Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THUS SPAKE BK  (Read 28666 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:THUS SPAKE BK
« Reply #150 on: October 24, 2005, 12:27:56 PM »

Being the ignoramus about these things tht I am, what exactly do you receive as your award (s), is it a nice little statue or certificate  you can proudly display or a do you just get written up in a book somewhere?

For winning the Richard Odlin Awards, which are chosen by a panel of judges, you receive a plaque.  This if the first year of the People's Choice Awards, but I have been told that you are given a certificate.

The Richard Odlin Awards (The Dickies) were first given out in the late 50s, early 60s.  They were named after a beloved artistic director who had died of lung cancer in 1958.  There is a bronze statue of him in his last role as Sakini in TEAHOUSE OF THE AUGUST MO0N in the lobby of the theater.  The original awards were two-foot tall replicas of that statue.  I have one of those awards at home.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #151 on: October 24, 2005, 12:31:10 PM »

ON THIS DAY in 1817 Hippolyte Mege Mouries was born. A French scientist, he invented margarine and patented canned meat.

(So much for the French being responsible for haute cuisine.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jed

« Reply #152 on: October 24, 2005, 12:35:45 PM »

ON THIS DAY in 1817 Hippolyte Mege Mouries was born. A French scientist, he invented margarine and patented canned meat.

(So much for the French being responsible for haute cuisine.)

If only we could thank him for Velveeta, too.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #153 on: October 24, 2005, 12:36:53 PM »

Der B just commented that he's sure that DR TCB has never had a Dickie that he didn't appreciate.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #154 on: October 24, 2005, 12:41:41 PM »

Der B just commented that he's sure that DR TCB has never had a Dickie that he didn't appreciate.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
“One thing’s universal,

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #155 on: October 24, 2005, 12:44:11 PM »

Did someone say Velveeta?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #156 on: October 24, 2005, 12:45:40 PM »

I'm sure that whatever categories you were nominated in as competition to Tom, the voters saw you as a bright young star in the local theatrical firmament.

But there's nothing like a GOM (grand old man) of the theater!

;)

Thank you, DR Ron, for putting into words exactly what I was thinking about Jed.  I am quite certain that Jed's acting talents will still be talked about and enjoyed, long after I have stopped performing.  It is reward enough for me to have already shared the stage with my dear son in two shows.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 12:56:45 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

Jed

« Reply #157 on: October 24, 2005, 12:57:00 PM »

Thank you, DR Ron, for putting in to words exactly what I was thinking about Jed.  I am quite certain that Jed's acting talents will still be talked about and enjoyed, long after I have stopped performing.  It is reward enough for me to have already shared the stage with my dear son in two shows.

Geez, I try to be a smartass and you go and get all nice on me. :D  The pleasure has been all mine, Dad.  I look forward to many, many more shows together.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #158 on: October 24, 2005, 01:04:36 PM »

Oof...my blood sugar is through the roof right now!

;D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 01:04:50 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #159 on: October 24, 2005, 01:08:28 PM »

For winning the Richard Odlin Awards, which are chosen by a panel of judges, you receive a plaque.  This if the first year of the People's Choice Awards, but I have been told that you are given a certificate.

The Richard Odlin Awards (The Dickies) were first given out in the late 50s, early 60s.  They were named after a beloved artistic director who had died of lung cancer in 1958.  There is a bronze statue of him in his last role as Sakini in TEAHOUSE OF THE AUGUST MO0N in the lobby of the theater.  The original awards were two-foot tall replicas of that statue.  I have one of those awards at home.

Very nice!! Thank you for filling me in, as  it were.....

I'm proud to "know ya!"

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #160 on: October 24, 2005, 01:08:35 PM »

I shall have scrod
You will have scrod
He/She/It will have scrod

We shall have scrod
You will have scrod
They will have scrod.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

vixmom

« Reply #161 on: October 24, 2005, 01:09:05 PM »

Oof...my blood sugar is through the roof right now!

;D
Isn't it nice when we all get along....... :D :-*

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #162 on: October 24, 2005, 01:11:45 PM »

Jennfier:  HSN believes it has done its due by me as I received both phones....but they placed the order through Cingular and it was, in their opinion, Cingular that messed up the original order.

The solution is for me to register the phone "I" want to use and then have them transfer me to the Cingular east coast office that can assign a new phone number and issue me a chip for my mother's phone.

I smell extra bucks...but I guarantee you I will bill back HSN for anything more that I have to pay.

Regarding the pins:  I paid only for 8 "Father Christmas" pins.  I have 5 in my possession and 3 more are being mailed to me.  I have mailed back the 11 unwanted pieces of jewelry, and I will be calling HSN and letting them know it is on its way and that I paid priority postage and insured it for $100 which I wish to be reimbursed for.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #163 on: October 24, 2005, 01:12:14 PM »

Isn't it nice when we all get along....... :D :-*

Yeah...but sometimes it could rot yer teeth!

:D

vixmom

« Reply #164 on: October 24, 2005, 01:22:35 PM »

Yeah...but sometimes it could rot yer teeth!

:D

Have I mentioned how exceptiponally well you tyope and how much I love your funny little posts and how sweet and honset I think it is thatyou  have gone to so much troub;e to return to HSN their merchandise which they sent to you .  Other people might consider it their due for their inconvenience and keep it, or refuse to return it unil they had received their original completed  order  

You sweet thing you! :-*

PS Are you feeling any better breathing wise?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #165 on: October 24, 2005, 01:23:42 PM »

Back from GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK. Engrossing film dealing with a period in our country's history when I was alive but too young to know or care what was going on.

There is just something about black and white photography that just grips you - instantly - from the second a film begins, especially on the big screen.

It's a fascinating look behind the scenes of this tense period where folks were forging new frontiers in the medium of television. The film is less than two hours, and I'm not sure it shouldn't have been a little longer giving a little more background on some of the names that were mentioned during the film. Everything you need to know is there, but even as someone who's read a good bit about this period, I will need to see the film repeated time to catch all of the references.

I can see why David Stathairn won Best Actor at the Venice Film Festival. He really does take on Murrow's television manner. Doesn't deal with his private life at all which did surprise me a bit (but that's not what the film is about).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

vixmom

« Reply #166 on: October 24, 2005, 01:24:32 PM »

Daer elmore.. I do not have Netflix... I shall have to see if my public  library has tThe Woman in White' they do stock a lot of PBS stuff so they might.  Thanks!!

Matt H.

« Reply #167 on: October 24, 2005, 01:30:26 PM »

I think I was among the youngest or second youngest person in the audience for today's matinee. (That should tell you the age of folks who take in the first matinees of these films; other folks, of course, are working.)

About five minutes before the movie started, two ladies probably in their 70s come in and sat down right next to me, not leaving a seat in between even though they could have. It didn't bother me, but I found it a bit strange that they weren't intimidated or shy to sit next to a man who might try to do who knows what during the film.

At one point, the lady right next to me snored loudly enough to start herself awake, and the lady next to her just chuckled. I didn't hear anyone else snoring around me. Sorry that she didn't find the film gripping enough to stay awake through it.

Matt H.

« Reply #168 on: October 24, 2005, 01:32:25 PM »

But, being at the movies this afternoon meant no DVDs or DVR programs have been watched. I'll try to watch LAW & ORDER: CI before my few networks shows come on tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #169 on: October 24, 2005, 01:33:40 PM »

And the temperature has dropped about 10 degrees in the last couple of hours. I threw on a jacket before I headed out to the theater, and I was certainly glad I did when I came out.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #170 on: October 24, 2005, 01:41:25 PM »

Geez, I try to be a smartass and you go and get all nice on me. :D  The pleasure has been all mine, Dad.  I look forward to many, many more shows together.

Bite me, a**h**e!

(Is that better, Ron?)
“One thing’s universal,

Jed

« Reply #171 on: October 24, 2005, 01:42:34 PM »

ROFLMAO!!!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #172 on: October 24, 2005, 01:44:58 PM »

Daer elmore.. I do not have Netflix... I shall have to see if my public  library has tThe Woman in White' they do stock a lot of PBS stuff so they might.  Thanks!!

If your library doesn't have it, they could probably get it through Inter-Library Loan (ILL).

This Public Service Announcement has been brought to you by your friendly HHW Pacific Northwest Library worker. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #173 on: October 24, 2005, 01:48:21 PM »

That is, if I can back out of my garage. The construction workers think nothing of parking right in front of my driveway for 30-45 minutes while they deliver something to the work site next door. Very irritating but I know better than to complain. My yard would be trashed every night if I said anything.

Then, again, you might get lucky!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #174 on: October 24, 2005, 01:49:43 PM »

Never worry about Bear or Brandi.  If it had been bad enough, I would have thrown everyone into Bonnie and we would have headed for the hills or NYC, which ever came first!  ;) :D

You just need an excuse to come back!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

« Reply #175 on: October 24, 2005, 01:51:08 PM »

Back from GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK. Engrossing film dealing with a period in our country's history when I was alive but too young to know or care what was going on.

There is just something about black and white photography that just grips you - instantly - from the second a film begins, especially on the big screen.

It's a fascinating look behind the scenes of this tense period where folks were forging new frontiers in the medium of television. The film is less than two hours, and I'm not sure it shouldn't have been a little longer giving a little more background on some of the names that were mentioned during the film. Everything you need to know is there, but even as someone who's read a good bit about this period, I will need to see the film repeated time to catch all of the references.

I can see why David Stathairn won Best Actor at the Venice Film Festival. He really does take on Murrow's television manner. Doesn't deal with his private life at all which did surprise me a bit (but that's not what the film is about).

I would like to see this.  I have to see if I can drag vixdad out.... we did get to the movies yesterday and saw Wallace & Gromit which was marvelous!!

vixdad and I kept finding different little in jokes... like when Gromit turns on the car radio and they are playing "Brighteyes" (the theme from Watership Down) and Lady Tottington's wardrobe choices....

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #176 on: October 24, 2005, 01:51:33 PM »

If only we could thank him for Velveeta, too.
;D ;D  Hee hee!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #177 on: October 24, 2005, 02:06:34 PM »

Ron posted:
Code: [Select]
DR Jane:  I truly believed "Mar Mitzvah" was a ceremony I hadn't heard of before...
Since it was you asking I wasn’t sure which way to take the question. ;D I was rushing and in my haste typed Mar instead of Bar, which I think figured out after my response. :)

vixmom

« Reply #178 on: October 24, 2005, 02:07:40 PM »

If your library doesn't have it, they could probably get it through Inter-Library Loan (ILL).

This Public Service Announcement has been brought to you by your friendly HHW Pacific Northwest Library worker. ;)

I will try that! Thanks!

Danise

« Reply #179 on: October 24, 2005, 02:08:16 PM »

You just need an excuse to come back!

Hey Elmore,  Seeing how your such a BIG Michael Ball fan now, do you want someone  (   ::) 8) )to go see Woman In White with you???   ;) :D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 02:09:24 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up