Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DAILY GRIND  (Read 7120 times)

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
Re: THE DAILY GRIND
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2014, 07:34:43 AM »

~ ~ ~ CHEERY OPENING NIGHT VIBES ~ ~ ~ for DR Jrand63 and company.  That's some Audrey II!
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

ChasSmith

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2014, 07:35:19 AM »

This morning I'm in that kind of good, lighthearted mood that comes from having made a better decision about something -- namely, my weekend plans, even when the original plans involved something I dearly love.

Last year at this time I went up to the small town of Rome, NY, to see the lovingly preserved Capitol Theatre, enjoy their annual "CapitolFest" film festival, and hang around with like minded film aficionados.  (aficionadi?)  (never mind.)  Up till a few days ago I'd been looking forward to returning for this year's event.  But with all the things going on in my li'l life right now, the fact that I'd be so much better off staying around here and making some progress on things that need to have some progress made on them, was weighing on me.  So last night I decided to cancel the going-away plans, the wisdom of which was immediately evident, as though a burden had been lifted.  I'll drive up there later for something a little less demanding of my time.

Kate

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2014, 07:45:27 AM »

Good Morning ALL!

Ginny

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2014, 08:08:54 AM »

Good morning - again.  I read myself back to sleep in my recliner and slept until about 9:30.  I'm really groggy now...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2014, 08:09:03 AM »

thank you DR JOHNG, DR CHAS SMITH, DR ELMORE, and DR SINGDAW.....we shall see what we shall see for our tech heavy show.

The director is the light guy from Guys & Dolls and this show is loaded with special lighting lots of FOG.....etc.

When I saw it Monday night, he asked me to tell him what I thought....so I told him it was a good show, but the complaint I had was the same as I had in G/D.....I can't see all the faces and the colors he uses washes out a lot of the set and costumes......

He said at the meeting on Sunday we need more lights.....well we have more lights than we ever have had.....and when we had real lighting people doing the work, we could see everything.

He lights everything from the back, so most of the light goes into the eyes of the audience....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2014, 08:11:39 AM »

Yes it is some plant....big!  DR SINGDAW we rented them from a puppet place in Vincennes, indiana.....Hastey Pudding.....cost us $1000 for the three sizes of plant puppets, and nobody has really taken the time to teach the guy IN THE PLANTS what to do, maybe he got a crash course in the last couple of days.

I will find out tonight.....I will also find out if the girls are wearing their BeeHive wigs for the finale......I hope so.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2014, 08:12:18 AM »

Good choice DR CHAS SMITH.....I have to get away from the inner web now and work on my lines for THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER.....my first rehearsal is Monday, and I want to be off book.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2014, 08:44:07 AM »

From DR Vixmom:
So BK , just out of curiosity, at what time of the morning  do you believe it is acceptable to begin phoning and making outside noises... (tree trimming , lawn mowing, conversations  etc)  and at what time of night do you believe all such activity should cease?

Sorry Bruce, I chuckled at this question knowing your response will be much later, at least in the morning, than most people find acceptable on a week day.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2014, 08:47:42 AM »

It's very quiet here with the TV out.

Curse you, Time Warner! What have you done?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2014, 08:49:29 AM »

Tonight is opening night for Little Shop of Horrors, so I will be working selling tickets and popcorn and cleaning up.

Have fun and good wishes for the show to be a hit.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2014, 08:52:27 AM »

Does anyone know this lovely remastered CD site?

I just ordered the Ormandy recording of Victor Herbert and Hershy Kay's ballet "Cakewalk."
http://www.pristineclassical.com
In the past, I've ordered the Richard Rodgers conducts Richard Rodgersand the Ormandy recording of the Met's production of Die Fledermaus, which Ormandy conducted in its first season in 1950.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2014, 08:52:46 AM »

DR Vixmom I would not want to live in your neighborhood.  Not that I like noise at 7:30 in the morning, on a weekday, it is the time I consider acceptable.  Keith said 8:00.  I like noise to stop by 9:30 at night.

Gosh I like living in the country.  It will be difficult to adapt when we move.

Jane

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2014, 08:53:09 AM »

DR Jennifer congratulations to Megan. 

Jane

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2014, 09:06:12 AM »

If I did not like the taste of alcoholic beverages I would not have any interest in them.  I only drink what I like passing on everything else.  To me Harvey's Bristol Cream Sherry or a good scotch or bourbon is like a quality piece of chocolate.  Red wines make me sick which is fine as I don't like them at all.  I also enjoy white wine.

My favorite mixed drinks:
A proper Old Fashioned
Mai Tai
Margarita with an extra shot of tequila, no salt, on the rocks

Fortunately I have more control when drinking than I do when eating chocolate.

MBarnum

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2014, 09:30:46 AM »

TOD:

I don't drink often, so my knowledge of liquor is limited. I do not care for beer or wine. If I am going to drink I usually tend towards a simple Scotch/Bourbon on the rocks. I have tried a number of martinis, but find I don't really like them all that much...however, I always had vodka martinis. Recently I had one made with gin and enjoyed it much better.

I have had some colorful, fruity drinks that I liked, but I could not tell you what was in them/. I just know they tasted really, really yummy!

Back in my youth, when I would go out to special interest nightclubs and/or partying with co-workers, a Long Island Ice Tea was my drink of choice...mainly because it got me drunk good and fast! LOL! Now, I don't like even getting tipsy.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2014, 09:31:11 AM »

If I did not like the taste of alcoholic beverages I would not have any interest in them.  I only drink what I like passing on everything else.  To me Harvey's Bristol Cream Sherry or a good scotch or bourbon is like a quality piece of chocolate.  Red wines make me sick which is fine as I don't like them at all.  I also enjoy white wine.

My favorite mixed drinks:
A proper Old Fashioned
Mai Tai
Margarita with an extra shot of tequila, no salt, on the rocks

Fortunately I have more control when drinking than I do when eating chocolate.

Fortunately.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

MBarnum

« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2014, 09:31:40 AM »

DR Jane, I am curious about sherry. Do you drink it plain, or should it be mixed with something?

MBarnum

« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2014, 09:32:11 AM »

DR JRand, I just love that plant!

Jane

« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2014, 09:34:44 AM »

DR Jane, I am curious about sherry. Do you drink it plain, or should it be mixed with something?

Sherry is served plain from the cupboard.  Bristol Cream is a sweet sherry.  Unless it is a mixed drink  it is the very rare (once every 10 years) occasion that I have ice in it.

Ginny

« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2014, 09:41:50 AM »

Here is today's Throwback Thursday photo.  I'm on the right, chatting with James Roosevelt, Eleanor and Franklin's eldest son, and my friends Stefanie and Jenny:

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2014, 09:48:12 AM »

DR Ginny that is a great photo.  Is there an interesting story behind it?

ChasSmith

« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2014, 09:49:06 AM »

Wow, that's one HELL of a photograph, DR Ginny!  What was the occasion?  Or did you say earlier, and I missed it?  That really is great.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2014, 09:59:53 AM »

And the hell continues. I liked the cover art but the Ass Man from Philadelphia did not, and rather than addressing it with me, he complained to New world, and I just saw the new cover that he approved two days ago. It's pretty much the same with different colors, which the Man from Philadelphia loves! I do not, but i'm sick of fighting.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 10:39:48 AM by elmore3003 »

Jane

« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2014, 10:24:40 AM »

DR Ginny, Keith agrees that is a nice photo. 

ChasSmith

« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2014, 10:27:23 AM »

I think it's time we all chipped in and got DR Elmore a new Man from Philadelphia.

Jane

« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2014, 10:30:19 AM »

LOL  If only we could.

Ginny

« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2014, 10:31:52 AM »

Thank you, DRs Jane and ChasSmith!  JR was "in residence" at the local Miami University campus, meeting with history and political science classes.  This photo was taken at the home of the poli sci prof.  The next day, he visited the library where I was director.  That's when he autographed the photo and we chatted about pop culture portrayals of his father, like in ANNIE.

Ginny

« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2014, 10:33:21 AM »

DR Ginny, Keith agrees that is a nice photo. 

Tell him thanks from me!

Jane

« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2014, 10:35:52 AM »

I will and I will tell him the story behind the photo since he was also curious.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2014, 10:48:04 AM »

Lovely photo and story from DR GINNY.

Never pass up the opportunity to have a photo taken with someone well known!!!  Lesson learned.

Thanks DRJANE....I have high BOX OFFICE hopes for this particular show, and it is a fine and talented and hardworking cast and crew!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up