Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LABOR DAY WEEKEND SANS LABOR  (Read 25053 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE LABOR DAY WEEKEND SANS LABOR
« on: September 05, 2009, 12:23:09 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were labored, and now it is time for you to post until the labored cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE LABOR DAY WEEKEND SANS LABOR
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 12:24:41 AM »

And the word of the day is: JORUM!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 12:51:41 AM »

Topic of the Day:  two of my favorite amusement parks rides are Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain at Disneyland.  I've never gone on a roller coaster that went upside down. 

The earliest sorts of rides that I can remember going on was when we lived in Germany (when I was between 4 and 7 years old), we went to some German places with kind of smallish rides...nothing like big roller coasters.  I can't remember any specifics.  I was much too young.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 12:56:29 AM »

And now, I must go to sleep.  I have to go to work for a few hours, then TAO is having elections for new officers...and a potluck barbecue. :D

Good night, BK.

Have a good day, all!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DAW

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 03:53:36 AM »

I just love the big roller coasters.  But the DH doesn't, so I haven't been on one in AGES.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 04:56:23 AM »

The first amusement park I remember was called Riverside somewhere in Indy.  It had a wooden roller coaster called the Thriller that lived up to its name.

I also now enjoy Kings Island in Ohio - especially The Beast roller coaster, but I just realized I haven't been there in about 15 years.  It was called Paramount's Kings Island for a long time, and there were characters from Star Trek The Next Generation walking around including some really MEAN Romulans...and it was featured in a last season episode of The Brady Bunch....before the Romulans.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 04:57:54 AM »

DR ELMORE is correct, I think this play is an audience pleaser....  Last night's audience laughed even more and louder and longer....

Officer Brophy remembered his blackjack....we had NO scene change music in Act Two or Act Three....oh well.  We have less than 10 tickets left for the show tonight, so that is good news.

Thanks to everyone for the vibes and good wishes.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 04:58:53 AM »

The kittens are lovely.

The DeFranco Family always dressed SO weird....to match their choreography, I guess.

Working until 3 p.m. and then off to performance #3 of ARSENIC & OLD LACE.

The kittens are adorable!

DAW

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 05:50:41 AM »

The kittens are lovely.

I am changing my name to "Kittens."

FJL

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 05:52:24 AM »

My all-time favorite experience for the TOD was the very first time I rode Maelstrom at Epcot.  Later visits were not as effective, perhaps because the surprises weren't there any more, but I've always suspected (with no evidence other than its impact) that they had toned it down.

One that I'll miss because I assume I will never find it again is Journey to Jerusalem, using the thrill ride approach and where you assume the point of view of a piece of Torah parchment being whisked to various locations in ancient Israel.  it was part of the special round-the-world part of Epcot in 2000.  (Part of the fun was the no-nonsense folks running the line.  Where elsewhere at Walt Disney World they were so polite in managing the lines, at this one the young fellow just waved his arms and shouted "Would you move?")

FJL

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 05:53:21 AM »

Sounds purrr-fect, DAW

(almost a Catwoman reference)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 06:20:27 AM »

Good morning!

Cool morning-hot day. That seems to be a pattern that we're going to have during the next week. It's getting up close to 90 today. Ugh!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 06:24:34 AM »

No, bk, I have not made up my mind to like DUPLICITY before I see it. That would be kind of idiotic for a critic even when he's NOT being a critic, and it's kind of insulting that you'd say that (though you did use a smily face).

I loved MICHAEL CLAYTON. I loved the chemistry that Julia Roberts and Clive Owen had in CLOSER. I can't HELP but feel great anticipation over seeing the film. I know it got mixed reviews (though it certainly got some very positive ones). I know it was a box-office disappointment.

But I hope you will allow me to look forward to a film without accusing me of making up my mind ahead of time.

Matt H.

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 06:32:40 AM »

With no Paramount TV box sets, and those two Criterion Blu-rays not due until September 22, I have decided to take Saturday and SUnday off. I will do one of the Criterions on Monday, and then maybe on Tuesday, the Paramount box sets will arrive and I can begin watching those TV episodes. Two of the shows I'm supposed to get I watched during the regular season: GHOST WHISPERER and CSI: NY. The other is ONE STEP BEYOND which I haven't seen in, what, forty years or something.

Matt H.

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 06:34:29 AM »

Today I plan to watch one of the Blu-rays I got for my birthday. It's likely going to be THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR. Can't decide if I'll watch it in the afternoon or evening. Likely I'll wait until tonight since this afternoon it would get interrupted by the usual Saturday phone calls and other distractions.

Michael

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2009, 06:35:44 AM »

TOD.
1st Ride:

I believe it was Old MacDonald Farm in Connecticut. I was visiting my cousin one summer and all I remember is that there was a ride that had old antique cars and you drive around a track. There was a metal bar in the middle so you couldn't drive off. I went around and around on. I love it. First my father would drive and then my mother would take me. There is a wonderful picture of me and my mother having fun. I must have it at least 10 times.

Favorite ride:

I think it has to be the Spiderman ride at Universal Studios followed by the Popeye ride when one gets drench.

Most Recent:

I did all the roller coaster at Tampa's Busch Gardens. All but one were amazing.
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2009, 06:38:23 AM »

TOD:

At regular amusement parks, I always loved the Tilt-a-Whirl. We'd ride that over and over.

At Disney World/Disneyland:

Space Mountain was a blast and I also adored the Tower of Terror at Disney-MGM. We rode that something like four times in one day.

Busch Gardens in Tampa had a marvelous roller coaster that turned you upside down. I've been on others but that one (which I forget the name of) was really a lot of fun, and my friend Hal and I rode it twice.

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2009, 06:40:44 AM »

On the pain front, I had another successful night of sleep without having to get up in the middle of the night to massage the pain out of my shoulder/arm.

However, my right hand has been cramping a lot this morning (just like yesterday). That has become my most recurring area for pain.

Michael

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2009, 06:46:45 AM »

I saw that MY FAIR LADY is up for preordering.

It is so strange to see it being released by Paramount after all these years.

I realize that Warner Brother distribution rights went back to CBS (which owns Paramount) but I have always thought of it as a Warner Brothers film.

Just as all the MGM Movies are now Warner Brothers.

Also strange that the original Star Trek series is being distributed by CBS (Paramount) when it originally aired.

I am sure that people born in the last 20-30 years or so don't care but somehow I am a traditionalist when it comes to my entertainment
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2009, 06:58:36 AM »

The kittens are lovely.

I am changing my name to "Kittens."

How about Kitten Caboodle?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2009, 07:02:01 AM »

Good morning, all! I have a luncheon date with a conductor friend at 1 and a showing of THE SEPTEMBER ISSUE with my friend Matthew at 5:30. Until then, I have work on the score of OH, BOY! and that's my day.

I slept late, which was nice, and now I have things to do.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2009, 07:08:14 AM »

I have some computer maintenance projects to perform, and then I'll head down to watch some BONES episodes before I start on preparing some lunch.

WBBL.

Ginny

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2009, 07:36:04 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  Gearing up for the first college football Saturday of 2009 - Go Blue!!!

Even an "animal grinch" like me can't help but love this story:

Miracle Cat

This is the flower shop fire that Richard and I encountered on one of our early-morning trips to John's hospital bedside.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DAW

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2009, 08:00:27 AM »

How about those Mets?

DAW

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2009, 08:00:50 AM »

I stood there, wondering why that baseball was getting bigger.

Then it hit me.

Laura

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2009, 08:04:37 AM »

Wow. Lucky cat.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2009, 08:05:22 AM »

There is a storm coming our way.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2009, 08:41:39 AM »

I stood there, wondering why that baseball was getting bigger.

Then it hit me.
Get The Hook!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2009, 08:49:53 AM »

No, bk, I have not made up my mind to like DUPLICITY before I see it. That would be kind of idiotic for a critic even when he's NOT being a critic, and it's kind of insulting that you'd say that (though you did use a smily face).

I loved MICHAEL CLAYTON. I loved the chemistry that Julia Roberts and Clive Owen had in CLOSER. I can't HELP but feel great anticipation over seeing the film. I know it got mixed reviews (though it certainly got some very positive ones). I know it was a box-office disappointment.

But I hope you will allow me to look forward to a film without accusing me of making up my mind ahead of time.

I believe I was joking, based on your post - hence, the smiley face.  Surely you know a joke when you see one and I think, since I quoted your post, that it was obvious.  If not, sorry.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2009, 08:51:46 AM »

I was awakened by some heinous machine noise next door - maybe someone forgot to tell these oafs (sfoa, spelled backwards) that it's a holiday weekend.  Of course, now the machine is silent.  I believe I'll go tell the oafs it's a holiday weekend and thanks very much for the ruder than rude Saturday morning wake-up call.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up