Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ROUSING NOTES  (Read 22369 times)

Ginny

Re:THE ROUSING NOTES
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2006, 08:04:38 AM »

Ginny said:

DR Ben - I was wondering this morning if NYC still had snow.  Around here, when a large snowfall melts quickly we often have flooding problems.  Anything like that up there?

Not really in the city, although there are sometimes small ponds at corners which can make it hard to cross. We do have an occasional clogged sewer also which contributes to the ponds effect. The ponds usually occur when snow shovelers just throw the snow in one place to get rid of it, not thinking that it will melt to form an ankle deep mess.

Well, that'll be a real mess if those ponds freeze!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2006, 08:14:26 AM »

Either I read it wrong at Amazon or they changed their price a few days ago because when I checked out the pricing for the 2-disc RENT last night, it was very reasonable ($15.98). Somehow I had it in my head that it was $22+. Anyway, that was pre-ordered last night.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2006, 08:17:47 AM »

Meeting friends for lunch, so have to get cleaned up now and hop in the car to get to the meeting place.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2006, 08:19:04 AM »

TOD:

I once had a wonderful pasta dish that was Angel Hair with a white cream sauce, but it also had a bit of sherry in it, there were scallops and shrimp and baby portabello mushrooms in it.  Lovely and now I too am hungry.

Also there was a pasta meal I used to get at the cafeteria when I worked in the aerospace industry...
I know a cafeteria isn't usually the source of good food but his partiular dish was awesome. they would always run out.  It was egg noodles with a white cream sauce with mushrooms, scallions, peas and chunks of white meat chicken.

Now I'm very hungry.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 08:21:20 AM by Vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2006, 08:20:33 AM »

The Vixter loved Hairspray.

She is now campaigning for a family trip to see it again

"this time we should sit in the orchestra"

FJL

« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2006, 08:37:33 AM »

Re yesterday's discussion of the Homowack -  Very fond memories.  My grandparents used to have a lovely bungalow-type apartment right across the road from the Homowack, and we used to go over there for recreation and eating purposes all the time.  The picture posted yesterday doesn't make it look like much, but it was the height of Kosher-posh (is that Posher?) when I was about twelve years old.  Loved spending time in the lounge there even at that age, and believe me there was nothing Homo about the Homowack.  :)

My brother also used to sing in the choir there fairly regularly because for the Jewish New Year, it was a popular place for people to stay for the High Holy Days.

Ginny

« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2006, 08:38:56 AM »

The Vixter loved Hairspray.

She is now campaigning for a family trip to see it again

"this time we should sit in the orchestra"

DR Vixmom - tell her that when I saw it in NY, I sat in the front row of the orchestra, stage left.  When the hotdog wagon appeared in "Welcome to the Sixties," it almost landed in my lap!  And, in the finale, when Penny's mother comes in through the house, she climbed right over my knees.  DH Richard and I just saw a touring company here in Dayton this past Sunday.  We sat in the balcony and it was interesting to see the show from that vantage point.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2006, 08:41:54 AM »

Rodzinski - I think I've mentioned this before, but my first job out of law school was working for the International Tax Group at Coopers and Lybrand, and the head of that department was none other than Robert Henrey, who was the same Little Bobby Henrey from FALLEN IDOL, only all grown up.  He shouted very rarely, but when he did, you could still hear in his "delivery" the way he shouted "Baines" when calling Ralph Richardson in the movie.

FJL

« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2006, 08:46:07 AM »

Favorite pasta dishes are the linguini con pollo and the penne gorgonzola, both at Pietrasanta on 47th & 9th in Manhattan.

A favorite pasta dish for a long time was a recipe that Skip concocted which wsa included in Jane Brody's GOOD SEAFOOD BOOK.  It goes by the name "Skip's shrimp and scallop capellini" and it's on pages 386-87, if anyone happens to have that health conscious tome.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 08:47:11 AM by FJL »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2006, 08:46:12 AM »

I shall now be on my way to LACC.

vixmom

« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2006, 09:01:22 AM »

DR Vixmom - tell her that when I saw it in NY, I sat in the front row of the orchestra, stage left.  When the hotdog wagon appeared in "Welcome to the Sixties," it almost landed in my lap!  And, in the finale, when Penny's mother comes in through the house, she climbed right over my knees.  DH Richard and I just saw a touring company here in Dayton this past Sunday.  We sat in the balcony and it was interesting to see the show from that vantage point.

Oh boy, will she be jealous!!

BTW she thought the funniest line in the whole show was

"No! This is not her father!!"

(Which she spent a good part of last night intoning, each time immediately followed by her creasing up and falling to the floor and rolling around laughing..... ah  12's going on 13......)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2006, 09:11:11 AM »

DR George, let me know if your relative got INVASION taped for you. I recorded it last night but having watched it at my friend's house, I don't need to watch the recording. I'll wait a few hours before I delete the DVR reocrding.

Thanks!  It's early, so I'll call my niece around lunch time.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2006, 09:22:43 AM »

Homowack...amusing name...and I've truly known a few "wack" jobs in my day!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2006, 09:28:23 AM »

Raining today - cold tomorrow.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2006, 10:00:59 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  And already hungry for PASTA!  

BK--maybe you are on to something--breakfast pasta!  

I'm envisioning something like a western omlette, but with bow-tie pasta instead of/in addition to eggs.

OMG that sounds good!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2006, 10:04:51 AM »

Good Pwoject Wunway last night - we now know the final three.  The person eliminated should have been gone the around the third week or so, but that's okay.

The bad part is, I could have designed better dresses than we saw last night!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2006, 10:05:23 AM »

D-t-M, I will be seeing Pajama Game in March. I want to see it sooner (it opens next week) but to do so I must exchange my subscriber ticket. I may try to do that over the weekend. Since I'm a Roundabout subscriber I also have a ticket for Threepenny w/Alan Cummings and Cyndi Lauper.

I lost my interest in PAJAMA GAME when I heard that Mr Connick plays piano during "Hernando's Hideaway," and although "Treepenny Opera" is a score I love and I'm seeing this production, I'm not thrilled that Lucy Brown is being played by a man!  Whether it's drag or a gay slant, I keep thinking "what was the Weill Foundation and Brecht family thinking?"
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2006, 10:05:31 AM »

Hmmm....breakfast pasta.....hmmmm

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2006, 10:07:03 AM »

BRIDE AND PREJUDICE...is is really only a semi-Bollywood movie as it is in English, but it is a very cute movie based on the Pride and Prejudice story....I do belive many DRs recommend it.  :D

I, for one!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2006, 10:14:20 AM »

I had delicious lobster ravioli about three weeks ago and I cannot tewll you where!  Somewhere around 46th Street between Broaday and Sixth.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2006, 10:15:21 AM »

My video of LOVELY TO LOOK AT arrived today and it does proclaim "New Technicolor Restoration!"

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2006, 10:16:13 AM »

DR JANE - did you ever get BONJOUR TRISTESSE from Netflix?  I forget what you said about it, if you did.

Jennifer

« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2006, 10:20:06 AM »

Re: American Idol.

No Ace was not the one I meant (with blonde hair). Ace has brown hair and is quite cute.  The blonde guy (i had not seen before). But he had a wonderful voice. He was the first one they showed when the showed the 12 guys at the end.

Jennifer

« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2006, 10:22:54 AM »

LOST SPOILER from last night.

DR RLP re: your question about the picture that was shown to Sayid.  The writers always seem to include interesting bits in the backstories.  You really have to pay attention.

I am not 100% sure that it was Kate. But I did rewind that part and it did look like a young kate.  I'm curious, does anyone remember what kate's father's story is (i.e., did she say he was a soldier?).

It is so interesting how everyone on the island is connected.

Also, how many of you think that the guy they found is an OTHER?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2006, 10:38:33 AM »

I can't believe I now know someone who has been to the Homowack lodge and someone who worked with Bobby Henrey.
AND it's the same person. Great stuff, FJL.

Now you never happened to see Rudy Varon appear at the Lodge did you?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2006, 10:54:51 AM »

I just got in and turned on the tv for company.  My God, is the dreadful DAYS OF OUR LIVES shrill today; it should be retitled "Too Many Hysteric Bitches In Front of A Camera."  And now there's this impotent man wailing.  Too noisy.  After this, the inanities of PASSIONS will be a comfort.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2006, 11:01:36 AM »

Good Pwoject Wunway last night - we now know the final three.  The person eliminated should have been gone the around the third week or so, but that's okay.

The bad part is, I could have designed better dresses than we saw last night!

You're right about the turncoat who left last night.  I was amazed at the name this person "named" when asked who should NOT advance to the final 3.

Also...there is one very bad designer in the final three who seems to get by on novelty value alone....terrible designs...all....and an ego that knows no bounds with nothing to back it up.  I consider THAT person to be this season's "Wendy Pepper".

The other two are no Jay, thank goodness (I've never understood anyone's attaction to Jay's design sense), but both are solid, solid, solid.

As for last night's gowns....yech.  What were they thinking?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2006, 11:19:34 AM »

I second ALL that you wrote, DR RLP.  Yes the "turncoat" situation was shocking....but then the person named had  spoken some doubts out loud in the workroom about "wanting" to win...although the statement was recanted later.

I agree on the Wendy Pepper-factor person this season and hope said person was humilated during Fashion Week.  Next week's reunion will be fun - not sure I am interested in the Jay Show that will follow.

Like you, I was completely unimpressed with Jay's clothes last year.  

BUT what in the world was Austin Scarlett wearing to the party last night?  I mean gender bending is one thing, but if you're going to cross dress...go all the way....he is the only guy I know with a bigger nose than Adrian Brody or Eugeny Pleshenko.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 11:20:18 AM by JRand55 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2006, 11:21:17 AM »

I am still thinking of lobster ravioli....how about fettucine alfredo with lobster....  And a ginger gimlet!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2006, 11:28:10 AM »

I used to have a recipe on how to doctor up boxed macaroni and cheese...and it was very good!  However, I lost the recipe several years ago. :P I've tried to figure something out from memory and/or experimentation, but I just can't get it right.  Oh, well.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up