Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: TRY TO REMEMBER  (Read 28572 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:TRY TO REMEMBER
« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2006, 08:50:41 AM »

There are also reports that the Kurt Weill Estate is not happy with the production and the new translation, and, thus, they are not allowing it to be recorded.

Can't say I blame them.  I wonder if they are also holding up a CD release of the '76 production with Raul Julia.

And, yes, DR Jose, you do cut quite a figure in your tux.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2006, 08:55:28 AM »

Page Four "I Miss Hugh" Dance:

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2006, 09:02:29 AM »

Whew!  Finally caught up.  I guess I was the only one that didn't know Hal Prince always wore his glasses on his head, but I stand by my earlier opinion it looked darn silly...IMHO

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2006, 09:05:09 AM »

Dear Reader Jose - You look quite comfortable in that tux, as if you were born to it.

It seemed to me that The Drowsy Chaperone number was compressed to fit the small screen and the masked Radio City Music Hall stage (at least I think it was performed in RCMH). Which bodes the question...

Question for Jose: Were the musical numbers pre-filmed or were they performed live on the Radio City Music Hall stage?

I loved the way Bill Irwin took care of Patricia Neal.

After her movie days, Janis Paige has done some interesting television work over the years. In the '50s, she had her own TV series (she sang the heck out of Come Rain or Come Shine in one show). In an episode of Happy Days she played Fonzie's long lost waitress mother. She also played Linda Purl's mother (who gets killed at the start of the film) in a very interesting TV movie called Natural Causes. I think she was hilarious in the movie Silk Stockings. According to IMDb, she was born in 1922, which makes her 84!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #94 on: June 12, 2006, 09:08:22 AM »

And now, back to the Tonys...

I was sort of surprised there was not some kind of "reaction" to Julia Roberts' comment, "You guys are insanely talented..."  -That was definitely a place where some uncomfortable laughter could have come into play.

Me-OW!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #95 on: June 12, 2006, 09:08:56 AM »

Reaction to ANYTHING Julia Roberts says (or memorizes) is best left to Entertainment Hollywood Access Extra People Report.  :P

ME-OW-W-W!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #96 on: June 12, 2006, 09:14:39 AM »

For someone who has seen JERSEY BOYS - I'm assuming it has a good book. Is that true?   I'm not a big fan of jukebox musicals and wasn't planning to try to see it, but if the songs fit into the story of the Four Seasons and it's got a good book, I may just have to give it a chance

With the lead and featured actor both winning Tonys -- and being wildly popular winners based on audience reaction -- they must be phenomenal in the show.

Was it just me...or did anyone feel there was a lot of mysterious emotional baggage in both accepance speeches?  But even in not knowing what they were talking about, the emotions they conveyed moved me, nonetheless.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #97 on: June 12, 2006, 09:16:21 AM »

Whew!  Finally caught up.  I guess I was the only one that didn't know Hal Prince always wore his glasses on his head, but I stand by my earlier opinion it looked darn silly...IMHO

There are number of men whose heads are shaped like his, and who have male pattern baldness, who maintain this affectation.

To me, it's just another form of "comb-over".
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 09:21:57 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #98 on: June 12, 2006, 09:17:50 AM »

Is it just me, or...

...does it seem a tad pitiful to trot out stars as if to say "Look who's still alive!" at these ceremonies?

I have been dismayed in the past by final appearances...like the last time Bette Davis was at the Oscars (and seemed to have been unable to remember from moment to moment why she was there)...or when Deborah Kerr (whom I believe is still among the living) walked out to receive a Lifetime Achievement Oscar (about 20 years late, IMO) and seemed to have just walked onstage from a nursing home...

I LOVE these performers...so please don't wrongly interpret my comments.  I just don't think it serves them or our perceptions of them very well to trot them out like curiousity pieces.

I'd rather have seen Patricia Neal sitting in the audience and acknowledging recognition than to have seen her so frail in a presentation.

But...again...maybe it's just me.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 09:23:28 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2006, 09:24:16 AM »

Gracious...I do seem to have scared off the posters.  Or is it that it's lunchtime on the east coast?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: June 12, 2006, 09:34:16 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Good night's sleep (I awoke at nine), and I'm getting my bearings.  I don't know where they've got to, but when I find them then I shall have my bearings once again.

Jose looks dashing in his tux.  My Tony attire was shorts and a t-shirt.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #101 on: June 12, 2006, 09:41:35 AM »

Dear Reader Jose - You look quite comfortable in that tux, as if you were born to it.

It seemed to me that The Drowsy Chaperone number was compressed to fit the small screen and the masked Radio City Music Hall stage (at least I think it was performed in RCMH). Which bodes the question...

Question for Jose: Were the musical numbers pre-filmed or were they performed live on the Radio City Music Hall stage?

Aww, Thanks.

All the musical numbers were performed live.  *The Spamalot skit was the only major segment that was pre-taped.

I don't believe Drowsy was compressed.  I think it was just dwarfed by the cavern known as Radio City Music Hall.  It was interesting that The Pajama Game and The Color Purple only used partial sets and projections for the backgrounds.  Well, even the Sweeney Todd set was stripped down to just the planks.

As another DR mentioned, the numbers are restaged for Radio City Music and for the TV cameras.  Sweeney Todd was "expanded", and they even had Alex Gemignani facing downstage as he played the piano/keyboard - at the O'Neill he faces upstage and keeps an eye on things via a mirror in the set.  And it looked like The Color Purple went ahead and let their understudies be a part of the number.
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #102 on: June 12, 2006, 09:44:08 AM »

Is it just me, or...

...does it seem a tad pitiful to trot out stars as if to say "Look who's still alive!" at these ceremonies?

I have been dismayed in the past by final appearances...like the last time Bette Davis was at the Oscars (and seemed to have been unable to remember from moment to moment why she was there)...or when Deborah Kerr (whom I believe is still among the living) walked out to receive a Lifetime Achievement Oscar (about 20 years late, IMO) and seemed to have just walked onstage from a nursing home...

I LOVE these performers...so please don't wrongly interpret my comments.  I just don't think it serves them or our perceptions of them very well to trot them out like curiousity pieces.

I'd rather have seen Patricia Neal sitting in the audience and acknowledging recognition than to have seen her so frail in a presentation.

Ms Neal might have been a bit physically frail, but she seemed fine to me otherwise (I loved her pronunciation of Phylicia Rashad's name.  And of all the times for an audience not to get up on their feet!  Sheesh!)

And if that Bette Davis doc on TCM can be completely believed, Bette Davis was as sharp as a tack to the very end.

-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #103 on: June 12, 2006, 09:46:32 AM »

I thought it interesting that THE COLOR PURPLE was almost a shut out.  But now it can be touted everywhere as 'The Tony Award Winning Show".
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #104 on: June 12, 2006, 09:50:04 AM »

I thought it interesting that THE COLOR PURPLE was almost a shut out.  But now it can be touted everywhere as 'The Tony Award Winning Show".

Even if the The Color Purple had won more Tony's, its biggest asset would still be Oprah Winfrey.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 09:57:08 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #105 on: June 12, 2006, 09:56:37 AM »

...And I'm wondering just how much longer Sweeney Todd will be running.  Yes, it won Best Orchestrations and Best Direction of Musical, but I'm not sure that those are enough to keep it running as long as one would like.  -Especially since their numbers were already dipping - and with Patti LuPone's upcoming vacation and leave of absence... Then again, it's already re-couped it's investment, so...

I think the show to "watch" will be The Wedding Singer.  It was a smart move to perform that number on The Tony's - fun, funny and nostalgic (in an 1980's way).  Just the right hook to attract the casual theatre-goer.
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #106 on: June 12, 2006, 09:59:44 AM »

I think the show to "watch" will be The Wedding Singer.  It was a smart move to perform that number on The Tony's - fun, funny and nostalgic (in an 1980's way).  Just the right hook to attract the casual theatre-goer.

I dunno. I was bored with it.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #107 on: June 12, 2006, 10:00:33 AM »

...And the number of Jersey Boys fans who were waiting outside Radio City and congratulating both Christian Hoff and John Lloyd Young was quite astounding.  And, in a way, endearing - I'm not sure that's the correct word.  But it was nice seeing the genuine admiration some of the guys from the "neighborhood" had for the cast of the show.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: June 12, 2006, 10:02:04 AM »

I, too, didn't care for The Wedding Singer number - it was okay, but after reading comments about it when the show opened, I was expecting much more.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #109 on: June 12, 2006, 10:25:42 AM »

I didn't care THE WEDDING SINGER number either.  The conceit of that number was that this character's band is so popular at weddings because of the song he wrote, which is essentially about how his band's music really makes a wedding.  What kind of logic is that?

Now if they had utilized actual 80s music (like the film), they might have had something.  That opening sequence could have used Billy Idol's "White Wedding" and then intertwined "It's Your Wedding Day" within.  That would have almost worked for me, except I don't think that "Wedding Day" was interesting to begin with.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #110 on: June 12, 2006, 10:26:55 AM »

And where is the Duran Duran musical?
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #111 on: June 12, 2006, 10:26:58 AM »

And if that Bette Davis doc on TCM can be completely believed, Bette Davis was as sharp as a tack to the very end.

It may well be....but on that Oscarcast, she seemd in a fog.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: June 12, 2006, 10:28:18 AM »

Okay, DR ELMORE....I didn't say I didn't like him....just thought his speech was put down....as explained by DR DtM....but of course you are correct...Toronto has seen more than its share of US Damaged Goods.

DRJRand55, I know you didn't say that and I'm not calling you on that!  I just meant that for me, his comment was funny and quirky.  In essence he said "I'm grateful to Broadway because there are at least 60 years of musicals I can write parodies of."  I didn't find it offensive but rather true.  However, I doubt beyond THE BOYFRIEND and LITTLE MARY SUNSHINE, and possibly DAMES AT SEA which owes more to 30s movies than Broadway, he's seen any other spoofs.  Most of them flop.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #113 on: June 12, 2006, 10:30:27 AM »

It may well be....but on that Oscarcast, she seemd in a fog.

It was probably the smoke from her cigarette.

And where is the one-woman play about Bette Davis?

Oh, wait a minute--there was one, years back.  Wasn't there?
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #114 on: June 12, 2006, 10:32:13 AM »

I didn't care THE WEDDING SINGER number either.  The conceit of that number was that this character's band is so popular at weddings because of the song he wrote, which is essentially about how his band's music really makes a wedding.  What kind of logic is that?

Now if they had utilized actual 80s music (like the film), they might have had something.  That opening sequence could have used Billy Idol's "White Wedding" and then intertwined "It's Your Wedding Day" within.  That would have almost worked for me, except I don't think that "Wedding Day" was interesting to begin with.

I liked it.  The conceit was expositional, IMO...and no less logical than songs in many Broadway musicals of years gone by.

How much sense is there in seeing a scene inside the Sleeptite Pajama factory where all the workers are singing, "The Pajama Game is the game I'm in..."  Etc.

Everyone there knows what kind of game they're in...they're letting the audience know...and that's exactly what "The Wedding Singer" number was doing.

Not one whit different in concept/execution, to my way of thinking.  And it was original, rather than "juke box"...even better.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 10:35:45 AM by Ron Pulliam »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: June 12, 2006, 10:33:23 AM »

And another reminder about the season premiere of THE CLOSER tonight on TNT. 9 p.m. EDT.

Looks like my friend Kevin Kilner is guest starring.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 10:33:38 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #116 on: June 12, 2006, 10:34:47 AM »

DRJRand55, I know you didn't say that and I'm not calling you on that!  I just meant that for me, his comment was funny and quirky.  In essence he said "I'm grateful to Broadway because there are at least 60 years of musicals I can write parodies of."  I didn't find it offensive but rather true.  However, I doubt beyond THE BOYFRIEND and LITTLE MARY SUNSHINE, and possibly DAMES AT SEA which owes more to 30s movies than Broadway, he's seen any other spoofs.  Most of them flop.

I remember thinking it would have been a nice touch if he had appended "...and celebrate".  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: June 12, 2006, 10:35:21 AM »

Is/was THREEPENNY OPERA recorded?  I'm not a fan of this production, but I would like to hear a clean recording of Cyndi Lauper's numbers.

I don't think the Kurt Weill Foundation will let this turkey get recorded.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: June 12, 2006, 10:41:05 AM »

Is it just me, or...

DR RonPulliam, don't let her fool you!  Miss Neal is quite active socially in Manhattan; I've seen her at various functions from parties to funerals, she does the Theatre Guild cruises to Alaska, etc. regularly, and she has all her mental faculties.  I don't think she's as frail as you think, but I think she'd love knowing your concerns about her.  She's very kind with a good sense of humor.  She and Julie Wilson remind me a lot of each other.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: June 12, 2006, 10:43:14 AM »

The broadcast made TITANIC look a lot better than it was, and I believe that, along with the film, helped sell tickets.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up