Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: STARTING HERE, STARTING NOW  (Read 11321 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re: STARTING HERE, STARTING NOW
« Reply #180 on: August 30, 2010, 05:43:37 PM »

I think we've had this TOD before, because I remember talking about the incredible Dunford Donuts which used to be a feature at all the Dan's Grocery Stores in SLC growing up.  Simply the most incredible, delectable chocolate donuts you've ever tasted.  When Dan's was sold to Smith's, they kept the bakery, though it lost the Dunford name.  In fact, Betsy had tried what we still referred to as a "Dunford" chocolate donut when we were in SLC shortly after our marriage, and it became her major craving when she was pregnant the first time.  My mother used to freeze 2 dozen of them and FedEx them overnight to us!  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Cillaliz

« Reply #181 on: August 30, 2010, 05:49:58 PM »

Today was quite a day. Not sure if it's because I had so much rest or everything was just ready to be resolved, but I got a lot done, had a lot of patience and really got the week off to a good start

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #182 on: August 30, 2010, 06:06:24 PM »

Yesterday DR Jane wrote:
We took our friend to see SHE LOVES ME and she loved it.  Even Keith said it was the best play we saw all season.   The female lead had a terrific voice.

I am so jealous. I love this musical but have never seen it live. I used to listen to the Ruthie Henshall version over and over ...
Blue Gobo is now featuring Ruthie singing "Ice Cream"

http://www.bluegobo.com/

:D

Not quite as cute as the live performance I saw but then it was live. ;)

Jane

« Reply #183 on: August 30, 2010, 06:07:33 PM »

I think the only thing interesting about Barnes and Noble are there discount remaindered books.  Other than that it is another undisintinguished chain that carries only the best sellers and most popular and has limited variety.  No different than a Borders or anywhere else.  I've peculiar taste and the books I want to buy (those that aren't used), I can get through Amazon cheaper and easier.   I miss the excitement of the hunt and browsing a bookstore, but the truth is, except for a few independents, they all carry the same stuff and it's all fairly mainstream.

The truly sad thing is the loss of the used bookstore, but I'm sure for most of those dealers, it's easier to go online without the overhead of maintaining a shop.  With the demise of interesting book and record stores, shopping has sure gotten boring.

Did you ever go to the original Borders in Ann Arbor?

DR Jane - do you mean the hole-in-the-wall used bookstore that was run by the Border brothers?  I shopped there in the early '70s.

I stand corrected. I mean the funky three (?) story building.

Jane

« Reply #184 on: August 30, 2010, 06:08:15 PM »

The best doughnuts I've ever had were at an Amish farm house in Wisconsin.  The woman making them had just taken them out of the pan over a wood fire. She had them on a long dowel.  We gorged ourselves....

They sound heavenly.

Ginny

« Reply #185 on: August 30, 2010, 06:14:57 PM »

I think the only thing interesting about Barnes and Noble are there discount remaindered books.  Other than that it is another undisintinguished chain that carries only the best sellers and most popular and has limited variety.  No different than a Borders or anywhere else.  I've peculiar taste and the books I want to buy (those that aren't used), I can get through Amazon cheaper and easier.   I miss the excitement of the hunt and browsing a bookstore, but the truth is, except for a few independents, they all carry the same stuff and it's all fairly mainstream.

The truly sad thing is the loss of the used bookstore, but I'm sure for most of those dealers, it's easier to go online without the overhead of maintaining a shop.  With the demise of interesting book and record stores, shopping has sure gotten boring.

DR Jane - do you mean the hole-in-the-wall used bookstore that was run by the Border brothers?  I shopped there in the early '70s.

On State St., right?  I think it opened in the late '70s/early '80s.  By the time we visited with prospective-student Rob in 2002, Border's had moved into the space I knew as Jacobson's on Liberty St.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

td

• td
« Reply #186 on: August 30, 2010, 06:19:48 PM »

I worked in pastries for nearly fourteen years. . .first at Princess Pastries in Parnassus Pennsylvania then in the bakery at Carnegie Mellon University. . . .I don't talk donuts, though every now and again I do like an Old-Fashioned Chocolate Doughnut from Krispy Kreme.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ginny

« Reply #187 on: August 30, 2010, 06:24:07 PM »

I had a very short-lived bakery career the summer between my freshman and sophomore years in college.  There was an older lady named Angie who had worked there forever and specialized in selling "Barbarian" creme donuts.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #188 on: August 30, 2010, 06:39:12 PM »

On State St., right?  I think it opened in the late '70s/early '80s.  By the time we visited with prospective-student Rob in 2002, Border's had moved into the space I knew as Jacobson's on Liberty St.

I was first there in 1991 (?) and was not only impressed by the books but by the staff.  I didn't want to leave.

Jane

« Reply #189 on: August 30, 2010, 06:39:37 PM »

Oh, I guess State Street.  It has been awhile.

Jane

« Reply #190 on: August 30, 2010, 06:42:27 PM »

I don't care for cream filled donuts.  I'm not even all that keen on jelly donuts.  I used to LOVE Winchell's crumb donuts but as with so many things they changed & aren't what they used to be, haven't been for years.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #191 on: August 30, 2010, 07:04:29 PM »

I went to Jerry's Deli and had what I believe to be the smallest sandwich ever - I had an egg salad sandwich (with bacon) on egg bread.  Barely two bites per half.  So, I decided to do the donut thing and got an apple fritter and a cinnamon roll - both were very good and hit the spot and now I am bouncing off the walls and will go for another jog.

Jane

« Reply #192 on: August 30, 2010, 07:13:17 PM »

I was first there in 1991 (?) and was not only impressed by the books but by the staff.  I didn't want to leave.

Correction, I think it was in '95

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #193 on: August 30, 2010, 07:13:28 PM »

Good Evening!

Well, since my last post, I managed to clean the bathroom, make a trip to the grocery store, and prep and cook/grill dinner.  I guess I am feeling better. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #194 on: August 30, 2010, 07:15:27 PM »

Ginny you should befriend Swishy Sarah on FB.  She just posted "moving to Michigan in the morning".  She will be going to graduate school at U of M.

Jane

« Reply #195 on: August 30, 2010, 07:15:46 PM »

Good Evening!

Well, since my last post, I managed to clean the bathroom, make a trip to the grocery store, and prep and cook/grill dinner.  I guess I am feeling better. :)

:)

'night

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #196 on: August 30, 2010, 07:22:22 PM »

Goodnight, Jane.
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #197 on: August 30, 2010, 07:28:05 PM »

TOD krispy kreme  hot and glazed ... alas all the Long Isaldn Krispy Kremes came and went so quickly
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #198 on: August 30, 2010, 08:22:06 PM »

Back from another two-mile jog, so I don't feel too guilty about eating my two big sweets.

Cillaliz

« Reply #199 on: August 30, 2010, 08:27:22 PM »

Don't know if I mentioned it but they dropped the Hist Pres. Grad school clas I had registered for.  It had become a total cluster so I'm glad, not to mention I can use the money I spent on it.  I'll get a full refund.  I'm glad about that

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #200 on: August 30, 2010, 08:47:57 PM »

No doughnuts today, which I think is good news for me. And my body is still aching from going back to Pilates class for the first time in months. Guess I need to treat myself to some sugar-free, low-carb living for a while.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #201 on: August 30, 2010, 08:51:10 PM »

Night, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #202 on: August 30, 2010, 09:03:34 PM »

Well, I am feeling much better, but I can tell that another full night of sleep is what I need to help me feel even betterer. ;)

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #203 on: August 30, 2010, 09:15:17 PM »

Ginny you should befriend Swishy Sarah on FB.  She just posted "moving to Michigan in the morning".  She will be going to graduate school at U of M.

Great news!  I'll look into it tomorrow.

'night!

Ginny

« Reply #204 on: August 30, 2010, 09:15:48 PM »

DR Jose - glad to hear you're feeling better!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #205 on: August 30, 2010, 09:25:57 PM »

Being lazy and listening to music.

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #206 on: August 30, 2010, 10:07:15 PM »

;D
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #207 on: August 30, 2010, 10:12:44 PM »

TOD:  When I was in college at the University of Kentucky, there was an all-night doughnut shop less than a mile from campus called Tastee-O's.  We'd walk there late at night to get fresh doughnuts.  There was also a great doughnut shop, alas no more, in a mini-mall on Franklin right before the Hollywood freeway entrance at Argyle that served best apple fritters.
So, when were you at UK?
Dare I age myself?  From '68 to '72.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #208 on: August 30, 2010, 11:48:50 PM »

Can't just leave it here...
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #209 on: August 30, 2010, 11:49:08 PM »

So, since we're so close...
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up