Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: MARCHING INTO MARCH  (Read 30375 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
MARCHING INTO MARCH
« on: March 01, 2004, 12:02:55 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, and you can now march into March by making loads of lovely posts on any number of things talked about in said notes.  On your mark, get set, go!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2004, 12:01:47 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:MARCHING INTO MARCH
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 12:12:09 AM »

I have nothing to say other than good-night, but as I was the last poster on the Feb. 29th. (and that won't happen again for a few years!), I'd like to be the first poster on March 1st.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 12:21:13 AM »

Oops (spoo, spelled backwards) didn't look at my calendar -  you may now bitch-slap me from here to eternity and hell and back because we've got a birthday to celebrate so quick, on with our colored tights and pantaloons and our pointy party hats, quick, out with the cheese slices and ham chunks, quick dance the hora and the can can because today is dear reader Kurt's birthday.  Let's all wish him a big haineshisway.com birthday cheer: On the count of one - one:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR READER KURT AND WHY DON'T YOU TRY POSTING ONCE IN A WHILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 12:52:20 AM »

Happy Birthday Kurt and a special greeting to another birthday boy - Ray. How about some special Ray humour returning to the site once in a while? I know you'll get the message.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 03:44:38 AM »

A very quick Good Morning!  Happy Birthday to Ray.  I don't think we've spoke.

I'll bet I'm one of the few who is still blissfully unaware of who won what last night and couldn't care less.  I had a wonderful time in my dreams and feel well and truly rested this morning.  :D

Have a wonderful day today, posters and lurkers. Be safe, be happy and be here when I get home.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2004, 04:54:13 AM »

I give the Oscars high marks for intelligence, pace and taste. Billy Crystal was warm and very funny. And I'm glad I watched the Barbara Walters special only because it made me appreciate Billy Crystal's hilarious Diane Keaton parody. (But geez, Barbara asks dumb questions.) What I really liked is that the presenters overall showed respect for the industry. Some years, there's too much mocking by lightweight presenters who don't care whether they can pronounce the nominees' names.

I agree that the Blake Edwards tribute was poorly done. And though Katharine Hepburn was of course a legend, it seemed odd that her passing was given a stand-alone tribute while Gregory Peck's got an honorable mention.

I started to watch Lost in Translation last week, but the DVD was defective and we saw only about one-third. Based on that chunk, I could not understand how the movie even got nominated for best original screenplay. Were the final two-thirds that good?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2004, 05:01:27 AM »

DR Danise - Erin Go Braugh!  LOL....it's lovely!  ;D

I will let The Evil Kurt know he should get in here on his birthday!

I stopped watching the Oscars at 10 pm.....boring.....to me....interesting and everyone looked nice, mostly, but so long.  And well...I don't like Billy Crystal...I have always hated the host bit....so self serving....

Liked the Bob Hope tribute....what there was...but anyway...congratulations to all the winners!

And yes DRPanni, a LOT of us have been practicing an acceptance speech since we were kids!  8)

My most memorable Oscar moment (among many) was Louise Fletcher's win, when she thanked her parents in sign language.....  :D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2004, 05:28:37 AM »

Was errant and truant for most of the weekend. Watched the Oscars with friends. It was OK. Nothing special about the show. I only saw one of the nominated movies and that was Finding Nemo. I may see some of the others on DVD or video but I doubt that I will go out of my way to see them. Movies just don't hold much interest for me the way they used to (most current movies that is, there are classics from earlier times that can still move me). I remember when I would try to see at least every movie nominated in the major categories but it doesn't happen anymore. I still try to see everything that happens here on stage in NY so I can watch the Tonys with more interest and knowledge but movies have just moved to a different rung in the level of importance.

While I don't mean to sound this way, and I am not dismissing the importance of movies, I feel like Donald from Boys in the Band when he and Michael are arguing about the merits of movies versus theatre After Donald makes a bitchy comment about film and the lack of sophistication, Michael says, "Pardon me if your sense of art is offended, but odd as it may seem there wasn't a Shubert Theatre in Hot Coffee, Mississippi!" Oh, well. Back to work for me. I'll pop in now and then but there isn't much more for me to say about the Oscars so I'll try to come up with something else to talk about :-)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2004, 06:16:41 AM »

Do any DR's remember any 1950's TV movie theme songs....I am specifically thinking of stuff like The Early Show and The Late Show....

I am looking for a specific song to use during a slapstick pantomime....and my first thought is The Syncopated Clock...

Any other suggestions?  Thanks!

Ben

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2004, 06:24:50 AM »

I think where I grew up The Syncopated Clock was the theme for The Big Movie, an afternoon movie on one of the local Minneapolis stations. I can't think of the title of another one but it was very sweeping and grand (if that makes any sense in describing a musical theme) and made me think of Westerns. I'll have to ask one of my sisters (they all still live in Minnesota) if they can remember it.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2004, 06:33:42 AM »

Using the method I described yesterday (taping half the Oscars then zapping through them while the second half taped and then zapping through them) worked great.  We not only saw what we wanted of the Oscars but were able to watch the entire episode of "The L Word" in between.  First of all, why announce an 8:00 start and then have a half hour of people walking in, not starting until 8:30.  Since we zapped through most of it and didn't hear the introductions we didn't recognize at least half of the presenters.  Actually, all we stopped to watch were the tributes to dead celebrities, the animated awards and two of the songs.

Since we are not big Sci-Fi or Fantasy (at least that kind) films, I have a question... was LOTR 3 really so much better than LOTR 1 or 2 which won almost nothing or do you think the awards were actually for the whole trilogy?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2004, 06:42:59 AM »

Jennifer - last night:
...Nicole Kidman (in what looked like silver on my tv...

Nicole was in a light green:

"Nicole Kidman complemented her light-green satin Chanel gown with a necklace of 195 carats of natural green diamonds."

For a Fashion Photo Essay
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2004, 07:20:16 AM »

I have to correct something DR RLP said last night about GIGI's Oscars. MGM did NOT include Maurice Chevalier's honorary Oscar as one of GIGI's wins. It was nominated for 9 Oscars and won in every category where it was nominated: Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Art Direction, Costumes, Cinematography, Film Editing, Song, Score.

I enjoyed the evening very much. I thought Crystal was fine; his material might not been quite as sharp as in previous years, but it was still entertaining, and he kept the show moving.

Thankfully, they HAVE done away with the awful Debbie Allen production numbers, and the entire show seems classier and more digified than it used to be. Even though the Oscars are no more or less a publicity tool than any other awards, they are looked on by much of the world as the highest award a film can win, so I'm glad the show has gained in respectibility in recent years.

I thought Charlize Theron, Renee Zellweger, and Shohreh Aghdashloo had the most beautiful dresses, though I liked Catherine Zeta-Jones' gown, too. Unlike BK, the long tie with the tux doesn't bother me nearly as much, and as it's been done for the last three or four years, seems to have settled into fashion acceptability.

As for the movie song, JRand was asking about, the local station here that used to run movies on Monday night used Doris Day's "Hooray for Hollywood" as its theme song. The Late Show here also used "The Syncopated Clock."
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2004, 07:21:07 AM »

Do any DR's remember any 1950's TV movie theme songs....I am specifically thinking of stuff like The Early Show and The Late Show....

I am looking for a specific song to use during a slapstick pantomime....and my first thought is The Syncopated Clock...

Any other suggestions?  Thanks!

JRand53, I can send you a couple of CDs of that crazy 50s music that I have sent you samples of on past compilations, if you like. There might be a piece that you could use.

Matt H.

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2004, 07:32:37 AM »

WEL, the first LOTR won 4 Oscars. The second one won 2. I think after the first film lost Best Picture, it was a foregone conclusion that members of the Academy were waiting for the emotional climax of the trilogy if they planned to honor it at all (which may explain why Peter Jackson wasn't even nominated for a directing Oscar for the second film).

I can't say one part is better than the other as they're all three masterful films. But the emotional payoff was so much stronger (for me at least) in the conclusion because I had not read the second or third books in the trilogy and had no idea how the story was going to end. After a three year journey with these characters, I got a wonderfully dramatic and satisfying conclusion, and I think that's why the movie has been more successful than the other two at the box-office and why is was honored more than the other parts.

And, there has never been anything like this trilogy in terms of conception and production results. I'm so glad it has been honored in this way.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2004, 07:38:16 AM »

DR MBARNUM let me check the CD's you sent me....I might use something from there...you are right!  I appreciate the offer but I need it TOMORROW!!  Of course!

I thought Jennifer Garner's dress was lovely....and CZJ's dress was also very pretty....and it doesn't hurt that they know how to wear them!

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2004, 08:03:33 AM »

Yep, I meant to mention Jennifer Garner's dress, too. Absolutely stunning shade that completely complemented her own coloring and made the whole effect even more dazzling.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2004, 08:14:43 AM »

Enough with what the stars were wearing - what were our Dear Readers wearing whilst watching the ceremony.  I was in lovely pants made of jean, and a top which really complemented my hair.  I made a "no jewelry" statement and hope to start a trend.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2004, 08:18:05 AM »

I had on a black t-shirt, gray sweat pants, white socks, and blue corduroy bedroom slippers.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2004, 08:24:15 AM »

Already I feel our fashion is better.  Let's have a complete fashion report from everyone.  And be detailed.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2004, 08:37:12 AM »

Well I was wearing a white t-shirt with the I LOVE LUCY heart logo in the middle surrounded by Lucy faces:  Vitameatavegamin, Waters of the Minnetonka, Lucy on the phone, Aunt Martha's salad dressing, women from Mars, and the loving cup.

Green sweat pants, white socks, and brown Natural Issue boxer briefs....Capezio dance sneakers for a bit....and then they came off!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2004, 08:37:39 AM »

We are waiting.  Mr. Blackwell is going to bitch-slap each and every one of you that doesn't have a fashion report.

Ben

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2004, 08:38:45 AM »

I wore grey striped Hanes (not His Way) boxer-brief combo underwear. Over that I wore denim jeans with the hem rolled into a cuff. I wore white crew socks and white tennis shoes. On top I wore a dark blue heavy Polo-type shirt and a sweatshirt from Providence, RI. I had on my Universal Studios baseball cap and when I arrived carrying my salad fixings from Fairway for our potluck, I was wearing a tasteful brown leather zip up jacket. During the course of the evening, as we partook of pork roast in a light gravy with new potatoes and baby carrots and a mixed green salad, grape tomatoes and sliced white mushrooms (the dressing was of a honey mustard and vinegarette variety), I removed the sweatshirt and my tennis shoes. We then had a delicious apple dessert along with three choices of ice cream and/or fresh whipped cream (with just a hint of vanilla) and coffee. As the evening wound down I put both my shoes and my sweatshirt back on so when the proceedings were over (after midnight NY time) I could more quickly leave 93rd Street and get back home to 16th Street.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2004, 08:41:09 AM by Ben »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2004, 08:38:49 AM »

Someone should do a running commentary on the Hainsies/Kimlets fashions as we all came down the red carpet on our way to the partay.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2004, 08:49:51 AM »

Dear readers Noel and George must be writing a Don de Lillo novel.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2004, 08:53:56 AM »

Movies just don't hold much interest for me the way they used to (most current movies that is, there are classics from earlier times that can still move me). I remember when I would try to see at least every movie nominated in the major categories but it doesn't happen anymore. I still try to see everything that happens here on stage in NY so I can watch the Tonys with more interest and knowledge but movies have just moved to a different rung in the level of importance.

While I don't mean to sound this way, and I am not dismissing the importance of movies, I feel like Donald from Boys in the Band when he and Michael are arguing about the merits of movies versus theatre After Donald makes a bitchy comment about film and the lack of sophistication, Michael says, "Pardon me if your sense of art is offended, but odd as it may seem there wasn't a Shubert Theatre in Hot Coffee, Mississippi!"

Oh, boy, do I feel for you, Ben.  I'm someone who loves theatre and finds films - especially new ones - only mildly diverting.  While I missed "...Rings" I saw many of the other nominees and found them perfectly pleasant but nothing to write home about.  But when I saw Ian McKellen some years back in a play called Amadeus, now that was shattering... and I did write home about it.

Of course, one genre has nothing to do with another.  (True, some films are based on plays and vice versa: I'll say the movie of Amadeus wasn't nearly as powerful as the play; I'll also say the stage musical of Sweet Smell of Success wasn't nearly as powerful as the black and white movie.)  But, for some reason (and your quote from The Boys in the Band exemplifies), people consider you some sort of a snob for loving the theatre.  Is this true of other genres?  If I said I prefer sculpture to photography, does that make me elitist?

I realize a movie costs only ten bucks to see and a Broadway show is ten times higher.  I happen to think it's ten times better.  And, like the quote you quoted, I realize not everybody has the same sort of access to theatre.  That's one of the reasons I live in New York, in relative squalor, so I can be where the theatre is.  It's a financial choice, where we live, often, isn't it?

Glad to share that rung with you, Ben.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2004, 08:54:25 AM »

Forget DeLillo, they're writing a J.R.R. Tolkien trilogy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2004, 08:54:54 AM »

LOL....  ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2004, 08:58:58 AM »

What "people" consider people who love theater snobs?  I love some theater and I love some movies.  I hate some theater and I hate some movies.   Some movies have been much better than any theater I've ever seen, and some theater has been better than anything the movies could have done.  It's not black-and-white, and it is possible to straddle both worlds, as I have done my entire life, and which is obvious when you read the Kritzer books.  In the third book Benjamin discovers theater and it transforms him and changes his life.  Does it end his love for films.  Nope.  

If you're being specific about today's films, then you won't get much of an argument from me, as I'm on record as not liking very many of them.  But, occasionally we do get a gem, and those gems are as good as theater any day of the week, month or year.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2004, 09:02:06 AM »

Now, here we have the case of Curious George.  Curious George was writing a post.  Then he was previewing a post.  Now he is reading the board and said post has disappeared into the ether.  Since that entire process took twenty minutes, I'm endlessly Curious BK as to what that post was about and why Curious George decided not to post it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up