Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FEELING MY OATS  (Read 18848 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:FEELING MY OATS
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2005, 10:36:38 AM »

That is the funniest thing i've read!

I am still confused, why does the bleach imply that you can use it for colors. You'd think it would say "USE ONLY ON WHITE".  And i'm confused why my beige lines on the comforter didn't turn white!

I used the spray in wash. Didn't work.

If your bleach is "Bleach for Colors," then it's safe for all colors.  But it's not the same as bleach for whites.

As Jose suggested, try a little on an inside seam...or the underside of the bottom hem of the shirt or a sleeve.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2005, 10:39:15 AM »

Can anyone please tell me the dates for HHW gathering in NYC in October?

If memory serves me correctly, DR Jane will be hopping on a train from DC to NYC sometime on the afternoon of Tuesday, October 4.  The festivities will commence that evening and continue through the weekend, at least Saturday, I believe.

The HHW Walking and Eating and Walking and Eating Some More Tour will probably take place on Thursday.  -This way people can catch matinees on Wednesday.

And since it looks like we'll be starting on the Lower East Side and working our way up to Artie's on the West Side...  Wear your comfortable shoes!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2005, 10:40:35 AM »

Thanks DRs RLP and Jose.

It's funny because I would never even have thought to put bleach on anything not white.  But reading the bleach bottle, really made me wonder.

I was thinking of just buying some patch/pasty things at the dollar store and trying that.  Actually the stain is much better.  IT's just unfortunate that I didn't notice it right away, so it was probably put in the dryer. :(

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2005, 10:41:29 AM »

...And don't forget your umbrella!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2005, 10:41:59 AM »

...And wear layers!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2005, 10:42:16 AM »

...And a pair of pants with an elastic waistband!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2005, 10:43:13 AM »

If your bleach is "Bleach for Colors," then it's safe for all colors.  But it's not the same as bleach for whites.

It just says "bleach - whitens and brightens".  I didn't know there was bleach for colors.  Under directions it says something like "use on these fabrics: white or colorfast".

Jennifer

« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2005, 10:44:51 AM »

Okay I feel like a totaly idiot now.  But if I try the bleach on the inside hem, would it turn white right away?

Jennifer

« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2005, 10:46:40 AM »

I have another question for all you food experts.

I am planning desserts for a baby shower, and have been told that quite a few of the guests are diabetic.  Does anybody know any good and easy recipes i might try?

I am assuming that means i must not use any sugar.  But are artificial sweeteners okay?  And are natural sugars (from fruit) okay?

Thanks in advance.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2005, 10:47:22 AM »

DR Jennifer - Some colors are color-fast or at least won't fade out when bleach is applied.  Just depends on the type of dye they used and the fabric you're dealing with.

If it's a light-light blue color, you may want to try pre-treating the spot with a diluted solution of bleach and then washing it right away.  If what caused the stain was something oily, then those are usually the hardest to get out.  And even if you do get the stain out, sometimes the oil ends up "leaving" the original color of the fabric in it's place.  I have many "christened" shirts like that - but at least the accompanying meals were good.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2005, 10:50:10 AM »

It just says "bleach - whitens and brightens".  I didn't know there was bleach for colors.  Under directions it says something like "use on these fabrics: white or colorfast".

Your bleach is, primarily, for whitening.  "Colorfast" is, in my house, certain sets of sheets or towels....fabrics that won't fade or bleed or spot when bleach is properly added to the washer AFTER it is filled with water.

There is a separate bleach for colors product...Clorox makes one.  I'm sure other brands do, too.  You don't have to worry about Bleach for Colors on "colors"....it's safe for almost everything (save madras...don't ever bleach madras!!....and don't ever wash madras with anything else you want to wear).

What does the shirt's label say...if it's colorfast, the shirt label will say so.  Usually, they say "Do Not Bleach".
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 10:51:23 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2005, 10:54:41 AM »

Just received my fifth second chance offer on an eBay item, all of them from scam artists.  I'm telling you - class action lawsuit time - we could make a LOT of money.  Someone find a pro bono lawyer.  Cillaliz?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2005, 10:56:46 AM »

I have another question for all you food experts.

I am planning desserts for a baby shower, and have been told that quite a few of the guests are diabetic.  Does anybody know any good and easy recipes i might try?

I am assuming that means i must not use any sugar.  But are artificial sweeteners okay?  And are natural sugars (from fruit) okay?

Thanks in advance.

Just Google "diabetic desserts" and you'll get a ton of results, suggestions, recipes.

My suggestion would be to make at least one regular dessert and one "diabetic" dessert just so that everyone at the shower can have something.

Fresh fruit is good too - maybe just a simple, seasonal fruit salad.

However, depending on what Type of diabetes the person has, and how they're managing it, they may or may not partake at all.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2005, 10:58:20 AM »

DR Jennifer, you can likely find many dessert recipes for diabetics on the internet.

Along with sugar, diabetics must take care with carbs in general.

It is a good idea to make sure there are some foods such as meats, cheeses, vegis there for the diabetics to chomp on.

Crackers, cakes, cookies are things they would have to avoid, but certainly you can have them the other guests.

I tend to take my own food where ever I go, just in case.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 11:00:49 AM by MBarnum »

Ben

« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2005, 10:59:51 AM »

Even though I told you about various food places, I will miss most of the daytime walk and eat tour on Thursday, October 6. I will probably join you all for dinner at Arties, but work for me in October is VERY busy and I can't take off a day, even for the fun involved. Depending on where you are in the tour I can probably join you for lunch (I'm at 16th Street and 5th Avenue, Ginny knows where I work) but that's it for the daytime activities.

Jennifer

« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2005, 11:01:14 AM »

You guys are so smart. I love you!

Okay it is definitely 100% cotton. But I got it in London.  There isa  triangle with an X thru it, a circle with an X thru it, and a squre with a circle in it with an X thru it.

And yes DR Jose, it is very light blue.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2005, 11:03:09 AM »

Even though I told you about various food places, I will miss most of the daytime walk and eat tour on Thursday, October 6. I will probably join you all for dinner at Arties, but work for me in October is VERY busy and I can't take off a day, even for the fun involved. Depending on where you are in the tour I can probably join you for lunch (I'm at 16th Street and 5th Avenue, Ginny knows where I work) but that's it for the daytime activities.

Well... At least we know where can take a bathroom break now!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2005, 11:04:22 AM »

The person with whom I have an eleven o'clock meeting has not arrived.

Jennifer

« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2005, 11:05:11 AM »

Re: the diabetic desserts, I've found a few at allrecipes.  But so far nothing I like.  I was just wondering if anybody has tried anything that was good.

Also, and DR Jose can perhaps relate, half of the people will be Filipino, and so they most likely will not be happy with non-Filipino food (that is what they like).  I believe for dessert they will eat anything though.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2005, 11:06:21 AM »

Okay it is definitely 100% cotton. But I got it in London.  There isa  triangle with an X thru it, a circle with an X thru it, and a squre with a circle in it with an X thru it.

Here's the guide to the laundry symbols:

http://www.textileaffairs.com/lguide.htm

But it sounds like: Do Not Bleach, Do Not Dry Clean, Do Not Tumble Dry
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2005, 11:06:30 AM »

Visit:  http://www.sdhonline.com/webfiles/9.0company/9.4productcare.html

Check your symbols against the Universal Fabric Care symbols.

Seems to me like your label says do not wash, do not dry clean, do not wear...but that CAN'T be right.

It's probably do not dry clean, do not bleach and do not iron.  That would be the norm, I'd think for a screened T-shirt.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2005, 11:08:48 AM »

Jose and I are each other's doppelgangers today!

:D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2005, 11:11:31 AM »

Just received my fifth second chance offer on an eBay item, all of them from scam artists.  I'm telling you - class action lawsuit time - we could make a LOT of money.  Someone find a pro bono lawyer.  Cillaliz?

I'm confused about this, BK.  I've gotten second chance offers from the original sellers...generally, it's because they have more than one of the items or it's because the high bidder backed out.

Are your offers coming from the seller of the item you bid on, or are these folks hitting on you because they know you're interested in an item and they're claiming to also have one?

To me, "Second Chance" is an EBay seller feature...and you shouldn't be getting them from scammers.

This might be like those PayPal scams folks are getting...

Jennifer

« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2005, 11:11:36 AM »

You guys are too much.

Okay now I want to know which one of you got the symbols right. :)

Jennifer

« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2005, 11:13:29 AM »

Wow, DR Jose, you got it exactly!  And DR RLP you almost did.  I've never known any men who knew this much!

So i'm guessing the no bleach comment means i shouldn't even try your other suggestions?  :'(
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 11:15:17 AM by Jennifer »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2005, 11:15:32 AM »

Also, and DR Jose can perhaps relate, half of the people will be Filipino, and so they most likely will not be happy with non-Filipino food (that is what they like).  I believe for dessert they will eat anything though.

LOL!!!!

;D

Filipinos tend to like very sweet things for dessert - and very starchy/carby too.  Rice flour, rice, cassava root, sweet potatoes, yams, bananas, plantains, sweetened red beans, etc., figure heavily(!) in Filipino desserts.  Most definitely not diabetic-friendly foods.

And even though it may seem like we may eat "anything", we don't.  Just make sure it's either fried, served over shaved ice with condensed milk, served with sugar on the side for dipping (usually with sesame seeds and crushed peanuts mixed in), and/or steamed in banana leaves.  Then "we" will eat it.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2005, 11:20:04 AM »

Wow, DR Jose, you got it exactly!  And DR RLP you almost did.  I've never known any men who knew this much!

So i'm guessing the no bleach comment means i shouldn't even try your other suggestions?  :'(

No...the "no bleach" comments means that the other suggestions are the routes you should investigate.

Read labels of products that are intended to remove stains.  If Spray "n" Wash doesn't work, some other product might.  

It really depends on the stain and what caused it.  Cotton is a durable fabric, but it also absorbs better than any other fabric.  It "may" be that the stain will never come out in a way that is unnoticeable.

But until you try various products -- following the products' instructions carefully -- you won't know what might be achievable.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2005, 11:22:05 AM »

Welcome to Haines His Way!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2005, 11:24:10 AM »

LOL!!!!

;D

Filipinos tend to like very sweet things for dessert - and very starchy/carby too.  Rice flour, rice, cassava root, sweet potatoes, yams, bananas, plantains, sweetened red beans, etc., figure heavily(!) in Filipino desserts.  Most definitely not diabetic-friendly foods.

And even though it may seem like we may eat "anything", we don't.  Just make sure it's either fried, served over shaved ice with condensed milk, served with sugar on the side for dipping (usually with sesame seeds and crushed peanuts mixed in), and/or steamed in banana leaves.  Then "we" will eat it.

;D

My mom and I aren't even going to try to attempt making Filipino food. I think it would be pointless.  Because even the rice we make isn't the same.

We have someone else making a few Filipino dishes.

I'm just trying to decide which desserts to make.  I've been to a few Filipino functions and they seem to have liked fancy pies or cheesecakes or ice cream.  Since it's for my sis, i'm just going to show her the 4 dessert recipes i have, and ask her to choose which 2 she wants.  And then I will also attempt one diabetic friendly one.

Oy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up