Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: ONE OF THOSE DAYS  (Read 10784 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: ONE OF THOSE DAYS
« Reply #180 on: October 24, 2009, 10:21:11 PM »

WELCOME TO PAGE SEVEN!!!!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #181 on: October 24, 2009, 10:52:08 PM »

JRand, while you were watching The Painted Veil with Greta Garbo, I was watching the remake.   

Cillaliz

« Reply #182 on: October 24, 2009, 10:54:53 PM »

Well, it's time for sleep here.  The symphony was fabulous tonight. Our new conductor/musical director Ryan Haskins is great. Very young. He's got energy and whatever outreach he's doing to the young folks it seems to be working. Lots of young people and families I had never seen at the symphony before.  They had dueling pianos and even did a piece with the orchestra, pianos and the Mighty Wurlitzer.  It was fantastic.   

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #183 on: October 24, 2009, 10:56:37 PM »

Had my pasta, which was yummilicious, and a few snack-sized candies for dessert.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #184 on: October 24, 2009, 10:56:53 PM »

done viewing - which was for both pleasure and work.

Cillaliz

« Reply #185 on: October 24, 2009, 11:03:52 PM »

Here's  the review from the performance I saw tonight. 

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/entertainment/music/reviews/article_647db4ca-ebce-5fbf-95c5-a3798d0128a6.html
Wurlitzer highlights symphony performance
By Bruce R. Miller - bmiller@siouxcityjournal.com | Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 12:00 am
Put an organ with an orchestra and you're going to get surprises.

Saturday night, the Sioux City Symphony Orchestra unleashed the Mighty Wurlitzer with Saint-Saens' Symphony No. 3 and impressed in more ways than one.

Organist Rick Darrow didn't enter the piece until the orchestra had gotten a brisk start. When he did, the notes were barely noticeable. And then? Wow! The organ kicked into first gear, two pianists matched him and the brass got the perfect chance to strut their stuff. The number -- written by a composer who knew the organ better than just about anyone -- was a real treat, a great dessert after a pretty hearty main course.

The night's featured artists -- pianists Richard Steinbach and Howard Helvey -- were part of the organ symphony but their own taste treat wasn't the scheduled piece but an encore. Written by Darius Milhaud, the sprightly "Bazileira" showcased the two in fine fashion and provided the kind of excitement Francis Poulenc's Concerto in D Minor for Two Pianos and Orchestra couldn't. The extra number provided ample opportunity for both pianists to dazzle.

The concerto? Not so much. Helvey, in fact, didn't have the flashy part, just a very supportive one. He did well but this was not equal footing (or, for that matter, the kind of dual piano piece you'd expect). Members of the orchestra, in fact, got just as much of a workout.

Oboeist Heidi Venaas was solid throughout the evening, earning her own ovation for Ravel's Le Tombeau de Couperin. She helped bring a series of dances to life and provided ample support to both the concerto and the symphony.

Flutist Lori Linder, bassoonist John Tompkins and percussionist Tim Hillyer were also good. Toss in a harp and you know they're not just serving up the staples.

Conductor Ryan Haskins stirred all three pieces well, suggesting he's going to be a stickler for precision and timing. He's bringing out different elements in the orchestra, too, and he's not relying on the same cooks to serve it up.

The organ piece? That was a sure sign there's a new chef in town. It had plenty of spice and enough taste to delight everyone.

Steinbach and Helvey were like salt and pepper -- reliable elements that made the evening work.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 11:05:47 PM by Cillaliz »

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #186 on: October 24, 2009, 11:06:07 PM »

Just watched The Mummy again, and watched Troy last night.   I think Scorpion King will be for tomorrow, or maybe still tonight. 
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #187 on: October 24, 2009, 11:16:57 PM »

Hi JRand59, I hope I find something.
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #188 on: October 24, 2009, 11:18:50 PM »

Hi td

Sam

« Reply #189 on: October 24, 2009, 11:20:21 PM »

Great pictures Jose,  I'm glad everyone looks simply marvelous.

Sam

« Reply #190 on: October 24, 2009, 11:23:03 PM »

Back to my life in progress.    Today my hair is chocolate.    I said no more red, lets go more to my natural color, maybe start letting the grey grow in.   So now my hair is chocolate (looks rather deep velvet purple to me).

MBarnum

« Reply #191 on: October 24, 2009, 11:23:37 PM »

What fun NY pics! I am glad you all had such a wonderful time!

Sam

« Reply #192 on: October 24, 2009, 11:27:09 PM »

Weird movies.  I love weird movies, even if it takes me days to watch it.   Not creepy movies though, creepy is just creepy.

Michael

« Reply #193 on: October 24, 2009, 11:30:35 PM »

If you go to this site

http://www.johnnyxmovie.com/ghastlyvision/mp0002.php

and click on the filming Johnny X link you will see our esteemed BK in his cameo right at the beginning of the clip
Never stop dreaming.

MBarnum

« Reply #194 on: October 24, 2009, 11:31:40 PM »

Had a lovely day of watching movies combined with doing some necessary yard work and laundry...now I am pooped.

I did get half way through tonight's Bollywood movie, a 2005 potboiler titled CHAAHAT EK NASHA. starring my newest fave Aryan Vaid. I will save the rest for my dreams for tomorrow.

Sam

« Reply #195 on: October 24, 2009, 11:32:34 PM »

Good night.

Wonderful happiness for Sunday  ;)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #196 on: October 24, 2009, 11:45:09 PM »

Tonight, I'm ushering for An Evening with Groucho featuring Frank Ferrante.  This morning, there was a free "comedy workshop" with Frank!  Because the website was never updated about the time/place, it was essentially just five people sitting around and chatting with Frank.  He talked about how he discovered The Marx Brothers on TV, how he decided to be a comic actor, how he met a lot of famous people (Groucho himself, Milton Berle, etc.) and it was great.  We all chatted and there really wasn't any real "workshop"ing.  But a good time was had by all.  Tonight's show should be a lot of fun. 

Have a good evening, all!

Tonight, I went to see "An Evening with Groucho featuring Frank Ferrante" and I must say that it was a wonderful evening!  A great time was had by all!  It was basically Frank telling about the life of Groucho Marx while doing some of Groucho's act.  There was a pianist who was wonderful, also.  Groucho (Frank) interacted with the audience at times and really knew how to hold your attention and be funny.  If you ever get a chance to see this show, DO! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #197 on: October 24, 2009, 11:52:00 PM »

As for Finain's Rainbow - it's the complete package.  Great music, of course, and this production's set, costumes, and choreography are both classic and fresh at the same time.  I hope it's a HUGE hit that gets many Tony nominations.  And I want a recording - ASAP!

Oh, I would give anything to be at the opening weekend of FINIAN'S RAINBOW.  I am so excited for Larry (and, of course, Cheyenne)!

Ditto and Ditto...and Ditto! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #198 on: October 25, 2009, 12:01:04 AM »

TOD:

The strangest movie I have ever seen was FELLINI SATYRICON.

I only watched it because I was interviewing a guy who was in it. I would never willingly watch it again.

I watched part of this...I couldn't finish it. :P

George

« Reply #199 on: October 25, 2009, 12:01:34 AM »

Love the HHW Get Together pictures from NYC!!

George

« Reply #200 on: October 25, 2009, 12:01:55 AM »

Gratuitous Post #200!

George

« Reply #201 on: October 25, 2009, 12:02:37 AM »

Tonight, I'm ushering for An Evening with Groucho featuring Frank Ferrante.  This morning, there was a free "comedy workshop" with Frank!  Because the website was never updated about the time/place, it was essentially just five people sitting around and chatting with Frank.  He talked about how he discovered The Marx Brothers on TV, how he decided to be a comic actor, how he met a lot of famous people (Groucho himself, Milton Berle, etc.) and it was great.  We all chatted and there really wasn't any real "workshop"ing.  But a good time was had by all.  Tonight's show should be a lot of fun. 

Have a good evening, all!

Did he happen to mention why he broke up with Louis Teicher?

Nothing of the sort was mentioned. ::)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up