Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THUS SPAKE BK  (Read 28605 times)

Ginny

Re:THUS SPAKE BK
« Reply #120 on: October 24, 2005, 09:37:11 AM »

DR vixmom - I did enjoy your Fiddler review and was glad to hear that you and The Vixter ate at Barrymore's.

DH Richard and I had a musical Sunday afternoon.  We went to the second show in our Broadway subscription, The Ten Tenors.  It's hardly what I'd call a musical, but it was fun - certainly not what I expected.  Actually, I'd like to hear those guys sing without all the accompaniment and amplification.  It was the first of our shows in the Victoria Theatre and our balcony seats are very uncomfortable.  It's a beautifully refurbished place, but there's no leg room.  Richard was especially miserable, but at least he had an aisle seat.

When the show was over, we joined his Dayton shape-note singing group for the second half of their October gathering.  It was my first time attending a sing and I think I'll leave the shape-note singing to Richard.  I found it very confusing and loud, which irritated the tinnitus I have in my right ear.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #121 on: October 24, 2005, 09:38:45 AM »

TOD:

The One, the Only, The Ten Commandments.
I thought that was about a supersized doo-wop group.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #122 on: October 24, 2005, 09:45:31 AM »

DR TCB - Congratulations on your awards!

DR Jose - Thank you for the thorough tour listings.  I'm looking forward to virtually reliving Oct. 5.

Thank You.

...And I listed the stores in 'walking order' - for the most part.

Oh, and here's the "basic" plan for the tour.

HHW Walking and Eating Tour

Start: Rockefeller Center.

Train down to Lower East Side, F or V.

-Lower East Side/2 Avenue Station - Exit at 1st and Houston.

-Head East on Houston
-Right on Essex

Economy Candy

-Left on Delancey
-Right on Norfolk to Grand

The Donut Plant - 379 Grand

-Continue West on Grand
-Left on Essex
-Right on Canal

Chinatown - Mulberry & Canal

-Right on Mulberry

Little Italy - Grand & Mulberry

-Left on Broome

SoHo

-Right on W Broadway
-Right on Spring
-Left on Greene

Apple Store, SoHo - Prince and Greene

-Continue North on Greene
-Left on Houston
-Right on Thompson

The Village

-Left on Bleecker
-Left on 7th
-Left on Christopher
-Right on Bleecker

-Right on 8th Ave
-Left on 14th
-Right on 9th Ave

Chelsea Market

-Continue North on 9th Ave**
-Right on 23rd
-Left on 8th

Midtown/Theatre District

Columbus Circle

Upper West Side

Finish: La Cocina

**Or, head back East on 14th to the Subway station.  Take the A/C/E to Port Authority/Times Square.  Head over to Fred & Skip's place for knosh and drink.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2005, 09:48:31 AM »

When the show was over, we joined his Dayton shape-note singing group for the second half of their October gathering.  It was my first time attending a sing and I think I'll leave the shape-note singing to Richard.  I found it very confusing and loud, which irritated the tinnitus I have in my right ear.

Shape-note singing has always fascinated me.  However, like yourself, it can be a bit loud and "hard" on my ears.  The harmonies are very "cool", but all those open intervals - fourths and fifths - can start my ears ringing too.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #124 on: October 24, 2005, 09:49:52 AM »

Or, head back East on 14th to the Subway station.  Take the A/C/E to Port Authority/Times Square.  Head over to Fred & Skip's place for knosh and drink.  :)

A great "intermission" to a wonderful production!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #125 on: October 24, 2005, 09:50:46 AM »

Well, I need to get ready to head out and run some errands...

Due to the "efficiency" of the USPS, a lot of my mail from the past six weeks has NOT been getting forwarded to my new address.  So, apparently, I have a TON of mail waiting for me at my old apartment.  Thankfully, most of the important stuff, I handle online, but there's still lots of snail mail to deal with.  So...  Guess I'll be spending the rest of the afternoon going through all of it...  Can you say, "paper shredder"?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #126 on: October 24, 2005, 09:51:36 AM »

Oh...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #127 on: October 24, 2005, 09:52:05 AM »

Shape-note singing has always fascinated me.  However, like yourself, it can be a bit loud and "hard" on my ears.  The harmonies are very "cool", but all those open intervals - fourths and fifths - can start my ears ringing too.

Well, it's definitely for the participants, not for an audience.  I'm just not sophisticated enough, musically, for it to speak to me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #128 on: October 24, 2005, 10:00:17 AM »

...I couldn't help but notice that when the Invisible Man first went invisible and removed his clothing, he was going commando. ...
Something about this, in combo with your earlier link to the dolls, got me to wondering:

Does GI Joe go commando?

I never had one of them, so I really don't know, myself.

If he does, is there anything there?

It would explain why he has to carry that big gun, if he doesn't.

8) :o
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Danise

« Reply #129 on: October 24, 2005, 10:16:27 AM »

VixMom, I liked the stage set up of Fiddler as well.  I forgot to mention that.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one in tears the almost the whole second act.  I thought it was because I was so tired.

Gotta go get supper going.  It's slow roasted chicken for us today.  It will help to warm up the house.

Laters!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #130 on: October 24, 2005, 10:22:47 AM »

Something about this, in combo with your earlier link to the dolls, got me to wondering:

Does GI Joe go commando?

I never had one of them, so I really don't know, myself.

If he does, is there anything there?

It would explain why he has to carry that big gun, if he doesn't.

8) :o

G I Joe has always gone without, but then so has Barbie and Ken and all their friends.

When I was a youngen, a friend's sister hand made pairs of tighty-whities for our G I Joes.  My friend and I showed our appreciation by drawing skidmarks on them with brown markers.  She didn't find it funny at all.

More news from the doll world (why I seemed to be doll-savvy I'm not quite sure):  Ken is getting a makeover by Mattel.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #131 on: October 24, 2005, 10:33:19 AM »

I think I have my Emperors mixed up.  I was thinking of that skinny guy with the high screeming voice.  

I think you are talking about Jay Robinson who portrayed Caligula in "The Robe" and "Demetrius and the Gladiators"!!!

See below (Simmons, Robinson & Burton)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 10:40:00 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #132 on: October 24, 2005, 10:37:09 AM »

Does anyone else out there think Ken looks like he's wearing a toupee most of the time?

Maybe he needs to try the buzzed look this time out.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #133 on: October 24, 2005, 10:40:40 AM »

I think you are talking about Jay Robinson who portrayed Caligula in "The Robe" and "Demetrius and the Gladiators"!!!
Or she could be thinking of the "Indian" from the Villiage People in Can't Stop the Music.

;D

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #134 on: October 24, 2005, 10:45:49 AM »

Back from lunch and ready to head out for the movie.

That is, if I can back out of my garage. The construction workers think nothing of parking right in front of my driveway for 30-45 minutes while they deliver something to the work site next door. Very irritating but I know better than to complain. My yard would be trashed every night if I said anything.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 10:47:25 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #135 on: October 24, 2005, 10:47:53 AM »

WBBL with a report on the film.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #136 on: October 24, 2005, 10:49:54 AM »

BTW The Vixter's review of Fiddler... "Well I liked it...but it was no Phantom!"

« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 10:52:44 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #137 on: October 24, 2005, 10:55:51 AM »

VixMom, I liked the stage set up of Fiddler as well.  I forgot to mention that.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one in tears the almost the whole second act.  I thought it was because I was so tired.

Gotta go get supper going.  It's slow roasted chicken for us today.  It will help to warm up the house.

Laters!

I'm so glad you're doing okay there.. I have been worried about you ahaving to evacuate right after having surgery and I was wooried about what you would do with Bear....

Danise

« Reply #138 on: October 24, 2005, 10:59:47 AM »

See below (Simmons, Robinson & Burton)

That's him!  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #139 on: October 24, 2005, 11:00:41 AM »

Some thoughts on peplums and what-not:

There was an episode of "Designing Women" in which Charles Frank portrayed a charming southern gentleman with whom Julia Sugarbaker was much taken.

The only problem was, he was not as forward as Julia had hoped he'd be.  After a couple of dates, he had not even kissed her.

Suzanne pointed out that perhaps he was not inclined toward kissing her...and reminded her that the gentleman knew what a peplum was.

While that's neither here nor there, I have to say that was the last time -- until today -- that the word peplum had been brought to my attention.

And it reminded me of fanny packs.  Ever notice that when men wear fanny packs, they don't wear them on their "fannies," but use them as a surrogate cod piece?

Women often wear them correctly, or on the hip, but most men wear them directly over the crotch.

And then I thought of MBarnum's reference to peplum movies...those wrap-around jobbies that cover the loincloths in the sword-and-sandal epics....and I thought, "Hey!  Fanny packs are really 'peplum packs'!"

I mean, I've seen those peplums on women's outfits...never over the crotch area (which would make them skirts, I suppose), but over the stomachs, just under the bosoms.  I've seen many a peplum worn to disguise a belly.  

In spaghetti epics, they are lower...like kilts or mini-skirts.

At any rate, I thought of these things...and had to share them.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Danise

« Reply #140 on: October 24, 2005, 11:00:56 AM »

I'm so glad you're doing okay there.. I have been worried about you ahaving to evacuate right after having surgery and I was wooried about what you would do with Bear....

Never worry about Bear or Brandi.  If it had been bad enough, I would have thrown everyone into Bonnie and we would have headed for the hills or NYC, which ever came first!  ;) :D

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

vixmom

« Reply #141 on: October 24, 2005, 11:08:45 AM »

I just received thi speice of (sad) news in my inbox, I don't know if it was already posted on Sunday as I still have not had an opportunity to catch up

Stage and Screen Producer Tony Adams Dead at 52
by Broadway.com Staff

Tony Adams

Theater producer Tony Adams, a longtime collaborator of filmmaker Blake Edwards, died of a stroke at Beth Israel Hospital in New York City on October 22. He was 52 years old.
Adams co-produced Edwards' Victor/Victoria for the Broadway stage, which opened at the Marquis Theatre on October 25, 1996 and ran 734 performances. His relationship with Edwards began in 1975, working as associate producer on The Return of the Pink Panther. He eventually became president of Blake Edwards Entertainment, overseeing the original acclaimed film version of Victor/Victoria as well as countless other films including 10, S.O.B., The Man Who Loved Women, Micki and Maude, A Fine Mess, That's Life!, Blind Date, Sunset, Skin Deep, Switch and five Pink Panther sequels.

In a statement, Blake Edwards and wife Julie Andrews said, “We have known Tony for so many years; we felt he was our second son. He was a beloved, dear, trusted and talented friend. We are devastated at this sudden loss and we will miss him, his kindness and his wonderful sense of humour. Our thoughts go out to his family at this time.”

Off Broadoadway, Adams produced Minor Demons at the Century Center for the Performing Arts in 1997 and the recent The Immigrant at Dodger Stages. He was a senior managing member of Hello Entertainment, a theater producing company actively developing and producing Broadway projects. In addition, Adams produced Lullaby of Broadway: Opening Night on 42nd Street, Julie Andrews: Back on Broadway, My Favorite Broadway: The Leading Ladies and My Favorite Broadway: The Love Songs for PBS.
Adams is survived by his third wife, The Phantom of the Opera star Anne Runolfsson, and children Alister Adams, Andrew Hopewell, Molly Adams and Tess Adams.

Jennifer

« Reply #142 on: October 24, 2005, 11:37:00 AM »

DR RonP, that home shopping channel service sounds crazy!  I guess whoever shipped the pins cannot be blamed since they had the right # on them. Although what were you charged for?  But what are they doing to compensate you for all this mix-up?

The cell phone thing would make me crazy, especially since you said you asked for something specific on the phone.  I would probably ask to speak to a supervisor and see what they can do for you.  But this does not sound good.

Jennifer

« Reply #143 on: October 24, 2005, 11:39:11 AM »

DR Vixmom, re: talking during plays/musicals.  I sort of have a policy, that I give people a few chances before I say anything.  I would have let that lady annoy me 2 or 3 times.  But then i would have said something.  Just glaring does not usually do the trick.   Since obviously she had no idea what she was doing.

Sometimes it can annoy the annoying person.  But I know that if I don't speak up, then their chattering will bother ME for the rest of the show.

So I just try to be really nice about it.  Because most of the time the person does not even realize how rude they are being.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #144 on: October 24, 2005, 11:54:15 AM »

BK, I started Rewind last night--very enjoyable so far.  I still remember discussing "limo services" with you over lunch at Jerry's.  ;)

TOD:  Anything with a Rosza score, which covers just about everything from the 50s, LOL.  I even have a soft spot for "Sodom and Gomorrah" (TCB, TCB, where are you?).

And speaking of TCB, congrats!!!

I would ask about your soft spot, JMK, but I am not that type of guy!

Thank you, one and all, for your congratulations.  I was thrilled.  The most gratifying award was the Best Actor for "Branch Rickey" in NATIONAL PASTIME.  It was, I think, my finest work to date.  I had been told that I was not eligible for that show, because it was a second stage production, but the judges disagreed.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 12:15:16 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

vixmom

« Reply #145 on: October 24, 2005, 11:56:47 AM »

DR Vixmom, re: talking during plays/musicals.  I sort of have a policy, that I give people a few chances before I say anything.  I would have let that lady annoy me 2 or 3 times.  But then i would have said something.  Just glaring does not usually do the trick.   Since obviously she had no idea what she was doing.

Sometimes it can annoy the annoying person.  But I know that if I don't speak up, then their chattering will bother ME for the rest of the show.

So I just try to be really nice about it.  Because most of the time the person does not even realize how rude they are being.

Oh I was being patiant during her whispering... when the guy next to me and I both turned around to glare it was because she had  given up whispering and started talking loud enough to drown out the actors ::)

vixmom

« Reply #146 on: October 24, 2005, 11:59:24 AM »

I would ask about your soft spot, JMK, but I am not that type of guy!

Thank you, one and all, for your congratulations.  I was thrilled.  The most gratifying award was the Best Actor for "Branch Rickey" in NATIONAL PASTIME.  It was, I think, my finest work so far.  I had been told that I was not eligible for that show, becuase it was a second stage production, but the judges disagreed.

Being the ignoramus about these things tht I am, what exactly do you receive as your award (s), is it a nice little statue or certificate  you can proudly display or a do you just get written up in a book somewhere?

MBarnum

« Reply #147 on: October 24, 2005, 12:18:43 PM »

And I am a bit late, but...my congrats to TCB, also!!

Danise

« Reply #148 on: October 24, 2005, 12:23:34 PM »

Hoorah for TCB!

Well New Yorkers, I hope you enjoy Wilma as much as we did.   ::)  They say what is left of her is heading your way!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #149 on: October 24, 2005, 12:25:42 PM »

Just for a change of pace, here's an interesting picture!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up