George

« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2014, 02:00:40 PM »

And now, I must be off.  I have to take a shower, then go to Costco for some foodstuffs for a pot-luck wedding reception that I'm going to tonight (the couple does not want any gifts...love that!), go work for a few hours to make up some time, and then go to the wedding reception.

Have a good day, all!

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2014, 02:01:57 PM »

I really do need to get rid of more, but find that I can't work at it for hours on end like I used to.

Wow - we are in exactly the same boat.        :P
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Jane

« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2014, 02:02:58 PM »

Later this afternoon they will be broadcasting a special 3-hour version of "A Prairie Home Companion," to celebrate its 40th anniversary on the air. It is an outdoor event from the campus of Macalester College.  Some friends of mine are going (I am going to listen on the radio), and I have volunteered to drop them off, as parking for miles around will be a madhouse.

What a thoughtful offer when you aren't even going.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2014, 02:04:13 PM »

Back home from transporting folks to the site of the Garrison Keillor show.

One of them just called on her cell phone. A load of fresh lemon bars intended for the picnic was inadvertently left in the back seat of my car.

It's my heavenly reward.       :)
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Jane

« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2014, 02:07:00 PM »

And speaking of dental work, I just got a bill for $178!  WTF??  I've never had to pay before...it's always been covered by my dental insurance.  They didn't do anything special the last time (at the beginning of May), so why do I have to pay?  I'll make a call on Monday, for sure!

VIBES IT IS THEIR ERROR!!

Jane

« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2014, 02:07:57 PM »

One of them just called on her cell phone. A load of fresh lemon bars intended for the picnic was inadvertently left in the back seat of my car.

It's my heavenly reward.       :)

:)

You aren't picking them up when it is over?

ChasSmith

« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2014, 02:11:15 PM »

It's my heavenly reward.       :)

(While the rest of us get our money redistributed.)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up