Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: GENERAL UNEASE  (Read 15143 times)

Ginny

Re:GENERAL UNEASE
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2006, 01:15:39 PM »

I want one too and we can wear them to Carvel's-I don't need Jose's advice for this one. :)

Keith says ice cream is one of the five main food groups.

What are the other four?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2006, 01:16:47 PM »

In honor of page 4, I need to dance out of here to pick up my mom and my aunt.

Bye for now.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2006, 01:19:21 PM »

What are the other four?

popcorn
brussel sprouts
peanut butter
tofu

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2006, 01:21:21 PM »

I started the afternoon with the HBO documentary detailing the Rosie and Kelli O'Donnell cruise for families and friends of gay folk. Surprisingly moving in many spots, and one can understand how special these people feel surrounded by love and support and nonjudgmental people. When they reach Nassau where a couple of churches are staging very ugly gay protest rallies, the idyll of the cruise is shattered momentarily by rank hatred and prejudice. Still, I quite enjoyed the ninety minutes.

DR George, the DVD was dubbed while I watched, and it's set to go out into the mail to you tomorrow.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2006, 01:27:53 PM »

Next, I watched the musical version of GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS on laserdisc.

This has to be the weirdest photography ever for a big budget roadshow musical. I can understand how the screen goes to soft focus in MAME when Lucy Ball has a close-up; they were trying to disguise her true age. But unless this is just a miserable laserdisc transfer (and parts of it are stunningly colorful and crisp) isolated scenes are washed out and soft, and I don't just think it's a bad print used for the transfer. It looks like the focus of the photography was softened, but I can't figure out any reason why particular shots were done that way and not entire sequences. It seems like haphazard decisions were being made on the fly. Of course, I've never thought Herb Ross was that great a director anyway.

This isn't the first time I watched this laserdisc, but it's the first time on the bigger screen TV, and I guess that's why I noticed it this time and not the other dozen times I've watched the film.

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2006, 01:31:15 PM »

Since I had about 20 minutes left before getting on-line, I put in another widescreen movie I hadn't watched on the bigger screen TV - HOW THE WEST WAS WON.

Imagine my astonishment to note that this DVD was NOT enhanced for widescreen TVs! Wonder why I had never noticed that before? Big, big disappointment about that. This is a film desperately in need of a new DVD transfer. The print they used was very dirty, so there are spots and speckles all over the place. And the sound is only Dolby Prologic which also deserves a much fuller sound design for DVD.

Matt H.

« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2006, 01:32:16 PM »

Right now, I'm dubbing over the Margaret O'Brien version of THE SECRET GARDEN to a DVD. Only saw it recently and rather liked it, so I get it oin the DVR this morning and am duping it as I type.

Cillaliz

« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2006, 01:46:26 PM »

What a relief!  I discovered 3 business suits that fit me. Now I know I'll be ready for the trial.  Everything has gone casual for day to day businessm so I normally wear a jacket and pants (and shirt and shoes) to court. But I think jurors expect a suit. So tomorrow I shall be suited.

Cillaliz

« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2006, 01:47:38 PM »

It's a cloudy but not bad day here. Looks pretty breezy. I haven't been out since the ice cream this noon. I'm thinking I don't want to cook tonight, but since I don't have much of an appetite, not sure what to eat

Cillaliz

« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2006, 01:49:18 PM »

I don't know why I have "Home on the Range" running through my head. But growing up I always thought "where seldom is heard a discouraging word" meant that on the range the word seldom was considered to be discouraging.

Cillaliz

« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2006, 01:50:32 PM »

Oh lets make it 100 posts

Cillaliz

« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2006, 01:50:53 PM »

Hi elmore, how are you today?

MBarnum

« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2006, 01:55:02 PM »

DR Cillaliz,

I am so sorry about the scary time with Nilla! Good vibes being sent that it is nothing serious.

Matt H.

« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2006, 01:56:05 PM »

Heading down now to get started cleaning the hall bath.

WBBL.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #104 on: April 09, 2006, 01:58:35 PM »

Cillaliz, good trial vibes!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: April 09, 2006, 02:18:13 PM »

Have written two pages, jogged, and am now going to help Miss Tammy Minoff with a project.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #106 on: April 09, 2006, 02:27:06 PM »

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Damn TAXES!

Sigh.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #107 on: April 09, 2006, 02:27:35 PM »

Have written two pages, jogged, and am now going to help Miss Tammy Minoff with a project.

Has the sense of "unease" abated?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

FJL

« Reply #108 on: April 09, 2006, 02:28:38 PM »

Tax season is drawing to a close, with this being the next to last working weekend for many months.  The timing of the holidays is particularly bad this year, with the Orthodox Jewish co-worker with whom I share a workload being out Wednesday, Thursday and Friday because of the main holy days of Passover and then also on Saturday because it's Sabbath.  And many people will be taking off Good Friday and Easter Sunday.

FJL

« Reply #109 on: April 09, 2006, 02:38:52 PM »

Skip's off to see CARNIVAL! at Paper Mill tonight.  I saw it on Thursday night, but we tend not to do this kind of road trip together because of our preference not to leave the dogs alone for the seven hours or so such a trip takes as a whole.  Despite tax season, or perhaps because of it, I've still gotten to see a good deal of theater this past week.  

Went to see our dear neighbor Yolande Bavan in BERNARDA ALBA at Lincoln Center on Friday night, and she's still got everything she had so many years ago as a singer and performer; plus by happy coincidence another dear neighbor Bertilla Baker happened to be going on in one of the other roles that night, so we cabbed home with Yolande and Bertilla, and had a lovely late-night drink at Le Madeleine with Yolande.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 05:50:41 PM by FJL »

FJL

« Reply #110 on: April 09, 2006, 02:40:42 PM »

Cillaliz, wishing you all the best both for the trial and for Nilla.

Tomovoz

« Reply #111 on: April 09, 2006, 03:05:29 PM »

David Shiner played the role on Broadway and Cathy Rigby played it on tour.  It looks like local productions have the option of casting either a man or woman (one of the few times where that is an option), but need to get the score in the right keys.
Cathy played it on Broadway too as did Rosie!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #112 on: April 09, 2006, 03:14:40 PM »

G & S.
Patience is my favourite of the ones I have seen.
I've seen professional productions of Patience, Pirates and Pinafore. I've seen non professional productions of Pinafore and Pirates too

I saw the "Black Mikado" in London many years ago (mid 70's) and remember it as being fun. I've not really enjoyed Mikado much otherwise.

I have Pinafore and Jury on DVD (The Anthony Warlow versions) but have as yet not watched them. I also have the video of Pirates (with Linda & Kevin) and the DVD of the stage show.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Cillaliz

« Reply #113 on: April 09, 2006, 03:32:21 PM »

Thanks FJL, MBarnum and Jane. I'm feeling much better.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #114 on: April 09, 2006, 03:50:33 PM »

Taxes done for another year!

:P :P :P  :( :( :(  >:( >:( >:(  :-\ :-\ :-\

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #115 on: April 09, 2006, 03:50:52 PM »

Sigh.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2006, 04:01:13 PM »

Cil! What's your case??? Are you allowed to tell???
PennyO

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #117 on: April 09, 2006, 04:12:06 PM »

DR George - your Wicked theater party with co-workers sounds like fun.  Your library must have a completely different "corporate culture" than mine - I can't imagine anything like that materializing among my co-workers.  In fact, when someone mentions corporate culture, I say, "We have none."

Anyway, you'll probably see the same Wicked company we saw last month in Cincinnati.  It was outstanding!

I can't wait!  But I must...it's not coming until September.  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #118 on: April 09, 2006, 04:24:26 PM »

I started the afternoon with the HBO documentary detailing the Rosie and Kelli O'Donnell cruise for families and friends of gay folk. Surprisingly moving in many spots, and one can understand how special these people feel surrounded by love and support and nonjudgmental people. When they reach Nassau where a couple of churches are staging very ugly gay protest rallies, the idyll of the cruise is shattered momentarily by rank hatred and prejudice. Still, I quite enjoyed the ninety minutes.

DR George, the DVD was dubbed while I watched, and it's set to go out into the mail to you tomorrow.

Again, Thanks!! ;D I saw a clip of Rosie on "Good Morning America," talking about that incident.  She said that Kelli (her wife) advised her not to get off the boat.  Also on the cruise was Malcolm X's eldest daughter, who Rosie knows, and she went and spoke on Rosie's behalf in support of the cruise and (I'm guessing) gay people/parents.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #119 on: April 09, 2006, 04:26:42 PM »

Cathy played it on Broadway too as did Rosie!

True!  Very true! :D

I saw the national tour with Cathy Rigby and thoroughly enjoyed it. ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up