Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: 'TIS THE SEASON TO BE JOLLY  (Read 26474 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:'TIS THE SEASON TO BE JOLLY
« Reply #240 on: December 01, 2007, 05:09:43 PM »

Have to get my triple-shot Peet's latte.

Is that a 16 oz?  Keith does 3 shots in a 16 oz.  Mostly he gets 4 shots in a 20 oz,  It's a real treat when it can be from Peet's.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #241 on: December 01, 2007, 05:10:48 PM »

The phone calls haven't started here yet. We'll probably unplug the phone when they start.

Does this have to do with the political process, or are you referring to Sandra's new photographer boyfriend?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 05:15:13 PM by bk »

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #243 on: December 01, 2007, 05:15:45 PM »

Count me in the group that likes Sleepy Hollow and Big Fish.  Fish especially was so anachranostic for Burton that I was pleasantly surprised.

Cilla, I don't think your (or anyone's) vote is ever "wasted"--that's what voting is, expressing a preference.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #244 on: December 01, 2007, 05:16:29 PM »

The political calls.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Cillaliz

« Reply #245 on: December 01, 2007, 05:23:37 PM »

Cilla: Thank-you for explaining the political process in Iowa, particularly in your articulate way.  It's so good to have this kind of discussion without the rhetoric that can make things nasty when they don't have to be.

To your knowledge, does the Republican party mirror the Democrat in how the delegates are selected?  Or are there differences?

Thanks Woody. Actually I did caucus as a Republican once and it's much different.   I found this description on "How it Works" and it looks accurate to me

The Republican caucus voting system in Iowa is relatively straightforward: You come in, you vote, typically through secret ballot, and the percentages of the group supporting each candidate decides what delegates will go on to the county convention.

The Democrats have a more complex system -- in fact, it's one of the most complex pieces of the entire presidential election. In a typical caucus, registered democrats gather at the precinct meeting places (there are 1,993 precincts statewide), supporters for each candidate have a chance to make their case, and then the participants gather into groups supporting particular candidates (undecided voters also cluster into a group). In order for a particular group to be viable, they must have a certain percentage of the all the caucus participants. If they don't have enough people, the group disbands, and its members go to another group. The percentage cut-off is determined by the number of delegates assigned to the precinct. It breaks down like this:

If the precinct has only one delegate, the group with the most people wins the delegate vote, and that's it.
If the precinct has only two delegates, each group needs 25 percent to be viable.
If the precinct has only three delegates, each group needs one-sixth of the caucus participants.
If the precinct has four or more delegates, each group needs at least 15 percent of the caucus participants.
Once the groups are settled, the next order of business is to figure out how many of that precinct's delegates each group (and by extension, each candidate) should win. Here's the formula:

(Number of people in the group * number of delegates)/ number of caucus participants

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #246 on: December 01, 2007, 05:25:32 PM »

...Sweeney Todd....I am looking forward to it, but Mr. Burton's track record in the last ten years doesn't give me a ton of hope.
I was going to protest, but the last film of Burton's that really got me to say "WOW" was Sleepy Hollow, which dates back to '99.  While I enjoyed Big Fish and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, they were more "wow," lower case.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Cillaliz

« Reply #247 on: December 01, 2007, 05:27:31 PM »

Does this have to do with the political process, or are you referring to Sandra's new photographer boyfriend?

Political calls. I have had perfectly good conversations interrupted by recordings of Hillary Clinton, Chris Dodd etc..then there are the callers who are reading a script and the young kids who get all bummed out if you don't give them the answer they want.  They can call until 9:00 PM. Most call during dinner

Cillaliz

« Reply #248 on: December 01, 2007, 05:28:38 PM »

Oh, I thought you were talking to me DR TCB. I'm sure Laura will get the same thing

Ginny

« Reply #249 on: December 01, 2007, 05:29:44 PM »

The last thing my boss said to me as we left the library today was, "Go home and root for Oklahoma."  That's because if Oklahoma beats Missouri and/or Pitt beats West Virginia tonight, Ohio State gets to play for the national championship.  So, I'm kind of watching both games, while visiting with our DS Rob who came home to regroup for final exams next week and getting out Christmas decorations.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #250 on: December 01, 2007, 05:31:28 PM »

Cillaliz, we will probably all unplug our phones this year. I'm sure it is going to be unbelievable.

Last year, we were out of town for a couple days, and when we came home, the entire answering machine was full with political calls.

Cillaliz

« Reply #251 on: December 01, 2007, 05:33:21 PM »

Count me in the group that likes Sleepy Hollow and Big Fish.  Fish especially was so anachranostic for Burton that I was pleasantly surprised.

Cilla, I don't think your (or anyone's) vote is ever "wasted"--that's what voting is, expressing a preference.

I agree. Especially during the caucuses. We take them very seriously and we know it can mean the end of a campaign for a candidate is looming.  Even if your candidate isn't a front runner, it can show that they do have support and can make a difference in what happens next in their political career. Truthfully, most of the democrats I know are thrilled that we have so many good candidates to choose from for a change.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #252 on: December 01, 2007, 05:39:01 PM »

...God Bless our DVR!

When did it sneeze?   ???
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #253 on: December 01, 2007, 05:41:18 PM »

Has anyone else seen the commercial for the Jeep Liberty with the guy and the animals singing ROCK ME GENTLY?  This ad makes me smile. ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTLcZ1BCmms

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Cillaliz

« Reply #254 on: December 01, 2007, 05:43:31 PM »

Has anyone else seen the commercial for the Jeep Liberty with the guy and the animals singing ROCK ME GENTLY?  This ad makes me smile. ;D

Thanks TCB, I haven't seen it on TV for awhile, it was fun to see it again

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #255 on: December 01, 2007, 05:53:27 PM »

People seem to be leaving out Mr. Burton's horrid Planet Of The Apes remake.  The last Burton film I kind of liked was Ed Wood.

JMK

« Reply #256 on: December 01, 2007, 05:56:17 PM »

In something of a holiday miracle, I have knocked out the bare bones of arrangements for both "Light Sings" and "And We Were Lovers."

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #257 on: December 01, 2007, 06:00:15 PM »

People seem to be leaving out Mr. Burton's horrid Planet Of The Apes remake....
Well, duh!  (insert snarky comment here:__________)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #258 on: December 01, 2007, 06:01:28 PM »

Torchwood is on in just a few minutes.  I need to wrest the TV away from der Brucer and Tom Selleck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #259 on: December 01, 2007, 06:02:16 PM »

We're also not paying attention to Corpse Bride.  Oh, well.

Jane

« Reply #260 on: December 01, 2007, 06:03:15 PM »

Angel & Nicky are very cute.  Today I said to Sherlock, "where's Daddy".  First he ran to the frig & then peeked into the pantry where his treats his dried fish treats are kept.

JMK

« Reply #261 on: December 01, 2007, 06:08:18 PM »

Today at a major regional retailer I may or may not have accidentally collided my shopping cart with a display of jewelry, which may or may not have tumbled pell-mell to the floor.  My youngest son may or may not have said under his breath, "Walk quietly away from the crime scene."  :)

Jane

« Reply #262 on: December 01, 2007, 06:12:16 PM »

JANE _DON"T LOOK!!!!

;D Difficult not too.  You might have said DON'T READ THE DETAILS! ;)

Ginny

« Reply #263 on: December 01, 2007, 06:14:16 PM »

Rob and I just saw it during one of the football games - he hadn't seen it before and liked it a lot.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JMK

« Reply #264 on: December 01, 2007, 06:22:08 PM »

Pacific Pops just did Time of Our Lives from the Jeep commercials at our last concert.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #265 on: December 01, 2007, 06:22:56 PM »

Glad i have an unlisted number
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Jane

« Reply #266 on: December 01, 2007, 06:47:25 PM »

I tried, but no matter how many times I typed in the characters they asked me to, I never got to vote...I kept getting another group of characters.

Typed in characters??  I clicked on the picture & then clicked on Vote.

There weren't enough choices on some of them. I couldn't find The Closer or any of the cast for the show. ???

I did vote for "Life".

Jane

« Reply #267 on: December 01, 2007, 06:49:28 PM »

Did I miss the spot where it tells you to vote?

There is a link to the People's Choice voting.

Jane

« Reply #268 on: December 01, 2007, 07:07:55 PM »

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #269 on: December 01, 2007, 07:11:58 PM »

It was nice to have some rain today.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up