Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: IT HAS COME TO MY ATTENTION  (Read 51754 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:IT HAS COME TO MY ATTENTION
« Reply #210 on: May 15, 2007, 01:35:23 PM »

Off I go.  I got me some petunias to plant.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #211 on: May 15, 2007, 01:35:46 PM »

Speaking of, the season premiere will once again be commercial free, so the show is a full hour. A good one, too!

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #212 on: May 15, 2007, 01:38:44 PM »

I have no idea what those shows are.

Sorry. They are shows that several of us have been talking about all season long.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #213 on: May 15, 2007, 01:40:14 PM »

Here are the ABC cancellations, straight out of the VARIETY story:

Gone are "According to Jim," "George Lopez," "Knights of Prosperity," "Big Day," "Daybreak," "The Nine," "Help Me Help You," "In Case of Emergency," "Six Degrees" and "What About Brian."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #214 on: May 15, 2007, 01:47:39 PM »

Me neither. Never seen any of them.

The only series I follow is THE CLOSER, and, well...I kind of have to do that.

"Jericho" is the one I watched.  Jericho is a town in Kansas and the setting of this tale about nuclear explosions taking out some major U.S. cities...all at the hands of an internal terrorist group bent on overthrowing the government and establishing a new one, from what I can gather from information revealed thus far (and, as it turns out, all we'll ever get).

Ultimately, though, it's a tale of survival.  Jericho is an a agricultural town...and its neighbors are desperate for food and trade.  Jericho can barely feed itself and cannot trade as much food as the neighbors want.  So...the neighbors launch a war against them.  

It's a creepy, but very plausible look at how our society may break down in the wake of national disaster on huge scale.

It should have done better, but CBS put the show on a lengthy hiatus, along the lines of what ABC did with "Lost", and "Jericho" lost its audience base (more for some soap-operaish storylines before the hiatus, IMO.).  I didn't watch again until I was channel-surfing a few weeks back and landed on CBS....and found myself riveted by the new conflict (new in light of what had been going on just before it went on hiatus).  The show actually got better and better, but the audience didn't care.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #215 on: May 15, 2007, 01:47:49 PM »

Gone are "According to Jim," "George Lopez," "Knights of Prosperity," "Big Day," "Daybreak," "The Nine," "Help Me Help You," "In Case of Emergency," "Six Degrees" and "What About Brian."

Where they planning on running the remaining episodes of "The Nine" and "Six Degrees"?  I thought they were cancelled weeks ago?  Or are these "final" cancellations?

*I actually liked "Six Degrees".
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #216 on: May 15, 2007, 01:52:21 PM »

I've never heard of ANY of those ABC shows.

Did they publicize this "don't buy gas" boycott?  If I hadn't been told about it, I would never have known.  Certainly it wasn't on the AOL News page at any time, nor the roadrunner news page.  Are they owned by oil companies?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #217 on: May 15, 2007, 01:53:55 PM »

Did they publicize this "don't buy gas" boycott?  If I hadn't been told about it, I would never have known.  Certainly it wasn't on the AOL News page at any time, nor the roadrunner news page.  Are they owned by oil companies?

It was more or less an e-mail, internet, word-of-mouth campaign.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #218 on: May 15, 2007, 02:02:05 PM »

It has come to my attention that today is "don't buy gas day."  I had no idea, but I support it completely.  Are people listening?  No, they're at the gas station topping off their tanks.  Do you know how much money the oil companies would lose if everyone actually DID boycott today?  And tomorrow?  Let me tell you how fast prices would begin to drop.  There is strength in numbers, but people are just hopeless.  They can't go a day without topping off their stupid tanks.  They couldn't get gas yesterday?  Or tomorrow?  It has to be today?
Odds are, they didn't even hear about this.  They've probably been too busy listening to their iPods, or talking on the phone, or doing any of a thousand other things than listening to current events.

Of course, I didn't hear about this, either.  But I don't own a car, or even drive, so I just naturally don't buy gas, on any day.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #219 on: May 15, 2007, 02:05:05 PM »

Sorry to announce this but CBS has canceled JERICHO, CLOSE TO HOME, and THE CLASS.

I just read this in VARIETY.
Der Brucer isn't going to like the first two cancellations.  Both are shows he's enjoyed.

He's not watched the third, that I know of.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #220 on: May 15, 2007, 02:05:46 PM »

It was more or less an e-mail, internet, word-of-mouth campaign.

I will say this was discussed on local TV yesterday.  I folks watched the news, they "might" have retained the information.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #221 on: May 15, 2007, 02:14:19 PM »

Where they planning on running the remaining episodes of "The Nine" and "Six Degrees"?  I thought they were cancelled weeks ago?  Or are these "final" cancellations?

*I actually liked "Six Degrees".

They are final cancellation notices. Shows like SIX DEGREES, THE NINE, etc. were technically "on hiatus" with indefinite plans to return at a future date. This makes it official that they won't be back next season. (MEN IN TREES which is also on hiatus HAS been renewed.)

ABC hasn't annoucned if the shows will be burned off this summer either on-air or on the net or neither. We never did see the last episodes of EYES two seasons ago.

Matt H.

« Reply #222 on: May 15, 2007, 02:16:10 PM »

Der Brucer isn't going to like the first two cancellations.  Both are shows he's enjoyed.

He's not watched the third, that I know of.

THE CLASS is the one I DID watch. Sorry to see it go since it was one of the few shows with a regular gay character in the story mix, and the show was finiding its footing near the end of its run.

It also did about as well as any show has done in the 8:30 time slot. Even TWO AND A HALF MEN, which played there last night for its season finale, lost about 3 million viewers playing at that earlier time against other competition.

Matt H.

« Reply #223 on: May 15, 2007, 02:18:00 PM »

Sorry. Some of them have been around a long time like ACCORDING TO JIM for six seasons and GEORGE LOPEZ for five.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 02:18:13 PM by Matt H. »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #224 on: May 15, 2007, 02:23:00 PM »

There WAS a third coin thrown, though.  I'll have to pull this DVD out and watch it again on my plasma.

I think it happened later.....but I was counting the last time I saw it, and thought I only counted two.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #225 on: May 15, 2007, 02:23:14 PM »

I cleaned the living room this morning, so that chore is behind me. I do have some writing to do, and then will head back down for more viewing.

WBBL.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #226 on: May 15, 2007, 02:26:16 PM »

I've been going over my songs for this musical reading I'm doing in a couple of weeks - I wish I'd printed them out sooner - some of this stuff is totally out of my range, and, for my money, the character would NEVER sing this high, producing that kind of sound.  It would be like having Harold Hill sing high A's.  Why?  So, I've written a strong note to the writer and basically told him I'm completely uncomfortable trying to sing lots of G's and A's and, frankly, even F's.  I asked him if it were going to be possible to transpose my songs - we'll see what he has to say, but if the answer is no, I believe I'll pull out.

Tomovoz

« Reply #227 on: May 15, 2007, 02:29:40 PM »

Have you ever seen the BBC/PBS television miniseries The Choir, a good number of years back?

Ah yes! I remember it well.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #228 on: May 15, 2007, 02:33:12 PM »

A month or two ago, DR Tomovoz mentioned The Puppini Sisters.  Now their CD has been released domestically in the U.S. and is available on Amazon.

Released here at last too DR DtM. Promoted for Mothers' Day.
(My copy was from the UK)
It's a "fun" recording.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #229 on: May 15, 2007, 02:35:33 PM »

LOL! I actually like the movie HEAD, and stole a few editing tricks from it!

Stole - on porpoise?
James Thurber 1957

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #230 on: May 15, 2007, 02:38:06 PM »

I think it happened later.....but I was counting the last time I saw it, and thought I only counted two.

I have no idea what you're talking about, but was it the film about the time travelling Objectivist Monkee in Rome who was also a teacher played by Howard Hesseman:

Three Coins in the Fountain Fountain Fountainhead Head Head of the Class?

Hmmm?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #231 on: May 15, 2007, 02:45:42 PM »

Jodie Foster was the star of PANIC ROOM.

So was Kidman - in the "less pretentious" role as Stephen's Girlfriend on the Phone.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #232 on: May 15, 2007, 02:48:55 PM »

I'm heading down now to get started on lunch. I'm doing spaghetti today.

Franco-American will be so pleased :D

der Brucer

Jennifer

« Reply #233 on: May 15, 2007, 02:50:24 PM »

The only one of these that i am sad about is WHAT ABOUT BRIAN, which i quite liked.

Btw, is ACCORDING TO JIM definitely cancelled?   The article i read said it was not in the fall schdule. But that no decision had been made.

As for CBS, I am sort of sad that CLOSE TO HOME is gone.  It wasn't my favorite show, but it's one i enjoyed when i watched it.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #234 on: May 15, 2007, 02:56:40 PM »

or CSI -- either the  original or Miami?  

Talk about a feast of colors!!!

My favorite visuals! (They should get Chamber of Commerce subsidies.)

I also like SHARK's HD shots of LA

If they did Monk in HD, we could get some Bay flavor in the mix.

der Brucer

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #235 on: May 15, 2007, 03:02:23 PM »

I don't quite get the "don't buy gas" boycott. Wouldn't you just buy gas the next day and the results would be the same?

How about a "don't drive" day? Now *that* would have some impact...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

DERBRUCER

« Reply #236 on: May 15, 2007, 03:04:10 PM »

I meant Martin Short, not Matin Short.  Matin Short is some little French guy.  :)

No, Matin Short is Morning Prayer for folks in a hurry.

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #237 on: May 15, 2007, 03:08:50 PM »

If nobody bought gas for one day - and I mean nobody - what would that cost the oil companies?  Millions, I'd say.

Just spoke to the author, who assured me there would be no problems transposing whatever I needed.  So, about three or four numbers are going down, down, down.  

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #238 on: May 15, 2007, 03:09:26 PM »

I've been going over my songs for this musical reading I'm doing in a couple of weeks - I wish I'd printed them out sooner - some of this stuff is totally out of my range, and, for my money, the character would NEVER sing this high, producing that kind of sound.  It would be like having Harold Hill sing high A's.  Why?  So, I've written a strong note to the writer and basically told him I'm completely uncomfortable trying to sing lots of G's and A's and, frankly, even F's.  I asked him if it were going to be possible to transpose my songs - we'll see what he has to say, but if the answer is no, I believe I'll pull out.

Dear BK -- ABSOLUTELY TRUST your instinct on this.  I just wanted to toss you my 2 cents...... your own gut feelings, as to what does and doesn't fit your voice, its range, and its color, I feel are spot on the mark in this instance.  

That inherent instinct that you posess, has served you very well in producing other singers, and even guiding the career of Guy Haines.  So don't doubt your inner feeling this time.

Ah haz spoken !

DERBRUCER

« Reply #239 on: May 15, 2007, 03:11:24 PM »

And with all the sprinkling sugar that ended up on the floor, I need to sweep that up before the ants come back.  And they will come back.

From PETA News:

Callous NYC keyboard artist deprives living creatures of necessary sustenance - SHAME!

der Brucer
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Up