Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE METAPHORICAL ME  (Read 22403 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE METAPHORICAL ME
« on: October 19, 2004, 12:02:28 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you are now up to your eyeballs in metaphors, and you are ready to post until the metaphorical cows come home.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 11:59:32 PM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE METAPHORICAL ME
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 12:08:39 AM »

I'm too tired right now even for metathrees. Tomorrow - which is today - I shall wax poetic.
Right now I'm going to eat popcorn and read about Marlon Brando and Wally Cox.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 01:18:57 AM »

What I've been reading lately is cookbooks.  I find the stuff facinating, a wonderful way of exploring culture, history and other bullsh**, not to mention how I regularly come across ideas for things to whip up in the kitchen.  But they're rather lax on metaphors, sad to say.

:-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 01:22:55 AM »

I did come across a recipe for General Tso's Chicken, but it didn't contain even a single metaphor.  Garlic, chili paste, hoisin sauce, grated gingerroot, coriander leaves, all there.  No metaphor.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 02:24:15 AM »

Will you accept metaphors in a song by a group that is comprised of surfers?

"Yesterday is a wrinkle on your forehead.
 Yesterday is a promise that you've broken."

I am probably showing my age here but I am just a big fan of a band called Switchfoot. In an age when so much music has no real meaning behind it, they are a breath of fresh air to me. Their lyrics really make me think. I get so sick of the repetitive songs where its all about sex, drugs, relationship angst, my boyfriend dumped me, etc. I have followed Switchfoot since before they were even featured in A Walk to Remember. Their music was just so different from a lot of what I heard and it was what I was looking for. They don'ty have terribly many metaphors in their music but they have a lot of meaning. Ok enough of me pulling things away from where they should be! :)
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 02:58:27 AM »

I shall have to consider the metaphor(ical) question for now, it is too early in the morning.

My favorite surfing songs.....there are a few:

Surfer Girl - or as sung by Annette Surfer Boy.
Ride the Wild Surf by Jan and Dean from the movie of the same name.
Surf City.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 03:14:52 AM »

Here is your Allison Hayes picture of the week - sent to me by DRMBARNUM.  :o

Allison in the latest 1958 two-piece swimsuit obviously studying for the Law Degree she received from UCLA - at least according to the write up for her Gent Magazine photo layout.  ;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 03:34:11 AM »

We're getting a sudden thunderstorm here in the wee hours of the morning.  The curtains of showers have spooked poor Marty, the Labraball; he's been edging back and forth from one room to another, sticking close but unable to settle down.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 04:39:01 AM »

When people react to my vocation as if it's anything unusual, I like to say:

Oh, you can't swing a cat without hitting a musical theatre writer around here.

Metaphorical cat-swinging (as opposed to real) is one of my favorite things.

Johnny Mercer set the following two quatrains to the recently-departed David Raksin's best tune:

Laura is the face in the misty light
Footsteps that you hear down the hall
The laugh that floats on a summer night
That you can never quite recall

And you see Laura on a train that is passing through
Those eyes, how familiar they seem
She gave your very first kiss to you
That was Laura, but she's only a dream
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

beckon

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 05:20:10 AM »

Metaphors?  Hmmm...

All the world's a stage

Happiness is just a thing called Joe

I hope these count, because I am even worse at surfing songs!  :-\
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 05:21:02 AM by beckon »
A bell is no bell til you ring it
A song is no song til you sing it
And love in your heart wasn't put there to stay
Love isn't love til you give it away

Oscar Hammerstein II

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2004, 05:22:17 AM »

Here is your Allison Hayes picture of the week - sent to me by DRMBARNUM.  :o

Thanks JRand and MBarnum for the weekly pic. It looks like Allison's getting ready to share a couple of pointers.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2004, 05:32:03 AM »

I imagine I'll come up with something loftier later in the day. But years ago our Toronto Star restaurant critic, Cynthia Wine, was describing how comfortable she felt at a particular establishment. "I walked in and it was as if I had removed my girdle," she wrote. I knew exactly (well, not exactly) what she was saying.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2004, 05:34:38 AM »

Good morning, all!  Let's get the surfing song out of the way first because I haven't thought about the Beach Boys or Annette in her Beach Party phase for years, and I know I once arranged a Beach Party song she sang for the New York City Gay Men's Chorus around 1984, for a movie concert with Vito Russo.   The only song that comes to mind is "Surfin U S A" this morning.  Is it a favorite?  No, but it wins by default.

I'm thinking Metaphor this morning and only getting similes like "My love's like a red red rose" so I think I'll do some channeling this morning and return later.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2004, 05:36:16 AM »

DR Elmore,

I think you're okay with similes. If I remember correctly, all similes are metaphors (but not the reverse).

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2004, 06:05:46 AM »

An old English teacher's joke:

Q:  What's a metaphor?

A:  It's a place where cows graze.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2004, 06:12:54 AM »

DR Elmore you are not alone!

Charmed is one of my favorite shows.  I am addicted to the WB, and watch most of its shows.

Congrats again DR Panni.  I hope #3 is the charm.  But I thought the other house was already yours? (or is it that before you sign the papers you can still change your mind?).   Anyhow this one sounds great, especially if it's been a place you've been admiring.  Sounds like fate.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2004, 07:54:55 AM »

DR ELMORE made an arrangement for ANNETTE!!!

Wow!  She sang with the Gay Men's Chorus? Wow!

DiT - those couple of points were in fact the major thrust of Allison's career.

MBarnum

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2004, 08:00:24 AM »

I don't know from metaphors...my mind is quite blank this morning...I do have a favorite surfing song...THE BIRD by the Trashmen.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2004, 08:02:55 AM »

Rain, glorious Rain!

The Bay Area is awash in rain, rain, rain!

The dry spell is over -- and the fires should be out now!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2004, 08:09:05 AM »

Well, I can't contribute a single surfing song, so I'll take an excused absence from that topic.

Metaphors? Oh, dear, I'm sure I have some favorite ones, but they're just not coming to my head.

All I can think of is a famous expression I used to tell my students when they would say they were scared about starting Shakespeare or scared of an upcoming exam. It's not a metaphor, but it's kind of in metaphor style:

"Courage is not the absence of fear; it's the mastery of it."

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2004, 08:10:01 AM »

Going through my head:

Ethel Waters' glorious rendition of "Taking A Chance on Love" from "Cabin in the Sky."

It's my favorite version of that song.  She invests it with true feeling/meaning...much more than any other singer I've heard.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2004, 08:13:06 AM »

Boy, must Nathan Lane be sick of THE PRODUCERS by now or soon will be. Doing it in NYC for a year, bringing himself back into it for three months this year, now going to London to do it for several weeks and then coming back to America to start the film version.

Even at the huge salaries he's earning for doing it, I think he must be getting tired of the grind by now. Earlier generations of stage artists seemed niot to have minded long runs, but I'm not sure today's artists are of a similar mind-set.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2004, 08:26:28 AM »

Favorite surfing-related song:  "Wipeout."
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2004, 08:51:50 AM »

Congrats again DR Panni.  I hope #3 is the charm.  But I thought the other house was already yours? (or is it that before you sign the papers you can still change your mind?).   Anyhow this one sounds great, especially if it's been a place you've been admiring.  Sounds like fate.

I'd been trying for 4 or 5 days to get together with the nice woman who owns that place, but with no success. (I was available, she wasn't.) Had she agreed to meet with me, that's where I would be living. Until a deposit is given and papers are signed, it's not a done deal.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2004, 09:00:20 AM »

Well.  (oooh, a RAGTIME reference.)

So much upon which to catch up.

DR Panni, sorry to see you go, but glad to have you back.  And the new(est) house sounds charming, though I liked your last find very much indeed.

DR DiT:  So sorry to have missed your birthday.  Hope it was splendid.

I know little of science fiction or surfer songs.  My mind is not coming up with a "favorite" metaphor, though I like several.

DR Jennifer, I will go on record (along with theatre columnist Peter Filichia) in saying that I find MAN OF LA MANCHA to be one of the most over-rated musicals ever written.  And to do further harm here, I will disagree with DR Noel in saying that I feel that the score is leaps and bounds above the mid-60s piece of pretentious claptrap that is its libretto.

As implied above, I do find much of the score glorious and moving.  

Missed the Stokes revival, but was subjected to the Raul Julia/Sheena Easton one on three separate occasions (all work related).  It was dreadful, and even though the show has traditionally been played withOUT an intermission (even though there is a most definitive act break written into it), I think part of the reason this particular production stuck to tradition was so that people wouldn't leave in droves during the interval.

I don't care for MAN OF LA MANCHA.  There, I said it.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2004, 09:43:40 AM »

Again I slept later than I normally do.  I really must set my internal clock because as much as I needed to catch up on sleep, I am now caught up and ready to rise earlier.  

Lovely metaphors - let's have more.

Excellent surfing songs - let's have more.

My favorite surfing song is California Girls.

Jennifer

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2004, 09:52:19 AM »

It was dreadful, and even though the show has traditionally been played withOUT an intermission (even though there is a most definitive act break written into it.

Question. Where is the break?

I was surprised they did it here without an intermission.  I definitely prefer one.

This theatre is mostly older people.  But I was very surprised.  Not a single one of them got up during the 1 hr 45 minutes.

Jennifer

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2004, 09:57:28 AM »

I'd been trying for 4 or 5 days to get together with the nice woman who owns that place, but with no success. (I was available, she wasn't.) Had she agreed to meet with me, that's where I would be living. Until a deposit is given and papers are signed, it's not a done deal.

That is strange that she wouldn't have jumped to meet with you.  If I was the seller I would make sure to get that deposit right away.

I'm curious though.  Does this sort of thing happen often (people changing their minds?).  I am naive enough to think that if someone says they will take it that they will.  Also I thought that getting a house was usually done through an agent.  When my sis got her house this year, there were numerous people making bids thru their agents.  And it was totally crazy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2004, 10:03:27 AM »

My very favorite surfing song is "Surf City" by my very favorite surfing dudes, Jan & Dean!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2004, 10:06:05 AM »

BeeKays landlord, 3:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up