Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MAD TYPER  (Read 40676 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:THE MAD TYPER
« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2005, 09:59:55 AM »

People were talking about 1976 the other day. I was a little kid, but I still remember the magical feeling in the air during the bicentennial. It really seemed like a national celebration. People really went crazy for it in a way that is hard to imagine now. It seemed like we had cookouts and campouts and parades going on all summer long.

I was 18, with a car of my own, a part time job that gave me some financial freedom and was involved with the theatre program at college, and in love for the first time
I agree a magical summer indeed!!

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2005, 10:00:54 AM »

That HOT ROCK story explains something. I've always heard Redford basically disowned the movie. Some said he held up its DVD release, and it has been one of those movies only available through poor prints on TV showings. Then Fox started showing decent prints on their channel.

Hard to figure why it's debut was so lousy. As caper flicks go, it is better than most. There are some very inventive moments and a great cast. It has always seemed to me like there were some missing pieces edited out of it. Charlotte Rae, for instance, shows up for a scene and is never seen again.

Next Peter Yates film we need on DVD is THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2005, 10:04:08 AM »

Been doing my best to familiarize myself with the "classics" and those who made them popular.  I'm enjoying Ella singing Jerome Kern, more Harold Arlen songbook Vol 2 also.  When I was in SF the other day, I picked up "The Best of Peggy Lee" also.  I also picked up a Lanie Kazan CD and a Lea Delaria CD, all mostly with standards.  Good times.  

Gershwin is next.  After hating every production of "Crazy For You" I've seen, I've been turned off by Gershwin.  I know, I need to work on that.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2005, 10:10:28 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

Strange internet connection issues this morning here at the apartment.  I haven't been able to log on until just a few minutes.  The signal just kept going in and out, and/or it was just too weak.  So, I futzed around a bit and got some stuff straightened out and put away.  Productive, eh?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2005, 10:11:02 AM »

DR Jason - 3:00 sounds good.  I'll call you in a bit.
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2005, 10:11:02 AM »

Hmmm....maybe DR td. I always get you two handsome gentlemen confused!   ;)

'twas indeed me. (and flattery will get you a Susan Johnson song title).

I like DR Ron's stone age man for TCB.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #96 on: August 23, 2005, 10:13:33 AM »

DR Matthew - Which Lea DeLaria CD did you pick up?  Her first one, "Play It Cool", or "Double Standards"?

I really do like the selections on "Play It Cool".  And that swingin' version of "The Ballad of Sweeney Todd" always gets my toes a-tappin'.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2005, 10:14:56 AM »

DR Jose - I picked up "Play It Cool" so far, so good :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2005, 10:15:12 AM »

OH...

And DR Matthew - I've stated it many times here, but my favorite Ella Fitzgerald recordings are the Harold Arlen Songbook volumes.  If they're available on iTunes, I'd suggest downloading a song or two... and then the rest if they suit your fancy.  Her "Ding, Dong! The Witch Is Dead" is lots of fun.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #99 on: August 23, 2005, 10:15:22 AM »

Favorite Paul Newman films:  Harry and Son, Butch Cassidy, Slap Shot, Absence of Malice

Favorite Robert Redford films:  All the President's Men, Butch Cassidy, The Candidate, Barefoot in the Park

(Loved Harry and Son in particular, though for some reason I can't remember much about it other than how moved I was, and that I began to really appreciate Robby Benson as an actor in that. )  

Jason

« Reply #100 on: August 23, 2005, 10:16:27 AM »

DR Jason:  Are there really "powers that be" who wander around checking Community Theatre productions to make sure that they haven't made any changes to the original script?

When the Vixter was in  Peter Pan  people were practically begging the director to cut the parts of the maid, and the non speaking roles of the ostrich, kangeroo and lion.  It only slowed down the action and added not a wit to the story.

She said that any changes like this would be a violation of the performance license and the theatre group would be fined and  never given another  performance license again.

I do not doublt that such language is written into whatever contracts are signed( admittedly I have never been involved in the administrative side of these things so I am entirely clueless.) but how strictly is such a clause enforced?

If you do have people that wander around from performance to performance checking on accuracy how much does the job pay and are there any job openings?

We do not have hired spies, though I'd certainly love it if we did. No, we leave the tattling to the cast members, crew members, bitter box office staff members who wish they were onstage (been there, done that), and members of other theatre groups who wish to shut down or seriously damage the reputation of other groups. Believe me, there are PLENTY of tattlers. We call them snitches around these parts.

With the vast expanse of information available online, we are often able to do Google searches on our shows to see who's doing what and if anyone is really licensed to do it. We also come across things inadvertently sometimes, which is a lot of fun. "Hi, this is Jason from MTI...I just happened upon your website that says you're doing Disney's BEAUTY AND THE BEAST next week. I seem to have misplaced your contract. Perhaps you could fax a copy of it to me?" That's fun.

We also hire a clippings service to look for reviews and related articles across the country who look out specifically for our titles. They're not looking for contract violations, of course - just articles that mention our shows. We catch a lot of people that way.

Then there are the groups who slip through the cracks and never get caught. They will eventually, somewhere down the line, but I can guarantee that 98% of the groups who produce musicals cut or alter SOMETHING in the script and/or score. Contractually, not one word or note may be altered, but it's very difficult to enforce that rule. We heavily rely on trust, which sometimes comes back to bite us in the arse.

There's nothing worse than getting a call from the author of a show who just HAPPENED to see a community theatre production of their show that just HAPPENED to be 40 minutes shorter than it was supposed to be. They're never too happy about that, so we try to curtail that issue.

If a group IS caught, they're issued a cease and desist. Either they return the material to its original, licensed version or they must close. We have an in-house lawyer who deals with that. The C&D scares most groups into compliance, but we have been known to send in federal marshals to block entrances and prevent audiences from seeing productions. It's extreme, but it's also a federal law that must be upheld. Usually, if you make an example of one group, the rest take notice.

We recently caught a group who did a completely illegal production of RENT, which is now our property. The show is still on Broadway, so it's obviously not available for licensing, so they can't even pretend like the materials weren't bootlegged. We will send them a sizeable bill for the royalty - something to the tune of $2000 per performance, plus a bill for what would have been the rental fee. As the show is still on Broadway, the fee will be somewhat in scale to what the B'way production would make off however many performances they did. Again, extreme, but I bet they won't steal another show again...or they'll long and hard before they do. We know a community theatre isn't going to be able to pay that much money. It's a scare tactic to teach them a lesson. But they will be expected to pay something.

Just imagine their faces when they get a bill out of the blue for $10,000!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #101 on: August 23, 2005, 10:17:03 AM »

DR Rodzinksi - How was DR TPunk this morning?  Did she say she had a good time last night?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #102 on: August 23, 2005, 10:17:40 AM »

DR Rodzinski, was it you who went to see AltarBoyz not too long ago?  

I keep getting offers to see it for $45.

Should I?  Is it Vixter friendly?
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #103 on: August 23, 2005, 10:20:00 AM »

DR Hisaka - You're welcome.  :)  I hope that you could join us some time in New York.  Of course, I wouldn't mind joining you in LA, or, better yet, in Japan.  Know any good places for wagashi?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 10:20:25 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

« Reply #104 on: August 23, 2005, 10:22:02 AM »

Happy B-day DR TCB
[/color][/size]

Matthew

« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2005, 10:23:11 AM »

Woah.. I've asscended to GOD status... hmmm, didn't feel a thing!

Matthew

« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2005, 10:24:05 AM »

On my birthday wishes to TCB, there was suppose to be a picture I attached, why didn't it post??

td

• td
« Reply #107 on: August 23, 2005, 10:24:21 AM »

Welcome to the heavens, DR Matthew!   :)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matthew

« Reply #108 on: August 23, 2005, 10:24:56 AM »

DR Jose, I purchased the Harold Alren Ella CD on iTunes, I'm enjoying it very much.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #109 on: August 23, 2005, 10:25:52 AM »

DR Rodzinski, was it you who went to see AltarBoyz not too long ago?  

I keep getting offers to see it for $45.

Should I?  Is it Vixter friendly?

Well... I've seen it too... So...  ;)

It's a lot of fun.  I'd say it would be very vixter-friendly.  Even the "admiration" that one of the boyz has for one of the other boyz is handled very tongue-in-cheek.  It's lots of fun.  It's also a very loud show - you "are" at a final concert on their tour.  ;)  -That would be my only "caution".

The show is a breezy hour and a half.  And if you happen to get seats in the front, center rows, just know that one or more of the boyz may ended up "anointing" you with their sweat.  -Watch out for that Juan!  ;)

*It's also at Dodger Stages, and the theatre is not that big at all.  I grabbed a seat at TKTS, and even though I was off to the side, it really was not a bad seat at all.  And it was cheaper than the discount vouchers.  -Of course, you have to stand in line at TKTS and pay cash, but...  Just a thought.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #110 on: August 23, 2005, 10:26:41 AM »

Welcome to HHW-God-hood, DR Matthew!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #111 on: August 23, 2005, 10:27:31 AM »

Anyone who has seen Marvin Hamlisch lately will likely concur - in the supplements he's about twenty to thirty pounds thinner than he is now.  

Weren't we "all"????

Oh, "Memories....light the corners of my mind..."

:D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 10:31:18 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #112 on: August 23, 2005, 10:28:13 AM »

DR Jose, I purchased the Harold Alren Ella CD on iTunes, I'm enjoying it very much.  

:)

Does the version on iTunes have the alternate takes of some of the songs, as well as a few of the "blooper" takes?  Those are included in the complete box of Song Books, but I'm not sure they re-did the individual CDs after the box set came out.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2005, 10:28:29 AM »

Until tomorrow night at midnight, Jet Blue is having an incredible sale - I may book a flight to NY in November - really cheap.

Oh, well good grief..of course I already bought my tickets prior to this sale. Doggone it!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #114 on: August 23, 2005, 10:30:12 AM »

On my birthday wishes to TCB, there was suppose to be a picture I attached, why didn't it post??

Well, I guess you could blame me for that.

;)

Well.. Maybe you can, actually... I wonder if we need a picture purge again?  Let me try to posting another pic here to see if it 'works'.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2005, 10:33:41 AM »

Well, it worked.  So, you may just have to try again, DR Matthew.

Btw, that painting is in The Clark.  I forget who the artist is at the moment, but the subject is one of the Habsburgs.  It's quite an amazing painting.  The detail work is astonishing.  You can see the weave of the cloth, the different layers of lace, the embroidery, the jewelry.  Quite stunning.

I was able to snap a few pics without flash.  They came out better than expected - especially since I really don't have that steady a hand.  However, I was able to get this detail shot of one of the hands.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #116 on: August 23, 2005, 10:34:07 AM »

Hey, an HHW get together in Tokyo...that is a great idea!! I had better save my pennies, however.

Which reminds me...shat are the dates of your HHW tour Jose, and of the HHW girl's/boy's night out? I am thinking one was Oct. 4 and the other is the 5th.

I am trying to get an itinerary together for my NY trip.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 10:35:08 AM by MBarnum »

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #117 on: August 23, 2005, 10:34:34 AM »

How could no one have mentioned The Silver Chalice?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #118 on: August 23, 2005, 10:35:22 AM »

DR vixmom - I meant to post this earlier... You can also check out

http://www.altarboyz.com

Lots of information, pics, etc.  That should help you make your decision.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #119 on: August 23, 2005, 10:42:43 AM »

Hey, an HHW get together in Tokyo...that is a great idea!! I had better save my pennies, however.

Which reminds me...shat are the dates of your HHW tour Jose, and of the HHW girl's/boy's night out? I am thinking one was Oct. 4 and the other is the 5th.

I am trying to get an itinerary together for my NY trip.

"shat are the dates"... ???

In any case...

I believe Wednesday has been set aside for the Eating and Walking and More Eating Tour.  More or less an all day affair.  I'm thinking that if people want to leave early or arrive late (head to a matinee and/or evening show), we can all just keep in touch via cell phones and plan accordingly.  I do still plan to start on the Lower East Side at The Donut Plant, then work our way west through Chinatown, then over to SoHo, then to the Village, up to Chelsea, midtown, Lincoln Center, and end up at Artie's for the final meal - and a chance to rest to our feet.  Very leisurely paced.  One could walk that route in about an hour and a half if one wanted to, but I think we'll take six to seven hours for it.  Lots of time for sight-seeing, window shopping, snacking, taking pictures, etc.

As for the "Night Out", I don't think anything official has been discussed.  However, Monday nights are Musical Mondays at Splash - like it was last night - and it's just a lot of fun for everyone.  However, if you'd like to head out somewhere else on another night, I'm sure accommodations can be made.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up