Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: HORMONES RUN AMOK  (Read 18671 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:HORMONES RUN AMOK
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2005, 12:44:17 PM »

I thought I'd send a few photos of the GREENWILLOW production I did at Utah Festival Opera, which was a wonderful place to work for.  I had a great time there in 1997.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2005, 12:47:43 PM »

That first shot was the dueling ministers.  This is where the minister who always preaches hellfire comes to Gideon's farm and give his mother hell for her ability to create a child every time her husband stops wandering and comes home for a visit.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2005, 12:48:30 PM »

This was part of the opening "A Day Borrowed from Heaven."

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2005, 01:27:00 PM »

YAY - the bride and groom recognized the Christopher O'Reily "reinvisioned" Radiohead music I played at the wedding today.  That's really exciting seeing as though I didn't think it sounded "Right" at all, but they even quoted titles!!!  

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2005, 01:54:49 PM »

"Yes" from 70 GIRLS 70 is also incuded in AND THE WORLD GOES 'ROUND.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2005, 01:55:51 PM »

Getting dark outside, so I'm expecting a big thunderstorm at some point in the near future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2005, 02:18:25 PM »

I'm back from Teddy, and am very dismayed to find I'm the only one in the jernt.  We've had about eight posts since I left this morning.  Well, I'm going to go in the other room and eat some worms.  Maybe someone will come back and we can get some partyin' goin' on.  

Matt H.

« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2005, 02:29:06 PM »

I had a chance to watch MIN AND BILL late this morning. I was right; I had never seen the whole thing. Marie Dressler was beloved in her time, and she could certainly mix the pathos with knockabout comedy effortlessly, but the writing and acting and camerwork are fairly primitive compared with acting and production just a few years later.

It's a famous film, but I'm not sure it has stood the test of time so well. I'd rather see Dressler in DINNER AT EIGHT or EMMA.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2005, 02:47:26 PM »

I have found an answer to the trivia question that meets all the criteria but one:  BK, are you sure the leading light actually won an Oscar?  Maybe s/he was only nominated?  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2005, 03:02:15 PM »

Wow - it's slower than molassis in January here.

Tomovoz

« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2005, 03:09:25 PM »

Brighten up everyone. I'm out of bed and need cheering up on a grey (gray!) Sunday morning.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2005, 03:25:38 PM »

One of the theater's leading lights, and the star of the play, did indeed win an Academy Award.  Thus far, we've only had one guess entered for the trivia question and it was correct.

Tomovoz

« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2005, 03:29:50 PM »

Lots of work to do:
François is in Angouleme
DRs Jane has visitors
DRs Jed and Ann have eloped to Reno
Michael Barnum is hunting Bears in WA
TCB is unwell
DR Rodzinski is still in California

That's a lot of posts to replace!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2005, 03:33:10 PM »

70 Girls 70 is one of my favorite K&E scores, too.  Rodzinski, it's based on the old film "Make Mine Mink," though the musical has a "play within a play" format.  And actually, the first pressing of the LP at least had a little insert that gave a precis and also had cast info.  A CD was released years ago, you can probably find it on eBay or used record stores.
So I didn't really need to post anything about 70 Girls 70 earlier JMK :)
BTW your Bacharach/Davis mail is delayed - I'm "cleaning" up the track.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2005, 03:40:00 PM »

There was a revival of 70 Girls 70 in London (more PC and a couple of new songs) and the CD was recorded. TER 1971.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2005, 03:41:04 PM »

Once again RLP has returned - hopefully to tell us about his Cruise experience.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2005, 04:04:58 PM »

I guess I have to try for 10 posts for each of the next eight hours.. HELP.
Of course it's not a holiday weekend here in OZ.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 04:05:24 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2005, 04:06:30 PM »

Could be worse - I could be listening to "The Woman In White" Matthew.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2005, 04:10:31 PM »

I think all the Hainsies have run off with those hormones BK. Perhaps there are some Kimlets waiting in the wings (a Noel Coward reference with connections to 70 girls 70).
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2005, 04:32:12 PM »

Hello DR Ben. Welcome back.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2005, 04:41:25 PM »

How's your back today DR Michael?
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2005, 04:53:54 PM »

Jane has visitors.  So WHAT?  She and her visitors can just come to haineshisway.com.  TCB isn't feeling well?  So, come HERE and feel better.  Jed and Ann are traveling.  So WHAT?  Stop at an Internet cafe and say hello.  Francois is somewhere I can't even pronounce?  So WHAT?  There are no computers there?  MBarnum is hunting bears?  I can't even respond to that sentence, except to say, so WHAT?  You can't hunt bears here at haineshisway.com?  We've got plenty of bear right here.  Rodzinski is in CA?  So WHAT?  You can't post from California?

Matt H.

« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2005, 04:54:42 PM »

I really find it hard to believe some producer(s) is/are going to risk millions on THE WOMAN IN WHITE on Broadway. Do they REALLY think that after a truly American iconic story turned musical like SUNSET BLVD. didn't make a dime that folks are going to be rushing to see this British gothic mystery musical (even if Lloyd Webber did write the music). Are they aware that the man has had a huge string of Broadway flops since PHANTOM? Haven't they looked at the grosses of the movie of PHANTOM? I think Lloyd Webber is basically over in this country as far as new material is concerned.

But I've been wrong before.

Tomovoz

« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2005, 04:56:12 PM »

"So What". It really is a Kander & Ebb day.
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2005, 04:56:56 PM »

I had to stop TV watching becasue we were having a thunderous storm here, and I didn't trust surge protectors with my audio/video equipment. It has passed now and the sky is blue again, so off to watch Disney's ALICE IN WONDERLAND.

Matt H.

« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2005, 04:58:15 PM »

And after ALICE, probably OCEANS TWELVE.

Tomovoz

« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2005, 05:02:55 PM »

I think people will only remember the "clever" (but eventually tiresome) use of projected scenery, the comic song in Act 2 and the Train scene (sort of recycled from "Whistle Down The Wind") when they leave the theatre. I truly wanted it to be a success and it was far worse than "The Beautiful Game" which at least did not rely on scenery and gimmicks.

As I have written before - the show really lost me when they recycled "Tell Me On A Sunday" melodies appeared half way through Act One. The show is DULL.
BTW I didn't like "Woman In White" at all. It made "Aspects Of Love" look like a true work of art.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 05:03:34 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2005, 05:20:28 PM »

Once again RLP has returned - hopefully to tell us about his Cruise experience.

How do I discuss "The War of the Worlds" without giving away spoilers???

I thought it extremely thrilling, beautifully acted and filled with horrific images that shall haunt me for some time.

Tom Cruise...despite EVERYTHING...has never been more mature, more affecting, more effective or better than he is in this movie.  He stunned me!

And I'm not particularly a Cruise fan.

Dakota Fanning is just wonderful.  What a fine young actress.

I've been involved in discussion about various aspects of the film with folks who have seen it and hated it, seen it and liked it and seen it and loved it.

Some say Spielberg is back to form...and cite "Jurassic Park" as their model.   This is way better than "Jurassic Park."  It's a reimagining of the classic story in that there is a different point of view.

There IS a huge (to me) credibility issue with just WHERE those darned tripods came from...and WHEN...and why NOW???...but it's a MOVIE-MOVIE and one hell of a thrill ride!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2005, 05:22:54 PM »

I don't think A Woman In White will do well on Broadway, either.  I like the recorded score, but it's not one that I've listened to very much.  Also, the show seems very British and not the kind of show that American audiences will feel that they need to see.  Just my 2˘.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2005, 05:23:34 PM »

Michael Barnum is hunting Bears in WA

I suspect he's hunting bares.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up