Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LAUNDRY LIST  (Read 37956 times)

Ben

Re:THE LAUNDRY LIST
« Reply #270 on: January 07, 2004, 06:35:07 PM »

Oh, my. Criswell. I remember him. I wonder if he has a biography :-)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #271 on: January 07, 2004, 06:55:21 PM »

I'm back!  Now, where was I?

Oh, and do you have his new book on kitchen equipment?  I think I've mentioned it before sometime ago.  In any case, I was very proud of myself when I went through it, and found that I had most of his recommended pieces of kitchen wares - as well as his recommended brands and models.

Of course, my favorite "chunk" - chef+hunk - is still Tyler Florence.  I keep trying to think of a Food 911 emergency of my very own.  I used to like Rocco diSpirito, but now he's just a slickie-boy to me.
The problem with Alton Brown's Gear for the Kitchen is that, if you've already stocked the most important room in the house (well, after the one with the shower and porcelin) and what you've stocked it with isn't what he would have stocked it with, well, you really just have to cash in some of your stock to buy what he would have stocked it with.  This can get expensive!  Just ask der Brucer!  Also, the book would have been more fun if it had included a few pics of Vicki Eng (a.k.a. "W" on the show), but there were probably contract problems.

Oh, if you haven't already discovered it, try giving The Good Eats Fan Page a look.  Go ahead, I'll be patient.

Ah, you're back!  Now, as for Tyler Florence, he's kinda easy on the eyes, but not my type.  Come to think of it, most TV chefs aren't.  But then, I'm not supposed to be watching for that reason.  (Similarly, der Brucer keeps turning on Fox News, but since their big star is O'Reilly, I know der B is behaving himself!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Danise

« Reply #272 on: January 07, 2004, 06:58:36 PM »

Charles, Glad to learn that I am not the only Flynn Fan.  When I was a little girl and didn't know he had died about the time I was born, I very much wanted to grow up and marry him.  It broke my heart when I learned of his death.  

His book, "My Wicked, Wicked Ways" was an eye opener for me.  I think I was eleven when I read it.  My parents never really put any restrictions on my reading.

I'm so proud of myself!  I got the books to download and then figured out how to up load them to my PDA and if that was not enough, I got Adobie Reader Pocket Editon to load to the PDA as well!  I am a computer genius!  Look out , Mark! Today I conquered the PDA, tomorrow the internet!

Whew!  I am tired now after all that and will be hitting the sack when I post this.  I will start reading Benjamin Kritzer on the way to work tomorrow!

Goodnight all!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Michael

« Reply #273 on: January 07, 2004, 07:11:22 PM »

I would like to come to the defense of Toller Cranston. I have had the opportunity in the past to come to meet him on several occassions. My family has had an art gallery in Montreal for the past 30 years and we at one time represented him as one of artists. I always liked his work and we own a painting of his. His use of colors and imagery made his work stand out among the other artists that we represented.

They always said that Cranston as a skater never received the recognition he deserved and he was an skater a head of his time. He broke away from the more staid and traditional moves and allowed the current crop of artists to shine.

Cranston has an artist's personality. He is bigger than life and conducted his life that way. I am sure not everyone who met him liked him, but I did. I was also friendly with his friend the late skater Brian Pockar.

Toller even autographed the cast album of the Toller Cranston Ice Show for me.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #274 on: January 07, 2004, 07:15:16 PM »

BTW I got an email asking who was in the picture. That is me in the background with Christopher Reeves in a scene from the movie Steet Smart. He is about to ask me for a pack of matches.
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #275 on: January 07, 2004, 07:16:17 PM »

JRand53 I’m not a fan of Toller, so guess I will check out INSIDE EDGE.  Thanks.  

Danise I’m glad you are feeling better.

In the DVD player SMALLVILLE and Keith is waiting for me to watch it with him.

I split a tooth tonight.  It doesn’t hurt but I can’t eat until I see the dentist.  I was lucky someone was still in the office and I have an appointment tomorrow morning.

Lulu you are funny.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #276 on: January 07, 2004, 07:19:41 PM »

DR SWW - Thanks for the info on the "Good Eats" DVDs... hmm.. Three episodes per tape/DVD... I may have to investigate further.

-As for tonight's episode... An herb show?  In January?  I guess for those planning a spring - or even winter - herb garden.  And his "herb dryer" rigging was "fun" for a lack of a better word.  I just have to wonder how safe the air filters are - at least once they come in contact with foodstuffs.  Well, at least I know now who to sue.  ;)

DR Emily - I read the article - I guess you were busy today!  And I also learned that you call them ABMs and not ATMs as they called south of your border.

Hmm.. A - B - M....

Oh, nevermind...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #277 on: January 07, 2004, 07:28:29 PM »

Good evening everyone!
I shall soon be winging my way back to the land of sleet and snow, and here's hoping the freshluganah airport is open when I get there.  
Today I went snorkeling..well, kinda, since I didn't have a mask, only goggles...in one of the coral reef bays.  It was AMAZING!!!  I'd never seen tropical fish up close before, and never so many at one time.  They were SO beautiful, and seeing them in their natural habitat, being right in the water with them, made it ever cooler. Definitely one of the highlights of the trip.  A side note, I think one of the fish developed a crush on me.  He (or she) followed me around the reef for a good fifteen minutes.  When I stopped, he circled me.  When I swam, he was right by my feet.  Strange, no?  I swear this is the truth...Tiana will back me up, she saw! :)

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #278 on: January 07, 2004, 07:54:47 PM »

I don't remember anyone saying anything negative about Toller Cranston, so defending him seems unnecessary.  Everything I've read, thus far, has been highly complimentary.

I'm watching ice dancing -- original dance.  It's kinda sorta b-o-r-i-n-g!  Everyone is doing rock 'n' roll, which makes me think they've been told what kind of music to be "original" with.  As it is, they all seem copycat and there's just so much of it you can stand.

Belbin and Tcherneshev (sp???) had to withdraw, which means they won't have a shot at a 6th Consecutive U.S. ice dancing title!!!!!  I HAD NO IDEA THEY HAD ONE TITLE!  But I do seem to remember they couldn't compete at Olympics once because he hadn't been an U.S. citizen long enough...it may have been another multi-cultural U.S. couple, though.

Ah, well.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 09:29:16 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #279 on: January 07, 2004, 08:13:21 PM »

Danise, there are pictures around of Sean Flynn before he was lost. He was very, very handsome.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #280 on: January 07, 2004, 08:21:12 PM »

I liked Carol Heiss, but she went into coaching and didn't seem to do professional ice shows for decades like Peggy Fleming did. Other than her SNOW WHITE movie, I think she kind of faded from view for the masses. I guess she had a family and being a mom was her specialty for awhile and then went into coaching.

DR Michael Shayne, I was greatly pulling for Brian Pockar the year he won the bronze at Worlds. He had lost the Canadian Championship to Brian Orser but bested him at Worlds. I was so happy about that. Orser, of course, twice won the Worlds and won two silvers in the 84 and 88 Olympics.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #281 on: January 07, 2004, 08:34:58 PM »

A book about Ann Miller, but not by Ann Miller would be quite interesting.  Her autobiography Miller's High Life makes Belle Poitrine's Little Me seem serious and true by comparison.  At least once a chapter Ms. Miller reminds readers that she looked older than her age as a child and so added years to make her actually seem older and now she is actually much younger than published reports because of this.  This is an excellent book for people who like to read between the lines.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #282 on: January 07, 2004, 08:40:16 PM »

Trying to test something on my computer...having trouble finding an image small enough...these may dissapear...
...Walk in the sunshine...

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #283 on: January 07, 2004, 08:44:41 PM »

It WOOOOORKED! Finally!

Laura II should love THAT picture...

And hello to everyone, thank you for your kind words about my mom. She's doing alright at the moment, but she needs my help a lot more than she did before.

I'll try to post from school later in the week, but I'm not sure how much time I'll have, with exam preps and all.

Nice to read posts though, such fun conversation!

Catch up later,

Sarah
...Walk in the sunshine...

Matt H.

« Reply #284 on: January 07, 2004, 08:48:22 PM »

Before my TV shows came on tonight, I had the strangest desire to watch the movie MAME. Oh, does Lucy ever butcher those songs. She's barely on pitch while singing, but there's no character to her voice, no emotion - it's just struggling to hit the notes, and you hear it in every song. What a disaster she is. And there she sat front and center at the Golden Globes fully expecting to win that year, and when Raquel Welch's name was called (for THE THREE MUSKETEERS), you knew she wanted to drop to the floor.

Funny, too, that Audrey Christie, who plays Mrs. Upson in the film, played Vera when I first saw MAME with Janis Paige in NYC.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #285 on: January 07, 2004, 08:55:23 PM »

When you folks are through discussing the ferschlugeneh ice capades and wanna talk about a real sport--women's roller derby--lemme know.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

« Reply #286 on: January 07, 2004, 08:57:57 PM »

Back to Raquel Welch again for me if we're going to talk roller derby. KANSAS CITY BOMBER is the extent of my knowledge about roller derby. Oh, it used to come on Saturday early evening in our area, but I only watched when the men were skating, and even then only half heartedly. They wore too many clothes. CHampionship Wrestling - now there you could see a lot more!

Matt H.

« Reply #287 on: January 07, 2004, 09:07:56 PM »

I want to apologize if I've poured on the skating talk too much here today. I guess I DO get carried away when the subject comes up, and I get so little chance to talk about it ever. None of my friends in town are the LEAST bit interested in it, and it was exciting to find some like-minded fans here.

Now that I'm headed for bed, others can come out of hiding and have no fear that more skate talk is going to descend upon their heads, at least from me.

[DR Ron may be lurking some place, however.]

Good night.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #288 on: January 07, 2004, 09:20:11 PM »

Oh, piffle, Jay!

Nobody is making folks talk about ice skating.  We talk about it because we want to.  You can talk about whatever you want to talk about, too.  I do it all the time.

:D

That said, I was very disappointed in the judging in pairs.  The first place pair ought to be third, the second place oaur ought to be fourth, the third place pair ought to be first and the fourth place pair ought to be second.

But maybe that's why I stopped watching pairs and ice dancing....all the judges don't judge on "performance" -- it's all about what the team "should" be capable of doing.  So if the so-called "top pair" skates poorly, they're going to be placed first no matter what.  If a pair that finished fifth last year skates its heart out and doesn't make mistakes like falling on triple throws or side-by-side triple jumps, they're still going to be fourth or fifth even though the "favored" pair falls and fails -- AGAIN -- to live up to "potential."

Judging is still terrible!

Now!  Talk away everyone about whatever.  I talk about what I want to.  I don't wait for others to post something interesting that I can contribute to.  If something doesn't interest me, I post what's on my mind.

Y'all all know that, though, dontcha!!!

;D

DR MattH:  You'd better be talking about this competition tomorrow 'cause I'm gonna quiz you on it.

Mens and women's short programs air on ESPN2 tomorrow night -- 7 p.m. PST/10 p.m. EST!!!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 09:23:06 PM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #289 on: January 07, 2004, 09:21:14 PM »

Say, where did everybody go.  Our frenzy turned into a fre.  Well, maybe the late-night denizens will show up soon.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #290 on: January 07, 2004, 09:24:01 PM »

Is anybody there???

Does anybody care???

Does anybody see...what I see???

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #291 on: January 07, 2004, 09:25:57 PM »

I'm sorry, BK, but I'm not up to last night's post-a-thon.

I'm exhausted.  It's all I can do to keep from falling into bed right this minute.

I'm trying to wait until 10, but not sure I'm gonna.............................make........... .............it.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #292 on: January 07, 2004, 09:27:16 PM »

It WOOOOORKED! Finally!

Laura II should love THAT picture...

Heck, Sarah....quite a few of our posters are gonna love THAT picture.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #293 on: January 07, 2004, 09:47:47 PM »

Ooo, I'm the only one online right now!  (aka vanity post!)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Laura II

« Reply #294 on: January 07, 2004, 09:51:19 PM »

Laura II loves that picture! Drew is the guy with "is" on his stomach! Those are guys from my class before Homecoming 2002! Thanks Sarah!
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #295 on: January 07, 2004, 09:52:36 PM »

I know - we tuckered out everyone last night.  Still, there's plenty of evening left for our late-night denizens so let's keep the home fries burning, shall we?  And remember, big announcement in tomorrow's notes.

Tomovoz

« Reply #296 on: January 07, 2004, 10:08:31 PM »

I shall return in an hour when I have read 10 pages of posts. Perhaps they are all conspiracy theories about my absence today. I'm back and I am smiling.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Laura II

« Reply #297 on: January 07, 2004, 10:16:02 PM »

Ok, I will identify the guys in the picture from left to right:
"0"--Ryan, future president of the United States
"3"--Josh, Drew's best friend
"is"--Drew
"S"--Matt
"U"--Ryan B.
"P"--Bobby
"E"--Mike
"R"--Colin

Some of the best looking guys in school, minus Colin!
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

td

• td
« Reply #298 on: January 07, 2004, 10:24:14 PM »

I have been immersed in Season 8 of THE X FILES for review purposes tonight, and that's a lot of Robert Patrick to sit through.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #299 on: January 07, 2004, 10:25:20 PM »

DR SwishySarah and LauraII:  I thought you guys lived in different cities?  Maybe not, I'll have to check the Member info.  But if you do live in different cities, how does LauraII know who's in the picture that SwishySarah posted?  Inquiring minds want to know.

-And I guess that whole boxers sticking out of the jeans isn't such a bad look after all.

-Hmmm.. There's something slightly illegal in that sentence... hmmm...???
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15   Go Up