Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: UNFASHIONABLY LATE  (Read 6315 times)

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
Re: UNFASHIONABLY LATE
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2014, 01:31:27 PM »

3!
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2014, 01:32:40 PM »

How sad about the loss of your teacher and friend, DR elmore3003. How fortunate you were to come into his orbit. He sounds like the kind of educator that everyone longs to have been inspired by.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2014, 01:33:21 PM »

That looked good.

And this particular version is vegan!      :)

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2014, 01:33:50 PM »

As are those snickerdoodles.

Ginny

« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2014, 01:53:03 PM »

I just got my Miami University alumni magazine, and I was saddened to learn of the death of Robert Kane...He was young. He died on January 2, eight days before his 76th birthday.

Not only was he young when he died, he was very young when he was your professor.  Condolences to you and to all who loved Dr. Kane.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2014, 01:56:16 PM »

Wednesday morning greetings!  Our new bedroom curtains block a lot more light than the old ones and I managed to sleep until about 8:30 this morning. 

We could use those curtains.  At 5:20 this morning I thought is was time to get up.

Are you pleased with the look of your new curtains?

The new curtains are very plain, but, yes, I'm pleased with the look.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

ryacko

• Fancy an awkward pause?
    • Robert Yacko's dot com
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2014, 02:01:12 PM »

Happy Hump Day, all!

It's been an interesting flashback week. I had heard some time ago that there was a bootleg video floating about somewhere of the production of CHESS that I did in 1990 with Jodi Benson. It was David Bell's version using the London orchestrations, some of the NY book, some of David's book additions and some elements of the Australian production.

I discovered someone last week who had streamed that very bootleg on his Tumblr twice, just last month, and through him, I found the files online. I now have them and have watched the entire show. I had a good laugh at the hairstyles, some of the clothes and some of the Solid Gold Dancer-esque choreography, but all in all, it was quite a good production. And it is always intriguing and full of lessons to watch your younger self work.

Since the video is in VOB format, I'm going to attempt to transfer it into mp4's and edit the transfers to post a few bits on YouTube and maybe on my site.

Then last night, Fran Soeder, who directed me in both SUNDAY IN THE PARK and MARRY ME A LITTLE, sent me a scan of some set sketches and photo proof sheets from MARRY ME A LITTLE from '87.

So, a good career time of the past returns. I wonder what that message means. Hopefully more good things soon. We shall see.  :)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2014, 02:10:14 PM »

Has anybody listened to the recording if Heathers? I had loved the movie and find this to be fun. High schools won't be staging this one. They've kept the black humor intact.

I have it, but have only listened to it once.  I want to give it a couple more listens before forming an opinion.  I haven't seen the movie, so I don't know anything else about it.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2014, 02:21:01 PM »

I just got my Miami University alumni magazine, and I was saddened to learn of the death of Robert Kane...He was young. He died on January 2, eight days before his 76th birthday.

Not only was he young when he died, he was very young when he was your professor.  Condolences to you and to all who loved Dr. Kane.

When I was 18, he was 26; he always seemed older. He must have finished his Ph.D. and come straight to Oxford. My freshman year, I was a terrible student: I cut classes regularly and was generally seen playing on campus rather than studying. At one point, after I'd missed about three weeks of classes, he said to me, "I don't care if you come to class but could you at least keep in touch?"

Well, I almost flunked out at the end of my freshman year, and that ended that nonsense. It was the dean's list every year after that.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:44:23 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2014, 02:32:35 PM »

That looked good.

And this particular version is vegan!      :)

Even better.  What was used for the french toast part instead of eggs?

Jane

« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2014, 02:34:05 PM »

Wednesday morning greetings!  Our new bedroom curtains block a lot more light than the old ones and I managed to sleep until about 8:30 this morning. 

We could use those curtains.  At 5:20 this morning I thought is was time to get up.

Are you pleased with the look of your new curtains?

The new curtains are very plain, but, yes, I'm pleased with the look.

Most important is that you like the results. I hope there will soon be a photo.

Jane

« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2014, 02:35:46 PM »

DR elmore I never imagined you not excelling in school.  I enjoyed your memories of that time.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2014, 02:55:28 PM »

When I was 18, he was 26; he always seemed older. He must have finished his Ph.D. and come straight to Oxford. My freshman year, I was a terrible student: I cut classes regularly and was generally seen playing on campus rather than studying. At one point, after I'd missed about three weeks of classes, he said to me, "I don't care if you come to class but could you at least keep in touch?"

Well, I almost flunked out at the end of my freshman year, and that ended that nonsense. It was the dean's list every year after that.

Good for him, and so sorry for your loss. I wish I had had teachers like that before my last few semesters of grad school.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2014, 02:56:34 PM »

Has anybody listened to the recording if Heathers? I had loved the movie and find this to be fun. High schools won't be staging this one. They've kept the black humor intact.

I have it, but have only listened to it once.  I want to give it a couple more listens before forming an opinion.  I haven't seen the movie, so I don't know anything else about it.

If you don't know the movie, some of the dialog might seem, well, outre. But that's what left me howling after seeing the movie and then forcing it on friends, most of whom liked it. My pentecostal sister did not.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2014, 02:58:15 PM »

Keith was able to see the doctor today, the one that had to cancel at almost the last minute.  I'm impressed, the doctor apologized and was relieved to find out the office caught Keith before he left the house.

The bad news is Keith, as we had feared, will need surgery for a subluxing ulnar nerve transposition.  The surgery is called submuscular ulnar nerve transposition and will have a 6-8 week recovery.  At least it is in his left elbow.  Due to symptoms of popping in his elbow, tingling & numbness in his fingers, etc. Keith had self diagnosed & self treated.  The orthopedists said Keith treated exactly as he would have for the initial amount of time.  Since that didn't work the next step is surgery.   >:(

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2014, 03:18:11 PM »

Good for him, and so sorry for your loss. I wish I had had teachers like that before my last few semesters of grad school.

He once told me I read and scanned Latin verse, Virgil's AENEID in particular, better than anyone.  In my freshman year Latin, we read Plautus' MENAECHMI, and snce it was the source for Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors, he made the class listen to the Lehman Engel recording of BOYS FROM SYRACUSE. He loved Hart's lyrics.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2014, 03:20:31 PM »

If you don't know the movie, some of the dialog might seem, well, outre. But that's what left me howling after seeing the movie and then forcing it on friends, most of whom liked it. My pentecostal sister did not.

Give your sister the DVD of SAVED. She'll like HEATHERS better!

Jane

« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2014, 03:23:57 PM »

He once told me I read and scanned Latin verse, Virgil's AENEID in particular, better than anyone. 

What an incredible complement from someone you had such great respect for.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2014, 03:48:54 PM »

He once told me I read and scanned Latin verse, Virgil's AENEID in particular, better than anyone. 

What an incredible complement from someone you had such great respect for.

I haven't thought about Latin and Greek since I abandoned Classics for Theatre in 1968. Occasionally, I will think that's a periphrastic phrase, but it all seems so long ago now. The one thing learning Latin grammar did was perk up my English grammar, and I am very grateful for that.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2014, 04:00:47 PM »

Really sorry to hear that diagnosis for Keith, DR Jane.  It sounds like all is under control and that things are well in hand, though.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2014, 04:03:46 PM »

I just added it to my Netflix cue.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2014, 04:08:19 PM »

Really sorry to hear that diagnosis for Keith, DR Jane.  It sounds like all is under control and that things are well in hand, though.

Thanks.  We are nervous about the surgery and that it will go well.  It won't be until next month.  He will have to find help for the yard work because I can't do it.  Finding help out here has not always been easy to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2014, 04:12:24 PM »

Okay, you East Coast dear readers - Sandy's show is Sunday.  For you, she will provide an all-comp evening, food, drink and cover charge.  Let's put together a fun group, shall we?  It's a really fun show - it's basically the Simply album.  We need to fill the room a bit, so let me know who can come and I'll get the names on the list.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: July 16, 2014, 04:18:50 PM »

BTW, the show is at four, so no, you won't get home late you'll be out of there by five-fifteen.

Jane

« Reply #84 on: July 16, 2014, 04:22:06 PM »

That sounds like fun.  I hope a lot of the East Coaster's can make it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: July 16, 2014, 04:27:03 PM »

What is this page three crap?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2014, 04:27:16 PM »

Page three is worse than UNDERPANTS.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2014, 04:27:28 PM »

Get me off this damn page NOW.

Jane

« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2014, 04:30:27 PM »

Medford, the town DR MBarnum is from, is dealing with a serial arsonist.  I hope they catch this person soon!!!!

http://www.kdrv.com/community-reacts-to-serial-arsonist/

Jane

« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2014, 04:45:38 PM »

I seem to constantly have 2-3 books out from my eBook library.  Just purchased, first on the list, now in is
"The Mockingbird Next Door" by Marja Mills

"a charming-if-slight book called The Mockingbird Next Door that provides glimpses into the twilight years of Alice and Harper Lee."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up