Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FEELING MY OATS  (Read 19334 times)

Jennifer

Re:FEELING MY OATS
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2005, 07:49:07 AM »

Question for DRs Jose, SWW or any other HHW experts!

I am still trying to get out the stain on my mamma mia shirt. It is 100% cotton and a very light blue.

I had a very bad stain on something white and I used bleach to rub it out. And it worked perfectly.  I happened to read the bleach bottle, and it seemed to me that it was saying that one could use bleach on non-white clothes.  They listed materials (like 100% cotton).

Now i have never used bleach on anything non-white. And i'm wondering what would happen if i rubbed this liquid bleach on my light blue shirt. I know bleach can wipe off the color of some things. So now i am so confused.

Anybody know?  I'm actually thinking it might work, since there was a beigy color on my white comforter and i rubbed the bleach on that and it worked there.

Any help would be great.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2005, 07:53:59 AM »

Reviews are coming in, and WAR OF THE WORLDS has been getting raves in the reviews I've seen thus far (raves for Spielberg, that is, and the film itself). The Charlotte reviewer gave it four stars (out of four) likening it in intensity to JURASSIC PARK and saying that the pacing and effects were superior. The VARIETY review also gushed about the film's potential blockbuster status. We'll see how the box-office results reflect these rave reviews.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2005, 08:01:05 AM »

I've mentioned it here before, but my favorite theater growing up was the Carolina Theater in Charlotte because it was the area's Cinerama theater. Going there was a BIG DEAL (we always wore Sunday clothes to this theater to see movies if you can remember such a thing). The Capri Theater, which opened with the area premiere engagement of MY FAIR LADY, was also a tremendously comfortable and beautiful theater to see movies in.

An old theater which served as our revival theater here was called the Visulite. It had a glass projection booth at the back of the theater, and it was interesting to see films being projected out of it.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2005, 08:02:17 AM »

I never lived anywhere near old movie theaters...just either run-down movie theaters or multi-plexes.  There's a new 16-screen movie theater that's being built right now in Lacey, which is right next to Olympia and less than two miles from where my parents live.

The Washington Center for the Performing Arts, where I frequently usher and have performed in many community theater productions, has shown silent movies with live accompaniment.  They also have a wonderful pipe organ built into the theater (from what I've been told...I've never seen a performance) that was restored not too long ago.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2005, 08:04:49 AM »

Darn! I had some equipment malfunctions (and some stupidity on my part) which ruined the recordings of NEW MOON and BITTER SWEET this morning. I'll have to get them the next time they're shown.

I did get ROSE MARIE earlier this morning. NAUGHTY MARIETTA is next up at 12:45. I also want I MARRIED AN ANGEL and THE GIRL OF THE GOLDEN WEST.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2005, 08:07:47 AM »

Jill Clayburgh is far too young to be playing Mildred Natwick-type roles.

Favorite movie theatres as a child (for no discernible reasons):  The Avalon (Kings Highway & East 18th Street).  The Kingsway (Kings Highway & Coney Island Ave.)  Radio City Music Hall (yes, I went there when they still ran movies, had a stage show, and you got to hear the Mighty Wurlitzer, all for about 15 centimes, or something.).  The Ziegfeld. Loew's (pronounced correctly in Brooklyn as "Lo-eez") Kings, where I saw "Hello, Dolly!"

Least favorite?  (Mostly due to the matrons that patrolled the kiddie sections):  The Brook (Flatbush & Flatlands Avenues; where I saw my first movie, "Yours, Mine and Ours"), and the Nostrand (Nostrand Avenue, off Kings Highway).  And I never liked the Kings Plaza Twin, which I think is now a quad.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2005, 08:10:53 AM »

I love old movie houses.  Unfortunatley, they have all disappeared here in Northern Caliifornia.  The only one that I know of that is still in all its granduer is the Stanford Movie Theatre in Palo Alto.  They even have a MIghty Wurlitzer.  It's sad the way the old houses have gone.

Well, there IS the Castro in San Francisco, and here in the Oakland area we have The Grand Lake theater, the Paramount and, closed thought it may be, the Fox.  All are old-time movie palaces.  The Grand Lake is a multplex, but on a rather grand scale, as such things go, and it retains its glam appeal.  The main theater is huge.  The Paramount is truly old-style, with organ, and special events are staged there as well as movie series...and the Oakland Symphony sometimes plays there (I think).

There are others, too, in surrounding communities.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2005, 08:14:18 AM »

My favorite theater when I was growing up was the (now-gone) Carolina Theater on the north end of Main Street in Greenville, South Carolina.

It was cavernous and the CinemaScope screen was the largest I've ever seen.  It was E-normous.  I saw the 1963 re-release of "The Robe" on that screen and I never saw a CinemaScope film fill that screen in the way that "The Robe" did.  When the theater was torn down, someone did a local news story on the theater, visiting its behind-the-screen areas before demolition...and discovered a vaudevillian history, with dressing rooms and prop rooms and costume rooms and tons of posters for all the acts/events that had been staged there since the 1920s.

If ever a theater should have been protected, that one is the one.  But like so many wonderful things from our past, it is gone forever.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 09:29:10 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Michael

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2005, 08:30:29 AM »

Can anyone please tell me the dates for HHW gathering in NYC in October?
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2005, 08:54:51 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.

Miss Clayburgh is sixty.  I think Natwick was younger when she played Barefoot on stage.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2005, 08:55:13 AM »

Actually, DID she play it on stage, or just the film?  I'll have to check.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2005, 08:58:57 AM »

Yes, she played it on Broadway and was 58 when the play opened.  Interesting trivia: Elizabeth Ashley's understudy was E. J. Peaker.

MBarnum

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2005, 09:00:52 AM »

JRand54, TCB, George, and BK all have some fun things coming to them in the mail! Watch for the postman!

MBarnum

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2005, 09:02:12 AM »

DRs Ann and Jed will also have something on the way to them as well!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2005, 09:30:06 AM »

DR Matt H:  I'm just bromide myself in excitement about "War of the Worlds."

I may finally go "out" to see a movie.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2005, 09:31:56 AM »

I knew WOTW might be entertaining as soon as I saw all the "hatred" of it online, by people who hadn't actually seen it.  The last time the Internet dweebs did the same sort of negative hatred was with The Incredibles.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2005, 09:32:22 AM »

DRs Ann and Jed will also have something on the way to them as well!

I hope it's some jungle film or Bollywood movie prop hoo-doo charm or the like that will make them non-contagious for bird (or chicken) flu.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 09:33:08 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2005, 09:35:11 AM »

DR Jennifer....bleach on the light blue shirt will work...if you want a white spot on your light blue shirt.

There are pre-laundry applications in your grocery store that are meant to alleviate spots....apply some before laundering.   Read labels to ensure the products are okay for color.

Some products you may find:  Spray 'n Wash, Shout, OxyClean.  Some are sprays, some are sticks.  I believe I used some "Shout" on a grease stain on a blue shirt.  Follow directions.  Some products must not be left on a stain for more than a few minutes before laundering begins.

DO NOT RUB BLEACH ON YOUR BLUE SHIRT!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 09:38:28 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2005, 09:40:39 AM »

I knew WOTW might be entertaining as soon as I saw all the "hatred" of it online, by people who hadn't actually seen it.  The last time the Internet dweebs did the same sort of negative hatred was with The Incredibles.

I was amazed yesterday to find a thread on the recent trailer for Peter Jackson's "King Kong" -- and it was SO negative, although some reason prevailed.

I saw the trailer on TV and thought the film looked intriguing and exciting and I cannot wait to see it.  But I'm sure it will be discussed in mostly negative terms between now and December when it opens.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 09:41:08 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2005, 09:43:51 AM »

Miss Clayburgh is sixty.  I think Natwick was younger when she played Barefoot on stage.

Yes, but Miss Natwick, like Mary Wickes and to some degree Miss Angela Lansbury, always "played" older.

Jill Clayburgh is still young to me.  And vibrant.  Sort of like a poor man's Diane Keaton.

Phyllis Newman.  That's who should be playing it.  Or Brenda Vaccaro.

Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled that Miss Clayburgh is working again.  But she still seems too young for it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 09:46:23 AM by Stuart »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2005, 09:45:31 AM »

I attempted to watch an episode of "Empire" last night on ABC.  I had forgotten it was on this week, but I went to ABC at 9 p.m.

And the jig was up...the dialogue was so risible I felt my skin crawl.

What is it that makes people think that an English accent can pull off crappy dialogue.

And every name, as Gaius Julius Caesar greeted his friends, just HAD to be prefaced by an adjective...NOBLE Cicero....BRAVE Crassus....

GAG ME WITH A SPOON!

And Colm Feore, as Caesar, hasn't changed his facial expression since he made "Storm of the Century," that Stephen King miniseries of six years ago (and it was infinitely superior to last night's claptrap).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 09:50:23 AM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2005, 09:47:07 AM »

Just off the phone with paypal and all is well.  I had a little prob in that I had another paypal premiere business account, and so it was imposing "limits" as to how much I could withdraw from the "new" account.  We made one little switch (we downgraded the account I use for eBay purchases to a "personal" account) and that did the trick.  

I must say, I am at that yucky point in this illness where I'm basically over the sore throat and stuff but it's all turned into unseemly PHLEGM and I'm having to honk this guck out of my nose every five minutes.  Plus the incessant and deep coughing isn't helping matters, especially my hoarseness.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2005, 09:51:24 AM »

You need some kind of bromide, BK.

Phlegm...ewwwwwwww.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2005, 10:15:49 AM »

Good Morning... er.. Afternoon!

I actually got up around 9:00 for a bit, then the next thing I knew it was 11:00... then 1:00... ah, well...

*I did notice that I had ha a call come in on my cell phone - but I had left the ringer off.  "Uh-Oh! Didn't they add that midweek matinee this week?!?"  Thankfully, it was just a friend calling to say, HI!

But I'm up, and feeling very well-rested.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2005, 10:18:21 AM »

DR Ginny - Welcome home.

Sorry you and your travelling companion got sick, but you were not alone.  There were some other "sickies" this past weekend here on HHW and elsewhere.

But at least you had that wonderful view from your hotel room!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2005, 10:25:20 AM »

What a LULL!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2005, 10:27:04 AM »

DR Jennifer - As DR Ron Pulliam noted atlready, do not bleach your light blue shirt unless you want a white spot on your light blue shirt unless you want a white/lighter spot where your stain used to be.  Now, maybe you could take a Q-Tip and make some sort of design with the bleach - this way it would look like the "light show" at the top of the second act.  Or not.

;)

Yes, bleach is safe for 100% cotton clothes, but only in the sense that the bleach will not break down the fabric itself, the cotton fibers.  Some colors are color-fast and may not fade when bleach is applied, but you never know until you try.  *And you could "try" on an inside seam to test for colorfastness.  However...

There are also those various "Oxy" products you could try.

If you really want the stain out, take it to a dry cleaner/laundromat and have an "expert" look at it.  Unfortunately, depending on the type of stain it is and how long it has been set in by now, it just may not come out at all.   So, just bring it in, and ask, "Can you get this stain out?", and see what they say.

But the cost of the stain removal may be equivalent to the cost of another Mamma Mia! t-shirt.

And, remember, it is just a t-shirt.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2005, 10:28:07 AM »

BK - Yes, it does sound like you're on the road to recovery, but maybe a visit to a doctor would not be a bad thing at this point.

-Just a thought.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2005, 10:31:17 AM »

DR Jennifer....bleach on the light blue shirt will work...if you want a white spot on your light blue shirt.

DO NOT RUB BLEACH ON YOUR BLUE SHIRT!

That is the funniest thing i've read!

I am still confused, why does the bleach imply that you can use it for colors. You'd think it would say "USE ONLY ON WHITE".  And i'm confused why my beige lines on the comforter didn't turn white!

I used the spray in wash. Didn't work.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2005, 10:32:56 AM »

And, remember, it is just a t-shirt.

Say What????  Bite your tonge.

A well-loved T-shirt is priceless.  If it's stained, one cannot wear it.

I've taken clothes to cleaners with a stain they say they cannot get out.  And yet, they cleaned it and charged me for it, stain and all.  Weeks later, after applying a little "Shout" I got it out without any ill effect on color.

Try both ways, Jennifer.  Jose is correct that some stains just won't come out no matter what.  You won't know until you try.

But don't ever think of it as "just a T-shirt"!

:D

« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 10:35:22 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up