Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: L.A. NOW AND THEN - THE ORIGINAL CAST RECORDING  (Read 3741 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: L.A. NOW AND THEN - THE ORIGINAL CAST RECORDING
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2016, 06:31:01 AM »

Jrand, you get the CD from the Indiegogo cast album perk.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2016, 06:31:55 AM »

I saw THE PANIC IN NEEDLE PARK when it was first released on home video.  Sorry, good as they might be, movies about drug addicts and alcoholism are not my cup of tea...and that includes THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM, DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES, LEAVING LAS VEGAS and THE LOST WEEKEND.
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2016, 06:32:37 AM »

TOD:

THE REVENANT
HAIL, CAESAR!

ChasSmith

« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2016, 06:38:07 AM »

I got The Panic in Needle Park Blu-ray and will be giving it a spin in the coming week.  I, too, have never been in any way involved with, or had my world touched by, drugs.  But I never had the aversion to the movies that BK and Druxy have named.  That being said, they aren't movies I can watch very often because they certainly put you through a lot of unpleasantness that I really don't need.  Requiem for a Dream, anyone?  My oh my.  It's probably a genius film, but I've been waiting years to make my first return to it.

Anyway, I always knew about the Needle Park film but for some reason (other than the drug scene depicted), I just never felt compelled to see it.  I'm a different kind of film viewer now, so I jumped for the Twilight Time release.  Very VERY interesting about the soundtrack score.  I look forward to exploring all of that.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2016, 06:41:00 AM »

Panic in Needle Park certainly has one good trivia question: I never knew that Ned Rorem was ever asked to write a film score.  I have a memory of seeing it many years ago but I couldn't tell you a thing about it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Amy

« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2016, 06:42:16 AM »

TOD from yesterday:
All remakes of "A Christmas Carol" tend to be quite good. It's such a great and classic story, it's hard to screw it up.

Amy

« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2016, 06:44:31 AM »

I wonder why they sent out a silent film of "Panic in Needle Park" with only the music score added. Even I have software that could easily mix everything together and burn to a DVD.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2016, 06:44:56 AM »

My book of short stories, DRACULA MEETS JACK THE RIPPER And Other Revisionist Histories, read by Fred Frees, hit 100 audio downloads today.

;D

https://www.amazon.com/Dracula-Meets-Ripper-Revisionist-Histories/dp/B00B3QMAK8/ref=tmm_aud_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1311171094&sr=1-2

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2016, 06:46:45 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2016, 06:47:44 AM »

I got The Panic in Needle Park Blu-ray and will be giving it a spin in the coming week.  I, too, have never been in any way involved with, or had my world touched by, drugs.  But I never had the aversion to the movies that BK and Druxy have named.  That being said, they aren't movies I can watch very often because they certainly put you through a lot of unpleasantness that I really don't need.  Requiem for a Dream, anyone?  My oh my.  It's probably a genius film, but I've been waiting years to make my first return to it.

Anyway, I always knew about the Needle Park film but for some reason (other than the drug scene depicted), I just never felt compelled to see it.  I'm a different kind of film viewer now, so I jumped for the Twilight Time release.  Very VERY interesting about the soundtrack score.  I look forward to exploring all of that.

At my age (75), when I watch a movie, I really just want to be entertained.  I read enough terrible stuff in the newspapers or see it on the TV news.

John G.

« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2016, 06:50:55 AM »

Other films watched in this curious week included Peter Bogdanovich's romantic comedy They All Laughed, a most curious film.  I was charmed by it when I first saw it a couple of times in Westwood, and I don't think I'd seen it since.  Seeing it now, I think I wasn't in the groove for being so charmed, but it's such an interesting film that there's plenty to hold one's attention.  It needs to be returned to while listening to PB's commentary and interviews about the unique circumstances of his life at that time, all of which inform the film itself.  They shot heavily on location, so there are some great ca-1980 views of NYC.

What a quirky little movie. I, too, loved it when I first saw it because it was rather gossamer. I bought a copy for $3 or so a few years back and while I still loved the performances from Audrey Hepburn and Ben Gazzara, I found the movie itself a little more earthbound.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2016, 06:53:08 AM »

TOD:

CD: Bright Star

Car CD: Disc 8 of 24 of Can You Forgive Her?

DVD: Steve Jobs, The Pirates of Penzance
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2016, 06:56:53 AM »

Ah....thanks MR BK....this is GOOD NEWS!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2016, 06:58:57 AM »

DR CHAS SMITH - I like LOVING YOU a lot!  It's a Hal Wallis-Paramount spectacular with great color AND Wendall Corey and Lizabeth Scott....  Elvis does some wonderful songs....

Dolores Hart doesn't have many scenes, but she is very pretty and sincere, and she and Elvis make a great screen couple!  She reminds me a bit of Judy Tyler in JAILHOUSE ROCK, but Dolores doesn't have Judy's HARD edge.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2016, 07:01:10 AM »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2016, 07:27:42 AM »

Other films watched in this curious week included Peter Bogdanovich's romantic comedy They All Laughed, a most curious film.  I was charmed by it when I first saw it a couple of times in Westwood, and I don't think I'd seen it since.  Seeing it now, I think I wasn't in the groove for being so charmed, but it's such an interesting film that there's plenty to hold one's attention.  It needs to be returned to while listening to PB's commentary and interviews about the unique circumstances of his life at that time, all of which inform the film itself.  They shot heavily on location, so there are some great ca-1980 views of NYC.

What a quirky little movie. I, too, loved it when I first saw it because it was rather gossamer. I bought a copy for $3 or so a few years back and while I still loved the performances from Audrey Hepburn and Ben Gazzara, I found the movie itself a little more earthbound.

I don't remember much of this.  I'll have to browse our movie list and see if it is available.

Ginny

« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2016, 08:30:25 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  I've been to Scissor Sensation for both a manicure (from Betty) and a haircut (from Tina), so now at least my head and fingertips are ready for our road trip to Florida.  Have to have the rest of me ready by Sunday morning...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2016, 08:53:38 AM »

Got a call from DirecTV at seven saying my technician would be here between eight and eight thirty, so that was good.  Of course, he was not here between those times so I called back the number and the new automated time of arrival was "en route" and will be here between eight-forty and nine-ten.  Do we think he'll be here in the next six minutes?  Doubtful.  Wonder what the new estimated time will be.  I've already complained once about it, and they're not going to want the next phone call which they will get in exactly five minutes.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2016, 09:06:16 AM »

Maybe he is car pooling with the bush man.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2016, 10:17:26 AM »

I hope I just set up my new answering machine correctly.  I am not good with instruction manuals.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2016, 11:18:48 AM »

My baby brother Randy turns 59 today. I wish him the best.  I still remember moments from Sunday, June 16, 1957: it was late in the afternoon and school was out for the summer,  with the sudden rush of activity around the house when my mother went into labor my brother Macbeth and I were like posts in a pinball machine watching the balls spin past us. My mother, happy to be the center of attention, had made phone calls to her sisters to get her ready for hospital, the emergency overnight bag was to be reconsidered, my dad took Macbeth and me to our grandmother's house on Tenth Avenue.  I remember that M and I slept in our grandmother's double bed in her bedroom on the second floor.  I never liked the room; there was something about it that terrified me. The next morning, we were told we had a healthy new brother. born in the early morning of June 17.

Happy Birthday to BB Randy!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2016, 11:42:32 AM »

Ah yes, happy birthday to DR ELMORE's brudder.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2016, 01:19:07 PM »

Randy is a good name.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2016, 01:58:16 PM »

Page three?  Really?  For HOURS?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2016, 01:58:27 PM »

Where in tarnation IS everyone?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2016, 01:58:44 PM »

Made some wacky noodles - I just didn't feel like going out to eat.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2016, 01:58:52 PM »

So I didn't.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2016, 01:58:59 PM »

I stayed here.