Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MIDNIGHT HOUR  (Read 57042 times)

singdaw

Re:THE MIDNIGHT HOUR
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2007, 07:29:01 AM »

DR Ben [and others] - thanks for your patience with the new guy.  I had somehow got the impression that Donald's radio broadcasts weren't happening any longer, or that there was some sort of technical problem.

I am glad to stand corrected!  :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2007, 07:32:04 AM »

And it's time to get ready for work.  Already.

Le sigh.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2007, 07:35:50 AM »

TOD:

Car CD:  The Ruth Draper monologues I & II [let's split a chocolate eclair!]

"I've got a box, but no men."
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2007, 07:38:26 AM »

"I've got a box, but no men."

Ruth obviously didn't hang out at HHW!    ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2007, 07:38:29 AM »

Good Morning!

WOW!  What a difference being able to sneak an extra hour of sleep in makes.

I'm up, I'm up, and I'm not going to take it anymore!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2007, 07:39:43 AM »

Here, we have plenty of men and packages boxes.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2007, 07:40:27 AM »

DR elmore3003 - thanks very much for posting the Kathleen Battle article yesterday.  Most interesting!

I tried to post an anecdote my late baritone friend William Parker told me, but I lost it when I tried to post it because I'd added Will's photo.  I'm not even sure after so many years that I'm telling this accurately.

Will told me that Ms Battle and Ms Jessye Norman were in a European (London?) production of Nozze di Figaro and at the opening party someone read an article mentioning the "black American soprano Kathleen Battle."  At which point Ms Battle began a tantrum about "it's always black American soprano!" She finally became so worked up and hostile that she left the party.  At which point the wonderful black American soprano Jessye Norman said to the stunned crowd, "well, someone had to tell her."
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2007, 07:40:59 AM »

DR elmore - Two things:

1) I've actually been looking at those new critical editions myself.  The "dormant" vocal coach in me may end up purchasing one or two of them.  And since I can get them through my old music store, I can can get them at a nice discount.  Well, at least at a discount.  So...  Shall I investigate what the cost-cost would be for you?  ;)

2) Dinner tonight?
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2007, 07:42:58 AM »

DR elmore - Two things:

1) I've actually been looking at those new critical editions myself.  The "dormant" vocal coach in me may end up purchasing one or two of them.  And since I can get them through my old music store, I can can get them at a nice discount.  Well, at least at a discount.  So...  Shall I investigate what the cost-cost would be for you?  ;)

2) Dinner tonight?

Yes to both!  When do we plan on EARNEST IN LOVE and DARK AT THE TOP OF THE STAIRS? I have to plan a trip to Ohio.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2007, 07:43:03 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

My iPod has been on "shuffle" this week while I've been on the subway.  That's been about it.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2007, 07:44:38 AM »

Yes to both!  When do we plan on EARNEST IN LOVE and DARK AT THE TOP OF THE STAIRS? I have to plan a trip to Ohio.

OK!

Well, I'll bring the flyers for both shows with me tonight, then we can go over schedules then.

Do you want to sup up in your 'hood, or do you want to venture downtown?  -I'll be back at Chelsea from 3:00-6:00 today.  Call you/call me.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2007, 07:45:31 AM »

If anyone's interested, here's the info on the Johann Strauss Edition.  I want them al!  And they could be very tasteful Christmas gifts for certain individuals who deserve them like, well, me, for instance!
http://www.strauss.at/en/e_neue_gesamt.html

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2007, 07:46:47 AM »

OK!

Well, I'll bring the flyers for both shows with me tonight, then we can go over schedules then.

Do you want to sup up in your 'hood, or do you want to venture downtown?  -I'll be back at Chelsea from 3:00-6:00 today.  Call you/call me.

Upper West Side, please.  After schlepping back from the library, all I don't want to do is travel around.  Are you working (studio or 42nd Street) tomorrow afternoon?

FJL

« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2007, 07:47:25 AM »

Continued audition vibes to Anthony

singdaw

« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2007, 07:49:53 AM »

At which point the wonderful black American soprano Jessye Norman said to the stunned crowd, "well, someone had to tell her."

Hee hee!   ;D

A musician friend of mine once moonlighted as a waiter in an upscale restaurant near Chicago's Lyric Opera.  One night, after a performance, Jessye came in with her entourage.  My friend made a bet with a fellow waiter that before she left, he would get her to sing.

Word of the bet circulated among the staff, and soon, the waiter's station was piled high with cash, all betting against my friend's claim.

At the appropriate moment, he dashed to the kitchen, grabbed a spare pastry, stuck and candle in it, and delivered it - to an unsuspecting young couple seated unfortunately in just the right spot in the dining room.  My friend then began "Happy Birthday", encouraging all seated nearby to join in.  Jessye won my friend's wager by contributing a thrilling high note to cap the song off.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2007, 07:49:56 AM »

Upper West Side, please.  After schlepping back from the library, all I don't want to do is travel around.  Are you working (studio or 42nd Street) tomorrow afternoon?

Well, Musicals Tonight! is now performing up above the Promenade Theatre (76th & B'way)... Do you want to see it tonight?  I could head up right after rehearsal, we could grab a quick bite to eat, then go to the show.  -7:30 curtain.

As for tomorrow, I'll be in Tom Jones land.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2007, 07:51:06 AM »

Here's the link to the Rossini/Verdi critical editions.  There are only 8 shopping months left till Christmas!

http://humanities.uchicago.edu/orgs/ciao/index.html

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2007, 07:51:54 AM »

-Or we could see it tomorrow night.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2007, 07:52:45 AM »

Hee hee!   ;D

A musician friend of mine once moonlighted as a waiter in an upscale restaurant near Chicago's Lyric Opera.  One night, after a performance, Jessye came in with her entourage.  My friend made a bet with a fellow waiter that before she left, he would get her to sing.

Word of the bet circulated among the staff, and soon, the waiter's station was piled high with cash, all betting against my friend's claim.

At the appropriate moment, he dashed to the kitchen, grabbed a spare pastry, stuck and candle in it, and delivered it - to an unsuspecting young couple seated unfortunately in just the right spot in the dining room.  My friend then began "Happy Birthday", encouraging all seated nearby to join in.  Jessye won my friend's wager by contributing a thrilling high note to cap the song off.

I love Jessye Norman!  She's someone I would love to meet and/or work with.  Will adored her and I hear she's got a great sense of humor.  Her "Christmastide" recording is one of my faves.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2007, 07:53:24 AM »

Well, Musicals Tonight! is now performing up above the Promenade Theatre (76th & B'way)... Do you want to see it tonight?  I could head up right after rehearsal, we could grab a quick bite to eat, then go to the show.  -7:30 curtain.

As for tomorrow, I'll be in Tom Jones land.

Yes! Let's see it tonight.  That should be fun.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2007, 07:54:29 AM »

-Or we could see it tomorrow night.

I'm seeing a movie with my college friend Matthew late tomorrow afternoon; I thought you might want to join us.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2007, 07:55:50 AM »

Yes! Let's see it tonight.  That should be fun.

OK...  I'm about to run out to take care of some errands.  I'll call in for the tickets now.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 07:56:15 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2007, 07:57:45 AM »

What a wonderful story, singdaw.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2007, 07:58:21 AM »

Loved the Happy Birthday story!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

FJL

« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2007, 07:58:33 AM »

Gosh oh golly, that Jessye Norman story put me in a good mood.

FJL

« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2007, 07:59:37 AM »

Page 4 before 10 a.m. EST, anyone?

FJL

« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2007, 08:00:08 AM »

And here I am, just steps away from post #6000.

FJL

« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2007, 08:00:54 AM »

Only 19 posts away for me.

FJL

« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2007, 08:05:50 AM »

ANOTHER TICKET GIVEAWAY - EDWARD SCISSORHANDS at BAM Sun. at 6:30

Two Edward Scissorhands tix available for FREE to HHW people for Sunday at BAM in Brooklyn at 6:30.  Only catch:  you must pick it or them up from me (at 43rd & 10th) today at some point.  Just Private Message me if you want one.  They're 5th row a little towards the side, but nice seats.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 08:10:23 AM by FJL »

FJL

« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2007, 08:06:56 AM »

Almost at page 4
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18   Go Up