Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FIGHTING VAINLY THE OLD ENNUI  (Read 22069 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:FIGHTING VAINLY THE OLD ENNUI
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2005, 09:23:07 AM »

Come on, follks.  I know you're out there.  I can hear you breathing.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2005, 09:29:21 AM »

Take my Page 2 Dance, Please...

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2005, 09:34:39 AM »

Thank you, ladies and germs!  You've all been lovely!  Before I say good night I want to remind you to

Smile
Though your heart is aching
Smile
Even though it's breaking
When there are clouds
In the sky,
You'll get by
If you smile.

I'll be here all week, four shows a night!
Drive safely!
-- Anaïs Nin

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2005, 09:34:50 AM »

Hi, all, from the beautiful Oregon coast.

Re:  Darling of the Day.  I have the apparently very rare (even Ken Mandelbaum hadn't heard of it when I emailed him about it several years ago) backers' demo LP of the score, which, unlike most demos, is lushly orchestrated and includes (as is to be expected) several songs that were cut from the score.  Ken wasn't able to identify who the singers were--does anyone here know (one male, one female and quite obviously not Price or Routledge).

We watched (or attempted to watch, anyway) the new Marple last night on the tv here in our timeshare.  Was it insane nationally or just here?  It started with the picture coming and going whilst the sound continued unabated, then that reversed--picture was fine, no sound.  Then things got really crazy--a timecode caption appeared at the upper right corner and some other broadcast was subimposed (so to speak--it was "underneath" the Marple broadcast).  Then things went to a "color negative," prompting me to say "It's Miss Marple on acid!!"  The punch line was the little notice "video difficulties" after about 20 minutes of this stuff.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2005, 09:35:37 AM »

I have been E & T, running from hither to  yon and from yon to hither.  The insurance adjuster man came this morning to look at the damage caused by the SUV hiiting our fence and knocking down the telephone pole .  It turns out that we suffered more damaged than we had realized.  When the pole came down in pulled the  wires and cleats and our electric meter off the house, but apparently it also damaged and split the insulation on the electric wires leadinginto our house.. and since our house is aluminum sided (not our choice, it came that way) this is a dangerous situation.  The insurance man saw this, Mr. Vixmom & I had no clue.... ANYWAY they are going to try and get an electrician to the house by tomorrow to fix that part up.

i must post some f the pictures... I may have to impose on Jack or one of you other savvy picture resizing people to fix them up for me....
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2005, 09:42:11 AM »

Ninety-nine years ago today, at 5:12 AM on April 18th, 1906, San Francisco was struck by an earthquake.

One year later, the Fairmont Hotel of San Francisco, which had been badly damaged by the quake, reopened.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2005, 09:48:01 AM »

Hi, all, from the beautiful Oregon coast.
How are things there in "Self-Serve-Is-Verbotten" Land?

We watched (or attempted to watch, anyway) the new Marple last night on the tv here in our timeshare.  Was it insane nationally or just here?  It started with the picture coming and going whilst the sound continued unabated, then that reversed--picture was fine, no sound.  Then things got really crazy--a timecode caption appeared at the upper right corner and some other broadcast was subimposed (so to speak--it was "underneath" the Marple broadcast).  Then things went to a "color negative," prompting me to say "It's Miss Marple on acid!!"  The punch line was the little notice "video difficulties" after about 20 minutes of this stuff.
Der Brucer noticed some sound difficulties.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2005, 09:48:59 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Congratulations, DR MattH![/move][/color][/size]

On your being cast as Georges in "La Cage Aux Folles"!!!!!!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]The Best of Times is Now![/move]
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 09:49:36 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

vixmom

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2005, 09:49:21 AM »

TOD:

Bill Cosby, Rita Rudner, Ellen DeGeneres, Bob Newhart, some early George Carlin .... "Things you never hear people say: Hand me that piano... Do what you want to  the girl, but leave me alone!"

There was a guy we saw recently on the Comedy Channel, Stephen Lynch.. he's not your usual standup comedian ...he plays folk guitar and sings these beautiful songs in a lovely voice... only the lyrics are hysterically funny. (in a very non pc way)  I have heard , however that his non TV stuff is much more profane...but his comedy channel special was really funny
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 09:51:52 AM by vixmom »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2005, 09:59:26 AM »

Favorite stand-up comedians:

Elvira Kurt...wonderfully funny lesbian comic who incorporates her coming-out to her parents into her act.

Steven Lynch...terrifically endearing/daring comic who plays guitar and, with a sweet tenor, tells stories that are profanely funny, all dealing with sexuality, of course.

Both can be seen on Comedy Central.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2005, 10:09:22 AM »

Discussion of LAST NIGHT'S DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES.

Hey DR MattH, thanks for the Alias info.  Btw, re: Desperate Housewives.  Something Bree's son said confused me.  He told the priest/minister guy that he wasn't really gay (or something like that).  I get that he's gonna play nice and then screw over his mom.  But was he trying to say that he's gonna pretend he's not gay.  Or is he really not sure?  He seemed pretty convincing when he was making out in the pool!  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2005, 10:17:41 AM »

My goodness, it IS a slow Monday here at haineshisway.com.  Perhaps everyone is off fighting vainly the old ennui.

Well, let's get off our complacent butt cheeks and get some postin' goin' on, shall we?

BARRATRY, baby, BARRATRY.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2005, 10:31:05 AM »

Re: "Desperate Housewives"

I think Andrew lied to the minister.  I think he's definitely going to play nice until such a time as he can make good on his promise about shocking Bree.  

It may be he's not sure which side of the fence he wants to be on...he may just straddle it for a while...or forever.

He's a piece of work...and he's dangerous.  Bree has no idea.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2005, 10:43:21 AM »

What is going on here today?  I'll tell you what's going on here today - nothing.  Although what's here is, of course, cherce.  

Standups I enjoy who came up after 1970: Billy Crystal, Gary Shandling, Jay Leno (pre Tonight Show).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2005, 10:44:15 AM »

There is a segment on some Canadian TV show about our young Caitlynne - they have clips of her rehearsing my song.  Her mum sent it to me.  If you go to
http://calgary.shawtv.com/  you might be able to find it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2005, 10:50:28 AM »

The sun is hiding and it is completely overcast in the City of Studio.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2005, 10:52:14 AM »

Just went to that link and it's right there on the home page, about third in the list of stories.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2005, 10:52:32 AM »

The sun isn't the only thing that is errant and truant.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2005, 10:54:29 AM »

I'll tell you one thing about Caitlynne - she looks like a fifteen year old, not a fifteen year old like we see here in Los Angeles, where the fifteen year olds try to look like hookers.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2005, 10:55:27 AM »

What am I, doing a monologue?  Suddenly I'm doing standup?

Ben

« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2005, 11:03:11 AM »

Very nice little segment on Caitlynne!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2005, 11:27:04 AM »

Comedians from the seventies up I've enjoyed: Garry Shandling, Bill Maher, Sam Kinison, Richard Jeni...

I agree with Kerry about the late Dennis Wolfberg and the off-beat Taylor Negron.

I like most of the Blue Collar comics:  Jeff Foxworthy, Bill Engeval, and especially Ron White...Don't like Larry the Cable Guy.

I think many comics like Jay Leno and Drew Carey were more interesting and cutting edge before they became mainstream TV.  Seinfeld is funny.

David Letterman still cracks me up, though he doesn't do much stand-up anymore.

Some smaller time ones who I've found very funny:  Patton Oswald and Dana Gould.

I've found very few women comics funny:  Joan Rivers in her heyday could knock out the zingers.  Sandra Bernhardt can get me going and stop me just as fast, wish she'd stick to the comedy and leave the singing alone.

Some interesting blasts from the past...all probably started before the 70's but worked well into them...Frank Gorshin, John Byner, Jackie Vernon, Jackie Leonard, and the always wonderfully bizarre Pete Barbuti...who was kind of a comedian's comedian.  He'd always kill the guys in the band when he appeared on Carson.  A sample of Barbuti's humour:  "A guy digs up Bach's grave and lifts the lid.  Bach shouts from the coffin: 'Close that! I'm de-composing!' "

Henny Youngman and Rodney Dangerfield were always great with one-liners.

Don Rickles, who is handled by my business manager, and so who I see every now and then, still makes it work just on pure rim-shot rhythm...even when the jokes aren't funny.

Cos was great growing up as was Newhart and my pal Shelley Berman.  Having worked with Shelley,  I can tell you he is not only one of the funniest people I've ever met, he's also one of the brightest.   You could just sit with him in a diner and he could have you laughing so hard, you'd be crying.  He also did one of the funniest after-show speeches I've ever heard...improvised and different every night.

Though he wasn't a stand-up, the funniest comedy album I've ever heard is still Stan Freberg Discovers America.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 11:29:06 AM by Charles Pogue »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2005, 11:31:14 AM »

How could I forget another Kerry favourite and one of mine:  LEWIS BLACK...smart, funny, and original!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2005, 11:37:57 AM »

So, anyway.

It's a gorgeous Monday in the Bay Area...sunny, blue skies, fresh Spring breeze...m-a-r-v-e-l-o-u-s weather!

vixmom

« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2005, 11:38:35 AM »

HOO and RAY!!  I just received a phone call from the insurance guy and he has arranged for the electrician to be at the home environment tomorrow morning to fix the electrical wirings so we don't get burned up....

I have nothing but nice things to say about Metropolitan Insurance at the moment.

vixmom

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2005, 11:41:12 AM »

Another not really standup, but a favorite from my childhood days; Allan Sherman and  his 'My Son The Folk Singer" album

Jennifer

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2005, 11:41:40 AM »

According to this article Rob and Amber (of Survivor and Amazing Race fame) were to get married april 16th.  And the wedding will be televised in may on the finale night of American Idol:

http://www.realitytvworld.com/index/articles/story.php?s=3416

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2005, 11:50:33 AM »

The only exceptions have been to see either Reno or Wanda Sykes.  Both of these ladies can make me laugh so hard my stomach hurts and I have tears running from my eyes.  Reno is hard to catch anywhere except NYC, but Wanda often tours (she also all over the place on Fox, the Comedy Channel and Leno.)

I also like this Hungarian female stand-up who did a show on the Comedy Channel, but I don't recall her name.  She did this bit about coming out as a lesbian to her mother that was side-splitting.

Reno came to Olympia a couple of years ago and was hysterical!  I haven't seen much of Wanda Sykes, but what I've seen made me laugh.  As for the Hungarian, she's from Canada and her name is Elvira Kurt.  I saw that show, too.  It was a special evening of out gay/lesbian comics.  Quite funny.

Otherwise:
Ant (not DR Ben's Ant)
Ellen DeGeneres
Rosie O'Donnell
Rita Rudner
Bob Smith
Suzanne Westenhoefer
Early Stephen Wright
Kate Clinton (she came to Olympia, too!  She did a bit about loving Listerine Pocket Pack Breath Strips.  After the show, she came out into the lobby and I had some with me so I gave her one!  She loved it.)
And the Blue Collar Comedy Guys (when they're all together...not Larry-the-Cable-Guy by himself)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2005, 12:06:43 PM »

The Hassyampa River:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2005, 12:07:17 PM »

Everyone is reading, but few are posting.  Exactly why is that?

BARRATRY, baby BARRATRY!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up