Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ONE OF THOSE DAYS  (Read 10829 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re: ONE OF THOSE DAYS
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2009, 02:09:05 PM »

Good day, all and one.

I'm having a very enjoyable, leisurely three-day weekend.

Yesterday, I slept in and then got myself presentable enough to go out for a nice luncheon at Lake Chalet.

I had a wonderful lunch talking with my friend who, a week from now, will be retiring from his job with the City of Oakland.

When I got home, I found a package in my mailbox from a DR who lives in Portland, Oregon.  Inside the package were two CD-Rs of the score to "Camelot".

I spent the next couple of hours revisiting the glories of Alfred Newman's exquisite adaptation of that show's score for film.  And I sincerely thank the generous Jeffrey Kaufmann -in front of all Hainsies/Kimlets reading this -- for sending the CD-Rs.

Much appreciated, Jeff.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2009, 02:12:43 PM »

While I ate lunch, I watched UGLY BETTY. Another tiresome bit of Betty stupidity (letting a potentially important client slip out of her grasp because she couldn't control her curiosity).

It was great to see Connor again.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2009, 02:15:05 PM »

Then, I watched all of the bonus features on disc 2 of the WINGS OF DESIRE DVD set. (The Blu-ray will be one disc). Wonderful bonuses which have me all primed to watch WINGS OF DESIRE again. Haven't seen it in a long time (at least a decade), so this evening should be memorable. The movie has always been very touching to me.

MBarnum

« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2009, 02:21:21 PM »

Just finished watching the 1958 film FRANKENSTEIN 1970. It was rather dull, and I blame much of it on the cast...I liked Jana Lund, Donald Barry, and Charlotte Austin, but the rest seemed like they were completely disinterested in being in the film...well, except for Karloff who was chewing so much scenery I am suprised there was anything left of the castle set by the time the filming was done.

Howard W. Koch has made much more enjoyable films in directing career then this one.

I am now listening to the commentary which, however, I am finding entertaining.

I am very glad I rented this and didn't buy it.

MBarnum

« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2009, 02:23:23 PM »

DR JMK, I must say that I am sorry you switched the type of DVD reviews you do. I much prefered hearing your thoughts on films like FRANKENSTEIN 1970 then on opera.

Michael

« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2009, 02:25:21 PM »

El Topo (Mexican film by Alexandro Jordowsky sp?)
or The Holy Mountain.

Both were very strange one of them showed a man's sac being cut off.
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2009, 02:31:50 PM »

Watching another William Castle film right now.

Matt H.

« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2009, 02:35:19 PM »

TOD:

SWEET MOVIE was certainly among the most bizarre sights I've ever viewed in terms of film, but years before that in a film theory class I took, we saw the Polish film BARRIER, and it was another truly bizarre, unsettling (unlke SWEET MOVIE, not nauseating), and strange bit of political symbolism.

Matt H.

« Reply #98 on: October 24, 2009, 02:36:41 PM »

Now, I will head downstairs so I can watch WINGS OF DESIRE. It has a commentary, too, so most of my evening will be given over to this classic movie.

WBBL.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #99 on: October 24, 2009, 02:40:17 PM »

I spent the next couple of hours revisiting the glories of Alfred Newman's exquisite adaptation of that show's score for film.  And I sincerely thank the generous Jeffrey Kaufmann -in front of all Hainsies/Kimlets reading this -- for sending the CD-Rs.

Much appreciated, Jeff.

Is he any relation to Jeffrey Kauffman?  ;)

I'm glad they got there, and I apologize again they took so long to make their way to the land of Oak.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #100 on: October 24, 2009, 02:41:09 PM »

I must hie myself to the home entertainment room to take screenshots of way too many BD's.  MattH, do you have a bevy of November 3 releases, too?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2009, 02:55:37 PM »

Well since i just got home, and since my niece is not staying over (she's not feeling well) i am gonna catch up on some tv: MEDIUM, GHOST WHISPERER, UGLY BETTY.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2009, 03:28:03 PM »

We'd best be off page four very soon.  That said, William Castle is not funny.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2009, 03:28:35 PM »

At least not when he's trying to be funny.  He can be droll in the scary gimmick films, but in his comedies he is mirthless.

Cillaliz

« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2009, 03:47:14 PM »

It's raining here. And it's not supposed to stop all day. Yuck!

It's rained here almost all month.,   Today was supposed to be sunny....it rained

Cillaliz

« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2009, 03:50:33 PM »

Just FYI - The USPS only charges a surcharge ($12.50) for Sunday delivery of an Express Mail package.

Otherwise:

Express Mail® is our fastest service for time-sensitive letters, documents or merchandise. Guaranteed overnight delivery to most locations or your money back.

Express Mail Features:
   The fastest way to send packages.
   Find the guaranteed delivery time
   Delivery to most destinations 365 days a year – even Sundays and holidays.
   No Saturday delivery charges, no residential surcharges, no fuel surcharges.
   Free tracking information.
   The only overnight delivery to mailboxes and P.O. Boxes.
   Signature proof of delivery upon request.
   Save when you print and pay for postage online.

And their Flat Rate Envelope costs just $17.50 "regardless of weight or distance".

I use Express Maill for a lot of my immigration applications that are time sensitive and because the tracking works very well.  I have had problems from time to time with  priority mai but never with Express mail. 

MBarnum

« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2009, 03:52:24 PM »

I am now ironing shirts and burnt my arm and contemplating what to watch next on DVD or DVR.

Perhaps THE MONROES or perhaps KING OF THE ZOMBIES.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #107 on: October 24, 2009, 03:53:18 PM »

I agree with TCB.  The mystery being solved was rather boring.

Thanks, Sam.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Laura

« Reply #108 on: October 24, 2009, 03:55:18 PM »

I am now ironing shirts and burnt my arm and contemplating what to watch next on DVD or DVR.

Um, MBarnum, you are supposed to iron the shirt BEFORE you put it on.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2009, 03:56:01 PM »

Yesterday, Druxy posted:

I don't recall where I found this, but I assume it is from Shakespeare:

"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind. ...
How do I know? For this is what I have done. And I am Caesar."

Sorry, only Streisand believed this Internet Hoax:

See:

http://snopes.com/quotes/caesar.asp

and URBAN LEGENDS

It has also been attributed (most famously by a red-faced Barbra Streisand) to William Shakespeare, who presumably would have composed the lines for his historical play, "Julius Caesar" — but they're nowhere to be found there, either. Apart from one small phrase, "And I am Caesar," which vaguely echoes the closing words of a couplet in the play ("I rather tell thee what is to be fear'd / Than what I fear; for always I am Caesar."), the language is anachronistic and distinctly un-Shakespearean. The words "patriotism" and "citizenry" were unknown in Elizabethan England. The Bard's Julius Caesar spoke in iambic pentameter, not mediocre prose.

Short of the culprit stepping forward, there's little likelihood of ascertaining who did write this politically convenient baloney, but we know it wasn't Shakespeare and we can be reasonably sure it wasn't Julius Caesar. It does, however, bear all the markings of a "classic" Internet hoax.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2009, 03:58:52 PM »

Perhaps THE MONROES or perhaps KING OF THE ZOMBIES.

The later would go best with the smell of sizzling flesh permeating your environment.

der Brucer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2009, 04:00:39 PM »

You are supposed to take the shirt off before you iron it.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DERBRUCER

« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2009, 04:07:29 PM »

Um, MBarnum, you are supposed to iron the shirt BEFORE you put it on.

NOW you tell him!

der Brucer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #113 on: October 24, 2009, 04:44:26 PM »

I'm glad that www.kritzerland.com seems to be up and running!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #114 on: October 24, 2009, 04:44:47 PM »

Had a productive and fun day of viewing so far. I began by watching last night's MEDIUM. It was already on HD On Demand, but I had also recorded the 3:32 a.m. showing (moved there due to a local station preemption), and when I check to see how it recorded, it was in HD as well (big surprise!), so I just watched it from that DVR recording.

One of the best MEDIUM episodes ever, and most definitely the best of the season. I loved every minute of this story and also Marie/Bridgette's storyline.

I haven't watched this (or Ghost Whisperer) yet.  Hopefully, tomorrow night. 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2009, 04:45:08 PM »

Tonight, I'm ushering for An Evening with Groucho featuring Frank Ferrante.  This morning, there was a free "comedy workshop" with Frank!  Because the website was never updated about the time/place, it was essentially just five people sitting around and chatting with Frank.  He talked about how he discovered The Marx Brothers on TV, how he decided to be a comic actor, how he met a lot of famous people (Groucho himself, Milton Berle, etc.) and it was great.  We all chatted and there really wasn't any real "workshop"ing.  But a good time was had by all.  Tonight's show should be a lot of fun. 

Have a good evening, all!

DAW

« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2009, 05:22:04 PM »

We also greatly enjoyed the premiere episode of White Collar!    :D

DAW

« Reply #117 on: October 24, 2009, 05:23:31 PM »

Getting ready for a big day tomorrow.  My DH will be playing on a Halloween organ recital.  Dressed as a nun.  And I have to lead the "pumpkin carols."   Don't ask.     :P

Jennifer

« Reply #118 on: October 24, 2009, 05:56:51 PM »

They finally put the schedule/details for the H1N1 flu shots in the paper today.

Everyone can get them for free. They start next week. But there is a schedule based on priority. I think I am the last priority which is dec 7th. Although they said they would not turn away anyone who went early.

It's sort of weird because my sister is in the 2nd group (parents with kids under 6 months). Then my niece is in the 3rd group. And my other niece will be 6 months soon, so she will go then too.  But i am around them 4 times a week. So if i give them the germs it won't really be good.

I may go with them in the 3rd group (or maybe since i am around them so much i am included in the 3rd group).

The first group is health care workers, daycare workers ...

The second group also includes people with diabetes and other problems.

I'll be curious to see how busy the places are (since many people may not be getting the shots). It is weird they are doing them at malls at schools (instead of medical places).

Laura

« Reply #119 on: October 24, 2009, 05:56:52 PM »

I am dying to ask.
"That's a lotta hamsters."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up