Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MAD TYPER  (Read 41172 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:THE MAD TYPER
« Reply #120 on: August 23, 2005, 10:43:23 AM »

How could no one have mentioned The Silver Chalice?

I believe I mentioned THE SILVER CHALICE!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #121 on: August 23, 2005, 10:44:04 AM »

OK - Time for me to putz around a bit before I head out for the afternoon.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #122 on: August 23, 2005, 10:50:26 AM »

I just missed a phone call from Mr. Craig Brockman who DID NOT LEAVE A MESSAGE!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #123 on: August 23, 2005, 10:52:37 AM »

Woah.. I've asscended to GOD status... hmmm, didn't feel a thing!

In honor of Matthew's Ascension, here's the Page Five Dance:

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
WELCOME TO THE HEAVENS, D.R. MATTHEW!!
[/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

FJL

« Reply #124 on: August 23, 2005, 11:06:38 AM »

I forget, is senior membership at 200 posts or 250?  Or neither?

FJL

« Reply #125 on: August 23, 2005, 11:07:27 AM »

Well, no matter what, 200 is a milestone, isn't it?

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #126 on: August 23, 2005, 11:08:08 AM »

On my birthday wishes to TCB, there was suppose to be a picture I attached, why didn't it post??

You're a god.. you tell me!

;D

Welcome to Mount Olympus!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #127 on: August 23, 2005, 11:11:08 AM »

Well... I've seen it too... So...  ;)

It's a lot of fun.  I'd say it would be very vixter-friendly.  Even the "admiration" that one of the boyz has for one of the other boyz is handled very tongue-in-cheek.  It's lots of fun.  It's also a very loud show - you "are" at a final concert on their tour.  ;)  -That would be my only "caution".

The show is a breezy hour and a half.  And if you happen to get seats in the front, center rows, just know that one or more of the boyz may ended up "anointing" you with their sweat.  -Watch out for that Juan!  ;)

*It's also at Dodger Stages, and the theatre is not that big at all.  I grabbed a seat at TKTS, and even though I was off to the side, it really was not a bad seat at all.  And it was cheaper than the discount vouchers.  -Of course, you have to stand in line at TKTS and pay cash, but...  Just a thought.
Thank youi!! TTKTS may be an option....I am attempting to get to show the Vixter a show a couple of times a year now if I can....Since Last August we have seen Wicked, Little Women  and we are going to POTO in September....

Jason

« Reply #128 on: August 23, 2005, 11:14:47 AM »

Vixmom: I think she'd really enjoy ALL SHOOK UP. It's a fun, flashy show with some great tunes and nothing objectionable. And there's some eye candy in the cast for mom, too. :)

vixmom

« Reply #129 on: August 23, 2005, 11:15:32 AM »

We do not have hired spies, though I'd certainly love it if we did. No, we leave the tattling to the cast members, crew members, bitter box office staff members who wish they were onstage (been there, done that), and members of other theatre groups who wish to shut down or seriously damage the reputation of other groups. Believe me, there are PLENTY of tattlers. We call them snitches around these parts.

With the vast expanse of information available online, we are often able to do Google searches on our shows to see who's doing what and if anyone is really licensed to do it. We also come across things inadvertently sometimes, which is a lot of fun. "Hi, this is Jason from MTI...I just happened upon your website that says you're doing Disney's BEAUTY AND THE BEAST next week. I seem to have misplaced your contract. Perhaps you could fax a copy of it to me?" That's fun.

We also hire a clippings service to look for reviews and related articles across the country who look out specifically for our titles. They're not looking for contract violations, of course - just articles that mention our shows. We catch a lot of people that way.

Then there are the groups who slip through the cracks and never get caught. They will eventually, somewhere down the line, but I can guarantee that 98% of the groups who produce musicals cut or alter SOMETHING in the script and/or score. Contractually, not one word or note may be altered, but it's very difficult to enforce that rule. We heavily rely on trust, which sometimes comes back to bite us in the arse.

There's nothing worse than getting a call from the author of a show who just HAPPENED to see a community theatre production of their show that just HAPPENED to be 40 minutes shorter than it was supposed to be. They're never too happy about that, so we try to curtail that issue.

If a group IS caught, they're issued a cease and desist. Either they return the material to its original, licensed version or they must close. We have an in-house lawyer who deals with that. The C&D scares most groups into compliance, but we have been known to send in federal marshals to block entrances and prevent audiences from seeing productions. It's extreme, but it's also a federal law that must be upheld. Usually, if you make an example of one group, the rest take notice.

We recently caught a group who did a completely illegal production of RENT, which is now our property. The show is still on Broadway, so it's obviously not available for licensing, so they can't even pretend like the materials weren't bootlegged. We will send them a sizeable bill for the royalty - something to the tune of $2000 per performance, plus a bill for what would have been the rental fee. As the show is still on Broadway, the fee will be somewhat in scale to what the B'way production would make off however many performances they did. Again, extreme, but I bet they won't steal another show again...or they'll long and hard before they do. We know a community theatre isn't going to be able to pay that much money. It's a scare tactic to teach them a lesson. But they will be expected to pay something.

Just imagine their faces when they get a bill out of the blue for $10,000!

WOW!!! Good thing no one found out about the production of Godspell our Luther League did for the Church Spaghetti dinner in 1973!!

This particular Theatre Group has been around for about 40 years so maybe they did get a handslap in the past.  The Director, who has been a member of the group for most, if not all, of those 40 years was quite adamant that everything be exactly as it was on the script page.

FJL

« Reply #130 on: August 23, 2005, 11:17:08 AM »

ALTAR BOYZ -  BIG SPOILER OF ONE STRANGE MOMENT IN THE SHOW

I loved ALTAR BOYZ, but had a strange reaction to one brief segment, where one of the boyz finds out that his parents are dead, and the song following that is played for laughs through that person's grief, ostensibly because his finding out they're dead makes him lose the faith they're humorously trying to preach.  A difficult moment, people around us were laughing, but I just thought it was strange.  The show recovered for me very quickly, though.  And otherwise, I thought it was excellent, beautifully written and staged.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #131 on: August 23, 2005, 11:20:50 AM »

I'm doing a little production of "Rent" in my head right now.

There have been two performances, and I'm working on a third.

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #132 on: August 23, 2005, 11:23:19 AM »

TOD - The Robert Redford movie I want to mention is one he produced/directed, but was not in the cast - Quiz Show.  One of my all-time favorites.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

« Reply #133 on: August 23, 2005, 11:28:47 AM »

I'm doing a little production of "Rent" in my head right now.

There have been two performances, and I'm working on a third.

:D

I'm tellin'!!!!

Jennifer

« Reply #134 on: August 23, 2005, 11:32:14 AM »

I just wanted to say that the chicken legs on the grill turned out so well.  Tonight will be ribs on the grill.

As for the chicken, i followed a recipe that had me grill for 10 min on high.  Then i turned it to low & grilled it for about another 25 or 30.  I basted it with sauce at the end. And it came out so perfect.

vixmom

« Reply #135 on: August 23, 2005, 11:32:54 AM »

JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAson!!!!!!!

Jed

« Reply #136 on: August 23, 2005, 11:36:09 AM »

Then there's the summer theatre group I know of (couldn't pay me enough to get involved with 'em for any number of reasons, though they asked me a few times) that not only videos their productions, but has been known to later air them a few times on public access TV.  That's GOTTA go against the contract (usually with R&H), doesn't it?
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

vixmom

« Reply #137 on: August 23, 2005, 11:37:58 AM »

I tried to make a steak on the grill last night... first I grilled the potatoes and the corn and the onions and mushrooms and just when it was time to put the steak on...

of course I ran outta gas

literally

so I had to cook the steak in the house and y'know its just not the same......

Jed

« Reply #138 on: August 23, 2005, 11:38:42 AM »

Happy Birthday, TCB!! I hope your cyber-kids take you out for cake!!

Unfortunately, due to previous plans for TCB and rehearsal for me, it won't be happening tonight, but I'm sure we'll take him for ice cream very soon.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #139 on: August 23, 2005, 11:46:34 AM »

Vixmom-
I think vixter would enjoy the show, as you have made her sound like a hip young lady. Unless you are very religious, because the show could be perceived as mocking faith a good deal, though it is mainly mocking faith-based entertainment.

Jason

« Reply #140 on: August 23, 2005, 11:55:21 AM »

Then there's the summer theatre group I know of (couldn't pay me enough to get involved with 'em for any number of reasons, though they asked me a few times) that not only videos their productions, but has been known to later air them a few times on public access TV.  That's GOTTA go against the contract (usually with R&H), doesn't it?

It is laid out in writing on every contract that no videotaping or distribution, either by TV, radio or digital broadcast, is permitted. It's an industry-wide standard, so R&H, Tams, Sam French and the lot all follow suit. Basically, we don't own the film rights to those shows, so we can't grant licenses for them to be filmed, let alone broadcast. And, in the case of an Equity production, it is a violation of union rules to videotape unless you have the written approval of every cast member. Videotapes also allow for the intellectual theft of design elements, choreography, direction and performance.

They could get in a lot of trouble....

vixmom

« Reply #141 on: August 23, 2005, 11:55:47 AM »

Vixmom-
I think vixter would enjoy the show, as you have made her sound like a hip young lady. Unless you are very religious, because the show could be perceived as mocking faith a good deal, though it is mainly mocking faith-based entertainment.

Hmmmm, I am a Sunday School teacher, she's in the church youth choir , the Luther League, and this year will begin serving as an acolyte and Sunday School assistant and she has volunteered as an assistant at the Vacation Bible school for the past two years, so I don't think it will shake her faith. But would she feel insulted by the humor? (12 year olds can be very serious about any lampooning of their values y'know.)  Maybe I should get the sound track and check it out.

SWW how's my punctuation?

(Better than my tpyping, I hope)

« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 12:09:04 PM by vixmom »

Jason

« Reply #142 on: August 23, 2005, 11:57:43 AM »

ALTAR BOYZ -  BIG SPOILER OF ONE STRANGE MOMENT IN THE SHOW

I loved ALTAR BOYZ, but had a strange reaction to one brief segment, where one of the boyz finds out that his parents are dead, and the song following that is played for laughs through that person's grief, ostensibly because his finding out they're dead makes him lose the faith they're humorously trying to preach.  A difficult moment, people around us were laughing, but I just thought it was strange.  The show recovered for me very quickly, though.  And otherwise, I thought it was excellent, beautifully written and staged.

Well...his parents that he's never met are dead. Not that anyone should make light of orphans or dead parents, but I thought I'd clarify.

Jason

« Reply #143 on: August 23, 2005, 11:59:34 AM »

Off to meet Jose for lunch! Yay!

vixmom

« Reply #144 on: August 23, 2005, 12:10:49 PM »

Well, no matter what, 200 is a milestone, isn't it?

You full member, you!!!

Congratulations on your new status! Next step: godhood! Reach for the stars, baby!!!!

vixmom

« Reply #145 on: August 23, 2005, 12:11:39 PM »

Well...his parents that he's never met are dead. Not that anyone should make light of orphans or dead parents, but I thought I'd clarify.

Have you ever known what it is to be an orphan?!

Jed

« Reply #146 on: August 23, 2005, 12:11:46 PM »

They could get in a lot of trouble....

Is it bad that a little part of me sorta wishes they would?  :D

Jennifer

« Reply #147 on: August 23, 2005, 12:16:07 PM »

DR Vixmom, that has happened to me too (running out of gas while cokking something).  It drives me crazy that the bbq doesn't have a dial to show u when it is getting low.

Thankfully last time it happened the food was pretty much done.  But it is horrible whwn you have guests and this happens.

Btw, how do you cook corn on the grill? I have never tried it outside.

Btw2, I think i might cook the ribs on lower but for longer.

I am going to bake them first, since i think they would take forever if i just did them outside.

Tomovoz

« Reply #148 on: August 23, 2005, 12:17:16 PM »

I just missed a phone call from Mr. Craig Brockman who DID NOT LEAVE A MESSAGE!

The Craig Brockman who has a mention in the most recent "Sondheim Review"? I remember him from way back..........
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #149 on: August 23, 2005, 12:17:56 PM »

Happy Birthday, DRTCB!!

Welcome to HHW Heaven, DRMATTHEW!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up