Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RESTFUL SATURDAY DURING WHICH I DID NOT MUCH OF ANYTHING  (Read 9357 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE RESTFUL SATURDAY DURING WHICH I DID NOT MUCH OF ANYTHING
« on: April 26, 2014, 11:59:16 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were restful and didn't do much of anything, and now it is time for you to post until the restful cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE RESTFUL SATURDAY DURING WHICH I DID NOT MUCH OF ANYTHING
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 11:59:49 PM »

And the word of the day is: INKHORN!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 12:07:01 AM »

Well, I'm home.  Yesterday was a weird day of theater happenings.  The new musical version of A Room With a View was, I thought, very good.  The performers were all good actors and had wonderful voices.  I've loved Patti Cohenour since Big River and The Mystery of Edwin Drood and my friend Jenny Shotwell has a wonderful operatic voice.  The roll that she plays in the first act sings only in Italian and very operatically...she definitely has the chops (she plays the maid in the second act and doesn't sing much at all).  The rest of the cast were uniformly wonderful and well cast. 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 12:12:17 AM »

I really enjoyed the score, and there's a lot of it and a lot of underscoring.  The score was written by Jeffrey Sweet, who wrote the music to Triumph of Love and the "Book and Conception" are by Marc Acito who wrote the novel, "How I Paid for College."  What was weird was that they had to stop the show!  About three or four songs before the end of the first act, I noticed some people walking up and down the far right aisle and tried to ignore it (or seats were row V right in the center).  Then all of a sudden a woman's voice came over the loud speaker saying that they needed to stop the show because there was "an emergency in the house."  The house lights came up and the people going up and down the aisle were EMTs!  Evidently someone had a medical emergency and they eventually took him (or her?) out of the theater on a gurney.  While the show was stopped, most people were chatting quietly and waiting.  After about five minutes or so, they started pretty much right where they left off and finished the first act without another incident.  In all the years of theater going, I've never experienced this before. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 12:17:41 AM »

Then during the second act (coincidentally, also about three songs before the end of the act), they had to stop the show AGAIN.  This time the female god-voice said that they had to stop for technical reasons.  This break was a little more than 10 minutes.  They fixed whatever they had to fix (they didn't specify what needed to be fixed) and the show started again and finished to a standing ovation.  I really liked it a lot.  The set was beautiful, the costumes were great and the nekkid swimming scene was very funny and very nekkid!  The three men in the scene didn't turn and face the audience when they were out of the water (they really had a pool with water!), but they were very definitely really nekkid. ;)

George

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 12:18:06 AM »

During the pre-show announcement, they always say that you can come back with your ticket and see the show again for only $25.  I may actually do it this time.  We'll see if it happens, but I'd really like to. :)

George

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 12:19:57 AM »

Then, we headed south.  My sister needed to go to IKEA, so we did.  The first place we headed for was the restaurant.  We were all pretty hungry, so we ate first.  My mom hadn't been there in a long time, so she wanted to walk around the whole store.  My sister and I went and got the stuff that she wanted, and waited near the exit for my mom.  It really didn't take too long...probably only about 45 minutes, including the time it took to eat.  After we left there, my sister wanted to go to Bed, Bath and Beyond to get a coffee urn for the PFLAG board, and it wasn't available at the Olympia store.  Fortunately, it was pretty close to IKEA, so that didn't take long, at all.  We then got back on I-5 and headed home. 

George

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 12:24:54 AM »

The other weird theater happening was at "Chamber Music."  I got to theater about 15 minutes before the 10:00 show was supposed to start...in plenty of time.  I guess the 8:00 pm show went well enough.  I was chatting with another board member at the entrance and we noticed that there were only two people in the audience.  It turns out that they were former students of one of the actresses.  Our stage manager Christian (a good friend of TCB's) spoke with Pug the director and the cast and asked them if they would be willing to come back to a different performance.  This was a black comedy and comedy is really hard when there are only two people in the audience.  They were very friendly and outgoing themselves and totally understood.  They said that they would if Kate, their former teacher, would do something like stand on her head or sing a song!  Kate said that she'd sing if she had back-up.  So, Kate sang "I'll Never Grow Up" from Peter Pan (she was just in a production last month) and the other women in the show sang the echo back-up parts.  It was all a lot of fun and we cancelled the 10:00 pm show.  I've never had that happen before!  Pug and everyone decided to add another performance on the last night, since that's probably the best time to add another show.  So, we all left the theater and I fed my friend Margo's cats and am now home telling the incredibly long story of my day, yesterday. :D

George

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 12:25:16 AM »

And now, I need to ketchup on all of yesterday's posts!

George

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 12:50:53 AM »

Yesterday, Larry wrote:
DR George, A Room With A View is by a wonderful writer Marc Acito and Jeff Stock, whose score for The Triumph of Love is quite wonderful.  Jeff's a piece of work and a former friend.

A former friend?  :-\

George

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 12:59:07 AM »

Oh, the actor who plays the doctor in "Chamber Music" is a pretty good photographer.  Click HERE for pictures that he took during the final preview performance.

George

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 01:17:47 AM »

Today, I have a union meeting and then a performance tonight.

But first...to bed.

Good night, all!

FJL

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 02:46:30 AM »

A belated happy birthday to dear DR Jennifer!  Hoping it's a terrific birthday weekend.

FJL

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 02:49:15 AM »

I'm back from my young cousin Laura's delightful (and BTW, extremely entertaining) bat-mitzvah in Scranton, PA, a  city which I must admit is much lovelier than I'd known even from visiting this part of the family earlier. 

Jennifer

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 03:44:39 AM »

Thanks to DRs TCB and FJL!

Ben

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2014, 04:18:45 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2014, 05:50:46 AM »

Well all of THAT was exciting DR GEORGE!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2014, 05:52:30 AM »

DR VIXMOM I am glad the materials arrived and that they were useable. I don't think that cartoon is in regular rotation right now because of the violence.

LIL ABNER was sort of the Doonesbury of its day, if I recall, and Capp was very political and satirical in his writing.....if I recall.   I remember that he really took out after Joan Baez for a long time....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2014, 05:54:04 AM »

This is a busy week for me as well.  We have a DWTS rehearsal today.....a rehearsal at the facility on Tuesday, the dress rehearsal with the an audience on Thursday, and the show on Saturday.  And I have Guys & Dolls rehearsals Mon-Wed-Fri.   It is a nice way to start a new month.

Kerry

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2014, 05:56:42 AM »

Continued health vibes for Bruce and continued vibes to everybody else for everything else!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2014, 05:57:43 AM »

So true.
I like boat races.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2014, 06:08:32 AM »

~ ~ ~ CONTINUED AND MOST EXCELLENT THROAT VIBES ~ ~ ~ for bk!!!
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2014, 06:09:03 AM »

It is raining, cold, and windy here - and will be, all the way through Friday.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Michael

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2014, 06:09:22 AM »

BK

I know you have been watching documentaries and since Mr. Charles Nelson Reilly was mentioned the other day and you have worked with him.

I recommend the documentary about his stage show The Life of Reilly.

Here is the first 10 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjxUpX09JEM
Never stop dreaming.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2014, 06:09:47 AM »

Big church service this morning, and big service/concert this afternoon. I hope to take a nice nap in between.

Michael

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2014, 06:14:15 AM »

And a good morning to all
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2014, 06:18:05 AM »

Good morning, all! I had a great many nightmares last night: one about a rehearsal/performance of an opera based on DRACULA, conducted  by Rob Berman, some musical Kelli O'Hara was in, and something endless involving Ben Davis and other friends.

This morning, I will work on the Faith Prince-anthony Qarlow music, break, and watch my two Netflix DVDs.

Yes, DR George, a former friend.  Like I said, he's a piece of work.

Yes, DR JRand63, in Dogpatch Joan Baez became, as I recall, Joanie Phoney. That's about when I stopped reading LI'L ABNER; I much preferred the liberal Al Capp to the man he became.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2014, 06:21:24 AM »

You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2014, 06:23:06 AM »

BK

I know you have been watching documentaries and since Mr. Charles Nelson Reilly was mentioned the other day and you have worked with him.

I recommend the documentary about his stage show The Life of Reilly.

Here is the first 10 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjxUpX09JEM

I used to be Reilly's publicist.

In fact, I write several pages about him in LIFE, LIBERTY & THE PURSUIT OF HOLLYWOOD.
You can dream…or you can do.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2014, 06:25:56 AM »

Good morning, all.

Thanks, George, for the report on "A Room ...," and all its fits and starts, and for telling me where I knew the name Marc Acito. I really enjoyed "How I Paid for College."
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up