Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SARNO'S  (Read 4894 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: SARNO'S
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2014, 10:48:06 AM »

Any Stritchie stories from when you worked with her, BK?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2014, 10:48:50 AM »

Three!

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2014, 11:03:27 AM »

Hope all is well around these parts!   

Ginny

« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2014, 11:32:25 AM »

Sorry to hear about Elaine Stritch...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2014, 11:43:11 AM »

Boy, I get home and find Elaine Stritch has died. I was lucky to work with her three times, two concerts for the New York City Gay Men's Chorus and a Gay Men's Health Crisis benefit - with her, Lypsinka, Patti Lupone, Lainie Kazan, and Bette Midler - and on each she was a handful. She suffered fools with no patience at all, but if she trusted you, the work was a wonderful time. I liked her a great deal.

DR Matthew! Great to see you back.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2014, 11:46:42 AM »

Nice to see you, Matthew. Welcome home.
― Voltaire

MBarnum

« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2014, 12:07:42 PM »

RIP Elaine Stritch.

I have to admit that I am not as familiar with her as most DRs here are. Looking at her credits I have seen only one of her films, and that is THE SCARLET HOUR...don't even remember who she played. Of course I likely have seen some of her television work, but I wouldn't be able to pick her out of a line-up.

I mostly just know of her from discussions you all have had about her. I have, no doubt, missed out on some wonderful entertainment.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2014, 12:24:44 PM »

I am in shock about Elaine Stritch.  I thought she would live forever.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2014, 12:40:39 PM »

Me, too!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2014, 01:14:47 PM »

Me, too!

Me three. :(

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2014, 01:40:01 PM »

From DR Chas:
Seriously, these shoulder things sound awful.  I've been through two experiences of "frozen shoulder" in the past several years.  This, at least the way I've had it, has no particular treatment.  It eventually goes away by itself just as mysteriously as the way it came.  But it restricts your arm movements like crazy, for months, and can be very painful if you're not careful.

My brother had that and eventually it went away.  A friend of mine did PT for it and hers seemed to go away more quickly, however, the PT sounded as painful as mine for the broken shoulder.  At least she didn't have to endure the pain nearly as long as I did, and of course it finally went completely away.

Jane

« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2014, 01:47:12 PM »

From DR TCB:
Don't let Harper Lee know that you bought that book.

I did not purchase it, the library did ;)

I did a search to see why you said that.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/books/2014/07/15/harper-lee-dispute-the-mockingbird-next-door/12671487/

Jane

« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2014, 01:50:54 PM »

Thank you DR John and DR TCB.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2014, 01:52:19 PM »

Hello, everyone.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2014, 01:52:19 PM »

And the word of the day is: TAUTOLOGY!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  CANDY

Jane

« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2014, 01:52:20 PM »

Thursday morning greetings!  SW Ohio is having some glorious Michigan-like summer weather - cool nights, low humidity. 

I literally choked while reading this.  Low humidity is not how I remember Michigan summers.

Jane

« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2014, 01:57:22 PM »

TOD:

I went to Italy with friends a few years ago who wanted to share a place that had a full kitchen so we could go to the market, but fresh foods and cook them ourselves. One day, it rained and the three of us men in the group ended up at the restaurant next door for lunch. I had the most incredible lasagna I'll ever eat in my entire life. It was seven layers of pasta with fresh slivers of sauteed porcini mushrooms between each layer and the whole thing was no great than 3/4 of an inch thick. Smothered in butter. Beautiful.

I was ready to abandon cooking right then and there and just eat that food for the rest of the trip. We only got back there two more times, but the food on each visit was as close to Italian perfection as I shall likely ever taste.

Where in Italy and what is the name of the restaurant?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2014, 02:02:11 PM »

The plumber was due at 8:00 this morning--a most uncivilized hour IMHO. I didn't sleep all that well, which often happens when I know I must wake up early. (The fact that an alarm was set didn't seem to help.) He arrived at 8:10 and he and his helper spent the next two hours snaking my drain and installing a new garbage disposal. Shortly after they left I attempted to resume cleaning out the refrigerator, the project I'd just begun last Sunday when the garbage disposal died and the sink clogged. Guess what? It backed up again.

I phoned the plumber, who arrived about an hour later. By this time the sink had drained.  He insisted that I'd done something wrong--he ALWAYS blames these things on me--and that the new disposal was working properly. We tested it a few times. It doesn't sound right to me, doesn't make the usual grind and whir sounds, but it didn't back up. He told me that I'm supposed to be putting kitchen waste in the regular trash. WHAT??!! Why does one have a garbage disposal then?  I'm not convinced that all is well, but since the management here will believe him over me, I'll try to live with it. I don't use the disposal a lot and never put anything iffy into it, anyway.

Jane

« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2014, 02:03:44 PM »

I hope our well is as good as we think it is.  I just read that the well-drilling companies are booked out for months due to the drought. 

We are conserving water as much as possible.  I don't even do laundry without checking with Keith first that he hasn't used too much water outside.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2014, 02:08:16 PM »

I'm desperate for more sleep, so I shall try to nap. I picked up a new David Liss novel the other evening and have that to soothe my jangled nerves. Not enough sleep + stress = useless. There's nothing that can't wait a bit.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2014, 02:10:36 PM »

I hope our well is as good as we think it is.  I just read that the well-drilling companies are booked out for months due to the drought. 

We are conserving water as much as possible.  I don't even do laundry without checking with Keith first that he hasn't used too much water outside.

I know of a California B&B that has had to close because their well has run dry. It is truly a serious situation. I question whether everyone is taking it seriously, though.

Jane

« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2014, 02:11:28 PM »

Yes DR JANE we were to be out on July 15....my sister canceled the alarm service yesterday, along with the telephone and electricity.....which was especially nice, because his office is next to our former place, and his [small] electric bill was tied to ours. So he had no electric service until he got it turned back on.

That is funny and a nice payback for having to pay his bill all these years :)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2014, 02:13:58 PM »

I think that California will need to consider using gray water--water that's been used for washing clothes or dishes--for some applications. It will require replumbing, though, which is expensive. Instead of developing yet another generation of cell phones I'd like to see more R&D go into these sorts of projects.

Jane

« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2014, 02:14:14 PM »

I called Comcast and it seems that my modem is quite ancient. I plan to have it replaced and I am hoping that, perhaps, it will fix the issues with Netflix and Amazon.com streaming on my tv.

The modem that I will be getting is a modem/router combined, so I will not now need to have two box thingys sitting behind my tv.

I am going to have a Comcast guy come and hook it up, as I am not totally convinced that I will do it correctly.

Good luck this solves your problems.  When we finally move from here maybe we too can get streaming.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2014, 02:16:14 PM »

I shall bid you all a MEGA dose of ALL-PURPOSE VIBES, then have a bit of chocolate and return to Mr Liss.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2014, 02:16:46 PM »

TTFN.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2014, 02:19:35 PM »

Stritch stories are in Album Produced by.  But I loved the first time I spoke to her on the phone about her doing Drat! The Cat!.  She asked what the money was and I told her we paid scale, per song - she had one song in the show.  She asked what scale was and when I told her she did that famous Stritch growl and said, Oh, I can't leave my apartment for less than five hundred bucks."  I told her that we'd pay her that and get her a car to get her to the studio.  She was fine and happy after that.

Jane

« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2014, 02:19:54 PM »

My neighbor's story was that his wife said "Get rid of the computer chair" and he put the wrong one outside.

He is home, but he has yet to bring my computer chair with arms back across the street.

Whatever his reasons, or his odd way of asking for the chair, I think you did the right thing to return it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2014, 02:19:55 PM »

Had a really fun lunch with Kay Cole and her ever-lovin' Michael Lamont.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2014, 02:23:22 PM »

TOD:

I went to Italy with friends a few years ago who wanted to share a place that had a full kitchen so we could go to the market, but fresh foods and cook them ourselves. One day, it rained and the three of us men in the group ended up at the restaurant next door for lunch. I had the most incredible lasagna I'll ever eat in my entire life. It was seven layers of pasta with fresh slivers of sauteed porcini mushrooms between each layer and the whole thing was no great than 3/4 of an inch thick. Smothered in butter. Beautiful.

I was ready to abandon cooking right then and there and just eat that food for the rest of the trip. We only got back there two more times, but the food on each visit was as close to Italian perfection as I shall likely ever taste.

Where in Italy and what is the name of the restaurant?

I'd love to know this, as well.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up