Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MR. ORMANDY AND THE PHILADELPHIA ORCHESTRA  (Read 4762 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
MR. ORMANDY AND THE PHILADELPHIA ORCHESTRA
« on: July 20, 2014, 12:22:01 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes spoke of Mr. Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra, and now it is time for you to post until the Philadelphia cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: MR. ORMANDY AND THE PHILADELPHIA ORCHESTRA
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 12:23:09 AM »

And the word of the day is: ORRERY!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 12:24:18 AM »

And a very happy haineshisway.com birthday to Miss Karen, who doesn't live here anymore.  She is mother to the original Zubrick of The Brain, Cason Murphy.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 03:51:23 AM »

A very happy to former DR Miss Karen.  I miss your face!

I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 03:53:06 AM »

You can get a new copy of that Entremont box set on Amazon (that bk mentioned in today's notes) for only $33, if you're willing to wait for it to be shipped from the UK.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 04:00:50 AM »

Sad news - apparently we have lost James Garner.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 04:08:35 AM »

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 04:12:40 AM »

Wouldn't you love to be sitting at this table?      :)

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 04:21:45 AM »

Oops!!!

ChasSmith

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 04:23:18 AM »

Good morning, all.

What happened to that last hour of sleep I'd intended to get?

Well, not a big deal.  But I was in an incredibly intense dream that I wouldn't have minded seeing seeing through.  It was one of those solid ones that's pretty easy to remember a lot of detail from, right off the bat.  What bizarre things I come up with.  It involved people and events from 25 years ago, loosely based on real memories and events, and a couple of the people have been dead since.  Nothing scary or sad or particularly unpleasant in any way, but in the cold light of day I marvel that it stayed pleasant and interesting.  Bottom line, though, it's just bizarre, the stuff you come up with, and believe it's real.

Coffee!

FJL

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 04:40:58 AM »

Birthday greetings to Miss Karen

FJL

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 04:50:50 AM »

Bottom line, though, it's just bizarre, the stuff you come up with, and believe it's real.

I have a brother who REALLY needs to learn the difference.  :)   He's gotten so convinced that something is real that he's confronted people on them, and it can take some doing to convince him that what he says - never really happened

« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 02:32:42 PM by FJL »

Michael

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 04:53:05 AM »

good morning to all
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 04:55:16 AM »

We lost two of my favorite performers this past week.

I really don't think there are any performers of the younger ilk could even come close to their abilities.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 04:57:19 AM »

It took me a moment to realize that it was Carol Burnett on the left
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 05:01:17 AM »

I would pay top money to see the acting on stage in a play or musical together
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 05:04:24 AM »

Oops!!!

It's quite obvious to me that is Marie Antoinette after her meeting the falling blade.
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2014, 05:06:04 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

ChasSmith

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2014, 05:10:07 AM »

Very much enjoyed the notes on Ormandy.

Since my parents had joined the Columbia Record Club, a number of our classical albums were Ormandy, too.  (That would change a little, for me, as I gravitated toward Bernstein with the emergence of West Side Story and the Symphonic Dances album, and later the Mahler symphonies.)  I don't remember many specific albums, but Ormandy's Grand Canyon Suite comes to mind.  If you want to laugh, at that time I was judging Grand Canyon Suite recordings by how I liked the obligatory cover photograph, and Ormandy's is burned into my memory. 

We probably had an Entremont recording or two, but I think our Columbia expenditures leaned more heavily toward Broadway cast albums and my dad's Mitch Miller albums.  At some point in my high school years I started my own membership in the RCA club, probably more for the additional cast albums than anything. 

I've said previously that Ormandy's "Carmina Burana" holds a special place in the heart, and I still have it on a pristine original LP and on reel-to-reel tape.

Michael

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2014, 05:12:20 AM »

I really don't think there are any performers of the younger ilk could even come close to their abilities.

I must say though that I saw several extraordinary, remarkable performing (and also creative) talents in my school days, whose innate abilities could rival the people who are making it, but they just couldn't be bothered with what someone has to go through to build a career in modern show business, and chose a more financially secure life in the business world.  It makes me think the talent is there, but the business has changed.

So many had the studios behind them. Even in the early days of television Warner Brothers, Universal, Fox had their stable of talent. There were only three networks ABC, CBS, NBC who believed in performers. They would get TV shows and even if they were not success they would give them 13 weeks or even a full season of shows. Remember when a first run season consisted of 39 first episodes and ran about 26 minutes with opening closing titles?

No we are lucky if a sitcom is 20 minutes long and the opening/closing credits are basically a thing of the past.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 05:13:54 AM by Mike »
Never stop dreaming.

ChasSmith

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2014, 05:17:13 AM »

More coffee!

FJL

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2014, 05:25:06 AM »

New study reported on AOL says early bird may get the worm, but may be more likely to lie to get it:

"If you ever wondered what's wrong with people who jump right out of bed in the morning, well, a new study shows you might just be onto something: early risers may be less honest as the day goes on.
According to the US study with data acquired by researchers from Johns Hopkins, Washington and Georgetown, early birds may get the worm but they may not be so moral to get it. So, larks are more likely to cheat and lie than people who are late to bed and late to rise.
This of course flips the stereotype that night owls are badly behaved. But, before you start judging all your friends, family and lovers based on their sleep schedule -- listen up, because while morning types were less likely to resist temptation in the evening when their mental energy was low, those who burn the midnight oil tend to have similar issues in the morning when they're tired.
So, in the end, it turns out, you can't trust anyone. But, at least you know when it's more likely they're telling the truth."

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
!!!
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2014, 05:25:35 AM »

~ ~ ~ HEARTFELT VIBES FOR A LIVELY AND LOVELIER-THAN-LOVELY HHW REUNION ~ ~ ~ this evening!!!!  Wish I could be there!

FJL

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2014, 05:26:57 AM »

I must say though that I saw several extraordinary, remarkable performing (and also creative) talents in my school days, whose innate abilities could rival the people who are making it, but they just couldn't be bothered with what someone has to go through to build a career in modern show business, and chose a more financially secure life in the business world.  It makes me think the talent is there, but the business has changed.

So many had the studios behind them. Even in the early days of television Warner Brothers, Universal, Fox had their stable of talent. There were only three networks ABC, CBS, NBC who believed in performers. They would get TV shows and even if they were not success they would give them 13 weeks or even a full season of shows. Remember when a first run season consisted of 39 first episodes and ran about 26 minutes with opening closing titles?

No we are lucky if a sitcom is 20 minutes long and the opening/closing credits are basically a thing of the past.

Mike, I had pulled that post of mine down, afraid it might be too controversial for a Sunday morning, but what you say makes total sense!

FJL

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2014, 05:30:32 AM »

~ ~ ~ HEARTFELT VIBES FOR A LIVELY AND LOVELIER-THAN-LOVELY HHW REUNION ~ ~ ~ this evening!!!!  Wish I could be there!

Ditto from here.  Sandy is a joy to watch and hear, and puts on a great show (with BK's terrific direction).

Kerry

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2014, 05:36:27 AM »

It's Sunday again.  Well, good morning.
I like boat races.

ChasSmith

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2014, 05:45:21 AM »

Ditto from here.  Sandy is a joy to watch and hear, and puts on a great show (with BK's terrific direction).

Totally!

It will be a fine HHW day in the Apple.  I'm driving in early and will meet DR Elmore at Toyland, then we will join DR vixmom and the clan at the Metropolitan Room.  Looking forward to all of it!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2014, 05:45:40 AM »

Good morning, all! I did not find an alarm i liked yesterday so I ordered one from Amazon. The one I have did not ring this morning, and that really bothers me. Still, I am up and soon to head down to Toyland.

I think that Ormandy recording of Carmina Burana may have been one of the firsts, if not the first.  He was a wonderful conductor, but I think he, like Reiner, Monteux, Fiedler, Ansermet, and others, may be looked down and perhaps forgotten as well, by trendy au courant critics whose memories are shunted aside by all that knowledge they claim to carry.  I like the work of all these gentlemen.

I did find Ormandy's recording of "The Moldau" on CD, BK:
http://www.amazon.com/Smetana-Moldau-Dvorak-Sym-No-9/dp/B000025GBE/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405858902&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=eugene+ormandy+moldau
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 05:50:03 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2014, 05:47:06 AM »

Today is National Ice Cream Day.  Just so you know.      :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2014, 05:47:39 AM »

So is this Entremont set the complete piano concert recordings?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up