Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FASHION PLATE  (Read 30794 times)

Danise

Re:THE FASHION PLATE
« Reply #210 on: May 06, 2005, 04:06:50 PM »

Evening all!  Before I really say anything, I have to show you the LOVELY flowers that arrived just a short time ago from DR Jane and Hubby Keith!

Are they not wonderful?

And how did you know that blue is my favorite color?  

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Thank you, Thank you, THANK YOU, Jane and Keith!!!!!!![/move]
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #211 on: May 06, 2005, 04:07:27 PM »

Opps, I was so excited, I forgot the picture!  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #212 on: May 06, 2005, 04:08:03 PM »

Another view.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #213 on: May 06, 2005, 04:09:44 PM »

And here is a picture that was taken today of my boss, the lady who is my counter part (i.e. fellow Sr. Personnel Asst.) and myself.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #214 on: May 06, 2005, 04:15:08 PM »

I had a wonderful day at work today.  I received several cards and a balloon and couple of gifts as well.   Then they took me to lunch!  

Wow!  I made out like a bandit!  :) :D :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #215 on: May 06, 2005, 04:18:09 PM »

Let me go back and read notes and posts now.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #216 on: May 06, 2005, 04:20:45 PM »

Did I miss your birthday, DRDANISE?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #217 on: May 06, 2005, 04:21:13 PM »

The new book that is NOT the book of short stories, but is NOT a mystery, that's the book coming out in September, right?

Danise

« Reply #218 on: May 06, 2005, 04:23:12 PM »

No, DR Jrand, it's tomorrow.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #219 on: May 06, 2005, 04:34:34 PM »

Ah -  okay....whew!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #220 on: May 06, 2005, 04:40:12 PM »

The new book that is NOT the book of short stories, but is NOT a mystery, that's the book coming out in September, right?

In the booth...

...in the corner....

....in the back...

.....in the dark!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Danise

« Reply #221 on: May 06, 2005, 04:47:45 PM »

I agree with you, BK about the POTO movie.  I am a Michael Crawford fan and had vowed not to see the movie when it came out but time mellows some ideas.  I decided to go see it and to give it a chance.

I was delighted with the opening.  I loved the way they brought the old theater back to life.  From that point on, the whole thing went down the tubes.  

And the Phantoms voice.  UGH!   Horrible.  Just horrible.  It had nothing to do with liking Mr C.  It was just plain bad.  

Ahh well.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

François de Paris

« Reply #222 on: May 06, 2005, 04:52:58 PM »

Jackie Wayne (Salvatore) who was in the Broadway Cast of DAMN YANKEES as a replacement for the original kid says:

My parents took me to the circus when I was about 6 or 7, and I was really excited about the acrobats. I started tumbling around our tiny Brooklyn apartment, and my parents figured (before I fell down a flight of stairs) that I should take some lessons. I did...and the same school also taught tap, which I became interested in.

I advanced quickly, and started taking song-and-dance lessons from an old vaudevillian, in New York City. A casting call went out for a replacement for one of the boys in the original cast of "Damn Yankees", who had outgrown the part. I auditioned and got it, and stayed with the show for 2 years until closing, singing "You Gotta Have Heart" every night.

Some memories are vivid today. My best friends in the cast were Ray Walston, Jean Stapleton, and the stagehands.  At intermission on matinee days, the stagehands would take me out in the alley behind the theater, and we'd play baseball...or just toss an old "spawl-deen" around. Most of the other shows on Broadway went to intermission around the same time...so one of the stagehands---Bill Brannigan was his name, sweet old guy---would take me with him through the back entrances to theaters, and we'd stop in and see the farm animals at "Li'l Abner"...or the strippers at "Gypsy"...or the gunslinging cowboys at "Destry Rides Again". It was pretty cool for a young kid.

As for Ray Walston...he was a big kid, himself. Also a bit of a hypochondriac. I remember he always carried a small rubber ball with him offstage...and he was constantly squeezing it, to relieve stress. It was an obsession. One performance, I was sitting in his dressing room as he went on for a scene. I mischievously decided to swipe the little ball and hide it. Well, when he got off between scenes, he was so frantic at not being able to find his "security blanket" that I thought he was gonna burst. I gave it back to him pretty quickly, because it looked like he was about to miss his next entrance. He was not amused. But he got over it quickly, and good-naturedly vowed to take revenge. (I don't think he ever did...)

Lovely stories from your childhood, DRJrand! Very moving!
I wish I had been that kid, except for the baseball part! I'm too French to undrstand anything about it!

To "relax", James Garner is also known for feeling beads with his fingers! (I'm not saying that properly, but I know you'll understand! ;))

François de Paris

« Reply #223 on: May 06, 2005, 04:57:04 PM »

POTO, the film....

Did they have to show the ingénue's cleavage -- nice as it is! -- all throught the movie, even when she's in that freezing cemetery?
She could have lost her voice and catched a cold you know!!  Lol!

And all those French (British!!) stagehands boozing all the time, and directly from the bottle!!!!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 05:01:46 PM by François de Paris »

Ben

« Reply #224 on: May 06, 2005, 05:45:42 PM »

There are no production photos of Anthony's show so I will post a couple of rehearsal photos.

This is Anthony in one of his many costumes

Ben

« Reply #225 on: May 06, 2005, 05:47:00 PM »

Here is a group shot taken during rehearsal.

Ben

« Reply #226 on: May 06, 2005, 05:50:17 PM »

And for those of you who like female pulchritude (that could be a word of the day) here is something to tickle your fancy

Ben

« Reply #227 on: May 06, 2005, 05:51:29 PM »

That's enough with the pictures. I will post one last image which sums up the show.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #228 on: May 06, 2005, 05:59:52 PM »

We would never miss Danise's birthday.

I am all dressed in my spiffy new duds and I must say I am quite the fashion plate.  Perhaps I'll have someone take a photograph on my phone whilst at the theater.  Perhaps I just will.

It's the new book, the one I finished back in early March.  We're not giving it the designation "a mystery" but it sort of has those elements, since there are deaths.  

I don't know that there will ever be a book of short stories - depends on how many I get done (three so far) and if I like them enough.  We shall see.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #229 on: May 06, 2005, 06:01:44 PM »

Very shortly I shall be on my way to the Dena of Pas to see the opening night performance of Mr. Noel Coward's Private Lives, with an unknown cast, directed by a director I've never heard of.  I'm hoping for at least competency, but one never knows, does one?  I wonder if two knows?  One NEVER knows, but two does occasionally have a moment or two of lucidity.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #230 on: May 06, 2005, 06:18:41 PM »

I shall now be on my way.  Keep the home fries burning until my returning, you dear, dear people out there in the dark.  I'll need lots of lovely reading matter upon my arrival back in the home environment.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #231 on: May 06, 2005, 06:49:02 PM »

Just one more final and one more paper, then I've planned a three-day coma, and then I'll be back among the living. There's a light at the end of whatever this is.

That said, does anybody know why some people were immune to the plague??
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #232 on: May 06, 2005, 07:23:37 PM »

It has been a long afternoon.  I shall do my best to catch up with today’s posts.

Vixmom I love Cape Cod homes.  We had one when we lived in Massachusetts.  

I always loved going to parties, not the best thing when married to someone who doesn’t like them. ;D  Often we were the first to leave.  I have changed over the last few years and don’t enjoy them all that much anymore.  Maybe it has just been a long time since I have been to a good party.

Ginny

« Reply #233 on: May 06, 2005, 07:31:46 PM »

I'm hoping that someone who liked the Phantom film will offer a different perspective than mine.  

Not me, bk, I pretty much agreed with your review.  I sat in the theatre (on New Year's Eve) thinking "What a lot of missed opportunities!"  Haven't seen the DVD yet, but I will be sure to get the set with the added features.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #234 on: May 06, 2005, 07:41:56 PM »

MALEVOLENT, baby, MALEVOLENT.  The first time I ever saw that word I thought it was pronounced male-volent.  Who knew?
Which, of course, raises the question: Why is MALEVOLENT a word, while FEMALEVOLENT is not?

Sounds like reverse chauvanism to me!   :P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

« Reply #235 on: May 06, 2005, 07:49:36 PM »

CP drinking wine and handing out candy to cute little kids sounds like a great time to me.  

Keith may not be keen on parties but he would enjoy a regular poker game.  He was invited to join one when we lived in Pennsylvania but they had strange rules and began each meeting with a donation to their annual deer hunt.  Keith never returned. ;D

Jane

« Reply #236 on: May 06, 2005, 07:52:23 PM »

JRand thanks for the story on Tammy.  I’m sure if I were in the movie I would have been willing to be scared like that.  One difference-there is no way my father would have permitted.  My mother on the other hand might have, if I said I wanted to do it.   ;D

Do you know what Tammy is doing today?

Ginny

« Reply #237 on: May 06, 2005, 07:54:47 PM »

Late checking in today, because I had to drive to Columbus, OH, early this morning for the 2-day state convention of Ohio AAUW (American Association of University Women).  So, I'm posting from the business center in my hotel after a long afternoon and evening of meetings.  More of the same tomorrow - I probably won't get a chance to post until I'm home in the evening.

Friday media check:

CD (car) - various BK-produced recordings with elmore's orchestrations:  Lost in Boston, Broadway Bound, Peter Pan, and Brett Barrett sings Kander & Ebb.

DVD - Mel Brooks' The Producers.

VCR - A Damsel in Distress and Honolulu, both recommended on this here site last week.

The visual media will be waiting for me when I return from Columbus, as will DH Richard (who, I think, misses me when I'm away).
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #238 on: May 06, 2005, 07:55:01 PM »

Danise, thanks for posting the lovely pictures of the flowers.  Have a very happy day.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #239 on: May 06, 2005, 08:09:46 PM »

A couple of weeks ago, I laid out the laserdisc of HIT THE DECK to watch, but I never got around to it, and I stuck it back on the shelf when boxes of DVDs started arriving that cried out to be watched.

Anyway, today I put on HIT THE DECK and watched the whole thing. Like THE OPPOSITE SEX, the EastmanColor has faded horribly, and both of these films will need some salvage work if they're ever to be released in decent shape on DVD. They are both barely watchable on laserdisc.

At the Warner chat a few weeks ago, they said there were no plans for THE OPPOSITE SEX, but no one asked about HIT THE DECK. Still, I suspect it's not an MGM musical that many folks are crying out to have. If I recall from THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT, the clips from it on those DVDs have been cleaned up and look pretty wonderful, so the whole film COULD be done if only Warners cared to.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up