Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SMELLY FILMS  (Read 5323 times)

ChasSmith

Re: SMELLY FILMS
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2014, 07:44:45 AM »

I'm thrilled to hear about the participation on HOLIDAY IN SPAIN taking shape.  I was excited about that from the first mention of it on the HTF many moons ago, and I immediately jumped for the SCENT OF MYSTERY soundtrack.

BK is so fortunate to have been in one of the few audiences for that film and to have grabbed the book and poster and all.  It's just so sad that nothing exists of the original film as first released.  As for the Blu-ray, I love all of Strohmaier's releases.  They're so obviously a product of love for the times and the material -- as are BK's and only a select handful of other people's -- and there is all the more reason to look forward to this one.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2014, 07:46:45 AM »

Greetings from Toyland!

The physical therapy problems are resolved and i have an appointment tomorrow morning. I was going to go up tmorrow to say goodbye to my beloved Morgan, whom I credit for keeping me going and now walking. On Sunday she and her husband relocate to Laredo, and, while i wish them much happiness and success, it tears outr my heart to lose her.

Laredo? Not exactly the safest town on the planet. Safer than Nuevo Laredo, just across the border.

Her husband is an attorney and will be working on immigration issues, I believe.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2014, 07:53:38 AM »

POLYESTER is the first (only?) smelly film I've been to, and yes, a couple of the odors were a bit much, if not perfectly authentic.

I have the Criterion laserdisc with the full size replica of the original scratch and sniff card, and it still works just fine!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2014, 07:57:20 AM »

POLYESTER is the first (only?) smelly film I've been to, and yes, a couple of the odors were a bit much, if not perfectly authentic.

I have the Criterion laserdisc with the full size replica of the original scratch and sniff card, and it still works just fine!

I do love the scene where Divine and Edith sit down to commiserate about men over a slice of cake. The way Divine slices it is to cut the cake in half and go to town.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2014, 08:00:18 AM »

In Walt Disney World there's a "live" Stitch attraction that's very amusing -- with a device in each seat's headrest that works to perfection, both in the odors themselves and the instantaneous clearing of those odors.

ChasSmith

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2014, 08:05:22 AM »

I do love the scene where Divine and Edith sit down to commiserate about men over a slice of cake. The way Divine slices it is to cut the cake in half and go to town.

I have a newfound fondness for Waters' films, and Divine is a joy to watch.  But man, there are moments in those early pre-POLYESTER ones that can be a challenge.  Which, of course, is exactly what he wanted them to be.

I think we can all be grateful that PINK FLAMINGOS pre-dated his implementation of scratch-and-sniff technology.

MBarnum

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2014, 08:06:04 AM »

TOD:

Probably the TV series HOT L BALTIMORE, although at the time I did not know what 'gay' was, so it all went over my head. 3s COMPANY or SOAP might be the first tv shows where I knew what was what.

MBarnum

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2014, 08:10:05 AM »

...back to celebrity deaths...in today's obituaries: Lew Brown passed away.

Name was not recognizeable to me, however looking at his credits on IMDB he seems to have appeared in every television show ever made...and multiple times! His face does seem familiar.

MBarnum

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2014, 08:10:59 AM »

"Millionion"....oy...when will I ever learn to proof-read before I hit post!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2014, 08:11:26 AM »

TOD:

Probably the TV series HOT L BALTIMORE, although at the time I did not know what 'gay' was, so it all went over my head. 3s COMPANY or SOAP might be the first tv shows where I knew what was what.

I cannot imagine there was ever a time that you didn't know what was what.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Kate

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2014, 08:15:12 AM »

Good day all:

TOD:

I Don't remember my first experience being aware of homosexuality, but HOW SAD that in 1952 it was a CRIMINAL OFFENSE.

May God Bless Alan Turing and all the others affected by this law!

Kate

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2014, 08:15:48 AM »

Goodbye for Now!

Have a great Day!

ChasSmith

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2014, 08:18:58 AM »

TOD:

I cannot imagine there was ever a time that you didn't know what was what.

I took it to mean that perhaps DR MBarnum was referring to those first few leisurely weeks in the womb.

MBarnum

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2014, 08:21:27 AM »

Honest. I was a pretty naive child. I didn't even know how babies were made until I was in 6th grade....much to the amusement of just about every other 6th grader in my school.

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2014, 08:39:16 AM »

Morning (albeit just barely), all!

Haven't a clew on the TOD, although I did get quite a laugh at the episode of "Wings" where Roy's son comes out to Fay.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2014, 08:40:21 AM »

Here is a remastered trailer for Holiday In Spain presented in "Smilebox"

http://youtu.be/3OIhwCbBO8M

That was fun!  Thanks, DR Mike!!!
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2014, 08:43:28 AM »

TOD:  I can't remember the earliest, but I know that I saw Merchant & Ivory's Maurice about 8 times in the theater.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2014, 08:44:16 AM »

Root canal is accomplished. It wasn't too unpleasant. Thanks, all, for the vibes!        :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2014, 09:34:15 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  I think I got almost eight hours of sleep.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2014, 09:42:32 AM »

Oy! I just completely screwed up two Act Two scans of JUBILEE, so I'm giving up for the day and heading home, I'll begin Act Two again on Saturday.

ChasSmith

« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2014, 09:43:15 AM »

BK:  I meant to add this above, but I wish you would do more commentaries now and then, in general.  I hardly have to say that you're one of the relative few who knows what it takes to make a good one.  But there, I just said it anyway.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2014, 10:12:38 AM »

Honest. I was a pretty naive child. I didn't even know how babies were made until I was in 6th grade....much to the amusement of just about every other 6th grader in my school.

Once you grasped the facts, what was your initial reaction?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2014, 10:15:55 AM »

TOD:  I think the first film I saw that had homosexuality attached to it was "Lust For Life" when it played on Saturday Night at the Movies (a re-run) during the summer of 1964.  I don't know how or why I missed it when it had its first airing. After my mother asked what I planned to do that evening while she and my father were out dining/dancing, I said I planned on watching that film.  Her reaction was, "That's about a hah-mo-sexual".  I had no idea, nor did I get any such idea, from the film that any homosexuality was alluded to.  But I was fascinated nonetheless.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 12:08:11 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2014, 10:19:19 AM »

I have yet to grasp the facts.

John G.

« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2014, 10:38:50 AM »

Root canal is accomplished. It wasn't too unpleasant. Thanks, all, for the vibes!        :)

Just reading that is painful to my teeth. But I'm glad it went well.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2014, 10:39:15 AM »

I have yet to grasp the facts.

Does that mean you still have to do research?
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2014, 10:42:24 AM »

Thursday afternoon greetings!  Richard and I were up and out early (for us) for him to have X-rays and an EMG to find the cause of the numbness and tingling he's been having in his right hand.  The doctor who performed the EMG suspects carpal tunnel syndrome and we're awaiting confirmation from our family doctor.  Richard's fine and is now in the backyard supervising the removal of yet another tree  :-\
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2014, 11:23:49 AM »

And the neighbors on all sides are giving our tree guys a hard time.  I suppose the one to the east would rather we'd leave the tree there and have it fall over into her backyard and wipe out part of her fence?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2014, 11:25:07 AM »

The old ladies to our south and west just b&$@h about everything.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2014, 11:46:56 AM »

The bus ride home was hell: these new buses are not designed for old coots on walkers, and no one's enforcing the law that the damned things have to fold up on the bus fr aisle access.  So we had two old ladies and one old man blocking the front entrance to the bus with them.

At least two of the walkers folded up, but the old bitch whose walker did not was rude and nasty to everyone trying to help her - snapping at them, calling them fools, just being charming as hell - and I thought, lady, when you traded in your broom for that walker, didn't the agent advise you about the ones that fold up?

So, I'm home. What is it with people you do not know sending FB friend requests and offering no explanation as to why they sent it?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 12:15:49 PM by elmore3003 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up