Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTES IN THE KEY OF B  (Read 76337 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:NOTES IN THE KEY OF B
« Reply #180 on: January 06, 2005, 03:43:17 PM »

I've been listening more to JEEPERS CREEPERS, of which I'm growing quite fond.
I don't know Susan Gordon, but I don't think she'll set the world on fire as a singer; her track is probably my least favorite, although Alison Fraser's "The Blob" is close behind it; it may be Bacharach and David, but it works better in a medley since there's not enough song to sustain several minutes of materal.  I love alison, but I think she's working too hard to make the something strong out of flimsy material.  One last complaint: I find the cover art unpolished, neither as good as the material on the disc nor particularly inviting to a buyer.

However, everyone else is first class, from Judy Kaye's "sing, gypsies!" to Rebecca Luker's fantastic ballad, both of which I mentioned the other day, along with Michele's "Aurora" and DRJose's topnotch vocal job.   I can't believe that I forgot to mention Guy Haines' wonderful Tony Hatch song or Christiane Nol's wonderful "Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte."  I think I'll be playing this almost as much as Mr Haines' solo album.  Mr Geisman's work is quite stunning as well.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #181 on: January 06, 2005, 03:46:24 PM »

DR Elmore3003, the WHO KILLED TEDDY BEAR song is my fave!!

MBarnum

« Reply #182 on: January 06, 2005, 03:46:59 PM »

BK, am happy to know you and Marcy the marketing lady are still working on Portland!!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #183 on: January 06, 2005, 03:48:54 PM »

DR RLP - Which church did you go to - if you went to church at the time - when you were stationed at Ft. Myer?

And do you remember the Family Fish House chain?  Whitey's?  Hsian Foong?

I didn't do church back then (my hedonist phase), and I don't remember any food establishments, although I'm certain I went out to eat quite a lot.  Usually Mexican or pizza or upscale burgers (Georgetown, ya know).

I have great memories of the Marine Exchange at Henderson Hall...they had GREAT men's clothing there...really quality stuff at good prices.  Pendleton shirts could be had for about $25 each when they were $50 on the outside.

Many times I went over that wall into Arlington Cemetery...I used to walk all over it...

I remember going to see "Give Em Hell, Harry" when they were filming it for PBS...I was in the audience for at least the first act.  They stopped so many times, my group left because we were starving.

I was an extra in the movie "F.I.S.T" when they shot outside the Senate office building one Saturday.  It was a neat experience.  I shaved my beard that day...and found out years later when I saw the movie on video that I was in a freeze frame just over Stallone's right shoulder.

I saw Barbara Cook in a little night spot in Georgetown back then...don't remember where or when...she was there, I had discovered the joys of  "She Loves Me" a couple of years earlier (after having the 2-LP set for several years before listening to it).  It was an expense I found totally worthwhile, although "nightclub entertainment" wasn't really something I could afford.

I saw "Star Wars" and "Close Encounters" and "Superman" on huge screens in Dolby stereo during my time in the D.C. area and found my life much-enriched by the experiences.

I attended Sunset Parades at the Iwo Jima in the summertime...great free entertainment...and yes, the place I lived was a prime fireworks viewing location.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #184 on: January 06, 2005, 03:54:26 PM »

I've been listening more to JEEPERS CREEPERS, of which I'm growing quite fond.
I don't know Susan Gordon, but I don't think she'll set the world on fire as a singer;

Susan, as a little girl, played the daughter of Danny Kaye in "The Five Pennies".  She has other credits, as well.

She was a much-loved contributor in these parts for a while, and a longtime pal of BK's.

She does not, to my knowledge, aspire to a professional or semi-professional singing career.  I'm betting she did the song, as did all the others, because BK asked her to sing.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 03:56:25 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #185 on: January 06, 2005, 03:56:55 PM »

Gotta run to the theatre...  I almost forgot actually!?!?!?!?

DR RLP - Barbara Cook was probably at the now closed Charlie's in Georgetown. Or was it spelled Charley's.  ????  Right across the alley sort of from Blues Alley.

And the Marine Exchange still carries some great clothes.  My mom still buys me Polo shirts every now and then from there.  -And they even have a Godiva stand!!!

Laters!....
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #186 on: January 06, 2005, 03:59:01 PM »

DR Elmore3003, the WHO KILLED TEDDY BEAR song is my fave!!

I meant to add that Sharon McKnight sounds a bit like Miss Eartha Kitt.  I saw Remy Zaken in A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN at Goodspeed.  She was amazing.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #187 on: January 06, 2005, 04:07:22 PM »

I agree with elmore's thoughts on the album.  The cover is okay, and what they thought they needed for their audience.  Susan, who was a friend of mine and was a contributor here, is not a singer.  We had her do the song because her father directed the film it is from.

Now, you want a brighter day?  Take a look at the next three photographs, all of which I've just scanned (I'm quite the scanning expert now).  Are you ready?  Here is my most darling daughter - one of the cutest children whoever lived - she is holding some of her original art.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #188 on: January 06, 2005, 04:09:18 PM »

Here is daughter with her very own grandfather, my father, and the model for Ernie Kritzer (this photo was taken two years before he died - he'd lost a lot of weight because he'd had a slight stroke).

Michael

« Reply #189 on: January 06, 2005, 04:09:52 PM »

I meant to add that Sharon McKnight sounds a bit like Miss Eartha Kitt.  I saw Remy Zaken in A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN at Goodspeed.  She was amazing.

My favorite is the one that didn't make it to the final cd. The Jewish version of The Mothra Song had me almost peeing in my pants.
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #190 on: January 06, 2005, 04:10:35 PM »

And one more - the posed daughter looking mighty happy - she was, in fact, an incredibly happy child.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #191 on: January 06, 2005, 04:11:53 PM »

elmore, Tony Walton called about an hour ago and just as we were starting to have a nice chat some gal who's a potential replacement for someone in After the Ball came to audition.  So, our chat has been postponed, not for too long I hope.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #192 on: January 06, 2005, 04:13:22 PM »

And still is incredibly happy, I might add.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #193 on: January 06, 2005, 04:21:46 PM »

elmore, Tony Walton called about an hour ago and just as we were starting to have a nice chat some gal who's a potential replacement for someone in After the Ball came to audition.  So, our chat has been postponed, not for too long I hope.

I spoke to him about AFTER THE BALL this morning.  It's probably a replacement for the beautiful Kristin Huxhold who has pneumonia.

Dear Friend BK, you could have found an artist to do a better cover for the album!  Everything you did for Varese and Fynsworth had much better artwork.  I hope I'm not offending Richard and Tom by saying that, because I like them, but I know you'd have some good ideas for a better cover.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #194 on: January 06, 2005, 04:23:26 PM »

My favorite is the one that didn't make it to the final cd. The Jewish version of The Mothra Song had me almost peeing in my pants.

DRMichael Shayne, is there a JEEPERS CREEPERS page on your Kimmel site yet?  If so, I couldn't open it yesterday.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #195 on: January 06, 2005, 04:30:57 PM »

I didn't really have any ideas for a cover and this seemed to suit their needs.  Not my cup of tea, and yes, I would have done something completely different.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #196 on: January 06, 2005, 04:31:31 PM »

DR elmore, funny you should mention the Susan Gordon track as I was just listening to it yesterday.  I remember she was a contributor to these parts when I first started reading/posting here, but then suddenly disappeared.  I hope she is well.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #197 on: January 06, 2005, 04:38:19 PM »

Susan is a survivor and I'm sure she's perfectly fine.

Welcome eight GUESTS (was twelve GUESTS just a mere moment ago).  We're singin' our posts in the key of B.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #198 on: January 06, 2005, 04:42:16 PM »

elmore, you've got a PM which is, I suppose, better than a PMS.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #199 on: January 06, 2005, 04:42:35 PM »

My daughter is so CUTE.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #200 on: January 06, 2005, 04:43:08 PM »

And one for Mahler.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #201 on: January 06, 2005, 04:49:07 PM »

elmore, you've got a PM which is, I suppose, better than a PMS.

Dear Friend BK, I've been a medical wonder for years:  the only male with terminal PMS.  You should know, you've worked with me.

You're right, she is a beautiful young lady.  I think your Dad looks great.  Ernie is one of my favorite characters in the Kritzer books; his acts of kindness and generosity were clearly inherited by Benjamin.

I took "little" out.  I wasn't implying petty acts, but sudden and suprising moments of awareness, kindness and generosity to Benjamin that were quite moving.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 04:53:04 PM by elmore3003 »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #202 on: January 06, 2005, 04:54:48 PM »

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~Health Vibes to Danise and her Mother!!~~~[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~Health Vibes to PennyO's Family!!~~~[/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #203 on: January 06, 2005, 04:59:45 PM »

We've got so many people here now we could have a choral post.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #204 on: January 06, 2005, 05:00:20 PM »

I'm very hungry and can't wait until I am seated at Musso and Frank, which I will be in a mere two count them two hours.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #205 on: January 06, 2005, 05:15:57 PM »

...Tonight I open in the play NATIONAL PASTIME, a wonderful new play about Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier in baseball.  Despite rumors to the contrary, I am not playing Jackie Robinson, but rather Branch Rickey, the General Manager of the Brooklyn Dodgers, who hired Jackie as the first African-American player in the Major Leagues....the play requires me to use numerous racial slurs that I have never before had to use in either public or private.
Opening night vibes to TCB!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Michael

« Reply #206 on: January 06, 2005, 05:16:49 PM »

I thought I'd share some of my new art that I recently treated myself to.

First the case that in comes in.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #207 on: January 06, 2005, 05:17:31 PM »

Miss Gale from Kansas
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #208 on: January 06, 2005, 05:18:17 PM »

The first guy she met on the way
Never stop dreaming.