Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: I HAS SPOKEN  (Read 2616 times)

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
Re: I HAS SPOKEN
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2020, 02:30:14 PM »

As I read DR singdaw's post yesterday, I kept thinking how much more interesting JUDY would have been if Renee had spent half the movie making that shepherd's pie.

;D
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2020, 02:35:03 PM »

Interesting on the TOD. I was reading it differently. Everyone is interpreting "gets you" as in, it affects you. I thought bk meant what is the Sondheim song whose lyrics capture your essence. A very different thing!
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2020, 02:40:00 PM »

I'm up, I'm up - was up at seven-thirty after only four hours of sleep, then went back to bed a little while after and slept till one and I've been catching up ever since.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2020, 02:41:05 PM »

Already been to the mail place and am back, have ordered Hugo's pasta papa with a 30% off deal from Postmates, which rendered the price cheaper than if I'd actually gone there, and am listening to music and shortly I'll have to prepare for this Zoom meeting.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2020, 02:42:27 PM »

There's one recording that's on its way that actually uses young people and apparently it's very good.  I may get that animated version after I've heard the thing and maybe a normal version to see the staging. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2020, 02:43:22 PM »

elmore, I'll try those two operas - I have most of that Entarte series on London and love everything I've heard. 

ChasSmith

« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2020, 02:44:30 PM »

Interesting on the TOD. I was reading it differently. Everyone is interpreting "gets you" as in, it affects you. I thought bk meant what is the Sondheim song whose lyrics capture your essence. A very different thing!

And yet he actually said “gets to you”.  The plot thickens!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2020, 02:45:53 PM »

May I just say what needs to be said: Rudy Giuliani is out of his mind and should be put away somewhere.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2020, 02:46:21 PM »

I love Dorati's The Nutcracker.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2020, 02:48:18 PM »

Yesterday, I got what looks like an interesting book.

It's called THE BIG GOODBYE, and it's about the making of CHINATOWN.

I'll probably start reading it this weekend.

One of the worst books EVER.  I wrote about it extensively right here when it came out back in March, but then you'd have to actually read the notes to know that. :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2020, 03:24:49 PM »

elmore, I'll try those two operas - I have most of that Entarte series on London and love everything I've heard. 

That Schwanda recording seems to be OP in the USA but still in print at amazon.co.uk.  They sing it in German, not Czech, which is fine with me.  I think my Universal Edition vocal score is in German, too.  There's also a DVD of the Braunfels opera from Los Angeles, and it's quite lovely. It might be sung in English.  I can't remember.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2020, 03:29:16 PM »

May I just say what needs to be said: Rudy Giuliani is out of his mind and should be put away somewhere.

I agree, and the fact that he's Trump's personal attorney says it all.  I told him he should never use shoe polish to touch up his gray spots, but he never listens!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2020, 03:33:36 PM »

And yet he actually said “gets to you”. 

Well, blimey!   I stand corrected.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2020, 03:36:50 PM »

There's no translator listed, so maybe it was sung in German.  It's definitely worth seeing.  It's based on Aristophanes' comedy The Birds, in which the birds realize that their Cloud Cuckoo Land lies between Earth and Heaven and that the gods need to cross through their country to get to earth.  So . . . they decide to charge the gods a toll.  It all goes to hell.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2020, 03:37:33 PM »

I had a nice afternoon of collecting food at a drop off in front the theater where I usher. The food was for the San Antonio Food Bank and one of the first people to drop off food also wrote out a $500 check.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2020, 03:39:09 PM »

It was a perfect afternoon with a light breeze and temperatures around 80. The folks who dropped by were really nic, glad to be able to help out. We gave everyone a wine coozy and a Fiesta medal. If there were multiple kids in the car, each kid got a medal.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2020, 03:39:51 PM »

We also took in three times as much food as last year's drive. The weather may have had something to do with it. Last year, it was cold and rainy.
― Voltaire

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2020, 03:40:55 PM »

Someone should bind Trump's tweeting hand behind his back with cohesive tape.  And his mouth, too.

Ya think?? :o

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

John G.

« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2020, 03:41:02 PM »

Hansel und Gretel was the first opera I ever knew about. We learned a modified version when I was in the third grade. I still love those songs, so ethereally beautiful.
― Voltaire

George

« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2020, 03:41:57 PM »

Our county is governed by a 3-member commission.  All 3 county commissioners have tested positive and one is "very ill," according to this morning's paper.

Oh, no!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2020, 03:43:02 PM »

At 5pm we will find out if any of the covid restrictions will be lifted in my province.

I hope that they will let 1-2 people go in other people's houses spaced 6 feet away.

What they are planning to announce is what we are allowed to do for Christmas. And what the kids will do for school in December. They were thinking of having the kids be off for an additional 2 weeks.

Here in Washington state, the governor is shutting things down for the next month...but I certainly understand why. ::)

George

« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2020, 03:44:39 PM »

SUPER DITTO!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2020, 03:57:17 PM »

Hansel und Gretel was the first opera I ever knew about. We learned a modified version when I was in the third grade. I still love those songs, so ethereally beautiful.

I believe that Hansel and Gretel was the first opera broadcast from the Met.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2020, 03:58:39 PM »

I had a nice afternoon of collecting food at a drop off in front the theater where I usher. The food was for the San Antonio Food Bank and one of the first people to drop off food also wrote out a $500 check.

That is fantastic!

George

« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2020, 03:59:18 PM »

There's no translator listed, so maybe it was sung in German.  It's definitely worth seeing.  It's based on Aristophanes' comedy The Birds, in which the birds realize that their Cloud Cuckoo Land lies between Earth and Heaven and that the gods need to cross through their country to get to earth.  So . . . they decide to charge the gods a toll.  It all goes to hell.

Is this a sequel or companion piece to the Shevelove and Sondheim's musical The Frogs, which is also based on Aristophanes' original?

;)

ChasSmith

« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2020, 04:09:11 PM »

I believe that Hansel and Gretel was the first opera broadcast from the Met.

Looks like you’re correct, sir.  Christmas Day, 1931.

ChasSmith

« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2020, 04:09:52 PM »

I didn’t know that, but it seems so perfectly appropriate.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2020, 04:25:14 PM »

While I completely agree I admit that so far I have been able to avoid listening to most of what he said today. 

Jane

« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2020, 04:26:19 PM »

Yesterday, I got what looks like an interesting book.

It's called THE BIG GOODBYE, and it's about the making of CHINATOWN.

I'll probably start reading it this weekend.

One of the worst books EVER.  I wrote about it extensively right here when it came out back in March, but then you'd have to actually read the notes to know that. :)

But if you were reading what he has been saying you would know he doesn't remember ;)

Jane

« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2020, 04:27:45 PM »

That is very nice.  The photos of those car lines in Houston(?) have been sobering.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up