Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: JOYCE KILMER'S TREES  (Read 16281 times)

Miss Karen

Re: JOYCE KILMER'S TREES
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2009, 08:03:03 AM »

DR Enabler ~ I think of you and your monkey every time that commercial comes on where the little girl packs her little stuffed monkey in her dad's suitcase when he leaves for a business trip, and then he sends her email photos of the little monkey posing at different sites along his trip. (Last night actually)

MBarnum

« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2009, 08:05:16 AM »

All this talk of HAMLET 2 and I forgot that I had even seen it. BK's description of the film did not even make me realize, but DR Elmore's did...I recall enjoying the film, for the most part. But evidently it did not stay in my memory for long.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2009, 08:07:02 AM »

Thank you, DR Elmore.

Comedy is such a personal thing. What makes one howl leaves another stone-faced. Nice to read another side. The subject matter doesn't really interest me, so if I ever see it (doubtful), it would be on a pay cable channel.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2009, 08:07:48 AM »

I must head downstairs now to get cleaned up to run my usual Friday errands.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Miss Karen

« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2009, 08:13:30 AM »

DR Mikey ~ I've been so E and T, I don't know if you got to see Slum Dog Millionaire yet or not. It just now finally came to a theater in my area (we're not a big metropolis up here in the mountains, so get things a bit later than most), so it's on my list.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2009, 08:18:03 AM »

I watched the new DVD of GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS last night.

It's the roadshow version and the transfer is not that great.  Rather soft.

Actually, as I recall, the General Release version of the movie plays much better.  It's shorter; cuts out a lot of fat.
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2009, 08:20:06 AM »

Among the DVDs I might watch this weekend when I'm not sorting and packing:

CHANGELING
APPOLOOSA
WATERLOO BRIDGE
COLOMBO MYSTERY MOVIES 1990
EAST OF EDEN (miniseries)
You can dream…or you can do.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2009, 08:32:42 AM »

DAW, you have my condolences--as I mentioned a few days ago, I believe I also was afflicted with food poisoning for the first time in my life, and it really was hideous.  I've never experienced abdominal cramping like that.

Media check:

CD:  Ivan Lins--a Brasilian artist that BK should check out
DVD:  a really unexpectedly excellent compilation of three early Dennis Potter television items which I have to review.  The first one was a sort of Pinter-esque examination of a crusty old Cambridge professor (Donald Pleasance) whose home is invaded by a young upstart (Tom Conti), which actually then turns into a sort of spy thriller.  It was fascinating and very compelling.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2009, 08:42:12 AM »

Thank you, DR Elmore.

Comedy is such a personal thing. What makes one howl leaves another stone-faced. Nice to read another side. The subject matter doesn't really interest me, so if I ever see it (doubtful), it would be on a pay cable channel.

This would be a great topic someday:  what movie did you personally think was the cat's pajamas but was otherwise met with disdain by just about everyone else?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2009, 08:45:07 AM »

Thank you, DR Elmore.

This would be a great topic someday:  what movie did you personally think was the cat's pajamas but was otherwise met with disdain by just about everyone else?

I think my list would be to long to post.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2009, 08:47:52 AM »

Thank you, DR Elmore.

I think my list would be to long to post.

LOL--DR MB, I hate to say this but your name did pop immediately into my mind as soon as I finished typing out my post. :)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2009, 08:50:24 AM »

Hmmm...it was bright and sunny here in Philly this morning but now it does look like we could get those snow showers they are predicting.
-- Anaïs Nin

JMK

« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2009, 08:52:05 AM »

BTW, DR RLP, Breakfast at Tiffany's did indeed receive a rather sumptuous studio cast recording several years courtesy of that other Bruce who does OCRs.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ginny

« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2009, 08:52:50 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  Richard and I finished clearing the ice from our driveway - I chopped and he shoveled.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2009, 09:46:33 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  Richard and I finished clearing the ice from our driveway - I chopped and he shoveled.

So, since Richard wouldn't play John Henry, you played Lizzie Borden.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2009, 09:56:18 AM »

Hoping DAW gets better soon.  As you all know, I've had food poisoning a couple of times since the site began and it's just disgusting.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2009, 09:56:32 AM »

Glad to hear the preview went well for TCB.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2009, 09:57:14 AM »

BTW, DR RLP, Breakfast at Tiffany's did indeed receive a rather sumptuous studio cast recording several years courtesy of that other Bruce who does OCRs.

I meant with Mary Tyler Moore and Richard Chamberlain...you know, "original" cast.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2009, 09:58:36 AM »

I wished I had laughed and laughed at Hamlet 2 - that's all I ever want to do with a comedy.  But yes, comedy is different for everyone and that's what makes horse racing. 

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2009, 09:58:36 AM »

Awww, DR cawpawsawdaw....does it hurt and have a temperature?

~~~Feel Better VIBES for DAW!~~~
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2009, 09:59:07 AM »

Oh, and I'm up.  The sky is very blue and the sun shines bright on my old Studio City home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2009, 09:59:29 AM »

I shall now do a little revising, and then the long jog, and then today's pages.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2009, 10:02:54 AM »

Newsies.

der Brucer

JMK

« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2009, 10:11:49 AM »

I meant with Mary Tyler Moore and Richard Chamberlain...you know, "original" cast.

There's a pretty awful soundboard recording out there.  I'm not sure I have it, but I bet TD does.  ;)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2009, 10:14:49 AM »

Cilla, congrats to you & your client.  Such a touching story about your client.

Ron, as for your trial story-thank you for all the interesting detail.  I’m glad the jury didn’t have too difficult of a time agreeing. 

DERBRUCER

« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2009, 10:18:31 AM »

BEST FRIENDS

Vick dog party!

How many dogs can you fit in a small office? Nobody knows for sure, but 14 is a good start! The dog trainers at Best Friends have been throwing quite the daily dog parties in their office lately.
And several of the guests are Vicktory dogs (rescued from the property of former NFL quarterback Michael Vick). Not bad for some dogs who used to run and take cover at the sight of their own shadow. The caregivers and trainers working with the Vicktory dogs are always on the lookout for new socializing opportunities. They figured that meet-and-greets in an office setting would be helpful.

And these are definitely meet-and-greets. Few offices have more happening in the social doggie scene than that of the dog trainers at Best Friends. Sanctuary dogs, Guardian Angel dogs, personal pets, and other visitors have spent time in this office. A real mix-and-match from everywhere. Adding several of the Vicktory dogs was just one more ingredient in the social melting pot.

Just like home.

der Brucer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2009, 10:20:55 AM »

There's a pretty awful soundboard recording out there.  I'm not sure I have it, but I bet TD does.  ;)

I recall trying to listen to it.  But I found the score so uninteresting that it wasn't worthwhile to me to put up with the bad audio and listen to the whole thing.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2009, 10:25:14 AM »

My loverly but frustrating trek to Toyland, since I cannot locate the missing proof of "The March of the Toys," was highlighted by two blasts from the past. On the subway I ran into Darrin Baker, cousin of my good friend Ryan Shore (Howard Shore's nephew) and delightful actor, and on 27th Street, about two doors from Toyland, I ran into the beautiful Christianne Tisdale, whom I last saw just before she left for London to play Molly in ONE TOUCH OF VENUS for Opera North, She's on her way to London this time to see her boyfriend.

Darrin became a great friend from the moment he saw me taping a performance of LITTLE BY LITTLE and jumped off the stage during the curtain call to confiscate my recorder. I was recording the show because I was going to score the recording for our own BK and I needed a reference tape to refresh my thoughts on the music. Backstage after the performance, after getting yelled at by Christianne Noll and Liz Larsen, Darrin was very sheepish and very apologetic. I thought it was hysterically funny and we've been friends ever since. Learning that he was a cousin of Ryan, one of my favorite composers and orchestrators who's collaborated with me on several projects, was the icing on the cake.

I'm bummed about "March of the Toys," but I collected everything else I need and as I waited for the bus it began to snow. I'm not complaining.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2009, 10:35:33 AM »

I'm back at work.

Tra-la, tra-la.

The day is young.

Tra-la, tra-la.

I've got lots of work.

Tra-la, tra-la.

My song is sung.

Tra-la, tra-la.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2009, 10:44:04 AM »

-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up