Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: BALANCING ACT  (Read 18983 times)

Jennifer

Re: BALANCING ACT
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2009, 08:30:28 AM »

DR Cillaliz i'm curious what you thought of the premiere of DWTS.

I thought it was really good.

And i loved watching the relay dancing (is that what they called it when they all do the same style one after the other). That really let you compare the dancers.

I have to say i think there are 3 who are in the bottom for the men: Ashley hamilton, tom delay, and chuck liddell. I think that tom will be safe cause his partner (cheryl) is very popular.

My favorites were aaron carter (i also love karina). And mark (from iron chef). I also love his partner lacey.

I thought donny osmond was amazing, although did not vote for him. He is for sure gonna be top 4. But i was surprised how much i liked him.

And one person i was not expecting to like. But i thought he was the cutest thing ever. The snowboarder, Louie (with chelsie). His freestyle (2nd routine) was so good. I love these two!

Michael irvin was worse than i thought he would be ( i assumed like all football players he would make it till the end). But i just didn't find him very appealing.  But great opening show. Can't wait for the women tonight!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2009, 08:36:48 AM »

My first electronics purchases (not things given to me, but things I actually bought) were so long ago...

I know I bought a stereo record player with attached speakers, plus an 8-track cassette player, in the early 1970s while I was stationed in Jacksonville FL.

But...the first serious purchases I ever made were made in the stereo shop of the Army exchange (PX) in Vicenza Italy in 1973.  It was there that I bought a Pioneer SX626 receiver and a Pioneer PL50A turntable (see!  I can remember model numbers!!!).  I also bought a pair of Coral speakers.  Never heard of them at the time and haven't seen any since, but they were splendid speakers (250 watts per speaker, IIRC).  The speakers were stolen some 15 years later when I was in Naples Italy, but I still have the receiver and turntable.

My first laserdisc player was a Pioneer model.  My first VHS was an RCA SelectaVision model...cost me nearly a thousand dollars at the time (1983-ish or '84-ish).  It was wonderful, too.  The slow motion feature was the best I've ever seen.

Of course, I invested in the RCA SelectaVision CED player, too.  Ah, me.  CED discs were amazing and had a better success rate, upon their introduction, of playability than did laserdiscs (which were prohibitively expenseive).  When "Star Wars" was issued on home video for the first time, it cost only $24.95 on CED disc.  The laser was nearly four times that amount.

Why it never caught on I'll never know.

The very first "new" (not used) TV that "I" bought for myself (my parents had bought me a new set one Christmas -- a GE model -- in 1979 or 1980) was a Sony 17-inch Trinitron that I purchased when I reitred from the Navy and was settling in here in Oakland.  I still have that set, by the way, and it's now in my bedroom since it was supplanted in my living room a couple of years back by my Panasonic 37-inch plasma HDTV.

My first CD player was a portable I bought in 1984 when I was first assigned to USS Carl Vinson here in the Bay Area.  I forget the make...it was a popular brand.  There were so few CDs to choose from (that suited my tastes) that it took me nearly a year to accumulate 10.   During a port visit in Honolulu, I went to a Sharper Image store and bought a pair of Bose Roommate speakers to complement my CD player (for those rare occasions when I could plug them in and play my music loudly...usually during a weekend stay in a motel on the island of Alameda).

« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 08:41:23 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DAW

« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2009, 08:42:47 AM »

Thank you, DR Jennifer!     :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2009, 08:45:30 AM »

My first CD player was some off brand that also have a turntable, cassette player/recorder, and radio tuner.  It played ONE cd.....it lasted about one year.....and I only had one CD in that time.....a classical CD that I had purchased for $1.  I thought cd's were not going to last and continued to buy LP's - until CD's were moved to the front of the store and LP's relegated to ONE bin in the back.

By then I had to get a new CD player, because the turntable in the system had ceased to function.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Laura

« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2009, 08:52:24 AM »

DR Cillaliz i'm curious what you thought of the premiere of DWTS....

I thought donny osmond was amazing, although did not vote for him. He is for sure gonna be top 4. But i was surprised how much i liked him.

Donny Osmond? You must vote for Donny Osmond. Do it for me. Please.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Kerry

« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2009, 08:52:29 AM »

And the word of the day is: OGIVE!

OGIVE me a home
Where the buffalo roam
Where the deer and the antelope play.

Where seldom is heard
A discouraging word
And the skies are not cloudy all day.

I have a version of this somewhere that is very much like Jonathan and Darlene's style. DR Kerry has heard it.

I was just hearing that very version in my mind.   May God help us all!
I like boat races.

Laura

« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2009, 08:54:00 AM »

I remember saving my one dollar allowance and my fifty cent per hour babysitting money so I could buy a tape recorder. I gave up everything (including the teen magazines with Donny Osmond) to save up. Just when I got within about five dollars of having enough, my parents gave one to me for my birthday.

Laura

« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2009, 08:54:48 AM »

And the word of the day is: OGIVE!

OGIVE me a home
Where the buffalo roam
Where the deer and the antelope play.

Where seldom is heard
A discouraging word
And the skies are not cloudy all day.

I have a version of this somewhere that is very much like Jonathan and Darlene's style. DR Kerry has heard it.

I was just hearing that very version in my mind.   May God help us all!

LOL! It's great.... in a Wing or Florence Foster Jenkins kind of way.

Julie

« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2009, 08:56:03 AM »

Good morning.  A rather hazy day today.

Julie

« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2009, 08:56:37 AM »

Health vibes to DR DAW and his DH.

MBarnum

« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2009, 08:56:38 AM »

R.I.P John Hart

Julie

« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2009, 08:57:14 AM »

Vibes to DR Jane and all who live close to the fires.

MBarnum

« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2009, 08:57:31 AM »

Now that you are friends with Rad, JRAnd, you must watch THE UNDERTAKER AND HIS PALS.

Julie

« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2009, 08:59:03 AM »

DR George -- I am going to the Kristina concert on Thursday.  I've been hearing about Kristina for years, and I'm very excited to finally get to see a concert version of it.  I got my ticket as soon as they went on sale - months ago!

MBarnum

« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2009, 09:01:51 AM »

TOD:

The first TV I bought myself was a 20 inch Toshiba, purchased in 1986 from the Bi-Mart that I worked at during our annual employee shopping night (which was always the week before Christmas). It was the last of the tvs to not have a remote control (I couldn't afford one with a remote). I had that tv up until I bought my Toshiba 42 inch LCD a couple of years back.

The other items on my list I haven't a clue about...I know my first answering machine was white with blue buttons and I had it for about 10 years or so.

Ginny

« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2009, 09:03:49 AM »

TOD - Sometime around 1966 or 1967, I saved up my babysitting money to buy an RCA Victor portable stereo record player with detachable speakers.  It was my first major purchase and I was very proud of it.  That unit saw me through high school, college, grad school, and the first year or so of my "Mary Tyler Moore" life.  I gave that player to a teacher friend for use in her classroom and replaced it with a Sony modular unit that also had an AM/FM radio.  I'm still using the speakers from that system with the combo record player/cassette player/CD player/radio that Richard gave me for Christmas several years ago.

My first tape recorder was a Panasonic portable cassette player/recorder that I bought for the voice lessons that a mutual friend of mine and DR Elmore's recommended in 1975.  I recently gave that to the AAUW garage sale.

We didn't have a CD player until Richard gave me a Sony "boom box" for Christmas in the 1990s that I still use here in my haven.  I know we didn't have a CD player when DR Elmore came to visit and brought copies of his then-new Showboat recording as a gift.  He'd brought both CDs and cassettes and we have the cassettes.

I bought my first TV - a small Sony B & W portable - in the mid-1970s and must have given it to the garage sale, too.  We looked around for it when Richard and Rob were taking stuff Saturday to the electronics recycling place and couldn't find it. 
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Julie

« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2009, 09:05:55 AM »

I went to Tommy Tune's show STEPS IN TIME last night, at the Gerald Lynch theater at John Jay College.  I wasn't sure what to expect -- I hadn't seen Tommy Tune perform in years.  I must say it was simply fabulous.  He looked, sounded, danced, all at top form.  He is one of the most charming and charismatic people to watch.  This was a one night only benefit performance, and it was not well advertised.  Very unfortunate, because the room should have been packed to the gills.  It wasn't, but it was nonetheless a very enthusiastic and appreciative crowd.  He was given a spontaneous standing ovation at one point in the middle of the show, -- very well-deserved, and he seemed genuinely moved by the moment.  I hope he is able to perform this show on a more regular basis in NY.  He's also been touring the show a bit.  If the opportunity to see him arises, I highly recommend it.   

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2009, 09:08:08 AM »

I plan on watching the new series FLASH FORWARD. Although it's on the same time as SURVIVOR. So i'll record it.

I don't think anybody here has seen it yet. But it's supposed to be one of the must see new shows. It sounds interesting.

The last time I looked, the entire pilot was available for viewing on iTunes for free.

Nope--never mind.  I either read it wrong or they yanked it. :-/
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 09:12:41 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DAW

« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2009, 09:14:11 AM »

Thank you, DR Julie!!

And thanks for your theatre reportage!        :)

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2009, 09:31:51 AM »

Mawnin', m'dears!

So, today is the last day of this glorious summer up here in the woods. It will be in the 80's - gasp!! Just for me!! Last minute tasks to ready the house for 7 months without me. I saw a deer this morning, when I went out to feed the jays - only the 2nd time this summer... only the 2nd time in the 9 years I've been here... magical last day in the forest.

Then, pack the car. Oy... tomorrow, head down to Jane and Keith's - it will be swell to hang with them and the pupster - who by now is a big boy!

TOD - my first cassette player/recorder ... 1972, as I was leaving for Noo Yawk and Juilliard, my singing teacher - Miss Long, may she rest in peace - gave me a brand new Sony. I kept it, and USED it, until last year, when I finally got rid of it. How I appreciated that gift, through the years.

Don't remember much about the other stuff... I'm tech-challenged, so the new toys are always quite alarming, and I'm resistant to having/using them. Even my new cell fone - I ONLY use it to make and receive phone calls. I can barely manage to read a text message, and I certainly can't figure out how to send one... oy...
PennyO

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2009, 09:33:12 AM »

Great to hear about the Tommy Tune show... geezers in tap shoes! wow... I remember seeing Chita and Gwen and Ann Miller tear up the stage in their dotage - put the kidz to shame, I tell ya!
PennyO

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2009, 09:53:13 AM »

I'm up after a very good night's sleep.  It's so nice to have silence again. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2009, 09:54:21 AM »

MattH, good news about the small jump in time for season three.  I looked on my channel list from DirecTV and only the SD AMC seems to be there.  Unless I'm looking at the list wrong, but I checked all of it, even the premium channels and it's only listed once.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2009, 09:54:37 AM »

Guess I'll try to do a jog in about thirty minutes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2009, 09:54:48 AM »

I do have some packages to ship today, too.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2009, 09:55:08 AM »

And the liner notes are the big order of the day.  I have been remiss, oh, yes, I have been remiss.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2009, 09:55:23 AM »

Count down to the new plateau.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2009, 10:41:39 AM »

The East Side is indeed a mess because of the United Nations and terrorist fears. Nothing can go down Lexington Avenue but selected vehicles from 59th Street to 48th Street. Given the horrible traffic, the bus took only 30 minutes between 79th and 55th, so I wasn't unhappy at all. The jammed traffic was awful and I watched an ambulance with a blaring siren have a helluva time getting through it all.

On the way back, I stopped at a lumber store and bought two sheets of playwood, which are being cut to my specifications as I type this. I will stop back tomorrow morning to pick them up.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2009, 11:10:17 AM »

Had my first PT appointment this morning.  Ow.  And oy.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Kerry

« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2009, 11:11:35 AM »

On the way back, I stopped at a lumber store and bought two sheets of playwood, which are being cut to my specifications as I type this. I will stop back tomorrow morning to pick them up.

Sounds awfully butch to me!
I like boat races.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up