Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: TRY TO REMEMBER  (Read 28581 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:TRY TO REMEMBER
« Reply #180 on: June 12, 2006, 01:25:32 PM »

TOD:

There's a barbecue buffet a few miles out of Charlotte called Fat Boy's. And after you leave the place, that's exactly how you feel. They have on their buffet almost every kind of barbecue you can imagine from beef and pork ribs to chicken to minced and pulled pork, and they have various homemade barbecue sauces you can add to their basic barbecue to make it more to your style or taste. An amazing place.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #181 on: June 12, 2006, 01:26:17 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Page Seven Dance!!![/move]

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #182 on: June 12, 2006, 01:27:19 PM »

I think it's her lips.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #183 on: June 12, 2006, 01:27:44 PM »

I bet June was watching, DRMBARNUM....if she hasn't yet shuffled off this mortal coil.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #184 on: June 12, 2006, 01:29:01 PM »

I like cheeseburgers from the grill....but Bar Bee Cue leaves me cold.

Off the do makeup for some Sweet Adelines....how can there be any sin in sincere?

And then a rehearsal of Death by Chocolate outside while SEUSSICAL holds its second session of auditions.....

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #185 on: June 12, 2006, 01:29:05 PM »

Ditto.  I remember when the critics were all jumping all over themselves over her performance in STEEL MAGNOLIAS.  When I saw the movie, I just didn't see what all the hubbub was about.  Likewise, PRETTY WOMAN or ERIN BIRKINSTOCK (or whatever it's called.)

There's no there there for me.

It's called star quality and screen charisma.

And it's "there" for millions of folks...so she'll have to endure not pleasing everyone.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #186 on: June 12, 2006, 01:30:22 PM »

I spent part of the afternoon fiddling with the recording of the Tonys. My first go-round with eliminating the commercials came in at 2 hours, 7 minutes, a bit too long to squeeze the show onto one DVD-R. Ordinarily, I would cut the PSA about the good that the American Theater Wing does (the segment the late Isabelle Stevenson used to do every year), but this year with the funny SPAMALOT fellows there, I wanted to save that. And I wanted to save the DREAMGIRLS TV commercial, so that meant some of the lengthier and less interesting speeches had to go. But I did finally get it boiled down to an hour and 56 minutes.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #187 on: June 12, 2006, 01:31:44 PM »

I don't dislike her, but I don't get the frenzy about her

Ditto. I find her work enjoyable for the most part, but she does not thrill me.

Matt H.

« Reply #188 on: June 12, 2006, 01:32:37 PM »

After I finished that chore, I watched BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID, at least the first 90 minutes of it. It does look far, far superior to the laserdisc special edition I've had all these years. Glad to have as good a copy of this movie as is possible now.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #189 on: June 12, 2006, 01:33:35 PM »

Ditto. I find her work enjoyable for the most part, but she does not thrill me.

She's a woman...she's not supposed to thrill YOU!

;D

I find her rather "lite" on acting ability, but I think she's charming and she has done some films in which her performance has touched me or moved me.  She's ingratiating to watch and I really admire her for attempting to grow.

I'd love to see her act a part that made me forget she was Julia Roberts playing a role.  I thought she was very promising in earlier films like "Mystic, Pizza" and "Steel Magnolias" -- very believable in the parts with a strong screen presence.

I've not like many of her screen choices...but I have enjoyed some things like "Sleeping With the Enemy" and "The Pelican Brief".
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 01:42:50 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #190 on: June 12, 2006, 01:33:58 PM »

But she certainly does try.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #191 on: June 12, 2006, 01:34:19 PM »

Tonight, before THE CLOSER's season premiere happens, I'll watch last night's DEADWOOD and, if there's time, last night's ENTOURAGE, both season premieres.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #192 on: June 12, 2006, 01:34:32 PM »

Of course she did.

She walked out on stage and with charm and grace did her job as a presenter.  She was well-spoken and offered sincere praise to the Broadway community.

She did it knowing full-well there would be countless comments about her appearance, her dress, what she said and how she said it. She did it despite all the cattiness that ensues in "theater-related circles" when a Hollywood performer goes to Broadway...and despite all the negative reviews she got for trying to do a role and attempting to improve her craft.

She did it despite all the people who don't like anything she's ever done and will never like anything she'll ever do...few though they may be.

It took guts and she pulled it off extremely well!

Yep!  I agree. The backstage gossip is that she's lovely, gracious to her fans (which is more than Ashley Judd was) and I wish her the best.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #193 on: June 12, 2006, 01:38:53 PM »

I spent part of the afternoon fiddling with the recording of the Tonys. My first go-round with eliminating the commercials came in at 2 hours, 7 minutes, a bit too long to squeeze the show onto one DVD-R. Ordinarily, I would cut the PSA about the good that the American Theater Wing does (the segment the late Isabelle Stevenson used to do every year), but this year with the funny SPAMALOT fellows there, I wanted to save that. And I wanted to save the DREAMGIRLS TV commercial, so that meant some of the lengthier and less interesting speeches had to go. But I did finally get it boiled down to an hour and 56 minutes.

Wow!  That's a good job, DR Matt!  I was simply going to let my DVD recorder put it on two discs (I recorded it at High Quality on Tivo.)

Maybe I'll try copying it to my PC via Tivo's uploading utility.  I usually don't use this application because it is incredibly slow--up to an hour or more to copy just one half hour show.  But I'll give it a go when I get home tonight.  If I can get it to my PC i'll be able to whittle it down like you have.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #194 on: June 12, 2006, 01:39:34 PM »

And home I go!
-- Anaïs Nin

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #195 on: June 12, 2006, 01:43:54 PM »

She's a woman...she's not supposed to thrill YOU!

;D

What do you mean, Angelina Jolie sure does!  :o

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #196 on: June 12, 2006, 01:44:07 PM »

I must say I'm not in the Julia fan camp, but she seems like a nice person.

I've had the hush puppies at Virgil's, but not the meat salad - I've only had the barbecue beef sandwich.  

I've polished off the rest of the tuna pasta salad, as I have to work this evening doing the titles for Kevin's DVD.  I'm hoping it won't take too too long, but we have to settle on the font, colors, and all that takes time.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #197 on: June 12, 2006, 01:45:11 PM »

I am really excited for tonight's season premiere of The Closer.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #198 on: June 12, 2006, 01:45:24 PM »

What I wonder, DR MAtH, is how many times will you watch that DVD-R?

I was going to tape it, and then I asked myself why, because I've got several years worth of shows and have never wanted to watch any of them again.

The shows I "wish" I had I never recorded.  Since I've been taping them, there's been very little I've wanted to see again...although, I suppose in time I'll end up buying "The Best of Broadway - Volumes 4-10" to get those performances again.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 01:46:43 PM by Ron Pulliam »

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #199 on: June 12, 2006, 01:47:17 PM »

It has been quite a busy afternoon on the hotline.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #200 on: June 12, 2006, 01:48:07 PM »

What do you mean, Angelina Jolie sure does!  :o

Really?

I find Angelina extremely RESISTible.

She's right up there with Sharon Stone in the "I don't get it" department.

But...different strokes....

MBarnum

« Reply #201 on: June 12, 2006, 01:55:16 PM »

LOL JRand55!!!!!!!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #202 on: June 12, 2006, 01:57:01 PM »

Why do Broadway people not like Hollywood people to act on Broadway?

I wonder how Broadway felt when Ms. Anne Kimbell, star of MONSTER FROM THE OCEAN FLOOR and GIRLS AT SEA played roles on Broadway?

« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 01:57:21 PM by MBarnum »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #203 on: June 12, 2006, 01:57:44 PM »

It has been quite a busy afternoon on the hotline.

I hope not too depressing!

MBarnum

« Reply #204 on: June 12, 2006, 01:58:50 PM »

I am trying to remember if I have ever  seen Julia Roberts in a movie!!

She does certainly have a charm about her and it is nice to know that she is a nice person....that right t here makes me at least a bit of a fan of hers.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #205 on: June 12, 2006, 02:06:40 PM »

I hope not too depressing!

Not at all, for the most part we actually prefer the calls to be genuine folks in need of our help or information.  It's so much more gratifying than talking to the same sexualized caller I've been chatting with for 4 years!!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #206 on: June 12, 2006, 02:10:33 PM »

Why do Broadway people not like Hollywood people to act on Broadway?

I wonder how Broadway felt when Ms. Anne Kimbell, star of MONSTER FROM THE OCEAN FLOOR and GIRLS AT SEA played roles on Broadway?

I think there's a long history of "animosity" (probably not the best word, but the only one that suits what I'm thinking about at the moment) since Hollywood began making movies and, at first, culled its talent from Broadway.

I'm sure, at first, it seemed exciting that a new industry was making countless new jobs available.  My guess is that the  film industry was not as forgiving as the stage in terms of how an actor "looked" and there were probably issues about using the face and body in ways different from stage acting (at that time).

At any rate, movies were not plays...and, thus, not the "thee-a-tuh".  A bit of snobbishness was bound to set in...movie actors weren't REALLY acting in the eyes of theatrically trained folk.

Of course, some theater folks did beautifully and worked successfully in both media....but others didn't translate as well.  Those who did work in film were bemused about film actors not knowing all their lines before starting to film...and even more bemused when they didn't always get all their lines up front.  And movies weren't shot chronologically...so acting for film was necessarily different than it was in the theater.

Generally, actors who started on Broadway (or in theater, internationally) weren't much criticized when they went out West to make a film.

Actors who'd never worked in theater were generally viewed negatively when they attempted stage work.  Of course, those who persevered and didn't call attention to themselves and "won over" their fellow thespians with hard work and determination got respect, eventually.

Still...the movie celebrities going to Broadway (and taking starring roles in shows) haven't always been welcome with open arms because they havent actually "paid their dues" the way many stage actors have.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #207 on: June 12, 2006, 02:12:16 PM »

And it truly was a star-filled evening...

In my section alone - which happened to be a very good seat when all was said and done - I was seated in the midst of the casts of The Lieutenant of Inishmore, Jersey Boys, The Color Purple...

Were you sitting anywhere near David Wilmot from INISHMORE?  What a hottie.  And he appeared to be sitting with another man!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

FJL

« Reply #208 on: June 12, 2006, 02:15:38 PM »

The hush puppies at Virgil's rule!

I've only invested in theater productions four times, all of them over 10 years ago, and one of them was the off-Broadway production of DAS BARBECU, the material of which I had really found to be very promising.  Three of them were money-losers, but luckily, the fourth (SMOKEY JOE'S CAFE) put my net theater investing record well into the plus column, and it was loads of fun to be a tiny investor in a mild hit.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #209 on: June 12, 2006, 02:16:56 PM »

I don't think there's any animosity towards Hollywood folks doing B'way as long as they deliver the goods, i.e. Tyne Daly in Gypsy, Craig Bierko in The Music Man, etc.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up