Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THUS SPAKE BK  (Read 28568 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THUS SPAKE BK
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2005, 09:06:14 AM »

DR Jose, the Biblical epic you're thinking about is John Huston's THE BIBLE ...in the beginning.

It is available on DVD.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2005, 09:06:59 AM »

And I'm surprised Warners hasn't given us MGM's QUO VADIS on DVD. Seems like I read somewhere that it needs a lot of restoration work done on it.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2005, 09:07:33 AM »

I'm having an unhappy-customer-Home-Shopping-Network" morning.

A few weeks back, I ordered two cell phones...one for me, and one for my mother (as a Christmas gift)...and I was most explicit that one phone was for South Carolina and should be assigned a South Carolina area code/phone number.  I was assured there was no problem.

But what did I get?

You betcha -- two Oakland CA area code 510 numbers.

And HSN says I can call a couple of numbers and try to straighten it out, or I can send the phone back.  They also said I should have had the one phone mailed directly to my mother IF I had wanted a SC area code/number assigned.

I suggested they SHOULD have instructed their staff better when taking orders as I was told all was kosher.

I may send BOTH phones back if this evening's telephone marathon trying to sort it out fails.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 09:10:15 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2005, 09:07:53 AM »

[move=down,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Page 4 Dance!!![/move]

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2005, 09:08:33 AM »

DRMBarnum, I'm surprised your favorite bible flic isn't George Rivero's ADAM AND EVE!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2005, 09:09:11 AM »

Oh, DR Ron, that kind of thing drives me simply bonkers. I hate trying to sort out something like that which on the surface should be very simple to do and, of course, in reality becomes this BIG DEAL on their end.

Bah!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 09:09:47 AM by Matt H. »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2005, 09:10:03 AM »

DR Jose... can you tell me anything aboutr Lady in White?  Synopsis etc?  Also, is the show  'family friendly'?  I've been getting playbill.ciom offers for tickets and have been thinking about getting some...

Hmm...

I'd say DR Matthew - where has he been? - would be a better source of info on the show.

I don't know much about the show.  I've heard the score.  Eh...

However, I do have some friends in the show - onstage, backstage and under it (in the pit)...

In any case...

I know the source material.  I'd say it's family-friendly, but it may not be all that interesting to the "average" kidster.  However, since the vixter is most certainly not the average kidster... and since she recognizes the suspense in Phantom of the Opera...

Check out:

www.womaninwhitethemusical.com

*Oh, and, btw, I believe DR Tomovoz walked out of the show when he saw it in London last year.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2005, 09:10:10 AM »

DR Jose... can you tell me anything aboutr Lady in White?  Synopsis etc?  Also, is the show  'family friendly'?  I've been getting playbill.ciom offers for tickets and have been thinking about getting some...

DRvixmom, if you have Netflix, rent the DVD of the PBS/Masterpiece Theatre production of THE LADY IN WHITE, which is quite wonderful.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #98 on: October 24, 2005, 09:10:38 AM »

I've been mulling whether to take in George Clooney's GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK this afternoon. I really want to see it, and the theater should not be full on a Monday afternoon (I heard the weekend crowds were sellouts).

Matt H.

« Reply #99 on: October 24, 2005, 09:13:12 AM »

Musical mysteries have never had an easy time of it. REDHEAD won the Tony and ran a year (but no revivals anywhere) while BAKER STREET ran six months and flopped. DROOD was great fun, but it, too, closed in the red after a year and a half.

And we all know the fate of NICK AND NORA.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #100 on: October 24, 2005, 09:13:16 AM »

Oh, DR Ron, that kind of thing drives me simply bonkers. I hate trying to sort out something like that which on the surface should be very simple to do and, of course, in reality becomes this BIG DEAL on their end.

Bah!

Every year, I give the women in my family (8 of them) a piece of seasonal jewelry...usually a pin.

This year, I ordered 8 Christopher Radko "Father Christmas" pins...from HSN, mind you.

I received 8 boxes, with 8 pouches...inside those 8 pouches were the following:

5 Father Christmas pins
4 wreath pins
4 bracelets
1 large Christmas tree pin
1 small Christmas tree pin
1 small Snowman pin.

16 pieces of jewelry, only 5 of which I wanted/ordered.

11 pieces are enroute to their Virginia offices while 3 "Father Christmas" pins are, allegedly, wending their way toward me.

All the boxes bore the item code number for the "Father Christmas" pin.  All the pouches bore the item code number for the "Father Christmas" pin.

I think I may have been shipped someone's "stash."

Sigh.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 09:14:51 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2005, 09:15:38 AM »

If I don't go to the movies this afternoon, I'll have LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT to catch up with. And I'll see it tonight if I don't see it this afternoon.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2005, 09:15:57 AM »

DR Jose, the Biblical epic you're thinking about is John Huston's THE BIBLE ...in the beginning.

It is available on DVD.

Thanks.  I thought it was called "The Bible".  -I just didn't think it had such a "simple" title.

*Of course, the brief nudity during the "Creation" always caused lots of stifled giggles in class.
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2005, 09:16:02 AM »

DR Danise, Peter Ustinov played the Emperor Nero in QUO VADIS. Nominated for an Oscar for it, too.

I think I have my Emperors mixed up.  I was thinking of that skinny guy with the high screeming voice.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2005, 09:16:27 AM »

Musical mysteries have never had an easy time of it. REDHEAD won the Tony and ran a year (but no revivals anywhere) while BAKER STREET ran six months and flopped. DROOD was great fun, but it, too, closed in the red after a year and a half.

I scored REDHEAD for Goodspeed in 1998.

Matt H.

« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2005, 09:17:22 AM »

I have no received a shipping confirmation from Amazon about THE WIZARD OF OZ, BEWITCHED-Season 2, or anything else I pre-ordered last week.

I should have known there would be a run on OZ sets. Argh!

Matt H.

« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2005, 09:18:24 AM »

I scored REDHEAD for Goodspeed in 1998.

How was the show received without Verdon to do the role tailored for her?

Thanks for the info.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #107 on: October 24, 2005, 09:18:28 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam - Have you checked your horoscope and/or bio-rhythm lately?  Maybe your in a low "shopping cycle".

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #108 on: October 24, 2005, 09:20:16 AM »

My Fiddler on the Roof review  (if anyone cares)

First of all, I was very taken by the set.  I liked having the orchestra upstage " in the woods" and the whole staging just really captured the "story telling" feel of the show for me.

Harvey Feirstein was very good.... I spent a good part of the second act with tears rolling down my face. the only issue I had with him is that I "lost" some of his dialogue  because of his low rgravelly voice...I think I have to get my hearing checked  I think I may be losing my abiooltity to hear lower register sounds.

Rosie O'Donnell  brought absolutely nothing to role I am sorry to say, she wasn't  bad, it wasn't like she ruined the show, but she didn't do anything to enhance it either.

The dancing was spectatcular.  

We had great seats row P orchestra right on the aisle and short people sittingin front of us.   The only bad thing was a lady behind us who kept talking, comparing the play to the movie.  At one point she was getting ridiculously loud and the man sitting next to me and I both turned around and glared at her at the same moment.  She stared back  and then said to her son  "What's their problem?"  he replied (to his credit) "I think they want to hear the show, Ma. Can we talk about this later?"

She sat in sullen silence the rest of the show but it was silence bless the boy!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

MBarnum

« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2005, 09:20:49 AM »

DRMBarnum, I'm surprised your favorite bible flic isn't George Rivero's ADAM AND EVE!

Oh,  I forgot about that one! I wonder how many Church ladies gasped when that film was inadvertently ordered and played in the basement theater!! LOL!

Ginny

« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2005, 09:20:56 AM »

Here during my lunch hour and glad to see Danise and get a good report from DR Michael S.

Good weather vibes for DR Jane's nephew, too!

« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 09:23:13 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2005, 09:23:50 AM »

DR Vixmom, no new car window yet. Speedy Glass ordered the wrong window. I will likely have one installed this Friday.

MBarnum

« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2005, 09:24:47 AM »

Good safety vibes to our Floridian DRs!

And to most of the cast of Wild Women of Wongo, who still reside in that area!  :o

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #113 on: October 24, 2005, 09:24:56 AM »

DR vixmom - Yep - Mr. Fierstein's voice just seems to get lower and lower and lower... and gravel-ier.

It's said that dogs can hear very high-pitched sounds.   Who hears the sounds at the other end of the spectrum?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: October 24, 2005, 09:26:03 AM »

How was the show received without Verdon to do the role tailored for her?

Thanks for the info.

It's a rather lousy show!  Albert Hague was very complimentary to me, but I kept wishing the director Christopher Ashley had looked at earlier drafts to see how it was changed to accommodate Verdon, who was so exhausted by the role that she would regularly drop numbers each night.  I would have liked to see the Bea Lillie script, where I suspect the mystery is better and there are fewer production numbers.  Goodspeed didn't have enough dancers to pull off some numbers, but Marilyn Cooper was wonderful as one of the ditsy aunts who run the waxworks exhibit.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2005, 09:26:58 AM »

Oh,  I forgot about that one! I wonder how many Church ladies gasped when that film was inadvertently ordered and played in the basement theater!! LOL!

I'm sure they admired the garden.  It's very Laura Ashley.

Ginny

« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2005, 09:29:14 AM »

DR TCB - Congratulations on your awards!

DR Jose - Thank you for the thorough tour listings.  I'm looking forward to virtually reliving Oct. 5.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jason

« Reply #117 on: October 24, 2005, 09:31:57 AM »

It's said that dogs can hear very high-pitched sounds.   Who hears the sounds at the other end of the spectrum?

Chorus boys.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #118 on: October 24, 2005, 09:35:27 AM »

Chorus boys.

HA!

-That reminds of an answer/punchline to another "question":  Summer Stock!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 09:36:06 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #119 on: October 24, 2005, 09:37:01 AM »

Well, I believe we have a quorum on the forum right now!  -Too bad BK isn't here to open up the chat room.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up