Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: MARCHING INTO MARCH  (Read 30405 times)

Ben

Re:MARCHING INTO MARCH
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2004, 10:53:00 AM »

I'm listening to Donald's show this week. Some very funny (and some very good) stuff.

Linda Eder doing a club mix version of I Am What I Am and the Weather Girls washing that man right out of their hair(s) are two highlights.

Go listen.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2004, 11:11:57 AM »

Yesterday RLP bemoaned:
But in real life, poor Liv does not have the first clue that the narrowness of her face, plus the angles of her cheeks, are NOT complemented by the totally weird, zany hairdos she favors.  It throws her looks way off kilter.  Someone please toss her a CLUE!

InStyle gives a clue:

Liv Tyler's side-swept hair allowed her shoulder-grazing drop earrings by H. Stern to stand out.

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2004, 11:13:58 AM »

I think I will be Odgen Nash today:

Why is it the people who want to be naked
Are not the people I want to see naked?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Emily

« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2004, 11:23:57 AM »

Good afternoon all on this beautiful post-Oscar day!

The reason for my e&tness?  The simple (and sad) news = my computer died.  It was only 5 months old which makes the death all the more tragic.  

Saturday I turned it on and I heard the fan going and the monitor turned on but nothing happened.  I phone Dell.  They had me OPEN the computer (yes... OPEN the whole tower) and start pulling video and sound cards around for FOUR HOURS (including one hour on hold).  I was close to tears (especially because I cut my hand on the sharp edge of one of the cards and started to bleed and I was waving my hand around while trying to manipulate very annoying computer bits all while trying to not bleed ON THE INSIDES OF MY COMPUTER.  The Dell guy laughed at me when I explained what happened).  Today or tomorrow another Dell guy is coming to my house to either fix the dang thing or bring me another one.  I will be happy.  I am definitely not happy about having to re-install Windows XP which means I have lost every document I had on the system (including school stuff).

*sniffle*

The Oscars were fun if not spectacular.  I will admit that the Triplettes de Belleville song was anything but not entertaining.  Was that really a vacuum the guy was playing?  I cheered with my family and waved a virtual fleur-de-lis flag when Les Invasions Barbares won for best foreign language film.  

Today it is bright and sunny and warm and I think spring may actually be here.  People are sitting outside again.  Woo hoo!  Huzzah!  

I will promise to be more un-eandt when the dell disaster becomes the divine dell.

Have a great day everyone! :D
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

DERBRUCER

« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2004, 11:25:17 AM »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2004, 11:32:03 AM »

DR EMILY I am sending you good computer vibes...How annoying and distressing!!!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2004, 11:32:06 AM »

Brevity may be the soul of wit, Dear Reader der Brucer, but your last post takes that notion to a new plane.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2004, 11:33:59 AM »

I have only one question regarding last night (well, maybe more, but I’ll start with one):

How can someone like Vera Wang, who is responsible for some of the most beautiful evening gowns around year in and year out, show up at the Oscars wearing one of the least attractive gowns of the entire evening?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DERBRUCER

« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2004, 11:36:32 AM »

Ah, yes, I remember it well.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2004, 11:40:16 AM »

Ah, yes, I remember it well.

But the picture does not show the egg-shaped purse that she conveniently "dropped."
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2004, 11:45:17 AM »

Frankly, I thought Cher's Oscar for MOONSTRUCK was as much a joke as the outfit she wore to accept it in. If the Academy wanted to honor her, her performance in SILKWOOD (which she was nominated for) was much more deserving.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2004, 11:47:39 AM »

You know DRTCB - the shoemaker's children always go barefoot!

Jennifer

« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2004, 12:05:54 PM »

Here's something fun.

We can judge last night's Oscar fashion.

(and see if most people agree with us):

http://et.tv.yahoo.com/celebrities/hitormiss/

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2004, 12:07:01 PM »

Why is it the people who want to be naked
Are not the people I want to see naked?

Hey!  I resemble that remark!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2004, 12:10:33 PM »

Here she is DR's....Ms Megan McKinney as Lucille Ball in the play LOVING LUCY by Philip blue owl Hooser, directed by Jack Randall Earles at the Phoenix Theatre in, Indianapolis!   ;D

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2004, 12:11:42 PM »

Frankly, I thought Cher's Oscar for MOONSTRUCK was as much a joke as the outfit she wore to accept it in. If the Academy wanted to honor her, her performance in SILKWOOD (which she was nominated for) was much more deserving.

Awww...Moonstruck is one of my all-time favs and I loved Cher's performance.

I can't help but feel that the decision to try and musicalize this movie is a bad idea.  The way the characters speak it's already an opera.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2004, 12:12:31 PM »

LOL DTM - present company excepted, of course.

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2004, 12:12:59 PM »

Here's what I thought:

Sandra Bullock: BIG HIT
Uma: miss
Angelina Jolie: hit
Nicole: hit (btw, here it says the dress is silver, although elsewhere it says light green)
Oprah: looked nice
Diane Lane: she looked nice, but not my fav dress
Julia Roberts: okay, not crazy about this one

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2004, 12:17:37 PM »

Yesterday RLP bemoaned:

InStyle gives a clue:

Liv Tyler's side-swept hair allowed her shoulder-grazing drop earrings by H. Stern to stand out.

Please note that they did not complement this hair don't in any way whatsoever.  Everyone was so AGOG over the "stiletto earrings" -- a year or two back it was the "junk in the trunk" dresses.

Gimme a BREAK!

As for Cher's performance in "Moonstruck," DRMattH, you and I shall have to seriously disagree.  Never, IMO, has Oscar more happily made a match than when it went to Cher for this movie!

She was fantastic!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2004, 12:20:59 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2004, 12:21:19 PM »

Was it just me, or did Nicole Kidman look terrible?  She's way too thin, and that light-green dress is far too light for her fair coloring (ditto the blonde rinse).  

I sort of agree in that the color of her dress may have washed her out a bit. But it was a very pretty dress!

The only moment this year that came even somewhat close to that (without touching it) was when the Finding Nemo guy finished up his speech with, "And my wife...I wrote it in a note to you in the 8th grade, and now I can finally say it in front of a billion people: I love you."

I had forgotten about that. Yes, it actually was very touching!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2004, 12:29:45 PM »

I am fairly certain that "Vintage Valentino" means that the house of Valentino opened its refrigerated archives and allowed gowns from older collections to be selected.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2004, 12:31:53 PM »

I thought the great performance in MOONSTRUCK was Nicholas Cage's.  A dangerous actor.

MBarnum

« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2004, 12:33:25 PM »

I think that Renee Zellweger's gown was the loveliest of all, followed by the beautiful red zinger that Catherine Zeta-Jones had on.

And I absolutely loved Marcia Gay Harding's 1960s do.

I also thought (sorry RLP) that Liv Tyler's do was smashing particularly with her cat-eye glasses!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2004, 12:36:20 PM »

Most memorable Oscar moment of all-time for me was the night that the curtains parted to reveal Patricia Neal who had lingered on the brink of death for so long center stage.  To me, it was one of the most heart-felt and spontaneous standing ovations I ever remember seeing on any of the Oscar telecasts.  
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2004, 12:38:35 PM »

I think that Renee Zellweger's gown was the loveliest of all, followed by the beautiful red zinger that Catherine Zeta-Jones had on.

Ha ha!  For a moment, I thought Red Zinger was Renee's sister.
“One thing’s universal,

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2004, 12:48:47 PM »

Instead of a roll-call about what we're all wearing, how about what we're all reading?  What's on your nightstand (and yes, I read in bed, just like Panni does).

For me:

POWER...a so-far interesting play by Nick Dear that was produced at the National Theatre last year about Louis the 14th and his minister Fouquet.

EXPOSED BY THE MASK, Form and Language in Drama by Sir Peter Hall,  a series of lectures he did at Trinity College, Cambridge.

And a mediocre thriller that for now shall go nameless that someone wants me to adapt.  

Panni, how many bad books do you read a year that someone wants you to adapt...or worse, bad screenplays that someone wants you to re-write.  I've pretty much eliminated the bad screenplays simply because of my rather stringent rules for re-writing, but I really resent the time I waste reading crap novels...and I wonder why someone bought them in the first place.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2004, 12:54:54 PM »

I've just thought of two not-long-gone favorite Oscar moments:

Anna Paquin uncontrollably sobbing during her acceptance of the Best Supporting Actress award for The Piano

and

Woody Allen's sudden appearance during the 2002 Oscar presentation and then being hilariously self-deprecating about it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2004, 01:09:22 PM by Dan (the Man) »
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2004, 01:07:50 PM »

Instead of a roll-call about what we're all wearing, how about what we're all reading?  What's on your nightstand (and yes, I read in bed, just like Panni does).

There's always a stack of this week's comic books.  And I'm about half way through with Goat by Brad Land (not exactly a pleasant bed-time read.)  Next up will be the Kander & Ebb Colored Lights book.
-- Anaïs Nin

Robin

« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2004, 01:30:17 PM »

Instead of a roll-call about what we're all wearing, how about what we're all reading?

I'll do both!

What I wore during the Oscars was my favorite pair of cut-off jeans, and a tank-top with a picture of Captain Kirk on it.  Bare feet, the way God intended you to watch the Oscars.  

What I'm reading now is Evolution, a novel by Stephen Baxter.  I'm loving it.  
Also on the nightstand is The Plastic Man Archives, Volume 5, by Jack Cole.  Laugh-out-loud funniness.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2004, 01:33:17 PM »

There's always a stack of this week's comic books.  And I'm about half way through with Goat by Brad Land (not exactly a pleasant bed-time read.)  Next up will be the Kander & Ebb Colored Lights book.

D-T-M -- If you are into comic books, are you familiar with Brian Michael Bendis?
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up