Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MUSIC OF THE NIGHT  (Read 16032 times)

DAW

Re: THE MUSIC OF THE NIGHT
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2009, 06:06:21 AM »

Congratulations to DR JoseSPiano on being "published" in Australia!

Viva la Choinkwich!!       :D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 06:08:53 AM by DAW »

DAW

« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2009, 06:10:21 AM »

DR TCB - if the sheep were only scared after they saw you - well, there's a lesson there somewhere.         ;)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2009, 06:16:54 AM »

TOD:

I have no idea what the first classical music I ever heard would have been.  It's not that I was raised on it but it was played in the house as I grew up, either on TV or in the form of LPs.  I can recall a number of "Best of" sets that were either given out or sold for cheap from a super-market--Beethoven, Rachmaninoff and Mozart are the albums I clearly remember being in our record collection.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2009, 06:24:00 AM »

Good morning, all! I think perhaps I will walk down to the Juilliard Bookstore today and check out the Finale 2010 situation. I like browsing among the music and books so I have an additional excuse to go now.

I believe the battery on my carbon monoxide monitor was dying last night; it began chirping around 1 am and continued until I got out of bed, removed it from the wall and removed its battery. I jyst put a new battery in and it seems to be happy once again.

DR TCB! It's good to know you are well and it sounds as though you are having a good time. I am loking forward to the photos.

I learned to read around the age of three or four and the family parlor game was to have me pull records. In 1949 my favrite recording was Khatchaturian's Sabre Dance from the ballet Gayne, recorded by the Boston Pops. It's still one of my favorite pieces and I'm still fond of ballet music, particularly Tchaikovsky, Delibes, and Stravinsky. I'm also still fond of the excellent underrated conductor Arthur Fiedler and the wonderful Boston Pops whose silly recording of "I Want To Hold Your Hand" turned me on to the Beatles. This morning I am listening to Jorge Bolet play Lizst piano pieces; surely the "Mephisto Waltz" is the the source of Sondheim's vamp for "A Weekend in the Country"?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 06:46:22 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2009, 06:45:14 AM »

Wow Page Three before 10 a.m.!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2009, 06:45:48 AM »

DR Julie, I meant to answer your FR inquiry. I doubt I'll be at the show tomorrow. I know this cold is getting passed around backstage and I know that several of the cast have been out because of it. I think I'll stay away for a few more days.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2009, 06:46:33 AM »

I probably heard some other classical music!  But I purchases the 45 rpm Extended Play record of Mr Van Cliburn playing the Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto Number One in B Flat Minor - soon after I saw him on television.  Still one of my favorite recordings of my favorite classical number.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2009, 06:46:42 AM »

Where's DR KevinH gone to?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2009, 06:47:12 AM »

I need to do a bit of readjustment among the video apparatus.  I am not sure I will be successful, but we shall see.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2009, 06:47:40 AM »

Yes the vacation we are taking with DR TCB is most enjoyable.

I will add vibes for MR BK for the Holy Grail news.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2009, 06:47:46 AM »

TOD:

The first piece of classical music that really stuck with me was Chopin's "Polonaise," which I first heard in the movie, A SONG TO REMEMBER w/Paul Muni, Merle Oberon and Cornel Wilde.

I hope I spelled it right.
You can dream…or you can do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2009, 06:48:06 AM »

He said your name and ran out screaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2009, 06:49:58 AM »

I really loved that movie, DR DRUXY.  Channel Six used to show it late on Saturday night on their "Best of Hollywood" series....IN COLOR!!!  They also sometimes showed A SONG TO REMEMBER with Mr Dirk Bogarde pounding away at a dummy piano and missing many notes that nonetheless showed up on the soundtrack.  This was also IN COLOR!!!!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2009, 06:50:06 AM »

Good morning!

A beautiful day here if a bit cooler than yesterday. I didn't get to take my walk this morning because I was at the dentist, but I did the rest of my workout on schedule.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2009, 06:52:13 AM »

TOD: I'm guessing it was the Van Cliburn rendition of that Tchaikovsky concerto on LP that was my first conscious exposure to classical music, but as I went with my aunt to many concerts, it was just too long ago to be sure about that.

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2009, 06:54:33 AM »

I'll be continuing with THE GOLDEN AGE OF TELEVISION today (hoping to finish it up) even if FIGHT CLUB does arrive. I want to finish this box set to clear the decks for whatever does come.

After that, and prior to FIGHT CLUB unless it comes today, will be the Blu-ray of SANTA BUDDIES, another of those talking dog made-for-home video things that Disney has made a mint of money with.

Matt H.

« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2009, 06:55:49 AM »

I always enjoyed A BUG'S LIFE and was never disappointed with it. MONSTERS, INC. is still my least favorite Pixar movie (that includes CARS which I also like quite a bit).

Matt H.

« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2009, 06:56:52 AM »

It is really chilly in my office this morning. I really need to go turn the heat up in the house. Usually the office is warm even if the downstairs is cool, but not this morning!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2009, 07:03:07 AM »

Now what the Hell do you do with 32 ounces of beef? 

You have at least come to the right place to ask that question.   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2009, 07:07:35 AM »

We signed the listing agreement last night on this house and have priced really aggressively, even for this market, so I am hoping we can sell.  Portland's real estate market is actually pretty good compared to the rest of the country and our realtor had charts showing median prices were rising and inventory was declining, actually pretty precipitously.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2009, 07:13:15 AM »

TOD:

The first piece of classical music that really stuck with me was Chopin's "Polonaise," which I first heard in the movie, A SONG TO REMEMBER w/Paul Muni, Merle Oberon and Cornel Wilde.

I hope I spelled it right.

You did spell it correctly, but I suspect the Polonaise in question is the one termed the "military" one since Chopin wrote many polonaises for piano. He also wrote one for cello and piano which my good friend Gary Holt, now at the Cologne conservatory in Germany, played for his graduate cello recital. My favorite non-Chopin versions of the Polish dance (also called polacca) include the one at the opening of Act Two of THE MERRY WIDOW, Tschaikovsky's Act Three "Entrance of the Guests" from THE SLEEPING BEAUTY, and Trude Rittman's opening to "When The Idle Poor Become The Idle Rich" in FINIAN'S RAINBOW. Speaking of my beloved Trude, she was a graduate of the Cologne Conservatory.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 07:18:57 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2009, 07:14:30 AM »

He said your name and ran out screaming.

Malheursement! the curse of a vibrant personality.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2009, 07:15:47 AM »

Now what the Hell do you do with 32 ounces of beef? 

You have at least come to the right place to ask that question.   ;D

I was going to suggest he write to DR MBarnum. There must be some fantasy he can recommend.

Matt H.

« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2009, 07:24:10 AM »

I have some office matters to tinker with and then I'll head down to watch the next GOLDEN AGE OF TELEVISION presentation:

BANG THE DRUM SLOWLY with Paul Newman and Albert Salmi. Looking forward to this as I've never seen it, and didn't even know there had been a TV version of that story.

WBBL.

JMK

« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2009, 07:24:12 AM »

I'm sure I was exposed (not a euphemism) to all the "usual suspects" as a child--Peter and the Wolf, The Nutcracker, Bolero, etc.  And of course I had to make it through the classical piano repertoire at an early age.  But I can tell you the first transcendental listening experience I had with classical music, and it was when I was probably 16 or 17.  It was the Bruno Walter recording of Brahms 4.  Suddenly the universe made sense to me.  At least for a half hour or so.  :)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2009, 07:30:25 AM »

I expect my intro to classical music was through Disney with such things as Peter & The Wolf and Fantasia.  I know my parents had recordings of Grieg's Peer Gynt and Dovark's New World Symphony, as well as a 78 of Rhapsody in Blue.  I remember the first piece I ever sought out to buy was Vaughn Williams' Symphonia Anarctica, which was actually his score for the film, Scott of Anarctica.  I heard  it on the radio one night and went crazy for it.  We play the spooky thing every Halloween and always get comments from the parents of trick-or-treaters about it.

One of my favourite introductions to classical music was listening to Moon River every weekday night on my transistor radio.  It was a show that emanated out of Cincinnati and was poetry read to organ music, usually of a classical nature.

JMK

« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2009, 07:37:28 AM »

Not a classical music memory, but one of my earliest "listening" memories had to do with the first television I remember from my toddler years.  It was a gigantic blonde Sears Silvertone black and white console (on metal legs)--a big, square boxy thing with what was probably a 20 inch or so screen.  The top lifted up and there was a record player inside (not, of course, a stereo, and I don't even think it was officially a "hi-fi").  My parents had a stack of old 78s they kept in the living room and I remember to this day putting on the old Edward R. Murrow "You Can Hear it Now" 78s, only to discover the tonearm had no needle in it.  So I then discovered if I placed my fingernail ever so gingerly on the record, I could actually hear it!  I still remember the sensation of the sound vibrations on my finger and how funny it was to hear the radio broadcasts emanating from my fingernail.

Jennifer

« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2009, 07:38:42 AM »

DR Cillaliz i think tonight's DANCING WITH THE STARS elimination should be interesting.

IMO any one of the 4 could go. Mya is clearly the best. And I believe Derek is the most popular professional dancer. Donny Osmond and Kelly Osbourne are probably more popular than joanna and mya.

I felt so bad for donny (he had a horrible first dance and got caught in kym's dress hem).

I actually hope it is kelly who goes tonight, even though she did better than donny last night. I think overall he is stronger than she is.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2009, 07:48:40 AM »

Not a classical music memory, but one of my earliest "listening" memories had to do with the first television I remember from my toddler years.  It was a gigantic blonde Sears Silvertone black and white console (on metal legs)--a big, square boxy thing with what was probably a 20 inch or so screen.  The top lifted up and there was a record player inside (not, of course, a stereo, and I don't even think it was officially a "hi-fi").  My parents had a stack of old 78s they kept in the living room and I remember to this day putting on the old Edward R. Murrow "You Can Hear it Now" 78s, only to discover the tonearm had no needle in it.  So I then discovered if I placed my fingernail ever so gingerly on the record, I could actually hear it!  I still remember the sensation of the sound vibrations on my finger and how funny it was to hear the radio broadcasts emanating from my fingernail.

Did you feel like Helen Keller?

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2009, 07:56:56 AM »

I really loved that movie, DR DRUXY.  Channel Six used to show it late on Saturday night on their "Best of Hollywood" series....IN COLOR!!!  They also sometimes showed A SONG TO REMEMBER with Mr Dirk Bogarde pounding away at a dummy piano and missing many notes that nonetheless showed up on the soundtrack.  This was also IN COLOR!!!!

I think that the Dirk Bogarde movie is called SONG WITHOUT END, or am I mistaken?
You can dream…or you can do.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up