Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTES IN THE KEY OF B  (Read 75521 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:NOTES IN THE KEY OF B
« Reply #240 on: January 06, 2005, 08:25:42 PM »

Can anyone who saw Medium the other night (the pilot episode) explain something to me?  If it's a spoiler, IM me.  We didn't catch the first few minutes, which I am assuming had the scene shown in the trailers of all the dead people around her bed.

What we're wondering is, was something said in the opening segment that had something to do with the guy in jail at the very end?  (The very last segment, not the guy she was trying to put away that took up the bulk of the pilot episode).

Thanks for any clarification.

She had a dream about the guy at the beginning of the episode in which he basically confessed to the murder that he (or his lawyer in the written statement she was referring to) was going to try to deny to her in the interrogation at the end.

BTW, I enjoyed the episode, and now have two shows on Monday night facing off against each other that I'll be watching and/or recording.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #241 on: January 06, 2005, 08:27:25 PM »

I laughed out loud twice and smiled repeatedly during COMMITTED tonight, just like the pilot episode for me as far as laugh quotient.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #242 on: January 06, 2005, 08:33:48 PM »

Re:  Children of Eden.  Well, I've never seen the show, and I am a bit underwhelmed by the OC I have, but I must say it is a total gas to play Spark of Creation when you have someone as dynamic as Susannah Mars singing it with you.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #243 on: January 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM »

DR SWW - As for "The Return of the Animals"... Yes, I get it.

Can we leave it now?  That was so 2004.

;)

Thank you.

:)

*Modified since I didn't know my years.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 09:15:52 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #244 on: January 06, 2005, 08:46:16 PM »

Re:  Children of Eden.  Well, I've never seen the show, and I am a bit underwhelmed by the OC I have, but I must say it is a total gas to play Spark of Creation when you have someone as dynamic as Susannah Mars singing it with you.

DR JMK - You're soooo right about playing "Spark of Creation" for an amazing singer.  I just always have to be careful that I don't get carried away and start playing the opening accompaniment figure too fast.. or faster.  Of course, some singers like it fast, so...

However, I remember the first time I had played the song for someone from the MTI piano/vocal score.  I was so used to playing it from the Vocal Selections and from the London score - which are both published in the key of C.  The Papermill key - and consequently the p/v score key - is in D-flat.  A half step up.  But what a difference that half-step makes in regards to fingering!!  I had to take a few moments to "realize" what I was playing.  *I've also played in B-flat and B a few times, oh, and as well as D(!) - that girl could BELT!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #245 on: January 06, 2005, 08:47:44 PM »

OH...

DR JMK - Did my Confession post make sense? help? clarify?  -I'd be more than happy to post some excerpts from my catechism.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #246 on: January 06, 2005, 09:09:36 PM »

Looking at the list of next week's DVD releases (thanks again, MBarnum), I was reminded that the five classic DVDs voted on by the public are being released next week:

THE LETTER
ICE STATION ZEBRA
IVANHOE
KING SOLOMON'S MINES
RANDOM HARVEST

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #247 on: January 06, 2005, 09:10:35 PM »

I didn't do church back then (my hedonist phase), and I don't remember any food establishments, although I'm certain I went out to eat quite a lot.  Usually Mexican or pizza or upscale burgers (Georgetown, ya know).

I asked about church since my family went to St. Thomas More Cathedral, and my brothers and I went to St. Thomas More school - and onto Bishop O'Connell High School.  We had a lot of other military families in the parish, and I went to school with lots of other military brats.  And a bunch of Army and Navy guys sang in the Cathedral Chorus too.  Did you know the Malovics? Gortons?

As for pizza - Marino's on Wilson?  -I actually stopped by there on the way home from the show tonight and picked up a few slices.  The trigger was this whole trip down memory lane. ;)

Hamburger's - I guess you either went to Hamburger Hamlet and/or Clyde's.  Great burgers at both places.

I have great memories of the Marine Exchange at Henderson Hall...they had GREAT men's clothing there...really quality stuff at good prices.  Pendleton shirts could be had for about $25 each when they were $50 on the outside.

As I mentioned earlier, the Marine Exchange still does carry some real quality stuff.  My parents would usually shop there for gifts and special occasion clothes, and then head over to Ft. Myer for the family stuff. ;)

I saw "Star Wars" and "Close Encounters" and "Superman" on huge screens in Dolby stereo during my time in the D.C. area and found my life much-enriched by the experiences.

I'm guessing you're talking about the Uptown.  Still a great place to catch a movie - and they did a wonderful remodeling and facelift on the place a few years ago.  -They were one of the few theatres to run the whole "Lord of the Rings" trilogy as an all day affair once the third one came out.  Sadly, a lot of the classic single and double screen movie houses in DC have closed over the years, but some of them are starting to reopen and/or are being reinvented as other performance spaces.  I miss the small art house complex that was in Georgetown.  I saw many, many films there while I was in high school - "Like Water for Chocolate", "Un Coeur en Hiver" (hmm.. is this on DVD?), "La Lectrice", "Manon of the Spring", "Cinema Paradiso" (in it's first release), etc., etc...

I attended Sunset Parades at the Iwo Jima in the summertime...great free entertainment...and yes, the place I lived was a prime fireworks viewing location.
In all my years of living in and around the DC area, I don't think I've ever been to a Sunset Parade, nor the other marching ceremony they would do on the base.  However, I've been to a couple of Twilight Tatoos on the Tidal Basin.

When was the last time you were back in the DC area?  It's amazing just how fast this area has changed, been built up.  And then built up again.  The whole Ballston and Clarendon areas have gone through multiple "upgrades" over the past 10-15 years.  And poor Ballston Mall - It was closed for a while for upgrading.  Business picked up again.  Then business started to die off again.  Then they added another whole floor and a parking deck to it, and business picked up again.  Then it started to die down again.  Then they added movie theatres and some more restaurants.   Business picked up again, however, mainly for the restaurants and movies.  There are hardly any real stores left in the Mall, although Hecht's is still the anchor store.  The JC Penney closed a few years ago.

-Oh, and remember the Sears on Wilson Blvd?

..and... and... and...

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #248 on: January 06, 2005, 09:11:59 PM »

My most out of control moment: In 1982, a bunch of my gay friends and I spent a week at Hilton Head, an upscale resort beach in South Carolina. One day, at dusk, I don't know (or remember) exactly why we did it, but four of us linked our arms together and went singing and skipping down the beach singing at the tops of our voices "We're Off to See the Wizard." We sang the entire song and then turned around and sang it all the way back.

What's weird about that?  :P

The first thing that came to my mind when I read today's topic was the time my brother pushed me on the lawnmower down the street so we could see the neighbor's new car. It was a Cadillac, I think. After we got a nice look at the car, he turned the lawnmower around and pushed me back to our yard. To this day, I'm not sure why.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #249 on: January 06, 2005, 09:13:50 PM »

Vibes to Danise and her mom. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vibes to PennyO and her parents. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #250 on: January 06, 2005, 09:16:25 PM »

And my mom and I used to put on Porch-swing Productions a few times a week. We'd sit out on the porch-swing and listen to a CD on headphones and sing along at the top of our lungs. We'd sing the wrong words off-key while all our neighbors stared at us.

Good times.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #251 on: January 06, 2005, 09:20:47 PM »

I'm back from a lovely dinner with the Geissmans and our very own Tammy Minoff, who is back in town.  We had much to catch up on and we had a high old time stuffing ourselves silly.  I have some photos, which I'll post in a bit.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #252 on: January 06, 2005, 09:21:11 PM »

That last post, as sung by me, was very Pucciniesque.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #253 on: January 06, 2005, 09:21:58 PM »

Oh, and the time I accidentally hailed a taxi. My cousin and I were walking to the grocery store to get more sugar and we were goofing around and laughing. I was kinda waving my arms around like a weirdo, and this taxi stopped and started backing up so we could get in. We didn't know what to do, so we ran away.

And then there's the time my brother and I found an abandoned shopping cart by the canal and played with it. Apparently, I think this is funnier than it really is.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #254 on: January 06, 2005, 09:27:53 PM »

Here the Geissmans are toasting haineshisway.com and all hainsies/kimlets.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #255 on: January 06, 2005, 09:28:43 PM »

And here is our very own Tammy Minoff.

Kerry

« Reply #256 on: January 06, 2005, 09:37:07 PM »

I have done so many outrageous things in public (most of them even G-rated)-- especially between the ages of 15 and 19.  

I will have to work on what the MOST outrageous things were.  I still do outrageous things (Thank God I have not lost that ability or desire-- and I hope I never do).

I tapdanced down the Montmartre steps; I skip occasionally when I'm shopping or was at the office.  These are pretty tame though.

I have worn some of the most outrageous things in public (also most of them G-rated).  I used to have a large coolie hat  (about four feet around) that I'd wear to school.  For a few months  I would wear a vegetable as a boutoniere everyday instead of a flower in the lapel of my trenchcoat.  (Fresh broccoli after a few hours does lose its charm; so do radishes).

None of this is truly outrageous, but some of the stories are just way too long to type!  Does anyone take dictation? (Watch it, TCB!)
I like boat races.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #257 on: January 06, 2005, 09:37:17 PM »

That last post, as sung by me, was very Pucciniesque.
I was amazed and thrilled by your high C.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #258 on: January 06, 2005, 09:39:39 PM »

Oh... I guess think this was sort of in public.. - and I think I may told this story before... In any case...

I was in the sixth or seventh grade at St. Thomas More School.  Since it was a Catholic school attached to a church, the Cathedral, we usually ended up attending Mass on the big Holy Days throughout the school year.  The Thursday before Easter, Holy Thursday, there is a Mass held where the holy oil, chrism, is blessed and distributed to the other parishes in the diocese.  It's a full house.  Most of the priests from the parishes are in attendance, as well as the whole student body of St. Thomas More School - grades K-8.  And the Bishop presides over the service.

Well... I was singing in the Junior Choir at the time, and for that Mass we were positioned on the "ground floor" rather than up in the choir loft (among the organ pipes).  At the end of the Mass, I'm singing the Recessional hymn while the Bishop walks out of the church.  As the Bishop walks by me, he waves to me.  And I wave back.

My friend, Chrissy, starts laughing hysterically.  "He was not waving at you, he was making the Sign of the Cross!"  That's when I started laughing too.  And to this day, the thought it still makes me laugh.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #259 on: January 06, 2005, 09:54:41 PM »

...Oh, and I guess there was that time when I was staying over at John Reed's house - we were in the 8th Grade at the time - and we decided to play "Altered States".

John's house was near an intersection with a stop light.  So, around 1:00 in the morning, when there wasn't too much traffic, we would wait for a red light, and the proceed to run out in the street in front of the car or cars that was stopped there like "Altered States".  Crazy, deranged... almost ape-like, like in the movie "Altered States".  Sometimes one of us would even press our face to the window of the car.

Thinking back, it's amazing none of us ever got hurt and/or arrested.

Oh, and speaking of "dangerous"...  We would go to the movies at Springfield Mall.  Outside the movie theatre, there was always a line of cars waiting to pick people up.  Well, sometimes my friends and I would spot a really nice looking car, and proceed to get in it.  There were a few times when the driver - usually a parent - was on auto-pilot would just start driving off assuming it was his/her kids their friends.  Other times, it was truly total strangers who would get us out of the car as soon as possible.  But there were also times when the driver actually got the joke too.  -Not something I'd try to pull in today's world...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #260 on: January 06, 2005, 09:56:24 PM »

I was amazed and thrilled by your high C.

Hmm... So, if he's singing in the key of B, for him to sing a high C...  -Just trying to figure out the harmonies here....

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #261 on: January 06, 2005, 10:08:56 PM »

I just found this information over at IMBD.  This is a partial quote.

The Oscar race came into even clearer view with this morning's Director Guild nominations, which cited four of the five films that received mention from the Producers Guild yesterday. Veterans Martin Scorsese (The Aviator) and Clint Eastwood (Million Dollar Baby), previous DGA nominees (Eastwood won for 1992's Unforgiven), both snagged nominations as did first time nominees Marc Forster (Finding Neverland) and Alexander Payne (Sideways). All four movies were nominated alongside The Incredibles for the PGA's Best Picture award, and those four directors also have Golden Globe nominations under their belt this year. The fifth DGA nominee, a bit of a surprise choice, was Taylor Hackford, who picked up his first major mention of any kind this awards season for the biopic Ray.

Naturally, I haven't seen any of the DGA nominees.  And the only PGA nominee I've seen is the not-DGA-nominated The Incredibles.  Der B and I have some catching up to do!

(At least they didn't nominate Van Helsing!   :o :o :P)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #262 on: January 06, 2005, 10:17:00 PM »

They'll be having screenings of all five nominated films at the DGA in a week or so, and I'll be able to see all these then - I'm really looking forward to the Eastwood film, and thankfully I've already seen The Aviator.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #263 on: January 06, 2005, 10:35:05 PM »

I know der B wants to see Aviator.  Just on subject matter, I'm more of a Finding Neverland kind of guy.  And from my family history in the Napa vinyards, I might enjoy Sideways.

The awards I'm most interested in each year are for writing, however.  Anyone know when the Writers Guild puts out it's nominations?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #264 on: January 06, 2005, 10:55:56 PM »

I'll admit, seeing a film in a theater isn't the same as it was when I was living in SoCal.  Mostly this is because there's just two theaters in town, compared with the countless screens in easy reach before.  

The first theater, the Midway, has fourteen screens.  It gets the first-run films.  The Rehoboth Mall Cinema has six screens, and gets the films that have already left the Midway, at a discount price.

I haven't really been keeping track, but I think the only DGA nominated film at the Midway right now is The Aviator.  I hope I'm wrong, but I think Finding Neverland has already come and gone, and Sideways and Million Dollar Baby haven't reached here yet.  Ray is playing at the Mall Cinema already; it didn't get much of an audience at the Midway.

A few years ago, der B and I made an effort to see every film nominated in the major catagories.  Last year, with the expected LOTR sweep, we didn't bother catching everything (and moving filled our minds and emptied our wallets).  This year, with no clear-cut winners, seeing a number of the films becomes interesting again...now, we just have to figure out how to find the films without driving to DC, Philly, or further!

(This could give us an excuse to drive over to Baltimore, of course.)

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #265 on: January 06, 2005, 11:06:50 PM »

I was going to go to my room to watch M*A*S*H, but the fussy cat in my lap says no way am I getting up. So I guess I'm stuck here until he feels like getting up.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #266 on: January 06, 2005, 11:06:54 PM »

Has Ann caught up?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #267 on: January 06, 2005, 11:15:04 PM »

I will get up early tomorrow.

-Of course, early for me is anytime before 9:00, so...

I will get up early tomorrow...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #268 on: January 06, 2005, 11:17:00 PM »

Oh..

BK - Will I need to send some more biscotti next week?

;)

Jose is now afraid that he asked the question...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #269 on: January 06, 2005, 11:28:46 PM »

Well, I have become totally obsessed with said biscotti, if that tells you anything.

I guess Ann didn't get caught up.

I guess Sandra is just sitting there like so much fish.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up