Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: COLONEL FIELDING, COLONEL FIELDING!  (Read 2883 times)

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
Re: COLONEL FIELDING, COLONEL FIELDING!
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2020, 04:47:00 AM »

TWO!
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2020, 05:48:59 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2020, 05:50:39 AM »

Time for a nap.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2020, 05:51:03 AM »

Vibes for Elmore and Stella.
― Voltaire

Jennifer

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2020, 06:43:07 AM »

So apparently Christmas is on but New Year's Eve is cancelled here.  People are allowed to gather (up to 10 people) on Dec 24, 25, 26, 27. But no office parties and no New Year's Eve. Everything else (restaurants, gyms, movie theatres, bars) stay closed till January 11th. I actually don't really care about any of those four things (as take out is still open and i was not comfortable eating in a restaurant anyways). But I am not thrilled about not being able to go in my sister's house.  I feel like many people are probably doing what they want while trying to be careful.  It's going to get so cold between now and January 11th. So visiting outside is not super practical. :(

Although for some reason it is supposed to be 60F today. yet our first snowstorm (of only maybe 2 inches) is scheduled for Sunday. Yeah for today. Not happy about the possibility of snow.

ChasSmith

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2020, 06:54:48 AM »

Good morning, all.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2020, 07:05:19 AM »

Vibes for DR ELMORE & Stella.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2020, 07:06:25 AM »

My cousin called about half an hour ago and said that her mom decided that since they were going to spend the morning at the doctor's office - they probably shouldn't come over.

I wasn't sad......and didn't suggest an alternative.......  So I don't have to worry about company today!  Hurray!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2020, 07:07:42 AM »

I loved INVADERS FROM MARS - saw it first on the Friday Night Late Show....on Channel 8.

We lived in the country and there was a hill and a fence very similar to the one in the movie.....so I kept my eye on it for a long time.

I loved finally seeing it in color a few decades later.

ChasSmith

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2020, 07:16:32 AM »

It's always nice to be reminded of Invaders from Mars. And how rage inducing it is to be likewise reminded of Wade Williams and his deluded views of the corner of the world he inhabits.

The one brief period he was active on the HTF while I've been there, things started civilly but tense, and it quickly went south. It didn't take long for the proceedings to deteriorate thanks to his manner of communication and his twisted ideas on how the responsibilities of film preservation and restoration function in the real world. He ran people's patience and good will right into the ground before the conversation could get anywhere, then he got back into his carriage and huffed.

Having previously heard about the guy and his ways from BK and people like Bob Furmanek, it is nonetheless mind-blowingly infuriating to come face to face with the man and his words.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 07:19:18 AM by ChasSmith »

ChasSmith

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2020, 07:20:14 AM »

Huge vibes for DR Elmore and Stella.

John G.

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2020, 08:23:44 AM »

Jane, I’m finishing The Midnight Library first. In fact, I’m almost at the end.

The Connelly novel is good, and people will love it, but it may be too fast and furious for my mood this week.
― Voltaire

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2020, 08:28:36 AM »

Good Morning!   Last day of work before Thanksgiving break. 

Then the real work begins!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2020, 09:10:34 AM »

DR Matthew, when is your official moving day?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2020, 09:11:12 AM »

I've been to the pharmacy and back.  Stella and I are keeping a distance.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2020, 11:02:49 AM »

Well, it's tough to resist Stella's paw taps.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2020, 11:04:49 AM »

DR George, Aristophanes' plays are neither sequels nor prequels, although if more existed, scholars might change their minds.  All were satirical or political comedies about aspects of Athenian life and the endless Peloponnesian War, and my favorite remains the bawdy, obscene, anti-war Lysistrata.  So The Birds, like Peace, The Clouds, The Wasps and others are not related to The Frogs.

Now, Vaughan Williams composed music for an Oxford production of The Wasps, which he turned into a concert suite, and Braunfels' opera The Birds was first performed in 1920.  It has nothing to do with Sondheim.

I didn't really think that they were related, but thanks for the info...very informative. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2020, 11:05:00 AM »

I did see a local production of a locally adapted version of Lysistrata, but I don't remember if I noticed at the time that Aristophanes had written it.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2020, 11:05:41 AM »

Today I am seriously thinking about taking Stella to the ACC and giving her up.  She just climbed onto the bookcase n ext to my computer table and brought down a shelf of books onto the table, breaking my printer in the process.  This is the second she's destroyed, and I'm too infirm and in too much pain to deal with moving furniture and cleaning the mess.  She's very lucky I couldn't get to my cane when all hell broke loose because I fear I might have beaten her to a pulp.

I am not happy at the moment.

Oh, no! :-\

~~~Vibes of Coping for Larry!!~~~

George

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2020, 11:06:24 AM »

The original poster asked for a 3-word caption. My submission was: "Dole Whip Don't."

:o

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2020, 11:22:45 AM »

My cousin called about half an hour ago and said that her mom decided that since they were going to spend the morning at the doctor's office - they probably shouldn't come over.

I wasn't sad......and didn't suggest an alternative.......  So I don't have to worry about company today!  Hurray!

Excellent and a wise decision.

Jane

« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2020, 11:23:57 AM »

Jane, I’m finishing The Midnight Library first. In fact, I’m almost at the end.

The Connelly novel is good, and people will love it, but it may be too fast and furious for my mood this week.

The Midnight Library was perfect for my mood during these times.  I look forward to the Connelly book once it arrives.

Jane

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2020, 11:25:30 AM »

I have been on hold with See's Candy for a good while.  I am trying to find out why a tin of Toffee-ettes was delivered today.  It say to me and from me on the box label but nothing is inside.

Jane

« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2020, 11:28:05 AM »

So apparently Christmas is on but New Year's Eve is cancelled here.  People are allowed to gather (up to 10 people) on Dec 24, 25, 26, 27. But no office parties and no New Year's Eve. Everything else (restaurants, gyms, movie theatres, bars) stay closed till January 11th. I actually don't really care about any of those four things (as take out is still open and i was not comfortable eating in a restaurant anyways). But I am not thrilled about not being able to go in my sister's house.  I feel like many people are probably doing what they want while trying to be careful.  It's going to get so cold between now and January 11th. So visiting outside is not super practical. :(

Although for some reason it is supposed to be 60F today. yet our first snowstorm (of only maybe 2 inches) is scheduled for Sunday. Yeah for today. Not happy about the possibility of snow.

I am sorry you can't be with your nieces.  Is this because there will already be 10 people there?  Is it possible for you to have a smaller gathering, on a different day, with just you?

Jane

« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2020, 11:47:30 AM »

Today I am seriously thinking about taking Stella to the ACC and giving her up.  She just climbed onto the bookcase n ext to my computer table and brought down a shelf of books onto the table, breaking my printer in the process.  This is the second she's destroyed, and I'm too infirm and in too much pain to deal with moving furniture and cleaning the mess.  She's very lucky I couldn't get to my cane when all hell broke loose because I fear I might have beaten her to a pulp.

I am not happy at the moment.

Larry I think you should call them about Stella.  As difficult as it, is she probably needs a home where she can run more and get more exercise then she does with you.  It is possible you can be considered a foster while they find a home for her.  Talk to them and see what they say.  There also might be other cat rescue groups that take in fosters and can help you.

John G.

« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2020, 12:00:00 PM »

Waiting for a meeting to start.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2020, 12:52:02 PM »

I'm up, I'm up - got up at noon after eight hours of sleep and have been catching up ever since. 

George

« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2020, 01:21:41 PM »

I have been on hold with See's Candy for a good while.  I am trying to find out why a tin of Toffee-ettes was delivered today.  It say to me and from me on the box label but nothing is inside.

???  So?  Do you have to send them back??

George

« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2020, 01:22:02 PM »

Or did Keith secretly send them to you?

George

« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2020, 01:31:20 PM »

And now, since we're so close...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up