Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: IN LIVING COLOR  (Read 18903 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re: IN LIVING COLOR
« Reply #180 on: November 13, 2008, 04:56:40 PM »

The Biggest Loser

SPOILERS

The current season of "The Biggest Loser" was less interesting, to me, in its first several weeks than has been true of previous seasons, because the producers did another "couples" show...either husband/wife or parent/child couples.  Bob Harper had the husband/wife couples and Jillian took the father/son, father/daughter, mother/daughter couples.

Things, however, have taken a turn toward the nasty in recent weeks, and -- natcherly! -- I've found myself anticipating each show.  First and foremost, there is one contestant playing now whom I detest beyond all measure.  Her name is....Heba!  The way the competition has run this season is that at first teams played against teams and the team that "lost" the weigh-in would vote out one of its couples.  After a a couple of weeks during which a two parent/child teams had been evicted, they changed things up.  They then forced the couple with the lowest weight-loss to send one of the couple home.  This meant that a father and daughter had to decide which would go home (the father went), and then a husband and wife had to decide which would go home (the husband went).  This latter couple -- Ed and Heba (!) -- had been great friends with another couple -- Brady and Vicky.  Heba, Brady and Vicky decided to "run" the game.  One of the challenges open to everyone was an opportunity to change the game -- to wit, they put out massive amounts of donuts and brownies and cookies and Reese's peanut butter cups -- and whoever consumed the most calories would be able to change the game.  This would come with the winner being able to reorganize the two teams to suit her needs.

Well, the fact was that most of them didn't wish to face the consequences of eating the most calories when they were trying to lose weight.  Heba, controlling person that she is,  stood up and volunteered to take the fall, saying she would be fair.  She wondered if anyone minded.  No one said anything.  The lights were turned off and Heba began eating.  Then, she stopped and listened because she heard someone else eating.  It was Phil of the couple Phil and Amy.  As he later said, he didn't agree to anything.  He was waiting for the lights to go out.  And a third player -- Amy of the mother/daughter team Amy and Shellay -- also joined in and ate something.   As it turned out, Phil stopped eating too soon and Heba beat him.  And Heba was a vengeful goddess.  To punish them, she split up Amy and her mother and then split up Phil and his wife.   To her trainer's utter horror, she sent Phil to the "black" team (Jillian's team), giving that team a huge advantage in posting large weight-loss numbers.  In subsequent episodes, Heba did her utmost to vilify Phil and to create situations that she instigated.  She lied and lied about him being mean to her, etc., etc.  The first person evicted when Heba's team lost a weigh-in was Phil's wife.  She justified her actions by saying that her partner was gone and Amy was no better than she was.  One week later, a dejected Phil (he had lost more weight than any of his teammates but not enough to keep his team safe) was voted out.

Last night, all ejected players returned for another weigh-in and a challenge that would see "one" of them return to the game.  Vicky, Brady's wife, spoke out against Phil as being someone she could not stand to see get back in the game. I LOATHE Vicky.  She's nearly as bad as Heba.  Anyway,  Phil's wife was hurt by this comment and Phil was, too.  He confronted Vicky and told her he didn't care what she thought of him but that she shouldn't have hurt his wife.  Brady came storming over and saying he'd like to knock Phil's block off...blah, blah, blah.  And Phil hasn't done anything to any of them except to suggest one time that they should rid themselves of Heba's manipulation of them.

Unfortunately, Heba's husband Ed won the challenge and was back in the game in a "blue" shirt with Bob as his trainer.  Although last night marked the end of team competition -- meaning they would all play as individuals -- the fact was that five of them were from the "blue" team and three were from the "black team" and, traditionally, such folks vote the party line when it comes to evicting someone when a member of their former team is against the member of another former team.   Last night, though, things began steaming up when the three ladies of the "black" team all recorded respectable weight losses.  Ed, who was immune, and whose weight loss would not help anyone, had lost several pounds beyond what he weighed when he rejoined the game just days before.  As the "blue" ladies weighed in, one of the "black" team's players kept dropping down, down, down until it was plain she would be in the bottom two.  The final weigh-in was Brady, Vicky's husband.  He is a big man and is capable of losing in double digits every week.  Last week he lost 13 pounds.  Last night, he needed to lose 8 pounds to stay above the line.  He lost 6.

Even then, he and his "blue" team thought he was safe.  There were two "black" votes against him and four "blue" votes for him.

Or were there?  Amy, the only unattached member of Brady's "blue" team, had been warned by her mother to look out for her best interests.  Amy knew that if it had been her against Brady, she would lose.  If it had been her against any of the other three on the "blue" team, she would lose.  So, Amy voted Brady OUT. 

It was tied, 3-3.  The automatic tie-breaker in "indivdiual play" is that the person with the lowest amount of weight loss (based on body fat loss) leaves.  Brady was that person!

This was a wonderful conclusion to an UGLY episode.  But...the UGLINESS will continue next week because Vicky is going to go ballistic on Amy for her treachery.  I await this episode with bated breath!

End SPOILER
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 06:30:24 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #181 on: November 13, 2008, 05:18:30 PM »

DR Ron, how long did that post take you to write ;D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #182 on: November 13, 2008, 05:25:02 PM »

DR Ron, how long did that post take you to write ;D

Mere minutes, my dear...mere minutes.  Or 15 or so....
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #183 on: November 13, 2008, 05:34:27 PM »

;D

td

• td
« Reply #184 on: November 13, 2008, 05:54:45 PM »

T.O.D.:
I Got Lost In His Arms
Old-Fashioned Wedding
You're Just In Love
God Bless America
Please Say You'll Come Back to Me
White Christmas
Happy New Year's Blues

Oh, there are just so many. . .time to pull out the BK-produced UNSUNG IRVING BERLIN
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #185 on: November 13, 2008, 06:07:07 PM »

I was totally clueless about what the Annette tin would be all about.  I thought it would be a series of vignettes from several years of "The Mickey Mouse Club", plus songs, etc.

Turns out it's a 20-episode series about Annette moving in with an aunt and uncle!  You could've knocked me over with a feather.

I have no memory of that series.

Darlene was a real bitch to her in that.

No, Roberta Shore.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #186 on: November 13, 2008, 06:30:45 PM »

I now have ordered M SQUAD, the entire series (1957 to 1960) from DeepDiscountDVD using the 25% sale.

They are temporarily out of stock, but oh well. I wouldn't have time to watch it anytime soon, anyhow and I could not beat the price.

(althought I did get through all of Adam-12 season 2 in one week).

Do they offer that in Hindi?
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #187 on: November 13, 2008, 06:31:16 PM »

I was totally clueless about what the Annette tin would be all about.  I thought it would be a series of vignettes from several years of "The Mickey Mouse Club", plus songs, etc.

Turns out it's a 20-episode series about Annette moving in with an aunt and uncle!  You could've knocked me over with a feather.

I have no memory of that series.

Darlene was a real bitch to her in that.

No, Roberta Shore.

Oh, the mirth that ensues when folks don't catch up before posting!  :)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #188 on: November 13, 2008, 06:31:54 PM »

Birthday wishes to DH Richard!
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #189 on: November 13, 2008, 06:34:04 PM »

I hope DR Vixmom is having a nice evening with the family.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #190 on: November 13, 2008, 06:34:57 PM »

Breaking news--Criterion is having a 40% off sale through November 23, so that would probably be the best place to stock up on those titles.  No code needed, and shipping is free if you get over $50 (2-3 discs).

When will they acknowledge this on the site?  Or, is there a link you can provide?

It's already there--just look at the MSRP and then the "Criterion Store Price" and you'll see everything is discounted 40%.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #191 on: November 13, 2008, 06:35:28 PM »

Oh, the mirth that ensues when folks don't catch up before posting!  :)

I used to delete them when I came upon the duplicate, but I found I was losing three or four posts a day.
“One thing’s universal,

Laura

« Reply #192 on: November 13, 2008, 06:42:41 PM »

Does anyone here remember a series with Annette with a "Laura" who was a mean girl?
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #193 on: November 13, 2008, 06:43:12 PM »

I like the song "Always" and I like the story that goes with it.

Laura

« Reply #194 on: November 13, 2008, 06:43:34 PM »

Thanks for the photo of Toby and the monkey, Ann.  :)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #195 on: November 13, 2008, 06:46:38 PM »

I was a bit surprised to see Armageddon among the Criterion collection.
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #196 on: November 13, 2008, 06:47:41 PM »

I just turned my librarian friend Bob onto one of the greatest spoken word recordings. He just wrote me about how fabulous it is.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #197 on: November 13, 2008, 06:49:38 PM »

I just turned my librarian friend Bob onto one of the greatest spoken word recordings. He just wrote me about how fabulous it is.

Did you provide him with the special brownies required for listening?
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #198 on: November 13, 2008, 06:50:00 PM »

How old is that cover?

Jane

« Reply #199 on: November 13, 2008, 06:51:14 PM »

I was enjoying MY OWN WORST ENEMY & Christian Slater's performance.

Laura

« Reply #200 on: November 13, 2008, 06:52:10 PM »

So today I get a phone call from the printer company rep, and she wants to meet with us. Seems they can't get the parts to fix the printer we have been paying a service contract on (yes, I know that sentence is a grammatical mess).

Laura

« Reply #201 on: November 13, 2008, 06:52:39 PM »

That looks like a fun recording.

Jane

« Reply #202 on: November 13, 2008, 06:55:45 PM »

DR Laura I hope the printer company does makes up for their error.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #203 on: November 13, 2008, 06:57:35 PM »

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Laura

« Reply #204 on: November 13, 2008, 06:59:15 PM »

I hope so, too, Jane. It was a big investment for us, and we've had it less than three years.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #205 on: November 13, 2008, 07:04:03 PM »

DR Laura I hope the printer company does makes up for their error.

Definitely!  Hope you get a whole new printer! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #206 on: November 13, 2008, 07:09:13 PM »

'night

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #207 on: November 13, 2008, 07:12:17 PM »

It's one of the greatest, and funniest, spoken word recordings done while Caedmon Records flourished. I'm not the reviewer who wrote this but it's pretty accurate:

The music is by Hershey Kay, orchestrator of Gottschalk and many other things, and the actors are just superlative. Cyril Ritchard is the quintessence of wit; Celeste Holme I last heard as Dona Ana in Shaw's DON JUAN IN HELL. You know Boris Karloff as Frankenstein's monster--imagine him ominously reciting "There was a crooked man," without ever showing you that he has his tongue in his cheek. Now imagine him singing "A Frog He Would A-wooing Go," or pleading with Mrs. Bond's recalcitrant ducks to come out of the pond and be killed for dinner. The familiar and unfamiliar are both included, and because of the talent and intelligence of the participants, the result is simply delicious. I wish the publisher would re-issue it as a CD, but I'm grateful they haven't let it go out of print.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #208 on: November 13, 2008, 07:29:16 PM »

It's one of the greatest, and funniest, spoken word recordings done while Caedmon Records flourished. I'm not the reviewer who wrote this but it's pretty accurate:

The music is by Hershey Kay, orchestrator of Gottschalk and many other things, and the actors are just superlative. Cyril Ritchard is the quintessence of wit; Celeste Holme I last heard as Dona Ana in Shaw's DON JUAN IN HELL. You know Boris Karloff as Frankenstein's monster--imagine him ominously reciting "There was a crooked man," without ever showing you that he has his tongue in his cheek. Now imagine him singing "A Frog He Would A-wooing Go," or pleading with Mrs. Bond's recalcitrant ducks to come out of the pond and be killed for dinner. The familiar and unfamiliar are both included, and because of the talent and intelligence of the participants, the result is simply delicious. I wish the publisher would re-issue it as a CD, but I'm grateful they haven't let it go out of print.

And TIME Magazine in the Dec 19, 1960, issue said of it:

Mother Goose (Cyril Ritchard, Celeste Holm, Boris Karloff; Caedmon). Arch without being cute, this trio skips through the old rhymes like verbal jump ropes. In gleeful self-amazement, Actor Ritchard triple-tongues Peter Piper's pickled peppers ("I didn't break down, you see"). Hershy Kay's musical punctuation is pert and pertinent, unfailingly delights, never intrudes.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #209 on: November 13, 2008, 07:34:03 PM »

Well, since we're so close...
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up